• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm about to do something crazy.

I... am going to FINISH MY POKEDEX IN PLATINUM

Then, and here's when shit gets nuts, I'M GOING TO TRANSFER ALL THAT SHIT TO BLACK. But since I made the mistake of giving away my DS Lite, I'll have to jack my friend's DS. I'm sure he won't mind.

Figured I'd ask those that have done this already how long that would take while I'm here

Gravijah said:
I always name my female character one of a few different names. I name the male one after myself when I play the game, though.
I've always named my character Clyde. Since the beginning and till the end of time.

Roto13

TheOGB said:

Then, and here's when shit gets nuts, I'M GOING TO TRANSFER ALL THAT SHIT TO BLACK. But since I made the mistake of giving away my DS Lite, I'll have to jack my friend's DS. I'm sure he won't mind.

Figured I'd ask those that have done this already how long that would take while I'm here
After a few tries, you'll be able to finish the minigame in less than a minute. So one minute times the number of Pokemon you have to transfer divided by six.

Gravijah

I think if I ever get around to finishing the Pokedex, I'm just going to transfer the first form of each Pokemon. I can level them and evolve them in BW.

zumphry

Banned
Gravijah said:
Larvesta.

I was going to go to that route last since it's the highest numbered one in Unova, but should I go through there before the E4? Seems like I should've gone there earlier as soon as I got
Surf

TheOGB said:

I took me several hours to move 500+ from Diamond to Black. Remember you have to delete eveyone's HM moves before you can transfer them.

I didn't mind though. It took weeks to move everyone from Emerald and FireRed to Diamond. Stupid 6 Pokemon per cartridge per day limit.

Only took me an hr and a half or less to transfer everyone of note from all my versions 400+ pokemon . so yeah not that bad when you think about it and once you master that minigame.

Roto13

It doesn't take that long to delete everyone's HM moves unless you were weird and taught HM moves to every Pokemon you have. You can transfer what the game will let you, and then remove the HMs from the stragglers. :p I think it took me longer to organize my boxes when I was done than it did to transfer all of my monz. (Not that it's a quick task.)

TheOGB

Banned
UltimateIke said:
I took me several hours to move 500+ from Diamond to Black. Remember you have to delete eveyone's HM moves before you can transfer them.
I didn't mind though. It took weeks to move everyone from Emerald and FireRed to Diamond. Stupid 6 Pokemon per cartridge per day limit.
ffffffuck. that was pretty much the only thing i feared

Roto13 said:
It doesn't take that long to delete everyone's HM moves unless you were weird and taught HM moves to every Pokemon you have. You can transfer what the game will let you, and then remove the HMs from the stragglers. :p I think it took me longer to organize my boxes when I was done than it did to transfer all of my monz. (Not that it's a quick task.)
D:
Not all of them, but a surprising amount

Gravijah

ZayneH said:
I was going to go to that route last since it's the highest numbered one in Unova, but should I go through there before the E4? Seems like I should've gone there earlier as soon as I got
Surf

Yeah, I would. There's a few useful things there.

Roto13 said:
I had Pokemon with Fly, Surf, Rock Climb, Strength, Defog, Whirlpool, Waterfall, and Cut all over the place. Maybe I'm weird.

TheOGB

Banned
Man... playing Platinum for the first time in months... Gen V steps all over Gen IV's new sneakers.

But at least I'm used to holding B to run again

EDIT: ...After seeing how many Pokemon I actually need to complete the dex, I have henceforth decided to abort this operation and instead choose to focus on completing Black's story. :p

Egg hatched, got a decent-ish nature. - Defense + Speed. The pokemon in question has crap defense anyway.

I'm thinking of replacing Galvantula. He's become surprisingly useless postgame. I might get a Hydregion or Haxorus.

Boogiepop

Ugh, GTS. Is there any way to make it less terrible? Can't believe they didn't think to block people from asking for impossible things... and why, WHY not allow you to search for more than the limited initial amount of offers unless you change your conditions? Also... does the GTS seriously search for species by name, because there is totally a Suicune named Reshiram in my Reshiram search. Bleh, what the heck.
Any way to make all this less terrible? Is the negotiations thing actually useful, cuz I haven't tried that yet...

OMG Aero

Obsessed said:
Egg hatched, got a decent-ish nature. - Defense + Speed. The pokemon in question has crap defense anyway.

I'm thinking of replacing Galvantula. He's become surprisingly useless postgame. I might get a Hydregion or Haxorus.
If your Galvantula has become useless then you are doing something wrong.
Bug Buzz + Thunder and Compoundeyes makes it one of the best electric types in the game. It can also learn Energy Ball to deal with ground types.

OMG Aero said:
If your Galvantula has become useless then you are doing something wrong.
Bug Buzz + Thunder and Compoundeyes makes it one of the best electric types in the game. It can also learn Energy Ball to deal with ground types.

Mine has Unnerve sadly :(

Still Bug Buzz/Discharge/Energy Ball would probably allow him to kick ass again. Too bad he can't kill anything and thus will never be able to get to the level required to learn those moves. Unless I EXP share him, but I'm currently raising my newly hatched Pokemon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Uhm, about 10-15 minutes of running back and forth. Coincidentally, the egg itself gives you a Pokemon with Magma Armor/Flame Body. :p

Larvesta.

Oh right, that was just before I caught the evolved form.

TheOGB

Banned
>Zebstrika and Tranquil in tall, dark grass
>send out Tynamo and Sawk
>Okay, Tynamo will handle Tranquill, Ryu (Sawk) can take Zebstrika
>Tynamo uses Charge Beam
>Lightningrod ability
>"What? Thought I aimed at Tranquil. Let's try again."
>"Zebstrika took the attack!"
>"...Wait, what?! GODDAMMIT ZEBSTRIKA, WHY ARE YOU SO AWESOME"
ZULGl.png

>Send out Salashaska (Dewott) and Unfezant when Tynamo and Ryu are on the brink of death
>Think it's a good idea
>Zebstrika
zoTKb.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Hey! If were to say, travel with two Pokemon that each had one of those abilities, would it quarter the hatch time?

From the link: "Magma Armor also has a similar effect. However this effect will not stack up if multiple Pokémon with Flame Body and Magma Armor are in the party."

TheOGB said:

Well I did it in SoulSilver, so the Safari Zone racked up about 100 hours for me, plus everything else.

Roto13

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I traded a female solosis to a guy in japan for a male Zorua lvl 1.

Is solosis really valuable or something?
No. Zorua are just kind of weird. Since you need an event Pokemon to get one in-game, they're almost like event pokemon themselves, except you can breed them and have as many as you want once you get one. :p Which means people who don't have one are happy to trade for it, but people who do have one can just breed them off for anything.

I got a Tornadus on the GTS for a level 30 Zoroark.

Poyunch

Woah woah. I just noticed there's no safari zone equivalent in this game. So much stuff was cut from this gen but I don't seem to care. :O

Anth0ny

I want to catch as many as possible in White, then transfer the unobtainable Pokemon from my Soul Silver... except legendaries that I don't have extras of.

I want to always have every Pokemon in my Soul Silver, and you know we're going to be able to obtain all those previous gen legendaries in Grey, or the Gen 3 remakes.

edit: WAIT, YOU CAN'T GET PIKACHU IN BLACK OR WHITE? O__________O

Boogiepop

I put a Manaphy (Japanese from a while back, I think it was from somebody's Ranger egg or something, lv. 1) on GTS asking for a Reshiram, but I'm not terribly hopeful. Any chance anyone on here would wanna trade a Tornadus or a Reshiram for it? Grr... GTS is frustrating :(

PounchEnvy said:
Woah woah. I just noticed there's no safari zone equivalent in this game. So much stuff was cut from this gen but I don't seem to care. :O
They streamlined the game quite a bit, and generally for the better.

The Safari Zone was always kind of annoying anyway. Other than RBY it just seemed shoved into newer games just because a Pokemon game has to have a Safari Zone.

I still think the option to have your Pokemon follow you would have been a much welcomed addition. That was such a cool feature of HG/SS.

I'd like to see moves be steamlined next. We don't need moves like Meditate when the same Pokemon that learn Meditate can learn Bulk-Up or Work-Up via (re-useable) TM. Those moves are straight upgrades. And moves that are exclusive for whatever reason but are terrible, like Kinesis and Sky Attack.

Roto13

Balb said:
Do you need anything from prior generations? I have just about all of those Pokemon.
Actually, right now I'm looking for a Chansey. But those are rare so if you don't want to part with one, you can have the Vullaby for free. :p

Delio

Achtius said:
If you don't mind level 50, you can go to the building left of the pokemon center in Nimbasa, have a battle and it'll temporary make your pokemon level 50 :3

Save before and and soft reset to get out.

Isnt lv 50 not that good for iv checking?

Roto13

balladofwindfishes said:
I still think the option to have your Pokemon follow you would have been a much welcomed addition. That was such a cool feature of HG/SS.
I miss that, but it would kind of conflict with Team PULASUMAAA's whole "HOW DARE YOU CRAM POKEMON INTO LITTLE BALLS" thing.

Balb

Roto13 said:
Actually, right now I'm looking for a Chansey. But those are rare so if you don't want to part with one, you can have the Vullaby for free. :p

Would a Happiny do?

Edit: If not, I'll go and catch a Chansey right now and transfer it over.

Roto13 said:
Oh wow. This had me thinking.

I could in theory have a Chansey in my current Pokemon game that I caught more than 7 years ago!
Fire Red came out the week before I started High School. Next year I graduate from College!

Woah, that's kind of interesting. There's something almost comforting about having a Pokemon that's still just as good as it was almost a decade ago, in my current game. THE SAME exact Pokemon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Transferring all 493 of my fourth gen Pokedex-completing collection over from SoulSilver as I type this. Poke Transfer is actually kind of fun, it's actually neat to me that they came up with this solution (using DS download play.)

Roto13

Balb said:
Would a Happiny do?

Edit: If not, I'll go and catch a Chansey right now and transfer it over.
Yeah, sure. My friend code is number 53 in the google doc. Do you want a level 1 Vullaby I bred this evening or the level 48 one I caught like five seconds ago? :p

Balb

Roto13 said:
Yeah, sure. My friend code is number 53 in the google doc. Do you want a level 1 Vullaby I bred this evening or the level 48 one I caught like five seconds ago? :p

The level 48 one sounds good. My FC should be one of the latest ones on the google doc.

D-Pad

Andrex said:
From the link: "Magma Armor also has a similar effect. However this effect will not stack up if multiple Pokémon with Flame Body and Magma Armor are in the party."

Poo. :mad: Damn Lavatar egg.

Gravijah said:
They need to take the Safari Zone from HGSS and make it not shitty.
I don't like the idea of taking what the player has learned was the proper way to catch Pokemon, and then go and turn it on its head by changing it all up and putting the rarest Pokemon in a place where they can run away.

When Shinies came around it just got worse because catching the Pokemon was out of your control. It's frustrating when you suddenly lose control over the catching situation, and you're forced to rely on a random number generator to determine success or fail. Pokemon is a game about knowing and controlling the playing field, and the safari zone takes that away for absolutely no reason other than "it was always in Pokemon."

The Bug Catching contest was a much smarter idea. The player is still in total control of the situation, but is given a challenge and specific rules that aren't entirely based on luck. It's just stupid you could only do it every other day :/

Did anyone notice that if you go back to the Gyms after a certain point Bianca is listed under the Certified Trainers list? I always saw Cheren when he got added, but it was only going back now that I noticed Bianca.

I didn't realize she was challenging the gyms (and winning) too.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
HGSS Safari Zone is so superior to all the others it's not even funny.

It was good except for having to place items down, having to wait, etc. Just make it a big ass area with tons of wild Pokemon. Make each area unique like HGSS, too. Maybe some snowy mountains to simulate an area for Ice Pokemon, etc etc.

balladofwindfishes said:
I don't like the idea of taking what the player has learned was the proper way to catch Pokemon, and then go and turn it on its head by changing it all up and putting the rarest Pokemon in a place where they can run away.

When Shinies came around it just got worse because catching the Pokemon was out of your control. It's frustrating when you suddenly lose control over the catching situation, and you're forced to rely on a random number generator to determine success or fail. Pokemon is a game about knowing and controlling the playing field, and the safari zone takes that away for absolutely no reason other than "it was always in Pokemon."

The Bug Catching contest was a much smarter idea. The player is still in total control of the situation, but is given a challenge and specific rules that aren't entirely based on luck. It's just stupid you could only do it every other day :/

I dunno, I like the Safari Zone. And trust me, I know how losing a shiny in the Safari Zone is. I lost a Miltank and it's still the only shiny I have encountered in the wild, other than one I got from the Pokeradar.

Roto13

Man, checking out the sprites from the original Japanese version of Pokemon Red/Green.

0x1j9.png

So awful. Some of these are so bad they're funny. Like Machamp. And the creepy little Mew fetus. What the hell is Ekans doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom