• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Wiseblade

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wi..._placed_third_in_Media_Factory_Animation_poll

Well at least now it's out there that there's an audience for such a thing. Maybe when some of the major seiyuu for the Pokemon anime pass on or quit they'll do it. They have enough material for quite a while I think so there wouldn't be a situation where they have to stop or make up filler for quite a while.

If an anime was made it'd most likely be a series of OVAs. Running the show alongside the existing anime seems redundant to me and I doubt any other channel would want it as part of their morning lineup.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If an anime was made it'd most likely be a series of OVAs. Running the show alongside the existing anime seems redundant to me and I doubt any other channel would want it as part of their morning lineup.

Didn't read the rest of my post did you?

I'd take some OVAs too, it'd be free money for TPC.

Yeah I read the manga, I just don't see the point of making it into an anime when their current 22 minutes commercial anime does the job fine.

When you say "the manga," you mean...?

Wiseblade

Didn't read the rest of my post did you?

I'd take some OVAs too, it'd be free money for TPC.

When you say "the manga," you mean...?
Somehow I totally missed the second sentence.

I don't think something "minor" like the cast quitting/dying would stop the anime. The main cast is probably contractually obligated to finish a generation and the likely have enough of an episode buffer to find some replacements in case of an emergency. Or in the case of Ikue Ohtani and the other Pokémon VAs, just reuse existing voice footage and pay the wages to the family's estate. Although if enough people left I imagine they'd retire Ash and start using new Protagonists for each generation.

I don't think something "minor" like the cast quitting/dying would stop the anime. The main cast is probably contractually obligated to finish a generation and the likely have enough of an episode buffer to find some replacements in case of an emergency. Or in the case of Ikue Ohtani and the other Pokémon VAs, just reuse existing voice footage and pay the wages to the family's estate. Although if enough people left I imagine they'd retire Ash and start using new Protagonists for each generation.

yeah, I'm kind of in the same mind. The anime is almost a self perpetuating profit machine by this point (do I remember rightly reading that the movies still knock Studio Ghibli movies off the Japanese charts occasionally?), and, as long as the games remain popular, there will be no will to stop it, regardless of what goes on behind the scenes.

This isn't to say that it will be the only Pokemon anime around (though I rather suspect it will be), but it's definitely bigger than the cast and crew by this point.

survivor

Banned
yeah, I'm kind of in the same mind. The anime is almost a self perpetuating profit machine by this point (do I remember rightly reading that the movies still knock Studio Ghibli movies off the Japanese charts occasionally?), and, as long as the games remain popular, there will be no will to stop it, regardless of what goes on behind the scenes.

This isn't to say that it will be the only Pokemon anime around (though I rather suspect it will be), but it's definitely bigger than the cast and crew by this point.

Ghibli movies double the revenues of Pokemon movies from box office sales. That's not to say Pokemon movies aren't popular. They are always in the top 10 for the year end

MikeMyers

So hypothetically, if you did get to fight Ash in GSC...what would you have made this team?

I would have made this team:

Level 75 Haunter
~ Mega Drain
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Destiny Bond

Level 80 Snorlax
~ Rest
~ Body Slam
~ Earthquake
~ Sleep Talk

Level 85 Blastoise
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Earthquake
~ Zap-Cannon

Level 90 Venusaur
~ Sleep Powder
~ Synthesis
~ Razor Leaf
~ Body Slam

Level 95 Charizard
~ Swords Dance
~ Rock Slide
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast

Level 100 Pikachu w/ Light ball
~ Surf
~ Thunder
~ Rain Dance
~ Quick Attack

Intense battle right there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Somehow I totally missed the second sentence.

I don't think you realize how important seiyuu are in anime. They are the characters. It isn't like America where you can make it big by screwing people over where actors and characters are interchangeable.

Refugio

I don't think you realize how important seiyuu are in anime. They are the characters. It isn't like America where you can make it big by screwing people over where actors and characters are interchangeable.

Kids won't even notice. As long the Anime still popular it'll never stop.

Suairyu

Banned
As much as this can be a plus for really good anime projects, I actually see the seiyuu=character fetishistic adherence a drawback most of the time.

Seiyuus are a big matter of importance to the Japanese, much like the British see any actor who portrays the Doctor in DW. When Lupin the III's seiyuu had to be replaced after the original died, that was a big moment for the franchise. I guess the Japanese take "voice actor" literally, as they attach the whole mythos and ethos of a fictional character to that seiyuu's performance, which makes replacing old dogs difficult in the Japanese acting industry.

Anth0ny

An anime adaption of the Pokemon manga would be incredible. As well as the Pokemon anime does at advertising the product, I think for a franchise as HUGE as Pokemon, two shows running at the same time wouldn't be a bad thing.

As far as voice acting in Japan goes... I can't watch Dragon Ball Kai without Daisuke Gori as Mr. Satan. I shudder to think how Goku or Freeza would sound with different voice actors.

Suairyu

Banned
Seiyuus are a big matter of importance to the Japanese, much like the British see any actor who portrays the Doctor in DW.
Bit of a different comparison there, chap. We like each Doctor Who actor to do as massively a different spin on the character as possible. Actors who try to do what previous Doctors did wouldn't be accepted by us. We're all about each actor making the character their own.

PK Gaming

Holy shit

If they did start animating Pokemon Adventures, i'd watch all day, everyday. It would be a much better watch than what we have now.

iPeFB.jpg

Take my pokedollars.

Bit of a different comparison there, chap. We like each Doctor Who actor to do as massively a different spin on the character as possible. Actors who try to do what previous Doctors did wouldn't be accepted by us. We're all about each actor making the character their own.
Right.

—While I was perusing Google for more Pokemon interviews, I found a translated discussion between all the main members of the Game Freak sound team and Shinji Miyazaki, who arranges their music for the anime. Some key points in the discussion include Masuda's regret about being unable to come up with more fresh ideas for his battle themes, Go Ichinose's suspicions about being influenced by romantic composers before-birth, Hitomi Sato's "I have no friends" line, and some closing remarks. Very cool feature of the album.

Making my prediction now, the first full fledged 3DS pokemon games will be R/S remakes.

though i wish i were saying black and white 2

OMG Aero

Hey, Andrex, can you comment on the rumours that being on Team DS is dope as fuck?
As someone who didn't pick either team and can therefore act as a neutral judge, I can say that both teams were wrong.
The teams were saying that Pokemon Grey/Gray was going to be on either 3DS or DS, both teams are wrong because there is no Pokemon Grey/Gray.

Suairyu

Banned
As someone who didn't pick either team and can therefore act as a neutral judge, I can say that both teams were wrong.
The teams were saying that Pokemon Grey/Gray was going to be on either 3DS or DS, both teams are wrong because there is no Pokemon Grey/Gray.
No, it was about the next game being DS. The possibility of R/S/E remakes were also on the cards.

Politics, I guess. Can we source the notion that Team DS was about the platform itself and not a combination of DS + Grey? Then it will be settled in Suariyu's favor, but I haven't seen such of that yet.

Suairyu

Banned
Politics, I guess. Can we source the notion that Team DS was about the platform itself and not a combination of DS + Grey? Then it will be settled in Suariyu's favor, but I haven't seen such of that yet.
Though we suspected Grey, we frequently talked about R/S/E.

Besides, this is like Grey anyway.

Well, we still don't know if it's even Grey, to be fair. At this point, it's a matter of how different a third version is from a sequel, since the lines could be blurred quite easily.

Emitan

Note to everyone: There will be no spoiler talk of Black and White Version 2 in the official IRC (#PokeGAF on Rizon) until the game is released internationally.

OMG Aero

No, it was about the next game being DS. The possibility of R/S/E remakes were also on the cards.
Looking at the posts from this point onwards (Which is when the team thing started) all of the voting posts are clearly about Grey.
You yourself specifically mention Grey a few times in regards to the bet.
So in the event of Grey being on 3DS, you'll stay on for another term as PokéGAF shepherd to save us all from stupidity?
When Grey is announced for 3DS, I shall assume the throne.
This is also acceptable.

But who does it in the super-no-wai! chance it's a DS game with 3DS enhancements?
It isn't until this post that R/S remakes are even mentioned.

Both teams are losers, people who didn't pick teams are runners up and this guy is the only winner

Suairyu

Banned
Orgen is the one true winner, yes.

But by the voting phase we were just locked onto the notion of Grey, yeah.

I dun' care I'm still claiming Team DS victory.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
We're all getting hung up on technicalities here. Personally, I don't think I would have said the next games being on DS would have to be Gray since I knew GF likes to troll people and do the unexpected (I was thinking it could be Gen 6, RSE, or anything.) Like I said:

I'm gonna laugh if the name isn't even Gray or Grey, but like Brown or something.
KuGsj.gif

Remember all the fan names for the Pokemon G/S remakes and how none of them were what they actually used?

In this instance, I was talking specifically about Gray because the poster for Kyurem's new forms just leaked.

Top Bottom