• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Classic Appreciation Thread: I want to be the very best!

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm going to start rewatching the anime today and posting impressions on each episode. I'm in for a nostalgia rush.

Omfg I had the same idea as you for Gold n Silver and selling rare pokemon using the game link clone method. Unfortunately I bought my copy while on holiday it was a 2 in 1 cartridge with both games and a poor Engrish translation from the Japanese. There was even a part where a Team Rocket guy told me to Fuck Off before battle.

So because of region issues I couldn't do it.

On the bright side I had the game maybe nearly a year before release.

LOL that's crazy. What country was that from?

Something about the washed-out look of GSC is incredibly endearing to me, and I still think it has the best sprite work in the series.

And since it pertains to the first generation games, the Pokemon Origins special is going to be nearly two hours long!

They have my favorite sprites too. I honestly love the colors picked.

xjeC70O.png

I'm highly anticipating that! When will it be released?

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm going to start rewatching the anime today and posting impressions on each episode. I'm in for a nostalgia rush.

LOL that's crazy. What country was that from?
Turkey, my ethnic origin is from there so go there every Summer (beaches and bitches lol).

There was also a time a few years after where I bought Pokemon Diamond because it was on a 13 in 1 cartridge with some other crap games. Except this was for GBC way before gen 4, hell even gen 3 wasn't out iirc. It was just some shitty Pokemon clone in disguise.
1375962679789.png

More info. Here:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/Pokémon_Diamond_and_Jade

http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/Keitai_Denjuu_Telefang_1

I actually found my pokemon mew tour showbag the other day, I should take some pics

FCY9yDal.jpg

larger size:
http://i.imgur.com/FCY9yDa.jpg

Cards are: shiney Machamp, poketour 99 pikachu, WB movie mewtwo, mewtwo

Pikachu still goes: pika a chu, pika a chu, when belly is squared after all these years (14!)

Forkball

I've been a huge Pokemon fan since the beginning. The first two gens are definitely very special for me. I got Pokemon Blue on Christmas 98 and never turned back. Here are some memories from those early days.

+Getting all 151 Pokemon legit. They were giving away Mews at the mall and I couldn't go, but my friend got one and traded it to me.

+Finding out about Missingno. I was talking to my friend on the phone and he casually mentions it. I try it out and was like WTF. Rare candies for everyone!

+I was part of some academic competition in school where we would compete against other schools. I forget it what exactly, something stupid probably. One day we went on a field trip to another school for the academic meet, I think it was at a community college. I wasn't nervous about my academic performance, I was nervous about Pokemon. This would be the first time I would be able to battle people who weren't my friends. Since we had a lot of free time, I just went around to people with Game Boys and talked about Pokemon. I fought about two or three of them and won. I was so nervous though, my Poke cred was on the line.

+Getting Pokemon Silver early due to a broken street date. I was in EB Games and asked the clerk when they were getting Pokemon. Of course I knew the date, I just wanted to know if they would get it earlier than Best Buy where I preordered it. He said they had it right then and it came in today. He sold it to me a few days before street date and I played the hell out of it.

+I was a huge fan of the card game. I was mostly a collector and barely played it, though I did love the GBC game. I had a ton of cards stuffed in a binder and would bring it to school every day to trade cards during lunch with my friends. Eventually Pokemon got banned from my school though because everyone was obsessed with it (what a bunch of squares). I have three specific Pokemon card memories relating to my family. They always told me I spent too much time on Pokemon (they were right) and hated it, but still managed to do some amazing things.

1. One day at school, I turned my back for a few minutes and a ton of my holographic cards were stolen. STOLEN. Holy. Shit. What kind of lunatic would do such a thing? I had no idea who it was, and the only suspect I had in my mind was one kid. My dad drove over to his house, went inside for about ten minutes, and came back with all my cards.

2. Another time my mom told me she put my name in a contest at a hobby shop to win a Pokemon card and I was one of the winners. I was completely surprised, I mean I never even asked her to do it. When I won, she drove me all the way there. The kid before me got a holographic Nidoking that I wanted, and I was stuck with a holographic Clefairy. I was pretty disappointed, but I still remember how generous it was of my mom.

3. My grandma called me and said they were having a Pokemon-themed hour on some TV shopping network and that she would buy me something. The thing I ended up buying was a set of holographic Japanese cards of the Johto starters. They came in a cool ass folder too.

+The rumors. I tried everything to get a Mew in my game (ironically it wouldn't be until years later that someone proved you can do it legitimately). There were also the Pikablu rumors, although I never believed them. I remember the Yoshi Dragonite thing posted in this thread, what a blast from the past.

+The anime. I would watch this all the time. I remember when Misty had the Togepi egg, I thought it would just be some Pokemon that already existed. Then... IT WAS TOGEPI. I was totally surprised. I remember being completely depressed when Ash lost to Richie.

I have tons more, but those are a few stand outs.

Shengar

I can post these two nostalgia fan arts goodness, can I?
My first GBC game. I bought so many batteries just to keep playing uninterrupted, and beause there is no one playing Pokemon around except me, Alakazam and other trade-evolved Pokemons are like sacred or uber for me (even now, despite their lacking stats). Such memories never wears off.

Toxi

Banned
It's weird to see GSC get thrown under the "classic" banner.

I got into Pokemon after finding the Red and Blue strategy guide at a friend of my family's. I had read the guide many times, enjoying how big the game looked. I later got a Gameboy with Red. My first team was something like this.

Squirtle -> Wartortle -> Blastoise
Geodude -> Graveler ->Golem (I was one of the lucky ones to have a link cable)
Ghastly -> Haunter ->Gengar
Zapdos

Back then, I had no real concept of the mechanics beyond type balance and speed. I didn't realize that Gengar was good because of its bloated special stat boosting both defenses and offenses, for example.

Thankfully, Zapdos is overpowered as shit in Red and Blue. Drill Peck and Thunderbolt murder basically every Pokemon short of Rhydon and Golem.

I got Yellow later on, and wow, even in retrospect Yellow's kinda hard compared to Red. Sure, you get all the starters, but you also have to deal with shit like a level 50 Alakazam.

Anyway...I know that classic stand-bys like the Machamp and Hitmon- families are likely to be selected for Pokkén. But I REALLY hope Primeape makes it in. He was a great pick in the first two gens, and his short-lived arc in the anime was also funny and memorable for me.
Primeape's so amazing, its sprite is exploding in Green. I'm glad Gamefreak put Mankey on Route 3 in Yellow, I love using that fast little monkey.
057.png

iNvid02

was a young kid when the pokemon phenomenon kicked off, it went from strength to strength and became unstoppable. was right in the thick of it with all the gameboy games, the trading cards and the tv show and movies.

one thing that sticks out was all those special events that japan and the US would get, they were always out of my reach and it made me so sad lol

Toxi

Banned
Old Ken Sugimori art is awesome, especially the Carddass stuff that shows the Pokemon attacking.

$%28KGrHqRHJEcFCZd6OVrsBQv+98L1qg~~60_35.JPG

mu_2eHy_JDgU3ojsaINhQQA.jpg

$%28KGrHqRHJEkFC%286JS39GBQw!d3ytEQ~~60_35.JPG

mdqYavZpIQehFZQ1ixtpsmQ.jpg

4a47da2f846f0_66521n.jpg

$%28KGrHqVHJFIFC-8UmCImBQv+mGY93Q~~60_35.JPG

one thing that sticks out was all those special events that japan and the US would get, they were always out of my reach and it made me so sad lol
It always annoyed me that I couldn't get Celebi from the shrine in Gold.

The Pokemon Community thread doesn't meet those 3 conditions a lot of the time. :p
Sure, you can talk about Ruby and Sapphire, but you have to talk about Ruby and Sapphire for the Gameboy.

-Horizon-

Loved collecting the cards though I wasn't a fan of cards whose artist wasn't Ken Sugimori, I would always think there was something off about the Pokemon if he didn't draw it.

Man I have no clue where my cards are, I think I've lost them all after moving so much

My holographic Zapdos :~;

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm enjoying everyone posting their collections.

I actually found my pokemon mew tour showbag the other day, I should take some pics

FCY9yDal.jpg

larger size:
http://i.imgur.com/FCY9yDa.jpg

Cards are: shiney Machamp, poketour 99 pikachu, WB movie mewtwo, mewtwo

Pikachu still goes: pika a chu, pika a chu, when belly is squared after all these years (14!)

Interesting. Haha I remember that Pikachu, my old friend use to have it. I should probably dig out my plushies. I have this small snorlax plush that has a golden belly and face.
I still have my rain dance deck somewhere lol

The art of Dark Blastoise is so badass.

You know it! Charizard as well. (Pokemon TCG2 for Game Boy has these cards)

tQg0q2Al.jpg

bVuSQlul.jpg

I can post these two nostalgia fan arts goodness, can I?

My first GBC game. I bought so many batteries just to keep playing uninterrupted, and beause there is no one playing Pokemon around except me, Alakazam and other trade-evolved Pokemons are like sacred or uber for me (even now, despite their lacking stats). Such memories never wears off.

fanart is completely allowed. bring on the fanart train!

QP3

Woah, nice post.

I remember the fad hitting our school. Between the card games on the playground, and the gameboys in class at snack time, we had exposure almost the entire day.

I remember I got Yellow and the LE gameboy for my b-day. I had the hardest time with Brock, so i had my friend trade me a leveled pokemon that I could demolish him with :p Good times.

qq more

Unfortunately I bought my copy while on holiday it was a 2 in 1 cartridge with both games and a poor Engrish translation from the Japanese. There was even a part where a Team Rocket guy told me to Fuck Off before battle.
LMAO

That sounds like the best translation ever. What if that was Kamiya as a Team Rocket member?

"Do you eat shit?" *battle begins*

They have my favorite sprites too. I honestly love the colors picked.

xjeC70O.png
I honestly think this is the best looking Pokemon game, despite the technical limitations. It's pretty timeless.

entremet

I loved the first two gens. Got them all but the event Pokes. Never used cheats. Owned all main games too.

Loved playing on the big screen with the Dudrio GB in PS2.

In terms of my favs from both Gens:
Umbreon
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Jolteon
Charizard

Never got into the cards.

-Horizon-

Woah, nice post.

I remember the fad hitting our school. Between the card games on the playground, and the gameboys in class at snack time, we had exposure almost the entire day.

I remember I got Yellow and the LE gameboy for my b-day. I had the hardest time with Brock, so i had my friend trade me a leveled pokemon that I could demolish him with :p Good times.

I definitely remember when Pokemon cards got big at my school.

And then the teachers banned them "Pokeman" cards from school lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Which store did everyone get their first Pokemon games?

I believe I got Blue version first at Walmart, and I may have got Red from there.
Yellow Version I think I got from Target.

Gold version I got from FuncoLand I believe.

qq more

I don't remember if I was in the store at the time, but it might've been Walmart. I got Pokemon Blue along with the Teal GBC for my 9th birthday. I still remember that day...

qq more

GBC? Sounds like you got Pokemon Blue a little late.
Yep, '99. I've kept bugging my parents to get Pokemon for a while. Reminds me how I bugged them for a SNES for years until they finally get me one around '97 lol.

(Actually, I've realized I've turned 10, not 9, that year.)

QP3

And then the teachers banned them "Pokeman" cards from school lol

Oh god. Yeah, we usually had them banned as a temporary punishment, usually lasting about a week. It is funny when the fad died down at school, I think we were all just (still) secretly playing them at our homes.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yep, '99. I've kept bugging my parents to get Pokemon for a while. Reminds me how I bugged them for a SNES for years until they finally get me one around '97 lol.

(Actually, I've realized I've turned 10, not 9, that year.)

I actually had a SNES and NES before I was born since someone else owned them. But yeah, I got Blue when I had my Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket. x2 the bloo baybee.

cU1lVYV.jpg

Alakazam is and probably always will be my favorite Pokemon. I knew from the first time Abra teleported away that that evolution line would be my favorite.

qq more

I actually had a SNES and NES before I was born since someone else owned them. But yeah, I got Blue when I had my Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket. x2 the bloo baybee.

cU1lVYV.jpg
I've always bugged my parents for any game boy just so I can get my hands on Pokemon Blue. But then the GBC happened. lol

I remember getting the N64 in '99 as well.... 2 years before the Gamecube. Mario 64 blew my mind wide open and I remember enjoying the hell out of Pokemon Stadium 1 through its mini-games. I think the first time I got a home system early in its life was the Gamecube.

terrisus

Also, how I found out about Pokémon:

I had gotten a Gameboy years ago, but, shortly before the GBC came out (November, 1998) I lost my original Gameboy. Instead of buying another Gameboy, I decided to just wait for when the GBC came out, and to get that instead (I was almost 16 and working at that point, so I bought it myself when it came out). However, a Gameboy game that I really wanted, Harvest Moon, came out in August, 1998. I was very eager to play it, so I asked a friend of mine if I could borrow his Gameboy so I could play it for a bit. He let me, but didn't want to have it gone that long, since he had been playing a game that had just came out, which I had never even heard of (despite having the internet at that point. Guess I just never really paid attention to it), called Pokémon. I tried that game out as well, and was instantly hooked. Bought my own copy of Pokémon when I got my GBC, and fell in love. Also, that friend of mine is now my Brother-in-Law as well, as he ended up marrying my sister.

terrisus

Which store did everyone get their first Pokemon games?

I believe I got Blue version first at Walmart, and I may have got Red from there.
Yellow Version I think I got from Target.

Gold version I got from FuncoLand I believe.

Electronics Boutique at my local mall.
I loved that place. Got my N64 on launch day from there too.

They're still there, but, they're a Gamestop now of course.

Anth0ny

I very clearly remember where I was when I got my gen 1 and 2 games.

I had a Nintendo 64, but no Gameboy for the longest time. I loved the anime, collected the cards, played my friends Pokemon Red/Blue, and played the hell out of Pokemon Snap. Believe it or not, my first personal exposure to the mainline Pokemon games was actually through Pokemon Stadium. I rented both Stadium and Pokemon Blue from Blockbuster over and over and over, to use with the Transfer Pak... that I owned. Don't ask.

It got to the point where I had a reputation at my school for being good at Pokemon. People knew who I was, somehow. So I'd start getting calls, people asking me where to go and how to beat parts of the game. I distinctly remember explaining to someone over the phone how to solve the rock puzzles in Victory Road. That was fun!

Finally, August 2000 rolled around and my uncle bought me a teal Gameboy Color, while my parents bought me Pokemon Red and Stadium. I vividly remember opening these gifts on the front porch of my old house. Magic.

Possibly even better was how I got my hands on gen II. Pokemon Gold and Silver were the first games I ever got hyped for pre-release. My first video game magazine was this issue of EGM:

9Pr2K8x.jpg

LOOK AT THAT SHIT. Pokemon Silver and Lugia will be the greatest thing ever made ever. I still have that magazine too, in good condition ^_^

Anywho, I walked into a Toys R Us one day in October... and the game was there. It must have been a week before the official launch, at least. They only had Gold, not Silver. I had to make a tough decision at that point, but I decided that getting the new Pokemon game early was too good an opportunity to pass up. I somehow convinced my dad to buy the game for me (I typically only got games for my birthday or Christmas, everything in between was a rental), and that was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Again, somehow I have vivid memories of this short period in my life. My house league baseball banquet was that night, and NO FUCKING SHIT I was bringing my Gameboy and the new Pokemon game that wasn't even officially out yet. Everyone on my team was crowded around me for the entire night, and word had spread across the hall that I had the new Pokemon. So kids from OTHER TEAMS came to my table to watch me play. Of course, everyone asked me to play, and being the nice guy I was, I actually gave my teammates a try. Hilariously, I was stuck in Goldenrod City because I had no fucking clue how to move this fucker out of the way:

550px-get-the-rock-smbsyik.jpg

Nobody could figure it out for the entire night. What a great showcase for the new Pokemon game :p

As the days went on pre-release, I remember getting stuck and calling the Nintendo Power hotline. I think it was Sudowoodo still. Anyways, they couldn't help me! I stumped the fucking Nintendo Power hotline. They told me they didn't know what to do because the game wasn't out yet. The best they could come up with was... check on the Internet for help. Thanks a lot! I found a shitty FAQ with a bunch of Japanese names that my 8 year old mind simply couldn't comprehend. When I told the NP rep that, he just apologized and said to call back when the game was officially out. LOL.

Another memory that stands out from that period was Toronto had a black out for an entire night in 2000. My family, neighbors and friends were scrambling because nothing like that had really happened before. At some point they started playing outside or some shit. I played Pokemon Gold while holding a flashlight between my face and shoulder, aimed at the Gameboy. Damn kids nowadays have it great with their fancy backlights. BACK IN MY DAY YOU HAD TO EARN IT. I was doing those puzzles in the Ruins of Alph. This music still reminds me of that night.

Good times, good times.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm still sad I sold all my cards. I used to have shiny Mew, Charizard, Raichu, Blastoise, Venusaur, Chansey, Mewtwo and tons more.

That $20 wasn't worth it ; ;

Didn't have the money for a GB when I was a little kid, but I do remember pirating Red in New Zealand, moving to America and going to a friend's 9(th?) birthday party when he got Pokemon Red. We played it so much. And then when Pokemon Gold/Silver came out in Japan, I downloaded that as well (Had to use a walkthrough to translate)

Good times man, good times.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I was like 18 when the craze hit. We would be at end of year parties getting messed up and I would be trading pokemon with my friends younger siblings. My friends thought it was hilarious.

Kokonoe

Banned
I very clearly remember where I was when I got my gen 1 and 2 games.

I had a Nintendo 64, but no Gameboy for the longest time. I loved the anime, collected the cards, played my friends Pokemon Red/Blue, and played the hell out of Pokemon Snap. Believe it or not, my first personal exposure to the mainline Pokemon games was actually through Pokemon Stadium. I rented both Stadium and Pokemon Blue from Blockbuster over and over and over, to use with the Transfer Pak... that I owned. Don't ask.

It got to the point where I had a reputation at my school for being good at Pokemon. People knew who I was, somehow. So I'd start getting calls, people asking me where to go and how to beat parts of the game. I distinctly remember explaining to someone over the phone how to solve the rock puzzles in Victory Road. That was fun!

Finally, August 2000 rolled around and my uncle bought me a teal Gameboy Color, while my parents bought me Pokemon Red and Stadium. I vividly remember opening these gifts on the front porch of my old house. Magic.

Possibly even better was how I got my hands on gen II. Pokemon Gold and Silver were the first games I ever got hyped for pre-release. My first video game magazine was this issue of EGM:

9Pr2K8x.jpg

LOOK AT THAT SHIT. Pokemon Silver and Lugia will be the greatest thing ever made ever. I still have that magazine too, in good condition ^_^

Anywho, I walked into a Toys R Us one day in October... and the game was there. It must have been a week before the official launch, at least. They only had Gold, not Silver. I had to make a tough decision at that point, but I decided that getting the new Pokemon game early was too good an opportunity to pass up. I somehow convinced my dad to buy the game for me (I typically only got games for my birthday or Christmas, everything in between was a rental), and that was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Again, somehow I have vivid memories of this short period in my life. My house league baseball banquet was that night, and NO FUCKING SHIT I was bringing my Gameboy and the new Pokemon game that wasn't even officially out yet. Everyone on my team was crowded around me for the entire night, and word had spread across the hall that I had the new Pokemon. So kids from OTHER TEAMS came to my table to watch me play. Of course, everyone asked me to play, and being the nice guy I was, I actually gave my teammates a try. Hilariously, I was stuck in Goldenrod City because I had no fucking clue how to move this fucker out of the way:

550px-get-the-rock-smbsyik.jpg

Nobody could figure it out for the entire night. What a great showcase for the new Pokemon game :p

As the days went on pre-release, I remember getting stuck and calling the Nintendo Power hotline. I think it was Sudowoodo still. Anyways, they couldn't help me! I stumped the fucking Nintendo Power hotline. They told me they didn't know what to do because the game wasn't out yet. The best they could come up with was... check on the Internet for help. Thanks a lot! I found a shitty FAQ with a bunch of Japanese names that my 8 year old mind simply couldn't comprehend. When I told the NP rep that, he just apologized and said to call back when the game was officially out. LOL.

Another memory that stands out from that period was Toronto had a black out for an entire night in 2000. My family, neighbors and friends were scrambling because nothing like that had really happened before. At some point they started playing outside or some shit. I played Pokemon Gold while holding a flashlight between my face and shoulder, aimed at the Gameboy. Damn kids nowadays have it great with their fancy backlights. BACK IN MY DAY YOU HAD TO EARN IT. I was doing those puzzles in the Ruins of Alph. This music still reminds me of that night.

Good times, good times.

Nice read.

Well, what's awesome about getting gold is that you end up getting like a level 70 Lugia later in the game which is awesome. Anyways, this kind of reminded me of my childhood. great memories Pokemon has given me. I haven't had such great memories for a long time with the games, but the ones I do have will last forever.

And yes LOL, I remember getting wormlights, screen magnifiers with the backlights, doing all sorts of crazy things to play at night time when I was suppose to be asleep.

Battle theme from GS is still the best Pokemon music to me.

Amen.

I'm still sad I sold all my cards. I used to have shiny Mew, Charizard, Raichu, Blastoise, Venusaur, Chansey, Mewtwo and tons more.

That $20 wasn't worth it ; ;

It's why I've never sold my cards. Actually, I kept collecting Pokemon cards until they got rid of all the cards from 1996-2006 sadly. I still bought a deck box every now and then, but losing all my decks due to the new cards sucked big time. Killed my interest.

Here are some of my favorite Pokémon possessions. :)

4vrXs4o.jpg

LcrrExP.jpg

Gotta love those old booster packs. <3
p5qR3I4.jpg

That magazine is baller. And nice dude, I use to keep booster packs as well. I still have some Japanese booster pack cases when I use to buy cards before they were out in america at a place called L Kings in Houston Texas. They eventually shut down, which was a sad day since they had the best booster pack prices. 1$ boosters, you can't beat that.

Top Bottom