• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Leunam

Fuck it, I'm grabbing Gold or Silver purely as an impulse. Is the difference between the two versions still just what pokemon are available?

FootNinja said:
Is the guy to check IV's still in battle frontier? is there anyone who gives you hints about your IV's any earlier than that in SS/HG?

I believe that was confirmed a few pages ago. I'd say yes, he's still there.

Jokey665 said:
Partially true. You have to knock out the legendary and then beat the E4.

Thanks, good to know. I'm nowhere close to being able to catch the legendaries yet.

Leunam said:
Fuck it, I'm grabbing Gold or Silver purely as an impulse. Is the difference between the two versions still just what pokemon are available?

Yes. You can check each version's exclusive Pokémon here.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_HeartGold_and_SoulSilver_Versions

Salaadin

Leunam said:

Pretty much. Gold is better though, despite what the thread title says.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Damn, I went home to my parents over the weekend and couldn't find my Fat Red DS. I guess I will have to wait for my refurb being shipped to their house which I'll get this coming weekend.

Other messed up news, I might be the first person that ruined his pokewalker through the wash.......

edit: and I guess I'll wait till E3 to see if I still want the DS XL or not.

Agentnibs

Gravijah said:
My cheap strategy versus
Red
... failed.

Gengar + Destiny Bond + revive my other Pokemon + hope Gengar can outspeed=two 'mon left.

:lol Haha I pulled that old trick for one of Lance's dragonites. I didn't want to but I was getting bored and just wanted to move on without having to spend hours grinding so I imported gengar and my gallade from platinum to help me out. I put them away after that though.
I'm determined to take out red with only pokemon I trained in this game!

Dogenzaka

Banned
Leunam said:

Yep.

Pretty much. Gold is better though, despite what the thread title says.

We'll see how cool your Ho-oh is once my Lugia uses Hydro Pump.

Echoes

OMG Aero said:
Don't suppose anyone has a spare psychic TM I could have?
I finally evolved my Eevee into an Espeon but I just looked it up on Bulbapedia and it won't learn any psychic move for another 10 levels. All it has right now is headbutt and quick attack and its attack stat is terrible.
I can give you one. FC 4984 7134 0994

Choopy

Neo Member
Dabookerman said:
Voltorb flip is GENIUS! I think I may stick a Dratini in my party.

I still don't understand how to play this game. Some people keep telling me it's like minesweeper... But I don't think that's how it works? :S

Salaadin

Choopy said:
I still don't understand how to play this game. Some people keep telling me it's like minesweeper... But I don't think that's how it works? :S

I cant get it either. Then again, I cant play minesweeper either.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Salaadin said:
I cant get it either. Then again, I cant play minesweeper either.

It's all about thinking and predicting. Not guessing.
If you get good at it, you should be able to make it past each round without messing up at all.

The Voltorb number tells you how many Voltorbs are in that row.
And the actual number above that, like 6 or 5, tells you what the total value of the panels adds up to be.

So if you have a row that says:
Voltorbs: 1

That means that of the (how many? Five panels?) five panels in that row, ONE of the panels is a Voltorb (Game Over) and the other four panels MUST add up in value to 6.

You want to find all the 2s and 3s on the board to proceed to the next round.

So that row could, for example be:
2--2--Voltorb--1--1 = 6

But how do you know which panels are in what order? It could also be Voltorb---2---1--2--1 and you don't want to guess wrong, or it's game over!

Well, you have to look at the other rows and look at their Voltorb numbers and rules, and eliminate the possibilities as you go.

First off, find all the rows with ZERO Voltorbs (if you have any). That tells you that that row is completely safe to flip and you can flip over all the numbers in that row. By using that, you can then slowly eliminate and guess which numbers satisfy the rules for the other rows and columns.

You can scribble and erase your predictions on a practice board on the side of the touch-screen.

It's sort of like Sudoku.

joelseph

Dabookerman said:
Voltorb flip is GENIUS! I think I may stick a Dratini in my party.

After you get the 8th gym badge
you will be given a low level Dratini that has the chance of having Extremespeed.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Anyone have a spare misdreavus? Doesn't matter what kind, I just need it for breeding pain split and it would probably be more trouble to get someone to transfer my missyD from my platinum file.

Almost done with my team, I just need to finish breeding my spiritomb and snorlax.
Speaking of which, anyone with a careful ditto, name your price.

joelseph said:
After you get the 8th gym badge
you will be given a low level Dratini that has the chance of having Extremespeed.

Yeah I know about that (you have to answer all the questions correct). But I figured one would work for now.

Holy crap. I got this as a birthday gift last week because I lost my copy of Diamond, but I can't believe how addicted I am to Soul Silver. Yellow was the last game I played before Diamond, and I didn't really get that far in Diamond (the Pokemon beauty contest...). I also never realized the Gold and Silver editions had the reputation they apparently did.

I'm off to raise my newly captured Drowzee now...

jdogmoney

Dabookerman said:
Yeah I know about that (you have to answer all the questions correct). But I figured one would work for now.

Haha, I didn't know about this until after the fact. I answered the questions right anyway. :D

Fitz

Damned Safari Zone guy not calling me, he was supposed to call yesterday, I want my Larvitar.

Also, anyone know of a list of EVERY Pokemon, preferably in order which has pictures of their in battle sprites? There's a lot of names I can't place so I'd like to be able to just scroll through a big list of Pokemon without having to click through one by one to familiarize myself.

Finally took care of Claire, had to switch between 2-3 pokemon. I manage to make her Kingdra waste Hydropump while Hounchkrow used Fly :lol

Gravijah

eosos said:
Is discussion about an r4 card a bannable offense in this thread? Not that I ever would.
Please don't ban me D:

You can talk about R4 cards and other things, you can talk about transferring your own personal games to said cards, but you CANNOT talk about pirating games/etc.

Agentnibs

Anyone know the importance of the sign post that says to look to the east of it?
Spoiler I guess?
It on
route 13 in kanto. There's just a blank piece of ground that you can't walk over and all it does is make that sound you get when you bump into things.

Rpgmonkey

Finally got this in the mail today.

I could be driven to play this purely on nostalgia and I still wouldn't care, lol. Luckily, it's a lot of fun.

Gonna try to get the team I used in the original Gold. Already have three of them so far, I just need to remember the other three I had...

Unicorn

Cow Mengde said:
Dogenzaka's Lugia used Hydro Pump.

Hydro Pump missed.
sexychengong.gif

Unicorn

Guardian Bob said:
Yeah, but it adds to the world I guess.
It's dumb Indigo Plateau is still some odd Middle point where you can fly to anywhere from, but if you're anywhere in kanto/johto you can't fly to the other country/region.

WTF?

Daheza

So I am a lil confused. I have a ds from a long time ago, how are you guys using wifi and friend codes? I believe that mine only has local wireless connection right? Also will soul silver/gold work on this ds?

Wizpig

Daheza said:
So I am a lil confused. I have a ds from a long time ago, how are you guys using wifi and friend codes? I believe that mine only has local wireless connection right? Also will soul silver/gold work on this ds?
Every DS can access the Nintendo WiFi Connection.
And yes it will work on DS/DSLite/DSi/DSiXL, but you can't use the DualSlot on the DSi/DSiXL for obvious reasons.

btkadams

Johnlenham said:
What on earth :lol the bullet train is so pointless.
yeah i thought i remembered it being the only way to get between johto and kanto in the originals. im prob wrong though. it definitely isn't as cool as it should be. it's pointless.

eosos said:
Is discussion about an r4 card a bannable offense in this thread? Not that I ever would.
Please don't ban me D:

Well I own all the DS Pokemon games, except Heart Gold (which will change tomorrow or Wednesday : D) But I have copies of the game on my R4 if I want to back up certain Pokemon. It's a useful tool in that respect. It's pretty much the way I'm aware of, that you can clone Pokemon as well. Backing up, I guess is a form of cloning, sorta.

Fusebox

Banned
eosos said:
Okay, so can I transfer my game(heart gold) to an r4? Will it run? Thanks!

How would you 'transfer' it? You'd have to start a new game using the ROM wouldn't you?

At any rate HG/SS freezes on my M3i and it isn't compatible use the Pokewalker so it isn't worth it imo.

In other news I caught a Ho-oh, I called it Uh-oh!

Top Bottom