• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

GulAtiCa

The old system was even worse for gyms. Gyms would stay the same for months. Never ever changing and always full. Presteiging was always a dumb idea.

Taking down a gym is VERY easy now. You have to prob battle all pokemon 4 to 5 times (if all full motivation). But, unlike the old system, the last 2 battles really only last seconds since cp is so low.

Getting 1 coin per hour is pretty fair. I think it would be better if you got 1 instantly by placing a Pokemon in a gym though. That would improve things by a lot.

gutshot

There's no way to see what gym your Pokemon are in, is there? I don't remember where I put them in case I want to berry them up.

You have to go through the Gym Badge screen. It would be nice if you could click on the Gym icon from the Pokemon profile too. Hopefully they add that at some point.

I really like the new gym setup, it seems to have a pretty good balance of holding a gym while also allowing for turnover so gyms don't sit the same forever, at least in my city it seems like it'll be that way since there is essentially a 50/50 balance of yellow/blue people. I think the payout definitely needs tweaking, you should maybe get at least some coins for defeating a gym and putting your pokemon in there the first time every day since the new system seems pretty inconsistent/punishing in terms of getting consistent coins. Maybe I just have to figure out how to balance it to keep the coins coming in, but it seems wildly variable just based on my experiences since launch.

There's no way to see what gym your Pokemon are in, is there? I don't remember where I put them in case I want to berry them up.

Go to your gym badges and sort by "defended" then you can scroll through them and it'll tell you what pokemon is in each gym you have and how much health they have. It's pretty useful for keeping an eye on your pokemon's health and knowing where an attack is likely happening.

Except now it's a ton of work to take a gym while worrying about drive by boosting wasting 20 minutes of your time, just to toss in your pokemon and have them knocked out before you even get one coin. You seriously don't see the problem with this? Why put in all the work to take a gym if there is serious potential for no payoff? Why would rural players even bother when their gyms may stay for weeks for a measly 100 coins? Aside from your hard core players, this gym update is a serious downer.

I may be misunderstanding this but isn't it 1 coin per hour and a limit of 100 so that's 100 coins in 5 days. Which is double what the old system was?

What happens when the timer runs out on motivation naturally? I assume they just return back?

Qwark

From the sounds of it / from what I've seen. Their motivation / CP goes down much quicker over time/battles. So Pokemon who had cp > 3000 will go down VERY quick compared to lower CP Pokemon. As it honestly should.

You also get candy for feeding berries sometimes. I think once people start to figure that out, they'll go out of their way to feed Dragonites and Tyranitars for a chance at that rare (not the rare candy) candy, and that will keep motivation up for high CP mons.

What happens when the timer runs out on motivation naturally? I assume they just return back?

I think once it runs out naturally, somebody still has to beat them. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they return to you unless they're defeated.

Firemind

Except now it's a ton of work to take a gym while worrying about drive by boosting wasting 20 minutes of your time, just to toss in your pokemon and have them knocked out before you even get one coin. You seriously don't see the problem with this? Why put in all the work to take a gym if there is serious potential for no payoff? Why would rural players even bother when their gyms may stay for weeks for a measly 100 coins? Aside from your hard core players, this gym update is a serious downer.
They get stardust and candy from feeding their pokemon and they get to keep the gym. It's not like they get nothing. And now they don't have to get worried about being shaved by spoofers. If spoofing multi accounts take the gym down, the legitimate players also get coins, whereas shaving meant getting kicked out with no reward.

The old system was even worse for gyms. Gyms would stay the same for months. Never ever changing and always full. Presteiging was always a dumb idea.
Shaving was a real problem. They had to rework the system to make high cp pokemon less viable. I saw pictures in big cities where the bottom pokemon in lvl. 10 gyms were 100% iv max lvl. 40 dragonites using the power up bug. That's ridiculous.

holy fuck someone tell me you still get your coins if your pokémon motivation goes all the way down and gets sent back to you

Had my mon in a gym for 12+ hour but it got sent back to me

Firemind

holy fuck someone tell me you still get your coins if your pokémon motivation goes all the way down and gets sent back to you

Coin rewards have a delay now. I reckon Niantic will sort it out soon. I got 64 coins from playing last night and I still have three Pokemon in gyms. And I live in the suburbs. Not too shabby.

GulAtiCa

Just had a notification on my screen that my Arcanine has returned after 2 hours with a +2 coin sign. Neat

It has to get knocked out. Can have 0 motivation and stay in gym, but needs to be knocked out. You will get coins. Might take a few minutes to show up sometimes.

Cess007

Am I the only one getting tons of freezes now? Maybe still due the servers? I got constant freezes in several menus.

Also, I love that my work's gym will never give coins again. Everyone is kick out monsters too quick to anyone able to get coins lol

You can. Go to your gym medals, then click each one with a Pokémon in it. Not exactly ideal, but better than before.

They need to let you click the gym icon on your Pokémon's info page and be taken to the gym. And let you see the gym's location on the map from that gym's info page, rather than scouring the map. And, in map view, show which gyms have Pokémon without clicking them. They finally have all of the information available, just not quickly and easily accessible.

Coin rewards have a delay now. I reckon Niantic will sort it out soon. I got 64 coins from playing last night and I still have three Pokemon in gyms. And I live in the suburbs. Not too shabby.

Just had a notification on my screen that my Arcanine has returned after 2 hours with a +2 coin sign. Neat

It has to get knocked out. Can have 0 motivation and stay in gym, but needs to be knocked out. You will get coins. Might take a few minutes to show up sometimes.

Whew yeah i got my coins. I've gotten 30 coins since yesterday so far from being in five gyms.

Granted these are more coins than I earned with the old system most of the time, but I can't tell if its because I got a head start on everyone when it went live. lol

Am I the only one getting tons of freezes now? Maybe still due the servers? I got constant freezes in several menus.

Also, I love that my work's gym will never give coins again. Everyone is kick out monsters too quick to anyone able to get coins lol

Yeah had a handful of crashes right now

Our best local valor player (37) is in a raid right now! She's sending us pics as she goes. It's a 24,162CP Blastoise, level 4 raid. She's solo and doesn't think it's doable without a team, but we'll see.

They seriously need to fix this "Gym is under attack!" nonsense. Twice now I've been unable to join gyms because of it, despite them NOT being under attack.

gutshot

They seriously need to fix this "Gym is under attack!" nonsense. Twice now I've been unable to join gyms because of it, despite them NOT being under attack.

Yeah, just tried to join a gym and couldn't. Waited a couple mins to see if it would reset, then someone else got in ahead of me.

Lots of glitches and lag with the gyms ATM. Hopefully Niantic has a hotfix ready soon.

Firemind

My local group tested this and apparently when multiple people attack a gym, there will be a 10 or so minute window for people who attacked to join the gym. If I were to guess is it's to avoid people from stealing their spots when they put in the effort. It's not conclusive evidence though.

GulAtiCa

I'm lv 34 and got a raid pass. My raid screen no longer says I'm under level.

Edit. There is a raid near by and I can take it on. Lv 2 though

elguero

I'm level 31 and just got a raid pass from a friendly gym. Beta expanding this weekend?

Edit: just reloaded the thread and found out I'm not special 😂

Growlie19

Yep, got myself a raid pass. Unfortunately, all sponsored spots in my area are Pokéstops AFAIK. So I might have to wait until they move on from sponsored gyms before participating. Oh well.

Walked back to my only gym to feed berries. My Vaporeon and three others barely lost any motivation while the Dragonite and Tyranitar were nearly depleted. They weren't kidding about stronger demotivation in stronger mons, yeesh!

zulux21

so do we have times on things now.

how long after a raid is triggered do people have to get to the raid.
at which point do we learn what pokemon they will face (aka during the countdown or after it launches)
after it launches how much time do you have to beat the boss?

Doomsayer

Why not just open raids to all levels? It makes no sense, now the higher levels are just going to stack even better mons while everyone else gets left in the dust.

zulux21

Why not just open raids to all levels? It makes no sense, now the higher levels are just going to stack even better mons while everyone else gets left in the dust.

it rewards the players who play the most. and in general is a fair way to beta test something.
you play more/harder you get some extra bonuses.

if you aren't level 31+ quite frankly you weren't ever going to catch up with the upper tier at this point anyways.

GulAtiCa

Finished my 1st raid boss against a Electrabuzz. Caught it. 5 of us took it on.

They are beta testing it. Already at lv 31+

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
level 34 got a raid pass but still says i am under leveled but on the bright side i stumbled into 3 mareeps and evolved a donphan today pretty jazzed about that

Top Bottom