• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Red

Mr. Sam said:
Oh, OK. I'm surprised they haven't removed withdraw/deposit pokemon yet.
Withdraw/deposit is such a pain in the ass. How it's lasted this long is baffling.

Move is right there. It's right there. Why do we need anything else?!

Izayoi

Banned
Andrex said:
Me and RSE have a complicated history. Remains the only mainline Pokemon game I never beat.
Emerald is a fantastic game. You can get a copy cheap off of Amazon. I don't understand how people can just skip an entire Generation.

Gravijah said:
I've actually played every Pokemon game at release and I'm STILL super nostalgic over RSE. I'm really not sure what it is.
I'm the same way.

Been here since I got my parents to import Green version for me, and haven't missed a game since.

RSE are so good.

Crunched said:
I've played Blue, Red, Yellow, Silver, Pearl, and now White. Completely skipped gen III and have only dipped my toes into all the games post-RBY. Am I missing out, GAF? I tried playing Leaf Green once and it moved soooo slow. Is it worth trudging through?
Your problem is playing LeafGreen and not Emerald. LeafGreen is just a remake of the original Generation I games.

Pietepiet said:
I'd like to see them actually clean up the sprites and do proper animation. The way they animate now helps give the monsters some more personality, but it can be so, so much better..
At some point you have to realize that there are well over 1500 different sprites needed for the games now, and all of those have to be animated. At the 10-15 frames of animation for each you're looking at over 20000 separate frames, and that's just for the Pokemon.

Suairyu said:
Disappointment:
(Elite 4)
Music doesn't shift to victorious battle theme upon their last Pokémon.
I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. That is kind of a bummer.

Andrex said:
Eh I didn't mind the graphics in PBR. They were OK for a Wii game at about that time. And there were more than 500 of the models, not to mention the moves. If I had to knock PBR for anything, it probably wouldn't be the graphics.
PBR was just straight terrible in every way.

Pietepiet

Izayoi said:
At some point you have to realize that there are well over 1500 different sprites needed for the games now, and all of those have to be animated. At the 10-15 frames of animation for each you're looking at over 20000 separate frames, and that's just for the Pokemon.

Like I said on the previous page: What I mean is not attack, recoil, death, etc. animations. I just want them to think about what they're doing, instead of just rotating parts around. I wouldn't mind the grainy sprites (because of the sprite rotation) so much if the animation actually felt good, but some of it is just lazy and unprofessional and seems like they know shit about animation.

Watch Da Birdie

Holy fucking shit at N using Zoroark in the last battle! Totally caught me off guard.
Yeah...I'm wondering, was it the same Pokemon for everyone that N's...

Zoroark transforms into? It was Klingklang during BOTH battles on my Black and White versions. Luckily I went with a Fighting Move!

Glix

Crunched said:
Withdraw/deposit is such a pain in the ass. How it's lasted this long is baffling.

Move is right there. It's right there. Why do we need anything else?!

My buddy and I keep putting the pokemon in our party before we trade. Hard to break old stupid habits...

but yeah, people who don't use move are crazy.

Andrefpvs

Watch Da Birdie said:

Zoroark transforms into? It was Klingklang during BOTH battles on my Black and White versions. Luckily I went with a Fighting Move!

I can confirm this.

Glix

Watch Da Birdie said:

for me he was just himself! I had already beat Resharim and klingklang

Wiseblade

Pietepiet said:
Like I said on the previous page: What I mean is not attack, recoil, death, etc. animations. I just want them to think about what they're doing, instead of just rotating parts around. I wouldn't mind the grainy sprites (because of the sprite rotation) so much if the animation actually felt good, but some of it is just lazy and unprofessional and seems like they know shit about animation.
This is actually totally reasonable IMO. The sprites definitely have a "cut and paste" look to them (some moreso than others) and I'd really hope for a better effort in Gen VI. I wonder how much could be done in this generation and maintain compatability though...

Wiseblade

Watch Da Birdie said:

I don't even remember N's team past
Zekrom

I guess that what i get for finishing the game after watching a 24 hour panel show marathon...

Gravijah

Wiseblade said:
This is actually totally reasonable IMO. The sprites definitely have a "cut and paste" look to them (some moreso than others) and I'd really hope for a better effort in Gen VI. I wonder how much could be done in this generation and maintain compatability though...

I hope Gen VI is another big change battle mechanics wise. I'm really hoping for the types to get changed around to make some more useful.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
I hope Gen VI is another big change battle mechanics wise. I'm really hoping for the types to get changed around to make some more useful.

I don't know about that, but my gut feeling makes me 90% sure they'll introduce at least one new type in Gen 6. In Gens 4 and 5 they really tried hard to fill out that Pokemon type matrix and put a check mark in all possible type combinations. After 17 mainline games they even finally made a pure Flying type!

Red

Gravijah said:
Maybe next gen could do for normals and poison what this gen did for bugs, and to a certain extent, ghosts.

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
Poison needs to be SE on Water.

Rock needs to be Neutral on Fire.

Water and Dragon need to be NVE on Ice.

Grass needs to be better somehow, too. I'm just not sure what.

TheOGB

Banned
Roto13 said:
Funny, I remember it being much more awesome

Watch Da Birdie said:
Speaking of RSE and music...

*Better sounding video imo*

I wished they used a remix of the desert theme from RSE for the Resort Desert in BW. One of my favorite songs in the series, and they brought it back for DP's Underground as well as part of it plays around the middle.
Oh man, that would have been so great

CANNOT FUCKING WAIT FOR DAT REMIX

On a different matter, I really, really like that when watching Battle Videos saved on the VS. Recorder now, you can fast-forward or rewind to specific gameplay turns, as well as pause.

It can also help with battle annotations, for people that do commentary on other sites.
Andrex said:
I don't know about that, but my gut feeling makes me 90% sure they'll introduce at least one new type in Gen 6. In Gens 4 and 5 they really tried hard to fill out that Pokemon type matrix and put a check mark in all possible type combinations. After 17 mainline games they even finally made a pure Flying type!
Actually, I remember reading a while ago that Frillish and Jellicent were originally just Water types, but had their type changed to provide more 'balance' to the overall Unova dex.

I should have probably assumed they do this anyway, seeing as how they balance Pokémon by color palette already.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ColtraineGF said:
On a different matter, I really, really like that when watching Battle Videos saved on the VS. Recorder now, you can fast-forward or rewind to specific gameplay turns, as well as pause.

It can also help with battle annotations, for people that do commentary on other sites.

You can?

*lets out the biggest HELL YEAH yet*

Gravijah

Andrex said:

There are so many type combinations they still need to make though. Arghhh.

Red

Gravijah said:
Grass + Fire! Fire + Ice! Fire + Water! Tough to conceptualize these things though.

What else am I missing?

Is there a psychic/ghost, psychic/bug, psychic/dragon, or psychic/dark?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:

Such as?

Teknoman said:
Im shocked we still dont have a Fire/Dragon.

Dragon doesn't need any more typings until it's sufficiently nerfed, IMO.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm probably going to eventually be active in this thread as far as trading. Right now I'm working on getting all the starter pokemon throughout all the generations (this is my first goal, anyway) so it's going to take me a while.

Anyway, my first plan is to breed my Serperior (when I eventually get it). Just a few questions: When I breed it, the egg I will get will be a Snivy, right? I know my Snivy/Serperior has to be female and it is (I do not have a Ditto).

Also, is there a rule of thumb of pokemon that generally are compatible with each other? I want to know which pokemon to use to breed with Serperior.

If I breed a pokemon with a nickname, I can rename or let the baby keep its original name, correct?

And lastly, does the daycare make my pokemon go up in levels?

Sorry for some of what may seem common sense questions, it's just been a while since I played a Pokemon game.

Ondore

Shrinnan said:
I'm probably going to eventually be active in this thread as far as trading. Right now I'm working on getting all the starter pokemon throughout all the generations (this is my first goal, anyway) so it's going to take me a while.

Anyway, my first plan is to breed my Serperior (when I eventually get it). Just a few questions: When I breed it, the egg I will get will be a Snivy, right? I know my Snivy/Serperior has to be female and it is (I do not have a Ditto).

Also, is there a rule of thumb of pokemon that generally are compatible with each other? I want to know which pokemon to use to breed with Serperior.

If I breed a pokemon with a nickname, I can rename or let the baby keep its original name, correct?

Sorry for some of what may seem common sense questions, it's just been a while since I played a Pokemon game.

1. Yes, it will hatch as a Snivy.

2. Egg groups determine who can breed with who. Serperior is in the Ground and Plant groups, so it can breed with any Pokemon in those groups.

3. You can rename the baby Pokemon or leave it as is.

4. The daycare gives experience at a rate of 1 exp = 1 step. This can cause you to level depending on how long you leave the Pokemon in the daycare.

Poyunch

Shrinnan said:

Breeding with nicknames has no effect on the Pokemon from the egg.

There are certain egg groups that are compatible with each despite being different species. Serperior is in the Ground and Plant Egg Group so any Pokemon in those groups can breed with Serperior. Woobat and Scrafty are early Pokemon lines that can breed with Serperior as well as Petilil and Ferroseed.

Interesting thought that just occurred to me: GF made most of these changes to the main game with a secondary objective -- to further multiplayer battles, as well as to provide a wider pool of people who can battle in official tournaments.

1. Providing what's essentially the equivalent of wild Chansey in every single patch of grass.
2. Giving a free Lucky Egg as part of the main story.
3. Experience scaling
4. High-level end-game opponents, both wild and trainer
These 4 make it so that getting up to level 50, GF's 'tournament' level, is as easy as possible.

