• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Pokédex 3D announced for eShop (Free). Gotta 3D 'em all!

Wichu

Member
Jun 15, 2009
5,092
0
0
Cambridge, UK
Got Tornadus, Cubchoo and Boldore today. I now have all 10 legendaries :p
Off the top of my head, so far I have:
Victini
Snivy
Servine
Serperior
Tepig
Pignite
Emboar
Oshawott
Dewott
Samurott
Patrat
Herdier
Stoutland
Munna
Audino
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Boldore
Gigalith
Sawk
Leavanny
Seismitoad
Venipede
Whirlipede
Krookodile
Darumaka
Darmanitan (Standard Mode)
Scraggy
Scrafty
Yamask
Zoroark
Minccino
Emolga
Karrablast
Foongus
Klang
Klinklang
Eelektross
Axew
Alomomola
Jellicent (Male)
Basculin (Blue Stripe)
Cubchoo
Beartic
Cryogonal
Hydreigon
Cobalion
Virizion
Terrakion
Tornadus
Thundurus
Reshiram
Zekrom
Landorus
Kyurem
Not too shabby :)
There's still tons I want that some of you guys have...
 

M3d10n

Member
Aug 28, 2006
11,468
1
0
Jintor said:
So I just open my PokeDex randomly and it has new Pokemon. How does it do this? What am I passing that's giving me more Pokemon? I don't understand :<
It's called "the internet" (SpotPass is just a fancy name). The pokedex just downloads 3 random pokemons from Nintendo's servers every 24 hours (maybe spread around the day or all 3 together I'm not sure). They are installed into the SD card when you "accept" them inside the app.

The Pokedex doesn't use streetpass (it's not listed in the active streetpass apps list), to get pokemons from other users you need to use the trade function inside it.

Taking pictures of AR codes for pokemon you don't have will just increase the chances of those being downloaded first next time. You simply cannot see pokemons you haven't downloaded yet, since they are actual DLC and not mere "unlock codes": the extra data in the SD card for the pokedex increases by 200-300KB for each new pokemon. This means this will easily get in the hundreds of megabytes if they add all pokemons into it.
 

OMG Aero

Member
Jul 13, 2009
7,605
0
0
Volcarona, Galvantula and Joltik.
Today was a good day.
 

ColtraineGF

Member
Mar 20, 2009
8,015
0
0
Well, 200-300 KB per Poke would probably be about 200-300 MB for 'viewed' Pokémon, with the whole 1024 different codes thing.

Today, got a female Unfezant, Solosis, and Purrloin.

 

M3d10n

Member
Aug 28, 2006
11,468
1
0
Fernando Rocker said:
So, I guess Nintendo has transmitted more raw data with this app than the entire WiiConnect24...
I'm sure Nintendo is using this to live test the SpotPass feature. Since it's free lots of people have it installed, even people who aren't interested in Pokemon.

Actually, I think the system could be used to add optional background downloading for the eShop in the future. They are already downloading the entire firmware through it.
 

ShinNL

Member
May 2, 2006
5,656
308
1,605
Wait, data is actually transported? So it's not just unlock keys we get with SpotPass? That's kinda nice :eek:
 

M3d10n

Member
Aug 28, 2006
11,468
1
0
Soneet said:
Wait, data is actually transported? So it's not just unlock keys we get with SpotPass? That's kinda nice :eek:
The Pokedex itself is only around 20MBs and came with 15 or so pokemons (I don't remember the exact number). There's no way it could have all 400+ in there, given the quality of the models. I just got more 3 of them and the SD card data increased by 6 blocks (256KB per model). It's now bigger than the app itself (191 blocks versus 179).

BTW, I think this is what Nikkei actually meant when they reported that 3DS cartridges would "install into the console". It was about installing data to the SD card.
 

Boken

Banned
Feb 22, 2007
12,629
0
0
Sydney
Just looking at these 3D Pokemon just made me realise just how glorious the 3DS Pokemon game is going to be.
 

InternHertz

Member
Feb 28, 2009
2,471
0
0
Brussels, Belgium
Jackano said:
My japanese Pokédex is slow as f***. I suspect the SD Card. I have a class4 SD Card in my japanese console, and a class6 for my PAL one. I don't know about the SDCard Nintendo provided, I changed it from the beginning. So, class 6 or better if you want to change it!
I didn't change my SD card I got with my system, and my japanese pokedex is totally fine (firmware updated).
So yeah, should be your class4 card.
 

Chopper

Member
Feb 24, 2010
12,329
0
0
Chichester, UK
M3d10n said:
The Pokedex itself is only around 20MBs and came with 15 or so pokemons (I don't remember the exact number). There's no way it could have all 400+ in there, given the quality of the models. I just got more 3 of them and the SD card data increased by 6 blocks (256KB per model). It's now bigger than the app itself (191 blocks versus 179).
This is a sad realisation. Is that right? There's not enough space for all of them?! But...but...there's a big UPDATE button and everything!
 

megalowho

Member
Jan 3, 2009
6,126
0
675
Boken said:
Just looking at these 3D Pokemon just made me realise just how glorious the 3DS Pokemon game is going to be.
I was going to pick up Black or White to play on my 3DS, but now I think I might wait. I'd rather play a Pokemon game that looks and animates like this.
 
Nov 19, 2010
10,649
1
0
SATX
megalowho said:
I was going to pick up Black or White to play on my 3DS, but now I think I might wait. I'd rather play a Pokemon game that looks and animates like this.
You're going to be waiting for a LOOONG time. Black/White, honestly, are quite worth it if you've been feeling let down with the last few Pokémon games.
 

Azure Dream

Member
Oct 30, 2004
18,051
0
0
40
The modeling and animation work is really impressive. Whoever's doing it did a fantastic job, I'd have no qualms with them recycling it for another 3DS or even Wii U game.
 

Izayoi

Banned
Jul 25, 2010
18,059
0
0
megalowho said:
I was going to pick up Black or White to play on my 3DS, but now I think I might wait. I'd rather play a Pokemon game that looks and animates like this.
Black and White are the best games in the series.

They look awesome and play great.
 

M3d10n

Member
Aug 28, 2006
11,468
1
0
Chopper said:
This is a sad realisation. Is that right? There's not enough space for all of them?! But...but...there's a big UPDATE button and everything!
When complete it should be around 100-200MBs. I don't know exactly what the update button is supposed to update: the app itself or the models. Maybe this is another test Nintendo is gonna do for in-app updates (welcome to the age of patches!).
 

Truth101

Banned
Jul 15, 2009
4,727
0
0
Kulock said:
The modeling and animation work is really impressive. Whoever's doing it did a fantastic job, I'd have no qualms with them recycling it for another 3DS or even Wii U game.

The models were definitely made for an actual Pokemon game. Nintendo would not have high quality models like these made for every single Pokemon in B/W if they were just going to be used in a free app.
 

Azure Dream

Member
Oct 30, 2004
18,051
0
0
40
Truth101 said:
The models were definitely made for an actual Pokemon game. Nintendo would not have high quality models like these made for every single Pokemon in B/W if they were just going to be used in a free app.

That was my thinking, but Nintendo is Weird™, so I couldn't assume that was a certainty.
 

Izayoi

Banned
Jul 25, 2010
18,059
0
0
Kulock said:
That was my thinking, but Nintendo is Weird™, so I couldn't assume that was a certainty.
Giving all of this away for free doesn't seem like Nintendo's style. They will definitely be reused somewhere.
 

Black-Wind

Member
May 17, 2008
10,847
0
0
exavierford.weebly.com
Izayoi said:
Giving all of this away for free doesn't seem like Nintendo's style. They will definitely be reused somewhere.
Could be an experiment.

But I'm SURE this is their way of showing people how awesome 3D Pokemon can be so that when they go full 3D people don't flip.

I mean, damn. If these had more animations (hurt/ different attack animations/ status animations and so on) they would be my dream for the direction of the visual presentation part of Pokemon to go into.
 

neo2046

Member
Jun 8, 2004
4,797
0
1,585
LOL
look what people at 2ch done


946 &#21517;&#21069;&#65306;&#21517;&#28961;&#12375;&#12373;&#12435;&#12289;&#21531;&#12395;&#27770;&#12417;&#12383;&#65281;[sage] &#25237;&#31295;&#26085;&#65306;2011/06/21(&#28779;) 22:16:30.22 ID:???0
&#12505;&#12479;&#12384;&#12369;&#12393;BW&#25126;&#38360;&#30011;&#38754;&#39080;&#12398;&#30011;&#20687;&#20316;&#12387;&#12390;&#25774;&#24433;


&#12391;&#12418;&#20491;&#21029;&#12395;&#33394;&#12293;&#20316;&#12427;&#12398;&#12399;&#38754;&#20498;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;
&#12521;&#12531;&#12480;&#12512;&#12510;&#12540;&#12459;&#12540;&#35373;&#32622;&#12375;&#12390;&#25126;&#38360;&#30011;&#38754;&#39080;&#12471;&#12540;&#12488;&#20316;&#12387;&#12390;&#12415;&#12383;
&#12471;&#12515;&#12483;&#12479;&#12540;&#25276;&#12377;&#12383;&#12403;&#12395;&#12509;&#12465;&#12514;&#12531;&#12364;&#22793;&#12431;&#12427;&#12424;

direct http://www.abload.de/img/03ci0b.jpg


&#20351;&#29992;&#20363; (samples)


 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,549
0
0
NateDrake said:
If Pokemon 3DS doesn't look like that I'm going to be depressed.


Nintendo didn't have these models and animations made for a free download. They'll be used for a full retail game at some point (though, it's likely a Battle game).
 

Big One

Banned
Sep 8, 2009
10,432
1
0
I'm not sure if these models will be used for the next Pokemon game. Some of them look downright wrong in terms of colors and whatnot (like the turtle for example). Proportions tend to be wonky too sometimes.
 

Izayoi

Banned
Jul 25, 2010
18,059
0
0
AceBandage said:
Nintendo didn't have these models and animations made for a free download. They'll be used for a full retail game at some point (though, it's likely a Battle game).
Yeah. I hoping that the Ruby/Sapphire remakes and beyond use models like that, but I won't get my hopes up. It's likely that they're going to be utilized for a stadium game.
 

Zomba13

Member
Sep 27, 2009
19,653
7
705
I really hope they are used in a proper 3DS Pokémon game and not a stadium style. I think the level of 3D graphics is good enough on the 3DS that we can move away from sprites and be happy with the fidelity of the models. I mean they look great.
I would miss sprites I guess but if these were the replacements then I can live with it.
 

Poyunch

Member
Dec 29, 2009
15,193
0
690
They might as well do Pokemon Stadium style combat scenes if they're going to use models.
 

Black-Wind

Member
May 17, 2008
10,847
0
0
exavierford.weebly.com
I just got this tonight and have been cheating me up some Pokemon.

But I would like to know ... what is that "Update" button for? It does nothing.

Are they gonna add more animations or Pokemon or what?
 

Gravijah

Member
Dec 7, 2008
39,071
1
765
Florida
Black-Wind said:
I just got this tonight and have been cheating me up some Pokemon.

But I would like to know ... what is that "Update" button for? It does nothing.

Are they gonna add more animations or Pokemon or what?

One assumes more Pokemon will be added in the future.
 

Poyunch

Member
Dec 29, 2009
15,193
0
690
Dwebble, Tornadus, and something else. Except for Thundurus, I had a pretty terrible catch. :/
 

OMG Aero

Member
Jul 13, 2009
7,605
0
0
Black-Wind said:
I just got this tonight and have been cheating me up some Pokemon.

But I would like to know ... what is that "Update" button for? It does nothing.

Are they gonna add more animations or Pokemon or what?
It's probably going to be for the alternate forms they add in Grey.
 
Jun 9, 2004
58,014
5,355
1,815
usa
haiti.kreyol.com
I've been messing with this I don't know how it works but I like it so far.

How do you change the background (setting) to the grass and sky?

Where can I find the Pokemon AR card I see on here?
 

Wichu

Member
Jun 15, 2009
5,092
0
0
Cambridge, UK
Smiles and Cries said:
I've been messing with this I don't know how it works but I like it so far.

How do you change the background (setting) to the grass and sky?

Where can I find the Pokemon AR card I see on here?
Go to the options menu (gear icon at the top right of the touch screen). To get the AR card for any Pokémon, you can use the Excel spreadsheet I made, or ColtraineGF's Windows program. Keep in mind only 5th gen Pokémon are implemented at the moment, and most of them will just give you a silhouette (making it more likely you'll get it via SpotPass). Print it out on white paper, and you'll be able to use it IRL (or just put it on your PC screen and go from there).

Also, just got Cofagrigus. Neat rendering trick they used there (front face culling?).
 
Jun 9, 2004
58,014
5,355
1,815
usa
haiti.kreyol.com
Wichu said:
Go to the options menu (gear icon at the top right of the touch screen). To get the AR card for any Pokémon, you can use the Excel spreadsheet I made, or ColtraineGF's Windows program. Keep in mind only 5th gen Pokémon are implemented at the moment, and most of them will just give you a silhouette (making it more likely you'll get it via SpotPass). Print it out on white paper, and you'll be able to use it IRL (or just put it on your PC screen and go from there).

Also, just got Cofagrigus. Neat rendering trick they used there (front face culling?).

thank you what about this pokeball card being used in the pics above? any links to it?

edit: oh I see the AR Markers turn into that pokeball card... :|
 

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jan 11, 2005
31,107
1
1,635
FTH said:
Do the SpotPass updates stack? Or do you have to turn on the 3DS each day to get the Pokemon per time?
They don't stack. I figured this out last week when I didn't check it and didn't get 6 Pokemon the next day. Oh well.
 

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nov 1, 2009
27,317
0
0
I haven't received any Pokemon over SpotPass for a few days now. My WiFi is always on but I'm just not getting any download message. Is anybody else having this problem?
 

Busaiku

Member
Apr 5, 2006
46,931
1
0
Ushojax said:
I haven't received any Pokemon over SpotPass for a few days now. My WiFi is always on but I'm just not getting any download message. Is anybody else having this problem?
Are you putting your 3DS in sleep when Ocarina of Time 3D is open?
If so, you need to know that for some reason, you are not connected when the game is running.
 

Hex

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
20,123
1
0
Florida
twitter.com
Ushojax said:
I haven't received any Pokemon over SpotPass for a few days now. My WiFi is always on but I'm just not getting any download message. Is anybody else having this problem?

I did not get any yesterday for some reason, makes me cranky.
Will see how tonight goes.
 

M3d10n

Member
Aug 28, 2006
11,468
1
0
Ushojax said:
I haven't received any Pokemon over SpotPass for a few days now. My WiFi is always on but I'm just not getting any download message. Is anybody else having this problem?
I still receive them every single day. How many do you have already? Did you ever do the clock cheat to get more than 3 a day?