• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

BREEDING IS FUN! Who knew? :D

Just throwing Pokémon in the daycare with a Ditto at the moment. Does anyone want to swap a Tepig for Oshawatt or Snivy?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
What do you mean?

They make use of 3D models and camera positions more like B/W. Like some cities are done like Castelia.

I'm also excited because I don't think Game Freak would go out of their way to subtract stuff from them like they did with the originals, and therefore, I would get to enjoy Hoenn fully.

Me and RSE have a complicated history. Remains the only mainline Pokemon game I never beat.

Balb

Gravijah said:
You know, I always have Emerald sticking in my DSL... Maybe I should re-play it.

Yes, yes you should. Has the only grass starter who isn't slow and pretty boring to use in-game (even though I like bulbasaur and chikorita a lot).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just noticed that Nature Power becomes Earthquake now in Wifi Battles, which means Swords Dance Vileplume is beastin'. Drain Punch / Seed Bomb / Nature Power / Swords Dance.

But is still destroyed by any Flying type. ;_;

Woffls

Raxus said:
Black City (yo *points at self*) has all the stones on sale.
So we can't buy Stones in White? :( Items can't be traded in any direction, can they? Would like to bring some from my older games to stock up on.

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
You know, I always have Emerald sticking in my DSL... Maybe I should re-play it.
YES.

I just realised: I get super gushy and nostalgic over RSE the same way you guys get super gushy and nostalgic over GSC. Probably because I skipped Gen II and didn't go back until after Emerald...

Balb

Woffls said:
So we can't buy Stones in White? :( Items can't be traded in any direction, can they? Would like to bring some from my older games to stock up on.

Unfortunately no, which is pretty annoying.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Me and RSE have a complicated history. Remains the only mainline Pokemon game I never beat.

Crazzzzzzzzy. Gonna have to go beat them again just because you haven't

Wiseblade said:
YES.

I just realised: I get super gushy and nostalgic over RSE the same way you guys get super gushy and nostalgic over GSC. Probably because I skipped Gen II and didn't go back until after Emerald...

I've actually played every Pokemon game at release and I'm STILL super nostalgic over RSE. I'm really not sure what it is.

Ooh, Secret Bases will be back too! Awesome.
Also, imagine the atmosphere that would be brought about by 3D + awesome soundtrack + varied locales, like Fortree City, or that volcano route with ash slowly floating down. Game would look amazing, I think.

Ahem. Ontopic:

I'm at 131 caught now. I'm really cose to actually completing a regional Pokédex for once! I'll soon put up an offer for Vullaby, he's really the only one I need to trade for (that I haven't seen, and therefore can't GTS).

Red

Wiseblade said:
YES.

I've played Blue, Red, Yellow, Silver, Pearl, and now White. Completely skipped gen III and have only dipped my toes into all the games post-RBY. Am I missing out, GAF? I tried playing Leaf Green once and it moved soooo slow. Is it worth trudging through?

Raxus

Woffls said:
I believe items from previous games CANNOT be passed down. White has white forest while black has black city (hence the evolution stone vendors).
The idea is this, you can catch a few more pokemon from the forest, I can trade you a junk pokemon with an evolution stone attached. First I gotta figure out how to expand the stone collection since all I can pick up is thunderstones.

Roto13

Crunched said:
I've played Blue, Red, Yellow, Silver, Pearl, and now White. Completely skipped gen III and have only dipped my toes into all the games post-RBY. Am I missing out, GAF? I tried playing Leaf Green once and it moved soooo slow. Is it worth trudging through?
I played gen 1 and 2 and then skipped 3 and played 4. Then I bought Emerald to transfer some Hoenn Pokemon over to Pearl and I had to force myself to finish it. I just lost interest in it. I probably won't bother to play it again.

Red

Raxus said:
I believe items from previous games CANNOT be passed down. White has white forest while black has black city (hence the evolution stone vendors).
The idea is this, you can catch a few more pokemon from the forest, I can trade you a junk pokemon with an evolution stone attached. First I gotta figure out how to expand the stone collection since all I can pick up is thunderstones.
Walk around in caves with repels on, enter swirling dust, profit. I've found everstones and at least one of every evolutionary stone this way.

Roto13 said:
I played gen 1 and 2 and then skipped 3 and played 4. Then I bought Emerald to transfer some Hoenn Pokemon over to Pearl and I had to force myself to finish it. I just lost interest in it. I probably won't bother to play it again.
That's what I think would happen to me. I had no interest in third gen at all on its release, it seems to me like it's the least interesting of the series.

Balb

Crunched said:

Yes, there are a lot of reasons to play Emerald:

1. lots of cool Pokemon
2. best music in the series
3. all the legendary pokemon are great
4. PC box management that isn't slow and horrible, like subsequent games

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Bah, the post-game makes me really nervous...

I want to transfer all my old Pokemon over and go catching with my False Swipe Sceptile from Emerald, but I also want to keep my current team and level them up to beat the E4 rematch, yet I also want to do some EV training as well...

Guess I'll start with getting the Larvesta Egg, going for the Legendary Muskedeers, and doing stuff my story team can do first.

Azure J

Why is it that Pokemon remains one of the few series I experience either first or second hand with music that will always sound catchy as all fuck? Team Plasma battle theme is amazing. If B&W continues at this rate, it might dethrone G/S/C as my favorite gen musically.

It also helps that it took the best theme from Gen IV and added it to its library. <3

Now if only my Black version could get here so I could stop mooching off my brother's White. :lol

Edit: Played Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, FireRed, Platinum, HeartGold (still need Superior Silver, but I don't know if I can go back with how :Q__ B&W are) and now will be joining team Black.

(Bolded are ones that I actually owned.)

Edit 2: Oh man, sorry. Edited out spoiler. :(

Raxus

Crunched said:
Walk around in caves with repels on, enter swirling dust, profit. I've found everstones and at least one of every evolutionary stone this way.
Well I can purchase them (and thus supposedly save more time) via Black City. Sadly I dunno how the game expects me to unlock the content there.

Balb

Mr. Sam said:

Whenever I play Emerald these days it's actually pretty jarring how fast your cursor can select Pokemon in the box. They slowed it down considerably in later versions.

Articalys

Balb said:
Whenever I play Emerald these days it's actually pretty jarring how fast your cursor can select Pokemon in the box. They slowed it down considerably in later versions.
Stylus drag and drop is superior to any cursor.

Pietepiet

Izayoi said:
I mean, where else can they go?

I'd like to see them actually clean up the sprites and do proper animation. The way they animate now helps give the monsters some more personality, but it can be so, so much better..

Wiseblade

Pietepiet said:
I'd like to see them actually clean up the sprites and do proper animation. The way they animate now helps give the monsters some more personality, but it can be so, so much better..
Try to consider that GF are looking 700+ sprites (front and back!) when you add in gender differences and multiple formes. At some point, giving super detailed attack and recoil animations becomes impractical.

I mean, look at the terrible job Genius Sonority did with the models in Pokemon Battle Revolution, and that was their only job.

Poyunch

Aww man Black got the techno-ish Opelucid City. I thought that was in White. I was so looking forward to seeing it in post-game but it never came true. I didn't know the city was Opelucid and I didn't know I got the boring looking version. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Try to consider that GF are looking 700+ sprites (front and back!) when you add in gender differences and multiple formes. At some point, giving super detailed attack and recoil animations becomes impractical.

I mean, look at the terrible job Genius Sonority did with the models in Pokemon Battle Revolution, and that was their only job.

Eh I didn't mind the graphics in PBR. They were OK for a Wii game at about that time. And there were more than 500 of the models, not to mention the moves. If I had to knock PBR for anything, it probably wouldn't be the graphics.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Watch Da Birdie said:
Bah, the post-game makes me really nervous...

I want to transfer all my old Pokemon over and go catching with my False Swipe Sceptile from Emerald, but I also want to keep my current team and level them up to beat the E4 rematch, yet I also want to do some EV training as well...

Guess I'll start with getting the Larvesta Egg, going for the Legendary Muskedeers, and doing stuff my story team can do first.

Wait, you can transfer Pokemon from the GBA games? Or do you mean a Sceptile that you transfered from Emerald to an earlier DS Pokemon game.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Eh I didn't mind the graphics in PBR. They were OK for a Wii game at about that time. And there were more than 500 of the models, not to mention the moves. If I had to knock PBR for anything, it probably wouldn't be the graphics.
I don't know. I swear some of the early Pokémon are sporting models from Stadium. that's just unacceptable.

Pietepiet

Wiseblade said:

Of course, but considering the cheap techniques they used to animate Black and White, I can't imagine it being that much more work to put some more thought into some animations (giving certain things, like Timburr's log, a bit more weight when it comes down, for instance). And I should know this, I do this for a living.

[EDIT] I wasn't talking about adding attack and recoil animations, by the way. I was talking about actually putting some effort into these idle animations that we got, instead of just rotating stuff around without paying attention to even the most basic animation rules and techniques.

Articalys

Pietepiet said:
I just want to see more trainer vs. animations. Still sad they god rid of that for the gym leaders this time around.

Andrefpvs

PounchEnvy said:
Aww man Black got the techno-ish Opelucid City. I thought that was in White. I was so looking forward to seeing it in post-game but it never came true. I didn't know the city was Opelucid and I didn't know I got the boring looking version. :/

I can't really tell which Opelucid City you're dissing, but clearly White Opelucid >>>> Black Opelucid.

The music in White Opelucid is really sweet. It really fits the
"should we release our Pokémon"
theme well too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
I don't know. I swear some of the early Pokémon are sporting models from Stadium. that's just unacceptable.

I loved the Raichu model, which is really all I cared about, so I dunno if that's so or not. But it didn't bother me.

Gravijah

Andrefpvs said:
I can't really tell which Opelucid City you're dissing, but clearly White Opelucid >>>> Black Opelucid.

The music in White Opelucid is really sweet. It really fits the
"should we release our Pokémon"
theme well too.

Black Opelucid music is awesome. Especially when you sit next to the keytar guy.

Suairyu said:
Disappointment:
(Elite 4)
Music doesn't shift to victorious battle theme upon their last Pokémon.

That's actually a plus in my eyes. Hehe.

Roto13

Remember how awesome the lake spirits music is in DPP? There needs to be an album of Pokemon battle themes released.

Gravijah said:
Black Opelucid music is awesome. Especially when you sit next to the keytar guy.

That's actually a plus in my eyes. Hehe.
The very fact that there is a keytar is reason enough to pick the Black version over the White version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom