• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
hqdefault.jpg

Dropsy Trailer

Dropsy is so freaking creepy but the animation and colors palette are on point!
That looks amazing. Sept. 10 goes onto my calendar.

Conezays

...ok. Not saying you didn't.

Yes sir! Back in the saddle but this time he did a bit of development. In my interview I am going to pick his brain about returning to music. Not sure he will or has plans to but that will be one aspect of his work we talk about.

Nice, that sounds like a blast. Good luck with that!

I loved Contradiction, but found lots of spelling/grammar errors throughout the text/subtitles. I tweeted Tim that I would love to help out on the sequel with the subtitles :p (related to my line of work). Hopefully I didn't offend him.

RetroMG

not sure where else to ask without accidentally getting spoiled so...

is Life is Strange any good? in the mood for a nice, Summery adventure game. female led is a nice touch, too.

I haven't played much of it, (I was planning to dig into it, maybe this weekend,) but I have heard that it gets pretty dark/dramatic. Not sure if that conflicts with "Summery."

Anyone want to confirm/deny in a spoiler-free fashion?

Dsyndrome

I haven't played much of it, (I was planning to dig into it, maybe this weekend,) but I have heard that it gets pretty dark/dramatic. Not sure if that conflicts with "Summery."

Dark / dramatic in that some people in life are shitheads, and sometimes life gives you a bad hand; also, choices can have vast consequences. That should be pretty spoiler-free.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I love it to death. It's more of a visual novel than an adventure game though. Very modern-era Telltale except a lot more interesting.

thanks, that's enough for me! this is my last free "be a bum" weekend for the Summer, so i wanted to go all in on an adventure-y game

knowing it's more VN than traditional is actually bonus, as i just wanna go through a story with more 'choices' than puzzles

Those of you interested in the release of classic adventure games for modern systems will hopefully find this post interesting. Sorry for the length.

I have read a few comments, maybe not in this thread, but in others that classic game releases have slowed down on Gog. I didn't think that was the case so I decided to do a bit of research into the release schedule of classic adventure games on Gog. I used MaGog's search engine and my own interpretation of the genre so I apologize for any omissions. I compiled a list of the release schedule of pre-2000 adventure games (The Golden Era) on Gog over the past five years. (Note: I also included remakes and remasters in the list as well). Here's what I found grouped by year of release on Gog with the original release date in parentheses.

2011 Classic Game Releases
Atlantis: The Lost Tales (1997)
Dragonsphere (1994)
The Last Express (1997)
Normality (1996)
Police Quest Collection (1987)
Return to Zork (1993)
The Zork Anthology (1989)
Zork: Grand Inquisitor (1997)
Zork Nemesis (1996)
Total Releases: 9

2012 Classic Game Releases
The 11th Hour (1995)
The 7th Guest (1993)
The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time (1998)
Quest for Glory 1-5 (1989)
Torin's Passage (1995)
Total Releases: 5

2013 Classic Game Releases
Dracula Trilogy (1999)
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins (1994)
Flight of the Amazon Queen (1995)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (1995)
Inherit the Earth (1994)
The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One (1992)
The Legend of Kyrandia: Book Two (1993)
The Legend of Kyrandia: Book Three (1994)
Leisure Suit Larry Collection (1987)
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail (1996)
Total Releases: 10

2014 Classic Game Releases
Bad Mojo Redux (2004)
Harvester (1996)
The Hugo Trilogy (1990)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)
The Journeyman Project 1 (1997)
The Labyrinth of Time (1993)
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (1992)
Sam & Max: Hit the Road (1993)
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (2009)
Total: 9

2015 Classic Games Release
Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice (1995)
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet (1993)
The Dig (1995)
Grim Fandango Remastered (2015)
Loom (1990)
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (2010)
Pajama Sam Vol. 1 (1996)
Pajama Sam Vol. 2 (1997)
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1993)
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (1992)
Toonstruck (1996)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (1988)
Total: 12

So it is clear that this year has already been the best year in terms of quantity of releases. I find this very encouraging. I think it is really important to preserve the history of our genre and I am glad that these releases are made available to purchase, working on modern systems and DRM-Free. Hopefully this trend will continue into next year!

We know for sure this year that we will also be getting Noctropolis. I would also guess that the original version of Day of the Tentacle and Maniac Mansion will come with the Special Edition soon enough.

I think we will see the remaining LucasArts adventures get released, eventually. It is concerning however that the last Sierra adventure to be released was Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail on February 19, 2013, over two years ago.

It never hurts to voice your support by voting on the Gog Wishlist, especially for some of the more obscure games.

RetroMG

Monkey Island 2 wasn't this year, was it? That was 2010. Did it just hit GoG this year?

EDIT: Oh, I think I see where you're going with this.

Monkey Island 2 wasn't this year, was it? That was 2010. Did it just hit GoG this year?

EDIT: Oh, I think I see where you're going with this.

Yes, I guess since some of the LucasArts game were available on Steam previously so maybe they shouldn't count. I think they were some of the only classic adventure games on Steam but not on Gog, so I didn't think the list would be too different if I instead went by release for digital download on a current platform.

BluWacky

Ladies and gentlemen, I would echo the thoughts of someone earlier in the thread - Randal's Monday is... not good. Obnoxious player character and some horrific puzzles IMO; example below:

You get an old man a drink (not sure why, it's not really explained as far as I can tell). Although he can't speak, your dialogue says that there's not enough booze in it. There's a mug full of booze in your best friend's flat just sitting in the kitchen that you refuse to pick up for reasons unknown. Instead, you have to fill the drink with RAT POISON, A RUSTY RAZOR, A ROTTEN LEMON and... something else. I just don't understand this puzzle at all; why is it happening? Did I miss something in the dialogue?

It was cheap. But it's not good.

Those of you interested in the release of classic adventure games for modern systems will hopefully find this post interesting. Sorry for the length.

Thanks for the list.

What's left that people really want to see? We've got MOST of the classics available now - the obvious omission, as you mention, is Day of the Tentacle, but that'll probably turn up with the remastered version. I'm not sure which Sierra games are still missing - the Conquests games, perhaps? I'm sure someone can enlighten me, I'm not very good at 1st person adventures so there may be some missing gems there:

I'm still hoping Discworld Noir will make an appearance some day; I still have my CD copies of the other two, but never bought that one :(

My secret holy grail of adventure games is for someone to remake (demake?) both Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 as normal pixel games. FMV and I don't get on (it's why I've never played the Tex Murphy games) and 3's engine and interface have aged SO poorly.

Thanks for the list.

What's left that people really want to see? We've got MOST of the classics available now - the obvious omission, as you mention, is Day of the Tentacle, but that'll probably turn up with the remastered version. I'm not sure which Sierra games are still missing - the Conquests games, perhaps? I'm sure someone can enlighten me, I'm not very good at 1st person adventures so there may be some missing gems there:

I'm still hoping Discworld Noir will make an appearance some day; I still have my CD copies of the other two, but never bought that one :(
I think the notable omissions (in terms of wishlist votes) are:

LucasArts / Disney: Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Escape from Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I would rate these as very likely to be released.)

EA: Blade Runner, The Neverhood

Unknown rights: Discworld, Discworld II and Discworld Noir

Ubisoft: Myst III and IV

My top 10 obscure games I would like to see released are:
1. Ripley's Believe it or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu
2. Chronomaster
3. Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller
4. Dark Side of the Moon
5. Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
6. Black Dahlia
7. The Moment of Silence
8. Overclocked: A History of Violence
9. Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
10. Rise of the Dragon

I have the first three on CD-ROM, but I never got very far in them.

Note that both of the Conquests games are available on Christy Marx's website and should work with SCUMM.

BluWacky

LucasArts / Disney: Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Escape from Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I would rate these as very likely to be released.)

Oh, yes, how silly of me, I forgot about the other Monkey Islands in particular!

I would suspect that Neverhood might make an appearance at the same sort of time as Armikrog.

Blade Runner is probably in some kind of rights hell.

At a guess, Noir will be with Atari in some form and the other two with Sony; but again, I'd guess its rights hell with the licensed property.

2. Chronomaster
4. Dark Side of the Moon
6. Black Dahlia
7. The Moment of Silence
10. Rise of the Dragon

Now THERE's a blast from the past!

Moment of Silence was pretty good; Overclocked was very short and very easy.

Otherwise I've only ever played the demo of Freddy Pharkas out of that lot, although I wanted Chronomaster REALLY BADLY when I was about 11...

SOME-MIST

holy crap guys, only 17 more days until armikrog releases.. it's my most anticipated game of the last 2 years. I'm clearing my schedule on the 18th too. anyone playing the neverhood or skullmonkeys in anticipation?

I know it will be well after the digital release, but I can't wait to finally post some pics of the physical edition once it ships.

Tizoc

holy crap guys, only 17 more days until armikrog releases.. it's my most anticipated game of the last 2 years. I'm clearing my schedule on the 18th too. anyone playing the neverhood or skullmonkeys in anticipation?

I know it will be well after the digital release, but I can't wait to finally post some pics of the physical edition once it ships.

Unless GMG offers it for a bigger discount, I'll grab it off a trader :/

Yeah, I'm really excited for it also. I plan to play The Neverhood again really soon.

Ubisoft: Myst III and IV

2. Chronomaster
4. Dark Side of the Moon
6. Black Dahlia
7. The Moment of Silence
10. Rise of the Dragon

I have the first three on CD-ROM, but I never got very far in them.

Note that both of the Conquests games are available on Christy Marx's website and should work with SCUMM.

You're like me. That list is pretty close to mine. I'm so glad I have physical copies of Black Dahlia and Hell, though. Also have Overclocked and Moment of Silence digital downloads, from Gamersgate.com I believe? Still, it'd be great to get a re-release for both.

Gorger

Hell yeah, I remember buying a screensaver collection that had the mini games from that included too.I got hooked on hock a loogie.

There was also BEavis & Butthead: Do U
32802-mtv-s-beavis-and-butt-head-do-u-windows-screenshot-music-rocks.jpg

I remember, those games they were a blast, they also remind me of the old Ace Ventura game which I played back in the days, another very obscured game I've hardly heard anyone talk about later.

345234521.jpg

pc-48298-11358785537.jpg

Another pretty obscured game which looks similar is Orion Burger. From what I remember you're some guy trying to save the world from aliens wanting to make us into human burgers

1490-8-orion-burger.jpg

06-26-2013OrionBurger_zps11ed2506.png

SOME-MIST

Who owns the license/IP on that? Wasn't that game on PSOne too? Which ver. of the game is the better one?

dreamworks but it wasn't on ps1. the ps1 game is skullmonkeys which was also published by dreamworks :eek:

actually surprised myself that it isn't on gog.com too.

Card Boy

Banned
The page is awesome. The Ace Venture and Bevis and Butthead games where the bomb. I vaguely remember a Duckman game that was great as well (at least according to child me).

SOME-MIST

The page is awesome. The Ace Venture and Bevis and Butthead games where the bomb. I vaguely remember a Duckman game that was great as well (at least according to child me).

duckman: the graphic adventures of a private dick
I actually have a german physical copy lol, the US one is one of the hardest to find though.

Dsyndrome

7102__full.jpg

Another great game, I think I actually beat this one. Jason Alexander's awesome.

inm8num2

Fran Bow page live on Steam - comes out on August 27.

Fran Bow is a creepy adventure game that tells the story of Fran, a young girl struggling with a mental disorder and an unfair destiny.
After witnessing the gruesome and mysterious loss of her parents, found dismembered at their home, Fran rushes into the woods, together with her only friend, Mr. Midnight, a black cat that Fran had previously received as a present from her parents.

In the forest, Fran goes into shock over the loss of her parents and when she recovers, she’s at Oswald Asylum, an oppressive mental institution for children, and Mr. Midnight is nowhere to be found.

After having a dream about her beloved cat, Fran decides to escape from the mental institution to find him and go back home to Aunt Grace, her only living relative.

I don't know much about this game but it looks intriguing and rather dark in terms of subject matter.

I remember, those games they were a blast, they also remind me of the old Ace Ventura game which I played back in the days, another very obscured game I've hardly heard anyone talk about later.

Cool, never seen that ace ventura one. it reminds me of a Pink Panther game I have. I think it was called passport to peril

Wow, this felt like it was made for me personally. Didn't realize a full game was in the plans until I finished it.

We need more point-and-clicks like this one. The environments in Wadjet Eye games usually look flat anyway, might as well make them side-scrolling like in Badass Inc. Then you also don't have the problem of character sprites looking horrible when their sizes change as they move around the background.

Started Shadow of the Comet & Prisoner of Ice again last night after their appearance on GOG.com.

I absolutely love Shadow of the Comet but I forgot how buggy/difficult to play it is.

You're like me. That list is pretty close to mine. I'm so glad I have physical copies of Black Dahlia and Hell, though. Also have Overclocked and Moment of Silence digital downloads, from Gamersgate.com I believe? Still, it'd be great to get a re-release for both.

Hmm, I didn't realize that Overclocked and the moment of silence are both available on Steam. They are also included in "the adventure company hits collection" with a bunch of other games already on gog.com. It looks like Nordic owns the rights so I think these also have a good chance of being released on gog.

Boem

Just finished the new King's Quest. As I said before, I was a Lucasfan growing up, didn't really feel the Sierra games, although I did play some of them so there is some nostalgia there.

It's good. Really good. Much better than I expected. Takes the few things from the Sierra games I did like (pretty big worlds that you're free to really explore, deaths, puns, multiple solutions to puzzles) and removed everything I hated (dead ends, illogical puzzles, and the writing is much, much better). I especially like how they approached the multiple solutions. The puzzle sequence where
you have to find an eye was particularly impressive. There are (as far as I could tell) 3 different paths to take, and they all seem to result in very different quests. I wanted to do the 'brains'-path (with the old people from the potion shop), but I couldn't figure out how to get the pumpkin (I didn't notice the hot spot for getting the meat in the forest, which you need to get the badger. (It makes me very happy that that sentence is so 90s adventure gaming)). I ended up taking the warrior-quest, where you go down the well. That had some extremely elaborate set pieces, and as far as I could tell you don't get them if you took one of the other 2 paths - although I've only played the game once so I can't be completely sure.

That freedom in how you want to approach problems combined with the relatively big game world really gives you a sense that it's you yourself that decides how the story plays out. It's a much more interesting approach to Telltale's choice mechanic, which is pretty much completely dialogue based and mostly just influences your relationships with other characters. With Telltale, all the choices are morality based (which, I feel, starts feeling a bit old) - in the new KQ the choices are more about how you want to solve the problem in front of you - either because you can't figure out an alternate solution, or if one solution just seems more fun to you. It's more about creating an actual sense of living your own adventure as opposed to managing groups of people.

I still like the modern Telltale games and I do think they do some interesting stuff from time to time, but King's Quest just feels a lot more fresher and truer to its adventure game roots (although Telltale is very honest about not going for that anymore these days - which is fine). KQ feels like what I hoped Telltale's games would turn into when I started playing the first Sam & Max episodes back in the day. I loved those games, and could forgive their shortcomings because they were just a new, small company, but I always hoped their games would continue to grow in the direction KQ is right now. I can't stop imagining a new Sam & Max or Monkey Island game with the scale and approach of King's Quest. It would be heavenly.

It remains to be seen how the other episodes turn out, and how much of the environments and scenario's they're going to have to repeat (and how long it will take between each episode), but this series is off to an amazing start. Even though I never played much of the original series, I'd love it if they did Space Quest after this. This type of game but in a goofy sci-fi setting sounds amazing.

Adventure gamers new and old (regardless of you're in the Lucas or Sierra camp), play this game. It feels like the beginning of something amazing.

Speculation for future episodes:

The episode select screen shows an increasingly older Graham for each episode. I'm guessing each episode will have a sequence similar to the Dragon part but from later games. Any ideas from people here about what scenes are particularly iconic that they could revisit? I know not every game features Graham, so I guess that limits the choices a bit.

At the end of the episode something seems to have happened to old Graham. They made references to his failing health and wanting a 'magical fruit' earlier in the game, and since I actually revisited some of the series recently I know that the 4th game starts with Graham getting a heart attack (or something) and his daughter going on an adventure to find the magical fruit (see the earlier reference) to cure him. Maybe something from that game? I think all the episodes will have Graham as the playable character and he was bedridden for the entire 4th game, so that makes it a bit more difficult, but it does fit his current situation.

spinz

Speculation for future episodes:

i think its a safe guess that at some point in the 5 episodes you will
play as gwendolyn trying to find something to help graham.
Will be very interesting to see. If every episode has the depth of this one it would be fantastic. And i almost think of this game as what it would be like if we ever got something that sierra and lucasarts worked together on.

Boem

I guess I should mention this here too because it'll interest a lot of you in here as well: There's a rumour going around (through Mixnmojo/ATMachine) that Disney is finishing/remaking and releasing an earlier, alternate, unreleased version of The Dig on November 30th (with Brian Moriarty, from Loom and Fate of Atlantis).

There's a lot more to it, but I made a thread about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090170

It sounds very weird, but some of the details do hint at how it's right (and ATMachine is a very well respected member of the Lucas fan community, with proven connections to Lucasarts veterans. He has collected a lot of forgotten secrets/design docs/concept art etc. over the years as well, and he's not someone who bullshits about stuff like this. There are some hints that something may be going on though (including from Moriarty himself). See the thread for more.

However, if it came from any other source I would assume it'd be nonsense. Judge for yourself.

The Nov 30th date seems very soon and very specific as well, especially for an unannounced game. Don't know what to think about that.

Fuz

Banned
Are King's Quest keyboard controls not redefinable in any way?

For fuck's sake, how is this crap still possibile in 2015...

Not what you want to hear but I would advise against using the keyboard since the game was designed with 360 degrees of movement in mind. Assuming you have a gamepad, that's the most natural way to play the game.

spinz

I guess I should mention this here too because it'll interest a lot of you in here as well: There's a rumour going around (through Mixnmojo/ATMachine) that Disney is finishing/remaking and releasing an earlier, alternate, unreleased version of The Dig on November 30th (with Brian Moriarty, from Loom and Fate of Atlantis).

iv heard talk about "the secret version of the dig" for long time now. Its pretty much urban legend at this point, so im very skeptical until we see some concrete news.
On the other hand, the concept is almost too strange to not be true in some way... i imagine there probably is an alternate version of "the dig".... but what that means exactly.....

Boem

iv heard talk about "the secret version of the dig" for long time now. Its pretty much urban legend at this point, so im very skeptical until we see some concrete news.
On the other hand, the concept is almost too strange to not be true in some way... i imagine there probably is an alternate version of "the dig".... but what that means exactly.....

Well it's not an urban legend that there were alternate versions of The Dig. The troubled history of the development of that game is well documented and confirmed by members of the various teams that worked on it throughout the years. There is even concept art of some of these other versions. This is probably the best collection of information about all of that: http://mixnmojo.com/features/sitefea...tory-The-Dig/1

Brian Moriarty himself has actually been talking about his lost version quite a bit on recent podcasts and convention talks the last couple of months.

The only real reason I bothered to make that thread was because of the source: ATMachine doesn't lie about stuff like this, unless something weird happened to him recently. He's well connected and one of the biggest sources of a lot of classic abandoned Lucasarts games/concepts/etc on the internet.

Like I said in the thread, Gamescom is going on right now, and Sony's conference (relevant because they made the deal with Disney for Double Fine to make their remakes, so they have that relationship) is having a conference tomorrow. If there's any truth in it, I expect it to be announced then and there. The 30th of November date is too specific - the only way ATM would know that is if they're close to announcing it.

Love that art style.

Considering the openly-admitted X-Files influence, I wish the main characters didn't look like Mulder and Scully. That might be taking the influence a little too close to a ripoff. Then again, if the characters have their own identity this probably won't be a problem.

edit: I was going through the Kickstarter page again and it reminded me that five playable characters have been planned from the start. Suddenly the inclusion of faux-Mulder and Scully feels more appropriate.

Top Bottom