• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Firemind

so what you are saying is construction workers are not people :p.

also... so what if spoofers are the only ones that can benefit from a location. it's not like them messing with some place you can't get to really effects you.

Beyond that aside from at the launch of the update the spoofing really shouldn't be a big deal. the game is still popular but there isn't any long term benefit to continually spoofing, they get bored and stop so it shouldn't be a huge deal, or just report them.
you underestimate how many people there are with no lives

and i'm level 37

GulAtiCa

The construction zone is gated off and actually highly dangerous to trespass on so the only people that will be able to reap the rewards of it will be spoofers.

Oh! I thought you might have been upset if it turned into a gym by losing a pokestop. But I see what your saying now. But yeah, if it's off limits, it shouldn't really matter too much anyways.

RyanW

Just got back in after seeing what this update is going to bring. Really hoping we'll see something where we can submit locations for more stops and gyms. I would love it if my university had a few more here and there instead of the small little spot they're all in.

So the person who takes down a gym on their own and puts their pokemon in is likely going to be the first booted from the gym, or at least attacked...

And the person who walks by that newly taken down gym, sees friendly pokemon in it, and just puts their pokemon in without doing anything is likely to be the last booted from the gym, or at least attacked.

What am I missing here?

border

So the person who takes down a gym on their own and puts their pokemon in is likely going to be the first booted from the gym, or at least attacked...

And the person who walks by that newly taken down gym, sees friendly pokemon in it, and just puts their pokemon in without doing anything is likely to be the last booted from the gym, or at least attacked.

What am I missing here?

I complained about this, but have had time to think on it. While it's not the best decision and it only encourages shaving, it probably doesn't matter that much given that most people looking to take down a gym are going to do it all at once. It won't really matter who is last or first in the lineup. Full takedowns are going to be more common now that it is 6v6 rather than 6v10.

You also have to remember that you kind of want to get kicked off of gyms frequently, since that's when you get coins. I'm withholding judgement until we figure out the best way to maximize income and how easy it is to maintain gym membership with berries.

you underestimate how many people there are with no lives

and i'm level 37

I'm lvl 38 :)

And lotsa ppl with full time jobs (like myself) and fans seem to be able to get to low 30's so it's not too tough. That evening said starting from absolute scratch to 30 as a casual player would likely take months unless u egged at every event

And I can finally give my 100% IV pokes the moves they deserve! My 100% Seaking will be e UNSTOPPABLE!!1

Growlie19

Looks like two stops turned into gyms, both in a really stop-crowded park. No new stops were added as far as I can tell. Plenty of new spawn points, though. I ran into a cluster of about 10 at once, all commons.

Man I'm really said the neither of the stops in the small park near me became gyms :( That would have been so good for the game in this area. Man... That's unfortunate :/

Well at least after 200 candies I finally got a Cyndaquil with good IVs! And a high level one too!

7wfSS8G.png

Started playing again yesterday when I belatedly heard about the event. Some areas around me now have 3 gyms in a two block radius.

Managed to complete my gen 1 and 2 fire starter evolves at least. :)

border

My main concern about the update is that we will have to pay real money to do more than 1 raid per day. At some point that means people willing to pump money into the game will be at a pretty big competitive advantage, since doing raids nets you all kinds of helpful items.

It's hard to call it Pay 2 Win though, since there's no PVP and your daily rewards can't really exceed 100 gold coins.

Damn, a ton of new gyms in my city.

Some replacing Pokestops, but a bunch brand new where nothing was previously.

Oh wow you're right, I decided to look in app & there's a bunch of new gyms within my immediate vicinity. (all of em replacing pokestops though)

Can't wait for them to go active.

I'm so jealous of everyone. How the hell did none of the stops in my area turn into gyms

Maybe you just need to wait. Mine just changed way after other people reported about it. Even people in my city said that in their area a lot of new ones showed up and in my area it was hours later until it happened.

Maybe you just need to wait. Mine just changed way after other people reported about it. Even people in my city said that in their area a lot of new ones showed up and in my area it was hours later until it happened.

Before yours changed, were there Pokemon still in the gyms around your area?

No new gyms next to my work.

Still, I'm sure the city centre will be party central.

I have a city center about a 5 minute walk from work with 2 gyms and 7 pokestops. Weekdays will be fun once this update hits!

Sadly, only one pokestop is 10 minute walking distance from my house. I wish there were more closer.

Banzai

Question from someone who hasn't played since before gen2 was introduced: Did updates improve performance of the game at all? The game used to run very badly on my Moto G 2nd.

zulux21

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/876922371466117120

All players will be able to get the rewards that are unlocked at the Pokemon Go Fest. Kind of a nebulous promise that may not be completely fulfilled, but here's hoping that we can all get a Heracross.

I have a feeling that Heracross isn't going to be one of the rewards.
that was a special spawn at the event just like the 2k eggs there that we won't get.

this will likely be global goals to get like 25 pokeballs and stuff like that which we can get.

robochimp

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/876922371466117120

All players will be able to get the rewards that are unlocked at the Pokemon Go Fest. Kind of a nebulous promise that may not be completely fulfilled, but here's hoping that we can all get a Heracross.

I don't think they're referring to everything at the event being available. There is a separate section on the fest page about challenges and rewards that people at the park and around the globe can complete.

Heracross(more regionals?) and the special 2k eggs(my guess is a shiny) are listed seperately.

Before yours changed, were there Pokemon still in the gyms around your area?

Hm good question. Yesterday all my 4 Pokemon were still away but all gyms were gone but no new ones. Tonight I checked and only 2 of my Pokemon were away (lol) but I'm not sure if new gyms were around. This morning all my Pokemon returned and new gyms were in my area.

gutshot

Changes to the GAME_MASTER file have been pushed up this morning, according to Pokemon GO Hub. Most interesting is the changes to attack modifiers:

• Super Effective increased from 1.25x to 1.4x (Double Super Effective moves now deal 1.96x more damage)
  • Not Very Effective changed from .8x to .714x (Double Not Very Effective moves now deal only .51x damage)
  • STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) reduced from 1.25 to 1.2

What does this mean for the new meta?

Put simply, we’re about to enter a new era of Gym combat and Strategy. For example, Pokémon movesets are now the most important factor when building your team. You want good move type coverage in order to counter Defenders.

STAB is no longer that important, as it’s bonus was only reduced by .5x. Countering defenders’ type is now the king of every Gym strategy, similar to how it is in core Pokémon games.

Although SE and 2xSE moves are king, STAB has it’s place also now, like a cherry on top of a good moveset:

STAB + Super Effective: 1.68
Double Super Effective: 1.96
STAB + Double Super Effective: 2.352

Additionally, a number of high Tier Defenders such as Dragonite, Rhydon and Gyarados will drop a number of spots on ranking charts, due to their double weaknesses.

This is gonna be fun.

robochimp

Changes to the GAME_MASTER file have been pushed up this morning, according to Pokemon GO Hub. Most interesting is the changes to attack modifiers:

• Super Effective increased from 1.25x to 1.4x (Double Super Effective moves now deal 1.96x more damage)
  • Not Very Effective changed from .8x to .714x (Double Not Very Effective moves now deal only .51x damage)

This is gonna be fun.

So our Solar Beam Typhlosions are going to get some use now?

Dynasty

This is gonna be fun.

Anything about no effect moves? Like normal type att against ghosts type pokemon or ground type att against flying type pokemon?

GulAtiCa

All of my Pokemon finally returned to me. Was funny when last night 4 returned and 2 were still left.

Also, noticed at least 4 new gyms. The Sprint Pokestop where I go Dratini hunting is now a gym and my running trail has had a new gym added. Nice.

elguero

This is gonna be fun.
Awesome news here, I've been begging for this for so long.

Now that I've had a day to digest all this, there's one glaring problem that I can't wrap my head around and that's the coin payout structure.

What we know: defenders accumulate coins based on how long they are in a gym and you receive these coins when they are kicked out. The max is still 100 coins per day.

So there's 2 issues there. Inevitably, you'll have a situation where you'll get multiple defenders returned in a day. Their total coin value may be 150, but you're only going to get 100, wasting that other 50.

My second and larger issue is that ultimately, you want your defender to be kicked off, because that's how you cash out. Isn't that counter productive to the whole idea of defending? The goal should be to keep them there as long as possible, not "long enough" and then pray they're kicked out. This setup is going to encourage multi-accounting even more than before.

gutshot

I agree that the system does seem less than ideal. But I think what Niantic is trying to encourage is gym turnover. At some point, you want your Pokemon to return to you. This lets another player get a gym slot and/or another team to take over the gym.

This system definitely does promote shaving even more though since you are now rewarded for kicking your own Pokemon out of a gym and then shaving again to put it back in. Hopefully Niantic has a solution to this problem.

elguero

Now that I've had a day to digest all this, there's one glaring problem that I can't wrap my head around and that's the coin payout structure.

What we know: defenders accumulate coins based on how long they are in a gym and you receive these coins when they are kicked out. The max is still 100 coins per day.

So there's 2 issues there. Inevitably, you'll have a situation where you'll get multiple defenders returned in a day. Their total coin value may be 150, but you're only going to get 100, wasting that other 50.

My second and larger issue is that ultimately, you want your defender to be kicked off, because that's how you cash out. Isn't that counter productive to the whole idea of defending? The goal should be to keep them there as long as possible, not "long enough" and then pray they're kicked out. This setup is going to encourage multi-accounting even more than before.
I'm not going to put any of my premier defenders in low-activity gyms. Don't want to run the risk of having a Blissey stuck in a remote gym for months without any payout.

Top Bottom