• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Pokémon GO' Cuts Off Access To Pokévision And Other Creature-Finding Apps

ymgve

I think there's a lot more GPS spoofers now. So many dragonite on gyms but there's not even a dratini in the area. These dragonite are all 2k+ too. I want one lol

Here it's just that the abysmal spawn rate of Dratini meant you were more likely to catch a Dragonair or Dragonite via watching Pokevision or just hanging out near good lured stops, rather than evolving them. I catched mine and I didn't spoof (Did use maps, though)

Red

Maybe this is all part of the plan to reimplement the tracking? Like, we know it works. It worked around launch, I even managed to play with it for a day the day it launched in the UK. We know it works and works well, it encourages exploration/walking AND it actually works as a hot/cold indicator and it's easy to triangulate a Pokémon's location.

Maybe removing it completely and then trying to shut down the various trackers and maps is a way to get people to stop playing the game so the server load is lowered so they can then turn it back on fully without the game exploding again?

Though, as a business it seems you wouldn't want to purposefully turn away customers so you can offer a better product. You'd want to improve the product so everyone that wants it can take advantage of it instead of turning away the ones that want it until only the die-hard are left.
The problem is a lack of communication. What you say may be true. But we don't know.

Teknoman

Maybe this is all part of the plan to reimplement the tracking? Like, we know it works. It worked around launch, I even managed to play with it for a day the day it launched in the UK. We know it works and works well, it encourages exploration/walking AND it actually works as a hot/cold indicator and it's easy to triangulate a Pokémon's location.

Maybe removing it completely and then trying to shut down the various trackers and maps is a way to get people to stop playing the game so the server load is lowered so they can then turn it back on fully without the game exploding again?

Though, as a business it seems you wouldn't want to purposefully turn away customers so you can offer a better product. You'd want to improve the product so everyone that wants it can take advantage of it instead of turning away the ones that want it until only the die-hard are left.

I think people just want communication ala FFXIV. Being a western company, you'd think they would quicker to release a statement.

orochi91

I kind of understand why people associated the game with Nintendo now. Even though they have nothing to do with it, the way they're misunderstanding and fumbling the relationship with their audience is extremely familiar
Truth.

I'm pretty pissed off now; feels even worse for me because I actually paid for more Pokeballs once they ran out, lol

Here it's just that the abysmal spawn rate of Dratini meant you were more likely to catch a Dragonair or Dragonite via watching Pokevision or just hanging out near good lured stops, rather than evolving them. I catched mine and I didn't spoof (Did use maps, though)

Yeah, using Pokevision I've seen more Snorlax, Blastoise, and Lapras spawn than Dratini here.

Siphorus

Poke vision didn't even work half the time for me, so I'm not bummed. But I would need a non bullshit reason for it cutting off access to third party apps. Are they also stressin servers or is the API use entirely separate from them.

What the FUCK.
It's using the same API/their servers.

Wiped89

Good. It was total cheating using Pokevision to scan your area. The whole point is to pound the streets and wander around looking for stuff, not know that there's a Dratini exactly three streets away and to run straight there. What's the fun in that?

It's a shame the in-game tracking isn't working but I've been doing fine without it, I've caught tons of rare Pokemon (inc a Dratini and an Abra, hatched a Jynx from a 10k egg etc), just by walking to and from work every day with a couple of Poke-walks with friends thrown in.

Kyari

I think its safe to say most people turned to PokéVision and etc because the ingame tracker broke after the first week.

The trackers in general felt like they exposed how massively unreliable the ingame's "nearby Pokémon" list is.
Plenty of times I've spotted something on the nearby list, then checked on PokéVision only to find that the nearest "one of those" is almost 1/4km away. How are you supposed to be able to find LITERALLY ANYTHING at this point without accidentally stumbling upon it?

The nearby pokémon list might as well not exist currently, because it certainly doesn't help to locate anything.

This also hurts people living in rural/suburban areas the most. The almost total lack of reliable Pokémon spawning outside of major metropolitan areas is ridiculous.

yami4ct

its amazing how shallow the battling itself is, unless there is a real uphaul with that there was no way it would be more then a collecting app for people

Yep. There's a reason the main games have the system they have. It's really easy to learn in basics, but offers depth for those that want to look and can hook people of different skill levels for long periods of time. Pokemon Go's battle system looks tremendously un-nintendo. It's a mechanic that exists just because they feel the need to check a box, not because it's actually fun. Hopefully they are more directly involved in their other mobile offerings.

Good. It was total cheating using Pokevision to scan your area. The whole point is to pound the streets and wander around looking for stuff, not know that there's a Dratini exactly three streets away and to run straight there. What's the fun in that?

It's a shame the in-game tracking isn't working but I've been doing fine without it, I've caught tons of rare Pokemon (inc a Dratini and an Abra, hatched a Jynx from a 10k egg etc), just by walking to and from work every day with a couple of Poke-walks with friends thrown in.

Yeah tell that to my nephew with Cystic Fibrosis, who just can't pound the fucking streets unlike healthy folk.

I kind of understand why people associated the game with Nintendo now. Even though they have nothing to do with it, the way they're misunderstanding and fumbling the relationship with their audience is extremely familiar

Haha, truth.

Yeah tell that to my nephew with Cystic Fibrosis, who just can't pound the fucking streets unlike healthy folk.

Will second this. I've had 2 different feet issues over the past year and just had groin surgery. Sorry I'm not out pounding the streets.

bon

Who are you guys kidding with this doom and gloom? Even if the in-game tracker isn't fixed soon, which it probably will be, people are going to keep playing anyway.

I mean feel free to complain, but the game is not going to crash and burn forevermore because tracking didn't work for a while.

Well I believe if anyone has the authority to decide how you play the game it would be the developer. They obviously view this stuff as unfair advantage and against the spirit of how they designed the game.

Knowing the route a pokemon appears on is not the same as knowing it's spawn point and timer. I do agree that the in-game tracker is broken and needs to be fixed but replacing it with a gps app that lets you see everything in detail is not the solution. Pokevision gives too much information.

It's funny how a lot people thought that the in-game tracking and Pokévision were even remotely comparable.

zulux21

Yeah, so why is everyone behaving as if they've cut the feature entirely? It was obviously a part of the plan from the beginning to have a tracker, they have most likely removed it because it was broken and just confusing in its current state. I'd be very surprised if they don't bring back it or a similar feature soon.

it's far easier to assume that it will never come back from a company that is just cutting stuff and not communicating at all then it is to give them the benefit of the doubt that it will be back soon.

in the first case if it comes back then yay it's back you were wrong I can find things again

in the second case as the days keep going by with no communication and no tracker you just get more and more bitter.

it's far easier and enjoyable to just be bitter towards them from the start since they have done pretty much nothing to have people trust them at this point.

Zomba13

So basically rather than going out and looking for Pokémon/activly playing the game you prefer if everyone just played it passively relying on random chance? I mean, where is the fun in that? Isn't it more fun knowing that there is some cool pokémon or one you need close by and then tracking it down rather than just going about your daily business with the app constantly on attached to a massvie batter pack in the hopes you find something useful?

But...that's the point of Pokemon Go.

No, the point of Pokemon Go is to be able to explore and hunt down Pokemon, which fundamentally requires some way of identifying where to go to find them. With no tracking of any kind the game pretty much begins and ends with absent-mindedly hitting the pidgey farms on your commute.

Chaos17

Yet, this doesn't have Nintendo seal of quality which make me mad and I want Nintendo to take over!
CEO of Niantics communicate more in interviews rather directly to his own player base... >.>
(Yes, I'm a stalker when I like a game)

Edit: if any IOS user want a refunt they can ask it it seems.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4vgncl/psa_itunes_refundpokemon_go_purchases/

Hieberrr

Who are you guys kidding with this doom and gloom? Even if the in-game tracker isn't fixed soon, which it probably will be, people are going to keep playing anyway.

I mean feel free to complain, but the game is not going to crash and burn forevermore because tracking didn't work for a while.

Depends on the numbers. If you're highest spenders are leaving the game, you need to make up for it somehow. It's better to retain those players while also reducing churn by reducing bad publicity. Once the wheels are in motion and players are leaving en masse, it's hard to stop the train.

Future

I can buy the pound the streets mentality. However:

1. Without in game tracking, finding nearby Pokemon is just running around aimlessly with no clue if you are heading in the right direction. Even in a group this sucks because everyone splinters off in every direction finding jack shit. They need some proximity hot cold shit to make this fun

2. The game is not designed for low population areas. So a large part of the fan base is screwed. Out game trackers were the only way to actually commute far with purpose. Without purpose, then why bother

Without these things, it's hard to want to pound the streets. More like casually turn on Pokemon go sometime while I do something else.

spekkeh

Banned
Even using Pokevision I've never seen a wild Snorlax and I'm on 102 caught. I've caught maybe 12 Dratini, which is... not enough to get a Dragonite evolved. I caught a Dragonite thanks to Pokevision, but it was CP 36 and so even all 12 Dratini don't give me enough candy to get it anywhere. Anything rare I mostly got from eggs.
I guess you live in a rural area? Gyms in my city are populated by high level Snorlaxes and Dragonites as far as the eye can see. Anyone who's not level 25 or higher is fucked.

Firestorm

I figured this was inevitable but removing it before fixing their in-game tracker completely eliminates the ability to hunt for Pokemon. Most people I know's most memorable moments in GO are due to Pokevision. Fix your shit Niantic.

Graciaus

I never used those things and I have a lot of fun. I don't live in a city either. 72 caught and I find at least one new one a day. I like to walk around and hatch the eggs.

Tracking would be nice to have back.

oti

Banned
I had no idea these tracking tools were so essential to some. I thought it was just "neat". And I never used it. Why would I want to ruin the game for me?

The Cowboy

I figured this was inevitable but removing it before fixing their in-game tracker completely eliminates the ability to hunt for Pokemon. Most people I know's most memorable moments in GO are due to Pokevision. Fix your shit Niantic.
Mine was coming back from lunch at work after finding a Slowbro, then a work mate signals me a Snorlax was nearby (by pointing at his phone) - queue me grabbing both my phone and the work mates phone (as he was on a call) and using PV to track it (it was in the office, down near the boss :D).

It was such a fun lunch.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Really don't want to uninstall this app but I'm sensing a bit of user hostility from Niantic. I really wouldn't mind if there were proper channels of communication and feedback but there's just nothing. Would it be too much for an ETA?

I don't know, maybe I should just hope for clone apps to incubate. I really like going outside to capture silly digital creatures.

Tagg9

I had no idea these tracking tools were so essential to some. I thought it was just "neat". And I never used it. Why would I want to ruin the game for me?

The only thing it ruins is the random "Holy shit, it's a Lapras!" moments. The problem is that those only come after catching 200 Pidgeys, Hypnos, etc. in a row and almost losing the will to live.

bon

Depends on the numbers. If you're highest spenders are leaving the game, you need to make up for it somehow. It's better to retain those players while also reducing churn by reducing bad publicity. Once the wheels are in motion and players are leaving en masse, it's hard to stop the train.

I agree they should at least tweet about their progress/plans to keep players in the loop.
But any hardcore fans who quit will be back when a Johto update comes out.

I had no idea this tracking tools were so essential to some. I thought it was just "neat". And I never used it. Why would I want to ruin the game for me?

Nominally the most popular apps outright tell you where pokemon are, but a lot of apps just fill the void left by a broken official tracker. So I understand why they would be so important. It's stupid that Niantic are shutting them out before they fix the actual tracker if only because of the backlash.

That said, a lot of the people I see around town never use the third party trackers, so I'm gonna assume nothing will change in size over here. Hell, people I asked about Pokevision didn't know it existed.

The_Dama

Man I had high hopes for Pokemon Go. Almost a month in and they are removing features and making it harder to play the game. I thought by now, the game would have already received a major update to add a bunch of features.

Something tells me that people are overestimating how much impact Pokevision actually had in regards to the game's life.

But...that's the point of Pokemon Go.
No it's not. The point of Pokemon Go is to track Pokémon. When I'm out I'm not walking around randomly. I'm walking where I think a specific Pokémon will be. There is no way to do that anymore. Either within the game or from a third party supplying what the actual game won't.

Man I had high hopes for Pokemon Go. Almost a month in and they are removing features and making it harder to play the game. I thought by now, the game would have already received a major update to add a bunch of features.

Essentially the priority is to get the servers working flawlessly. In the mean time, disabling the foot tracker altogether is one way to relieve stress, and taking out third party apps also do that, considering they use the same API and servers.

Now if only they could say that themselves and we didn't have to infer.

Brinbe

No, the point of Pokemon Go is to be able to explore and hunt down Pokemon, which fundamentally requires some way of identifying where to go to find them. With no tracking of any kind the game pretty much begins and ends with absent-mindedly hitting the pidgey farms on your commute.

Exactly right. There is zero focus now. The basic premise is tracking Pokemon. But without the proper tools to do that, it's now essentially real life Pokemon grinding. Walking back and forth across the same patch of grass battling a dozen Drowzees hoping to pop something interesting. I can understand shutting down third party sites/apps, but fix your damn tracker.

True Fire

It's amazing how quickly Niantic managed to kill Pokemon Go. I'd recommend looking at the Pokemon Go subreddit; the entire community has massively turned on the game, and they were the most hardcore fans.

At least Sun and Moon should be good?

Top Bottom