• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballerusk

Norway: People in a rural area was tired of having to walk 2-3 kilometres to the nearest pokestop so they built a 3m tall pokeball in hope that Nintendo/Niantic would make it a pokestop (article in Norwegian). Unfortunately they haven't received a response from Nintendo as of yet.

Pokemon2.jpg

rc213

WTH Niantic

10cp, 700cp, 870cp
Pokeball escape + run, , berry + ultra Ball = escape + run, berry + ultra Ball = Escape + run

Has anything really changed with the new tracker?

Other than 'yo it's within a radius of this Pokestop' it's still a goose chase in so far as you still don't have any indication you're headed in the right direction etc.

And really this is a further kick in the nuts for rural players with no Pokestops.

I have this update and it's not matching up with the maps either. Just one Pokemon in the new 'Sightings' section but several rats and crap showing in the map that would previously have been on my tracker.

If that means they've tightened the radius then I guess that helps the goose chase, but on the flip side it means knowing rarer stuff down the way will be harder to come by, I can only assume if they have indeed tightened the radius that the Nearby Pokestop Pokemon are there to give you that boost in search area.

Which again for rural folk is next to pointless.

Feels like there should be something done with more rarely visited parks or rural areas.

I always fancied the idea of a "safari zone", where less busy areas suddenly become havens for rare Pokemon to promote exploration. Feels odd to go through less visited parks and forests and barely get a blip on GO.

I'm sure there will be plenty of tweaking under the hood of Pokemon Spawns as things go on though. I'm sure it's not exactly simple.

Vipu

Banned
Just went out to test this new nearby and its amazing, yeah it doesnt show EXACTLY where pokemon is and i like that, have to look around a bit. At least it updates a lot now and works like it should. Got already few pokemons I wanted in 15min of biking.

Something pop in radar, look for few min, found it, look for next, few min later found it.

im in Amsterdam right now. Headed into Amsterdam City, trying to get a Mr. Mime before I leave. any dutch persons know where i can find a spawn?

I find that the moveset makes a bigger difference than having a higher IV at the same or similar CP for me. Anyone else experience the same?

I have a 865 Parasect with Solar Beam that can kill higher CP water Pokemon and it's feelsgoodman.gif

Chaos17

Has anything really changed with the new tracker?

Other than 'yo it's within a radius of this Pokestop' it's still a goose chase in so far as you still don't have any indication you're headed in the right direction etc.

And really this is a further kick in the nuts for rural players with no Pokestops.

I have this update and it's not matching up with the maps either. Just one Pokemon in the new 'Sightings' section but several rats and crap showing in the map that would previously have been on my tracker.

If that means they've tightened the radius then I guess that helps the goose chase, but on the flip side it means knowing rarer stuff down the way will be harder to come by, I can only assume if they have indeed tightened the radius that the Nearby Pokestop Pokemon are there to give you that boost in search area.

Which again for rural folk is next to pointless.

At least now, The order finally lines up

unrealist

There are lots of people in my community boasting of using bots and cheats ... showing off their Rank 20 (overnight) trainer and collection of Pokemon at the comfort of their house.. even my colleague in the WhatsApp group is showing off and smirking at those walking kilometres for a Pokestop.

On the other hand, I am amazed by people gathering at Pokestops.. something that never really happened before. Just thinking hackers will eventually ruin all these, even way before the fatigue of the game sets in.

So is the 'sightings' part any different than before? Other than the order being fixed there's no way to actually track anything, no footprints or anything.

zulux21

So is the 'sightings' part any different than before? Other than the order being fixed there's no way to actually track anything, no footprints or anything.

the order is fixed, and things actually get removed from the list now. beyond that still not very useful.

Chaos17

There are lots of people in my community boasting of using bots and cheats ... showing off their Rank 20 (overnight) trainer and collection of Pokemon at the comfort of their house.. even my colleague in the WhatsApp group is showing off and smirking at those walking kilometres for a Pokestop.

On the other hand, I am amazed by people gathering at Pokestops.. something that never really happened before. Just thinking hackers will eventually ruin all these, even way before the fatigue of the game sets in.

You should report them, they will never know *smirk*
https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=319948

EL CUCO

I really hate that I have to restart the app after about 5 minutes of not opening it. I always get the infinite loading thing. I must restart this app about 30-40 times throughout the day.

Geneijin

Initial impressions probably already covered by Toki767 (thanks for posting since I would have never known otherwise and gotten it myself), but I do like the fact you're practically guaranteed to find Pokemon now near PokeStops. Still disappointing wild Pokemon are a needle in a haystack with the current lack of any tracking, but I'm optimistic footsteps will return, and that version of Pokemon Go will truly be the best version especially with the much needed metagame change.

Sorry to you rural players however. I would think by now Niantic would adjust spawning areas, so that you're more likely to find more Pokemon compared to the city, but alas...

mugwhump

Sorry to you rural players however. I would think by now Niantic would adjust spawning areas, so that you're more likely to find more Pokemon compared to the city, but alas...

I can understand why they don't. Every single pokemon exists on their servers, and adding more of them does have a real cost. It makes sense that they'd concentrate more pokemon in places with more people. One thing they could do would be to make regions that spawn less pokemon spawn slightly rarer/stronger/more diverse pokemon.

Wait, is this what actually appears on the map or is this a user illustration below? (The pink round graphic with the feet):

Also- Im not seeing any 'Nearby' pokemon even though I'm in the middle of a few Pokestops. Just Sightings?

It isnt rolled out worldwide but it looks like it is in San Francisco.

Chaos17

Wait, is this what actually appears on the map or is this a user illustration below? (The pink round graphic with the feet):

Also- Im not seeing any 'Nearby' pokemon even though I'm in the middle of a few Pokestops. Just Sightings?

This only for nearby, from I've read.
So only when you're near Pokespots you will be able to have a live tracker.
While Sighsighting you will have to hunt yourself the pokemons but the tracker will update every 10 sec in a radius of 200m (this is what we've at the moment).

ViciousDS

Banned
This only for nearby, from I've read.
So only when you're near Pokespots you will be able to have a live tracker.
While Sighsighting you will have to hunt yourself the pokemons but the tracker will update every 10 sec in a radius of 200m (this is what we've at the moment).

sounds like cities get a bigger buff then what they already had......and rural gets fucked.....even more. Awesome

Yet, it's better than a broken tracker that we had.
So it's still an improuvement overall.

Though worse than the launch tracker.

Well, it's mixed. At least this properly purges despawned/out-of-range Pokémon, but I think the otherwise-functional 3-step tracking was a bigger deal.

Granted, this is all still in testing. It's quite possible they bring back "hot/cold" tracking for the "Sighted" list as well.

Vipu

Banned
Though worse than the launch tracker.

Well, it's mixed. At least this properly purges despawned/out-of-range Pokémon, but I think the otherwise-functional 3-step tracking was a bigger deal.

Granted, this is all still in testing. It's quite possible they bring back "hot/cold" tracking for the "Sighted" list as well.

I think this is better than 1-3 steps, this seems to have smaller range to scan for pokemons so when you see something its not really far, easy to find.
With old you could see bigger area and you had to walk much more to find in what direction it was etc.

I think this is better than 1-3 steps, this seems to have smaller range to scan for pokemons so when you see something its not really far, easy to find.
With old you could see bigger area and you had to walk much more to find in what direction it was etc.

... how is this better than being able to know if you're getting closer? It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was pretty significant functionality. Plus, the current radius is still quite huge, so having no indication you're going the right way means it being smaller isn't that much of a significant benefit. You're still talking about over 1 million square feet.

Vipu

Banned
... how is this better than being able to know if you're getting closer? It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was pretty significant functionality. Plus, the current radius is still quite huge, so having no indication you're going the right way means it being smaller isn't that much of a significant benefit. You're still talking about over 1 million square feet.

You can check if your wanted pokemon is getting closer etc.
Its good difficulty imo now, you see if you are getting closer or not but not exact spot so you have to look for it a bit.

If there was some "better" aka easier way to find them then it would be just boring and too easy, but guess thats what most people want, to have super easy game.

Chaos17

Its good difficulty imo now, you see if you are getting closer or not but not exact spot so you have to look for it a bit.

If there was some "better" aka easier way to find them then it would be just boring and too easy, but guess thats what most people want, to have super easy game.

Yet some people think this new version is easy so they complain too, lol

No you can't? The sighting list doesn't give any indication if you're getting closer, nor is there any way to check that.

And aimlessly wandering around 30+ acres without any direction isn't more challenging, it's pure tedium.

I find that the moveset makes a bigger difference than having a higher IV at the same or similar CP for me. Anyone else experience the same?

I have a 865 Parasect with Solar Beam that can kill higher CP water Pokemon and it's feelsgoodman.gif

It's not just your impression, the moveset is like ten times more important than IVs.

Chaos17

I like japanese tweet, they like to post funny emotes.

https://twitter.com/KokaYuTongIdoya/status/762965864480067585

No you can't? The sighting list doesn't give any indication if you're getting closer, nor is there any way to check that.

And aimlessly wandering around 30+ acres without any direction isn't more challenging, it's pure tedium.

The list now update every 10 sec while scanning around for 200m so yes you can see if you get closer or not.

015.png

Firemind

Except you didn't know if you were getting closer or not. If a pokemon was east of you and you went north, you still wouldn't know if it was east or west or south of your original position. It was a crapshoot for three step pokemon.

The list now update every 10 sec while scanning around for 200m so yes you can see if you get closer or not.

How does that mean you can tell if you're closer or further? The list doesn't re-rank order based off of closeness or anything. All that's talking about is adding and removing Pokémon from the list, which means you only know if you've entered or left the maximum-scan-range radius. You can't see if you're getting closer to anything that's already within that radius.

Except you didn't know if you were getting closer or not. If a pokemon was east of you and you went north, you still wouldn't know if it was east or west or south of your original position. It was a crapshoot for three step pokemon.

True, and as I said it wasn't a perfect system. But it's also a crapshoot here, only before if you actually were starting to get close you'd know it.

Yes you can.

How?

Joni

As far as I see for the moment, the Pokémon the most on the left isn't the closest Pokémon. It seems like I encountered the one on the right the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom