• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

been having a really fun time doing the gyms and raids, the new place i moved to is right between two gyms that I've taken over and now just feed my pokemon and other Valor members berries, haven't gotten any good pokemon via raids though; only a quilava and a Magmar, there was a snolax one but I already have 5(with 4 of them with +80% ivs)

GulAtiCa

And 400 stardust, which looks even more valuable to you at this point. :p

haha, yeah. I really need a lot now. Not sure how I'm possibly going to even level up all these future pokemon.. Since I have so many pokeballs again, I've been catching everything to increase my stardust.

What do you guys think the chances of them discounting either bag or Pokemon storage any time soon is? I can see them doing some sort of big sale for the anniversary? I'm almost always maxed out of both, but I don't want to buy the upgrades at full price.

This is actually what i've been waiting for for months now.

I was hoarding coins for the anniversary hoping we get some nice bundles and cheap storage upgrades.

Its funny seeing people's storage here. I've been at 350 items/ 350 pokemon and i'm LVL 31 (F2P player here)

gutshot

This is actually what i've been waiting for for months now.

I was hoarding coins for the anniversary hoping we get some nice bundles and cheap storage upgrades.

Its funny seeing people's storage here. I've been at 350 items/ 350 pokemon and i'm LVL 31 (F2P player here)

Yeah, I'm at 400 and 400. I bought some Pokemon upgrades when it was discounted during the Gen II launch. But my roster has grown quite a bit since then. The lack of needing prestigers has helped though and I'm hoping I can hold off on upgrading until Gen III launches.

The additional items are really starting to make bag space a big issue though. I kind of want to hoard rare candies, but might not be able to if I don't upgrade my bag soon.

I've been doing 1000/1000 forever...but now that there is no prestiging, you don't need any of those mid level pokemon so I'm emptying out that, and no friendly gym battles so you only need half the potions you needed before, only to heal for enemy team gym battles and raids. plenty of room for all these new items. it feels like the variety of stuff makes my inventory an actual inventory now.

elguero

keep in mind that golden razzberries and golden pinap berries show up in the source code. you'll also likely want to hoard some TMs after a while.

zulux21

man they really toned down raids.

been scanning all week across 26 gyms and I haven't seen a single 4* raid.
heck I think I have only seen like 3 3* raids in the last few days
and up until this last hour there had only been 2 raids active at the same time across all the gyms today.

man they really toned down raids.

been scanning all week across 26 gyms and I haven't seen a single 4* raid.
heck I think I have only seen like 3 3* raids in the last few days
and up until this last hour there had only been 2 raids active at the same time across all the gyms today.

There have been level 4 raids all over the place these past couple of days down here. Honestly, I hope the level 1&2 raids become more prevalent during the weekdays and more level 3&4's happen over the weekend. Its tougher to get a group to go raiding during the work week and level 1 & 2's can be beaten solo, while 3's and 4's you definitely need a group. Easier to get a group on the weekend

zulux21

There have been level 4 raids all over the place these past couple of days down here. Honestly, I hope the level 1&2 raids become more prevalent during the weekdays and more level 3&4's happen over the weekend. Its tougher to get a group to go raiding during the work week and level 1 & 2's can be beaten solo, while 3's and 4's you definitely need a group. Easier to get a group on the weekend

eh level 3 more needs a pair than a group. I am only level 27 and the two I have tried the jolteon was easily killed with another level 27 player and the arcanine was 80% dead by just myself so another player would have easily been able to finish it with me.

Those Tier 4 raids are not messing around. My bf and I saw a Lapras at our nearest gym and texted our neighbors to come with us. The four of us were there and joined by two others after a minute. The six of us couldn't take it down. Ran out of time. It had just a sliver if health left at the end both times we tried.
If we'd just had one more person we could have done it, but it was really cool to have six people all show up for a raid in what is usually a pretty dead suburban area. :)

gutshot

YES! Finally got my Tyranitar! It was scary for a minute there as my game disconnected and it kept giving me errors when I tried to feed him berries. But I finally reconnected and was able to give him a golden razz and got an excellent curve throw to take him down.

Now I'll just evolve one of my Larvitar for the Pupitar Dex entry and the only Mons I'll have left to get for a complete Gen 2 collection are Togepi, Porygon2, Ampharos and Unown.

HiResDes

Haven't played in a while picked up it to play a raid, get to my favorite gym wait for the egg to bust, it's a fucking Magikarp that I solo in less than ten seconds...LOL

GulAtiCa

Ignore: Some are now reporting that it's possible to enter a raid lobby and if you leave before the raid begins you won't use up your raid pass. Not 100% confirmed yet. But this would be a great improvement.

Edit: Apparently this worked, but only for a limited time. Now back to normal system sadly.

Qwark

Does anybody know if you get coins for the time you're in a gym that it's part of a raid? I assume not since you temporarily leave the gym, but it still lists that you're in a gym, so I'm not sure.

GulAtiCa

Does anybody know if you get coins for the time you're in a gym that it's part of a raid? I assume not since you temporarily leave the gym, but it still lists that you're in a gym, so I'm not sure.

I would assume you do. Since those pokemon are still there, safe and hidden. They don't get knocked out at all. So getting into a gym before a raid happens adds 6 coins easily.

HiResDes

The gyms are actually more stagnant than ever, and what's worse being blue they're always filled so I can't even even join friendly gyms...The decrease in slots is idiotic. Definitely still a shit ton of spoofers so even if you knock one down that shit is going right back up.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, taking down gyms is piss easy now. Even a fully motivated 6 pokemon gym can take you only 10 to 15 minutes max depending on your and their pokemon. Though, the game really needs to give an incentive to take down gyms.

But yeah, cheaters suck. Before the update, there used to be this spoofer or bot that would constantly take over gyms for month period. Haven't seen them come back.

There is a lv 4 Raid in an hour nearby, but it's raining a good bit now. Not sure if worth the trip out to see if anyone would be there. If it stopped raining I might, esp since would add 5 gyms for me.

The new gym system has some problems. Ive been locked in the same 2 gyms for 4 days now. There has also been a few days where I earned no coins, and some days where coins were wasted due to getting knocked out all at the same time.

Here's some protips:

Go to high traffic areas at low traffic times, like early in the morning. By noon you'll get knocked out and get your coins.

Put you crappiest pokes in gyms. Don't put dragonites and blisseys and what not, your wasting max potions when they comeback.

put in your weedles and rats. Or for funsies, shuckles and togepei.

And for the love of God DON'T FEED THE POKEMON.

GulAtiCa

It stopped raining, so ended up going to see what the raid was. Was a Snorlax! By time I got there, was 10 people! 5 more showed up after we started. Didn't catch it, only got 6 tries.. But did get bunch more Rare candies. Got 31 in total now. Saving them up.

Was fun.

gutshot

I only feed berries if the Mons have been in there for 9 hours or less. Otherwise I let them decay and hope someone will take down the gym.

Ive contemplated using my wife's old account, she quit months ago. Just to kick my pokemon out of gyms (she's on a different team), but then I would have to upkeep 2 accounts. One is enough lol

2nd day in a row where absolutly nobody showed up for a Tyranitar raid. It was at lunch time in a very active park and I was the only one there for the raid. I burned my free pass this time just to see if maybe spoofers would show up, but nope. This game is beyond dead where I live despite tons of gyms in the surrounding area. I honestly don't get it. I think my only shot at doing a tier 4 raid is going to Santa Monica Pier. Now I have to deal with timing it right and hoping a Tyranitar raid pops up while I'm down there. It's incredibly frustrating. I wish we could see who was at the raid before we have to burn our pass.

zulux21

2nd day in a row where absolutly nobody showed up for a Tyranitar raid. It was at lunch time in a very active park and I was the only one there for the raid. I burned my free pass this time just to see if maybe spoofers would show up, but nope. This game is beyond dead where I live despite tons of gyms in the surrounding area. I honestly don't get it. I think my only shot at doing a tier 4 raid is going to Santa Monica Pier. Now I have to deal with timing it right and hoping a Tyranitar raid pops up while I'm down there. It's incredibly frustrating. I wish we could see who was at the raid before we have to burn our pass.

i'm hoping people will show up when I go to a level 4 raid in 45 min. it will be the first level 4 raid in my town in like 3 days... so yeah.

i'm hoping people will show up when I go to a level 4 raid in 45 min. it will be the first level 4 raid in my town in like 3 days... so yeah.
Hopefully you have much better luck than I did. I think my problem is that there are level 4 raids all over the place in SoCal, so nobody cares when one pops and it fragments the player base. The fact that it's your first Tier 4 in days seems promising.

GulAtiCa

That sucks. My area is still pretty damn active, like I said 15 people showed up for a Snorlax. This system really needs a way of knowing how many people will show up/etc.

Also, Does your local area/town/city/etc have a specific Pokemon Go Reddit? Discord? Though I don't know anyone, I do check my local POGO reddit (Atlanta) as well in a Discord with others now for raids.

That sucks. My area is still pretty damn active, like I said 15 people showed up for a Snorlax. This system really needs a way of knowing how many people will show up/etc.

Also, Does your local area/town/city/etc have a specific Pokemon Go Reddit? Discord? Though I don't know anyone, I do check my local POGO reddit (Atlanta) as well in a Discord with others now for raids.
I'll have to look into Discord. That's a good idea! I live in Los Angeles. The POGO Reddit for L.A. last post was 2 days ago, lol. I think I just have to go to the touristy hotspots and hope that works out. Santa Monica Pier, Downtown Disney, ect. It just sucks because there are 4 star raids a minute from where I live. I can even hit one gym without leaving my place. There are tons of gyms and stops all over my area, but it looks like I'm going to be stuck driving in hopes more people will show up. I was able to complete one Tier 4 Raid at a mall last weekend, so I may have to pretend it's the 90s and start going to the mall more often.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, the Atlanta Reddit one isn't really updated that much. Honestly, when I found out about the TheSilphRoad, I abandoned that Atlanta one for the TheSilphRoad.

But, someone at a early raid mentioned discord for our reddit. And it's really getting packed and used quite often. Like 50 people online in it right now.

You should ask in the group for a discord invite, if none exists/etc. Else, maybe consider creating one.

zulux21

Hopefully you have much better luck than I did. I think my problem is that there are level 4 raids all over the place in SoCal, so nobody cares when one pops and it fragments the player base. The fact that it's your first Tier 4 in days seems promising.

my luck was mixed.

no one was at the raid (turned out to be a lapris)
but at the stop near the raid a venusaur spawned (something i haven't bothered making yet) and I caught that lol.

The raid update is awesome. Went to a Snorlax raid and found 4 other people already there. Recommended I join the local discord group and it has been awesome. Met new friends and we did a couple more raids. This is what Pokemon Go was meant to be.

Joining the discord is key. Ask around the reddit of your local pokemon group and there should be one there.

Soloed a Machamp.

Was really easy. Used 2550 Alakazam with Psycho Cut and Future Sight, 2600 Espeon with Confusion and Future Sight, 2500 Exeggutor with Confusion and Psychic, then three 3200 Dragonites (none even with Hurricane).
Had 20 seconds left.

Was under 82% IVs but I got a TM to change the 93% one I got the other night to Counter/Dynamic Punch so still happy.

Love the new update. I finished a 5k race and decided to walk around my college campus to cool down. Noticed at machamp raid popped. I knew I wasn't going to be able to solo it but I walked there anyways (it was 9:40 in the morning). As I approached noticed there was a guy a car parked. As i stood at the gym another guy in a van pulled up. We grouped up, beat the Machamp and caught it.

This update did bring a few people back (including me). I don't think the update is enough to hook people back long term but it's a start.

Blizzard

Banned
I see some similar comments, but I need help understanding the situation now. For one thing, yesterday I finally found a gym that WASN'T owned by people on my team. Or rather it was owned, but was under attack. Then it was 2 pokemon. Then it was 1 pokemon. Then it was gray.

I try to add, says it's under attack. Try to add, says it's under attack. Eventually I restart the game and it says it's owned by yellow team instead.

OK, I sign up to fight the 1 yellow team person who owns it. After I defeat them, it says there's another...and makes me fight 6 people. At the end of the battle, that 1 person who owned the gym has turned into 6 yellow people. Yellow, of all teams, in a random non-downtown gym with not a single obvious nearby person who is playing. And after I beat all 6, maybe 1 of them lost a tiny bit of stamina.

Questions part 1: What happened here? Why did people go from empty to 6? Is there an effective way of taking down a gym, if even super effective attacks barely reduce stamina on 1 pokemon, resulting in 10-12 gym attempts potentially being required for a single capture?

Questions part 2: Do I understand correctly that there is basically no way to earn coins now? I used to be able to afford an egg incubator maybe once every 2 weeks by getting 10 coins per day if I could stay in a gym or find a weak gym. Now, the following appears to be the case.
  1. You can only have 6 pokemon in a gym rather than 10.
  2. You can't tell if a gym is full from a distance, other than possibly by a vague visual height effect that's not as obvious as in the past. You have to click and inspect.
  3. If a gym does NOT have 6 people, you can instantly put anything in, with no gym-building required.
  4. Because of #3, anyone who is spoofing can very quickly fill any gym they can find.
  5. Because of #4 and questions part 1, almost every gym I can find is owned by my team, and the very few that aren't take essentially no damage, e.g. half stamina to a single pokemon by defeating the entire team with strong pokemon using super effective attacks.
  6. Pokemon apparently cannot decay out of gyms -- I've seen an empty stamina 652 power pokemon in a local gym for days now.
  7. Even if you manage to solve all of the above, you can't get more than 50 coins per day (or per pokemon?).

What am I missing here?

If that's possible in my area, sure, but what about the gym only taking minimal damage to a single pokemon after a full fight, and what about the 6 yellow people appearing from an empty just-defeated gym midbattle?
Spoofers. And they were probably healing their Pokemon while you were fighting.

Top Bottom