5. Making TMs infinite
This is so that it's easier to try out movesets without having to worry about teaching a TM to a certain male Pokémon, and then going through tumultuous breeding. This + Heart Scale availability mean that the only thing that really needs to be thought out are moves from previous gens + egg moves. Thereby making moveset tests easier. For battle.

6. Introducing the Global Union
Global ranked battles/free matches should make it easier for GF to balance the game in future iterations, seeing as they can collect data on actual cart matches, looking at strengths/weaknesses, who's too powerful/needs a buff because of X, restricting Y, or other uses.

Of course, this is just me rambling. For all I know, GF could not care less about the data collected online. But it could be interesting to think about.

Andrefpvs

Just beat the main story! I can't praise this game enough for breaking the tradition and actually try to have character development. I am satisfied!

Stats:

Pokédex: Seen 142, Caught 95
Time: 104:49 (??! Damn you C-Gear!)

Watch Da Birdie

Oh, I read about the Frillish/Jellicent type-change too...it seems last minute though. In Dream World, for example, they learn Damp...which protects them from Self-Destruct and Explosion...

Normal moves that don't hit Ghost-types.

I like that they changed them though, even though the girl who designed them were apparently upset. We have WAYYYYYYY too many pure-Water Pokemon. :/

Anyway, in terms of game mechanics, I agree with a mechanic change next Gen, but it might also mean another RS situation where inter-gen trading is removed. Then again, I think that if the series needs to grow, then it might have to make that sacrifice. And I think I'd be okay with it...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ColtraineGF said:
Interesting thought that just occurred to me: GF made most of these changes to the main game with a secondary objective -- to further multiplayer battles, as well as to provide a wider pool of people who can battle in official tournaments.

1. Providing what's essentially the equivalent of wild Chansey in every single patch of grass.
2. Giving a free Lucky Egg as part of the main story.
3. Experience scaling
4. High-level end-game opponents, both wild and trainer
These 4 make it so that getting up to level 50, GF's 'tournament' level, is as easy as possible.

5. Making TMs infinite
This is so that it's easier to try out movesets without having to worry about teaching a TM to a certain male Pokémon, and then going through tumultuous breeding. This + Heart Scale availability mean that the only thing that really needs to be thought out are moves from previous gens + egg moves. Thereby making moveset tests easier. For battle.

6. Introducing the Global Union
Global ranked battles/free matches should make it easier for GF to balance the game in future iterations, seeing as they can collect data on actual cart matches, looking at strengths/weaknesses, who's too powerful/needs a buff because of X, restricting Y, or other uses.

Of course, this is just me rambling. For all I know, GF could not care less about the data collected online. But it could be interesting to think about.

No you got it. Gamefreak is becoming increasingly more amicable towards the hardcore enthusiast community and it shows.

Andrefpvs said:
Just beat the main story! I can't praise this game enough for breaking the tradition and actually try to have character development. I am satisfied!

Stats:

Pokédex: Seen 142, Caught 95
Time: 104:49 (??! Damn you C-Gear!)

Yeah, damn the C-Gear. That is just really dumb it still counts as time.

Nice @ the amount of Pokemon caught, I only got like 61 before I beat the game.

Andrefpvs

Andrex said:
Yeah, damn the C-Gear. That is just really dumb it still counts as time.

Nice @ the amount of Pokemon caught, I only got like 61 before I beat the game.

Thanks! I abused the GTS tbh. Gurdurr are good currency.

Watch Da Birdie

I just wish they introduced EVs into the main game next Gen...

Like, maybe in the post-game (so as to not pressure those looking to simply have fun through the main game), open up some kind of new area that explains (in simple terms) the basics behind EVs, provide trainers who specialize in Pokemon who give certain EVs, and provide a basic counter to keep track of them in-game.

If you remove the math, EVs fit into the "story" well enough...in order to raise speed, for example, you fight speedy Pokemon. A simple explanation behind all the complicated math.

Another idea I had was to make it like other RPGs where you distribute the stats...each Pokemon would give you EVs still, but they'd be neutral, and every 4 you collected would mean you could add one point to a stat upon leveling up, in addition to the increase due to natures. That way, even casual players could distribute stats in a way they'd like, while hardcore could still focus on improving the stats in the best metagame friendly way without having to keep a tally count of how many EVs they've collected.

TheOGB

Banned
Andrefpvs said:
character development
I'm not done yet, just as a heads up, but Bianca has grown to be a very likeable character. Meanwhile Cheren just seems to have gotten really annoying. Am I the only one who thought this?

Teknoman

TheOGB said:
I'm not done yet, just as a heads up, but Bianca has grown to be a very likeable character. Meanwhile Cheren just seems to have gotten really annoying. Am I the only one who thought this?

You arent. He seems like he might be the next leader of an evil organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom