• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

eosos

Banned
Fusebox said:
How would you 'transfer' it? You'd have to start a new game using the ROM wouldn't you?

At any rate HG/SS freezes on my M3i and it isn't compatible use the Pokewalker so it isn't worth it imo.

In other news I caught a Ho-oh, I called it Uh-oh!
Someone said that you can transfer it so I figured it was possible.

Teknoman

Alright, im confused by the Pokewalker. When you put a pokemon in the walker, will only one other type of pokemon appear depending on how many steps you have, or can there be 3 different wild pokemon at any one time?

joelseph

Teknoman said:
Alright, im confused by the Pokewalker. When you put a pokemon in the walker, will only one other type of pokemon appear depending on how many steps you have, or can there be 3 different wild pokemon at any one time?

3 Pokemon are selected from the 6 available for that course. There are 3 groups, 1 from each group is selected. The more steps you have the greater chance you will run into the pokemon from the 3rd group.

Fusebox said:
:(

My Ho-oh is Brave. What's the difference?
Brave nature makes the attack stat naturally higher and the speed stat naturally lower.

Adamant makes the attack stat naturally higher as well but only decreases the special attack stat, which isn't as afflicting a nature to Gyrados as he excells in physical attack power which is reliant on the attack and not the special attack stat.

A list of natures and their effects can be found here.

Go damn it they need to cut down the HM's or at least bunch them up into one

Water Works:
-Field: Use Whirlpool, Surf, Waterfall(have each badge unlock one)
-Battle: For the next 5 turns water attacks always go first

Hard Work
-Field: Use Strength, Rock Smash, Rock climb, Cut
-Battle: Increase the critical hit ratio of attacks relying on Attack attribute/stat

Also a flashlight for a key item would be nice for exploring random Diglett cave, Zubat Cavern, or Geodude Cave

The water moves I don't mind since they actually do good damage in battle but the other HM's are almost useless in battle. Its like I need 2 HM slaves if I'm gonna do any exploring around.

upandaway

Was this posted yet (it's from /v/)? Photobucket felt like resizing it, but it looks readable.
Here's a download if you can't read it: http://www.mediafire.com/?nzgzfmziz2n

1269893749258.png

I noticed I did a lot of runs similar to PARTS of this one (like, one of the conditions in one run), so I'm gonna try it on my Red cart, with the only leeway being I'm not gonna stick to only 6 Pokemon at a time. No fucking way am I restarting my game every time I die.

I fully expect lots and lots of grinding.

Unicorn

upandaway said:
Was this posted yet (it's from /v/)? Photobucket felt like resizing it, but it looks readable.

I noticed I did a lot of runs similar to PARTS of this one (like, one of the conditions in one run), so I'm gonna try it on my Red cart, with the only leeway being I'm not gonna stick to only 6 Pokemon at a time. No fucking way am I restarting my game every time I die.

The top portion of that chart is fucked. the arrows make no sense with the "flow"

Wiseblade

Dabookerman said:
Well I own all the DS Pokemon games, except Heart Gold (which will change tomorrow or Wednesday : D) But I have copies of the game on my R4 if I want to back up certain Pokemon. It's a useful tool in that respect. It's pretty much the way I'm aware of, that you can clone Pokemon as well. Backing up, I guess is a form of cloning, sorta.
250px-Pokemon_Emerald_boxart_EN-US.jpg

¬.¬

Wizpig

upandaway said:

But... I don't really get Pokémon "runs".
It's not like we are talking about Metroid or Super Mario.
Is it just me? do you delete old games to start new runs?

What I know is that I didn't even manage to finish the story mode in LeafGreen and Yellow as of today.
I finished Blue/Gold/Sapphire/Pearl and now I'm playing HeartGold of course.

@Wiseblade: I think you can clone in EVERY Pokémon game, unfortunately, what's special about Emerald?
In a perfect world, no clones and action replay/hacked pokémon would exist.

upandaway

Wizpig said:
But... I don't really get Pokémon "runs".
It's not like we are talking about Metroid or Super Mario.
Is it just me? do you delete old games to start new runs?

What I know is that I didn't even manage to finish the story mode in LeafGreen and Yellow as of today.
I finished Blue/Gold/Sapphire/Pearl and now I'm playing HeartGold of course.
There's a lot of strategy involved. I look at awe at the Speed Run Archive's Red speedrun.
I'm the type to like the world of Pokemon and the different contexts, but the big strategy speaks to me too. I replayed Red over and over again when I was a kid, so I never had a save for it in the first place (and catching all 151 was so easy I did it almost every run). I'm also replaying Platinum right now, because of a bug but whatever, and with a different team it's a different experience completely.

Don't see what's so bad about running RPGs. Especially something like Pokemon where there is no story or cutscenes.

Dabookerman said:
Well I own all the DS Pokemon games, except Heart Gold (which will change tomorrow or Wednesday : D) But I have copies of the game on my R4 if I want to back up certain Pokemon. It's a useful tool in that respect. It's pretty much the way I'm aware of, that you can clone Pokemon as well. Backing up, I guess is a form of cloning, sorta.

GTS cloning

Takes some practice to get it right but it's very much doable.

Poyunch

Reached the Elite Four and I've yet to get the bicycle. :lol

edit: Woah I'm not a junior anymore. That just came out of nowhere.

JSnake

upandaway said:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/bikkou/1269893749258.png[/IMG]

The only good rules are the original ones.

That said, the original Nuzlocke thread was the best thing. "I believe this is all happening for a reason."

Axis said:
mewtwo has to be the easiest legendary to catch...
Palkia and Dialga were each eight minute jobs for me yesterday while Mewtwo has always been a little difficult.

Fake edit:
Is there a connection between the breeding pokemon pair and the eggs when selecting for a nature?

I've been trying to get my hands on a bold Magby and Modest elekid all day and I still can't get one after twenty eggs.

Poyunch

Jokey665 said:
I couldn't find the bike shop so I assumed I'd have to activate some event after defeating Team Rocket in the Radio Tower. By then I'd already forgotten.

upandaway said:
I'll go ahead and say Giratina is the easiest Legendary to catch EVER.

First turn, first Quickball for me. A week afterwards the same thing happens to my friend, in front of my eyes.

I refuse to believe that is all luck.
To add on to that I caught Giratina on my first try with only two ultra balls in Platinum.

upandaway

First turn, first Quickball for me. A week afterwards the same thing happens to my friend, in front of my eyes.

OMG Aero

I'm watching a stream of someone doing the Nuzlocke run right now. He had to restart after getting his party totally destroyed by Gary.

Also, I have a quick question about the PokeWalker. When you are putting a Pokemon in it you drag one from your PC box to one of three boxes to the right of it, but two of the boxes are always greyed out. What are those boxes for?

Gravijah

Little Green Yoda said:
:lol

Pokemon cloning isn't any more unethical/dishonorable than Pokemon eugenics!

How safe is the GTS method anyways? I've thought about using it for a few legendaries, but i'm kinda afraid.

Poyunch

OMG Aero said:
I'm watching a stream of someone doing the Nuzlocke run right now. He had to restart after getting his party totally destroyed by Gary.

Also, I have a quick question about the PokeWalker. When you are putting a Pokemon in it you drag one from your PC box to one of three boxes to the right of it, but two of the boxes are always greyed out. What are those boxes for?
I know in the Pokeathlon those two spaces aren't grayed out because you need a team of three for each contest.

Axis

JosM88 said:
Palkia and Dialga were each eight minute jobs for me yesterday while Mewtwo has always been a little difficult.

Fake edit:
Is there a connection between the breeding pokemon pair and the eggs when selecting for a nature?

I've been trying to get my hands on a bold Magby and Modest elekid all day and I still can't get one after twenty eggs.

take a dark type pokemon and he won't be able to touch it, period

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
upandaway said:

Shaymin. you can check the catch rates for all the pokemon, but as far as harmless pokemon go, shaymin is cake.

Choopy

Neo Member
JosM88 said:

Fake edit:

Make sure the mother (or ditto) is the desired nature and make her hold an Everstone. There's a 50% chance the offspring will end up with that nature.

btkadams

PounchEnvy said:
Reached the Elite Four and I've yet to get the bicycle. :lol

edit: Woah I'm not a junior anymore. That just came out of nowhere.
i forgot to get it until after the 8th gym leader. i was like shiiiiiiit isn't there a bike in this game?

I actually don't like using the bike in this game, running is fine.

Also, Whitney still kicked my ass, and all my Pokémon were around lvl. 26. So I decided to grind a bit, and before I knew it I was doing the Team Rocket Radio Tower quest. 2 out of 3 Pokémon that evolve at 30 are at 30 right now. Once I finish this fight, I'm going to go back.

cdyhybrid

Is there any better place to grind up Pokes before the E4? Some of my Pokemon work fine in Victory road (Starmie with Surf/Ice Beam 1HKOs everything in there), but my Heracross, Togekiss, and Ampharos need somewhere else. Heracross would be alright but the damn Gravelers keep using Selfdestruct before I can KO them =\

Poyunch

cdyhybrid said:
Is there any better place to grind up Pokes before the E4? Some of my Pokemon work fine in Victory road (Starmie with Surf/Ice Beam 1HKOs everything in there), but my Heracross, Togekiss, and Ampharos need somewhere else. Heracross would be alright but the damn Gravelers keep using Selfdestruct before I can KO them =\
What about just using EXP Share? Do EVs not transfer this way?

cdyhybrid

PounchEnvy said:
What about just using EXP Share? Do EVs not transfer this way?

I could use that, but my Starmie will still be far higher level than my other Pokes. He's 46 and everything other than my Ampharos is low-mid 30s :lol I'm kind of OCD about keeping my Pokes around the same level.

Gravijah

cdyhybrid said:
I could use that, but my Starmie will still be far higher level than my other Pokes. He's 46 and everything other than my Ampharos is low-mid 30s :lol I'm kind of OCD about keeping my Pokes around the same level.

Obviously not. :lol

Gravijah said:
How safe is the GTS method anyways? I've thought about using it for a few legendaries, but i'm kinda afraid.

You won't lose your Pokemon due to the glitch as long as you follow the steps correctly. In theory, you could lose it instead of cloning it if you turn off your DS while it's downloading instead of uploading. I did freak out once when my Vaporeon disappeared while cloning. But it turned out the GTS went crazy since it was back in the GTS after I disconnected and reconnected.

If you're afraid of somebody sniping your Pokemon by trading for it, ask for something that's impossible to obtain and hope no hackers are on the prowl.

You should certainly do a trial run with a lousy Pokemon until you feel confident about cloning a prized Pokemon though.

Teknoman

Might just have to take you up on that, Pokewalker never gives you what you want when you want it :lol Trying to stay away from spoiling myself on pokemon that cut the steps.

upandaway said:
Pretty sure Magmar or Feraligatr anything by themselves will be easy win against whitney... question mark?
I has having a HARD time with Magby/Croconaw, but those evolutions made it real easy. Especially Surf which didn't have an effectiveness boost.

Top Bottom