• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Dogenzaka

Banned
Unicorn said:
I got some magby with the ability. Could perhaps grab one from Pearl to trade you.

PM me about it.

about to do some cleaning around my room... Still haven't seen anyone in the wifi room to grab a Growlithe from me.

These have Morning Sun, Flare Blitz, and Sunny Day!
All the ones up for trade are male so you can breed for your own natures and IVs

ME. GIVE.
Getting online. You have my friend code? You never PM'd me I don't think..

Anth0ny

Does that soundtrack include the original G/S/C music? There's over 200 freaking tracks.

edit: It does. Holy fucking shit, I MUST have this.

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
ME. GIVE.
Getting online. You have my friend code? You never PM'd me I don't think..
I have you added and I'm online now.

Anth0ny said:
Does that soundtrack include the original G/S/C music? There's over 200 freaking tracks.

edit: It does. Holy fucking shit, I MUST have this.
Popped in Disc 3 and it Played the Theme Music, then Battle Music, Then the starting adventure music.... So it's gotta have it all.

Sounds so amazing on my nice stereo!

ATTENTION HG/SS PokeGAF:

Unicorn is a cool guy.

Disclaimer: Growlithes may have been exchanged prior to the delivery of this public service announcement.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Unicorn said:
I have you added and I'm online now.

Popped in Disc 3 and it Played the Theme Music, then Battle Music, Then the starting adventure music.... So it's gotta have it all.

Sounds so amazing on my nice stereo!

Awesome! Thanks I'm getting on now.
Do you mind if I trade you my Graveler so it can become a Golem, and then you trade it back to me as well?

But what is your FC :(

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
Awesome! Thanks I'm getting on now.
Do you mind if I trade you my Graveler so it can become a Golem, and then you trade it back to me as well?
That's fine. Bring a derp pokemon as well so you can get growlithe and golem :D

1333-9906-6884
Unicorn

Dogenzaka

Banned
Thank you :D

Now I get to be a puppy breeder

EDIT: Watching the Pokemon Arceus movie on YouTube and OMG

Arceus is pronounced "ARK-EE-US"?!?!?! NOT Ar-say-us?

My world has shattered.

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
Thank you :D

Now I get to be a puppy breeder

EDIT: Watching the Pokemon Arceus movie on YouTube and OMG

Arceus is pronounced "ARK-EE-US"?!?!?! NOT Ar-say-us?

My world has shattered.
I say it ARSE-EE-US, so...

I don't let the anime influence my pronunciations of Pokemon names, I don't care if they are 'official'. They pronounce Milotic My-LOW-tick, for heaven's sake! It's obviously supposed to be like 'melodic'.

Dogenzaka

Banned
matrix-cat said:
I don't let the anime influence my pronunciations of Pokemon names, I don't care if they are 'official'. They pronounce Milotic My-LOW-tick, for heaven's sake! It's obviously supposed to be like 'melodic'.

WHAT

Oh my gosh I need to sit down

I hope over the years they try to replicate the anime as well as possible in the games.
The way battles are in the anime are soo cool, even if it just ended up being a spin-off game. I want real-time battles with set abilities outside of the turn-based rigor.

I guess I just want Pokemon Smash Bros. lol

Firestorm

Dogenzaka said:
WHAT

Oh my gosh I need to sit down

I hope over the years they try to replicate the anime as well as possible in the games.
The way battles are in the anime are soo cool, even if it just ended up being a spin-off game. I want real-time battles with set abilities outside of the turn-based rigor.

I guess I just want Pokemon Smash Bros. lol
Replicate the manga plz

Unicorn

Anyone else want a growlithe?

If not, then I'll be spending the rest of the night leveling up a victreebel to eventually breed some bulbasaurs with Leaf Storm, Solar Beam, Sunny Day.

Firestorm said:
Replicate the manga plz
THIS.

My God.

Echoes

So... with RNG abuse, I could get perfect IVs as well as shiny Pokes (even starters or things like Eevee) ? If so, I am SO learning this shit.

I want a Hidder Power Grass-Zard SOO bad.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Unicorn said:

If not, then I'll be spending the rest of the night leveling up a victreebel to eventually breed some bulbasaurs with Leaf Storm, Solar Beam, Sunny Day.

THIS.

My God.

The only Pokemon manga I ever read was when Ash and co. got stuck on that desert Pokemon island after the SS Anne shipwrecked off Vermilion City.

What's the difference when it comes to battles?

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
The only Pokemon manga I ever read was when Ash and co. got stuck on that desert Pokemon island after the SS Anne shipwrecked off Vermilion City.

Pokemon can die.

Firestorm

Dogenzaka said:

If you have any interest in Pokemon whatsoever, I would highly recommend you buy the following:

Volume 1: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421530546/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Volume 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421530554/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Volume 3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421530554/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Total Cost: $24 USD
Add this for free shipping if you need: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0019IN44G/

That's the first arc of the series. The Yellow arc hasn't been fully released yet in its second edition form. It's the best Pokemon-related story you'll see and I've heard it's closest to the vision the creator had for the series but the source is shaky.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Unicorn said:
Pokemon can die.

D:

Notice how they've babied up the series since the original Red and Blue?
Lavender Town is not nearly as creepy, even the Marowak thing is all gone...and it's like they don't even mention Pokemon being able to die as much as they did back in the original games. Maybe it's just me.

Some townfolk would be like "Oh my Goldeen passed, he was my best friend" or something in the old games, and now you'd never hear something like that in conversation with regular townsfolk.

Echoes said:
So... with RNG abuse, I could get perfect IVs as well as shiny Pokes (even starters or things like Eevee) ? If so, I am SO learning this shit.

Be prepared for a lot of frustration early on :lol

I've been failing to hit the right timing for Raikou for the past few days :[

Unicorn

Dogenzaka said:
D:

Lavender Town is not nearly as creepy, even the Marowak thing is all gone...and it's like they don't even mention Pokemon being able to die as much as they did back in the original games. Maybe it's just me.

Some townfolk would be like "Oh my Goldeen passed, he was my best friend" or something in the old games, and now you'd never hear something like that in conversation with regular townsfolk.
Yeah, as time has gone on, the games have become really bastardized by the anime, it's sort of sad.

Especially visible through the metamorphosis of pikachu's sprite from R/B and Gastly's from R/B to the ones you get now.

The Manga had really dark undertones that could draw in more mature crowds, while still having the appeal a child could relate to. Haunter were pretty terrifying when I read one of the manga when I was about 15. I thought, "Man, I wish the games kept this sort of seriousness about it..."

We'll still get a faint hint of it, like in Drifloon's dex entry:
"It is whispered that any child who mistakes DRIFLOON for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing. "

OOOH! Haunter's is still really grim in HG/SS:
"Its tongue is made of gas. If licked, its victim starts shaking constantly until death eventually comes. "

Dogenzaka said:
D:

I don't remember that stuff being missing from FRLG.

Also, is it true that the manga doesn't follow Ash/Satoshi around through Johto, Hoenn and Shinoh? The anime would have been so much better if Ash had been allowed to grow up and let a new hero take his place.

Firestorm

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't remember that stuff being missing from FRLG.

Also, is it true that the manga doesn't follow Ash/Satoshi around through Johto, Hoenn and Shinoh? The anime would have been so much better if Ash had been allowed to grow up and let a new hero take his place.
Nope. Red is the hero of RB arc. Yellow is the hero of the Y arc. Gold for GSC. I haven't gone into the RSE, FRLG, or DP arcs yet. It's all one universe though. Red, Blue, and Yellow all made appearances in the GSC arc.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Unicorn said:
Yeah, as time has gone on, the games have become really bastardized by the anime, it's sort of sad.

Especially visible through the metamorphosis of pikachu's sprite from R/B and Gastly's from R/B to the ones you get now.

The Manga had really dark undertones that could draw in more mature crowds, while still having the appeal a child could relate to. Haunter were pretty terrifying when I read one of the manga when I was about 15. I thought, "Man, I wish the games kept this sort of seriousness about it..."

We'll still get a faint hint of it, like in Drifloon's dex entry:
"It is whispered that any child who mistakes DRIFLOON for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing. "

OOOH! Haunter's is still really grim in HG/SS:
"Its tongue is made of gas. If licked, its victim starts shaking constantly until death eventually comes. "

Man I remember seeing the anime, though, when Ash found Saffron City and took on Sabrina. She was ABSOLUTELY CREEPY, and going to the old tower or whatever in Lavender Town to catch a Haunter was pretty creepy too.

When I saw Sabrina in HGSS where she's this spunky psychic teenager I literally facepalmed.

Firestorm

Dogenzaka said:
Man I remember seeing the anime, though, when Ash found Saffron City and took on Sabrina. She was ABSOLUTELY CREEPY, and going to the old tower or whatever in Lavender Town to catch a Haunter was pretty creepy too.

When I saw Sabrina in HGSS where she's this spunky psychic teenager I literally facepalmed.
not kidding
read the manga

it has no relation to the anime. more in common with the games than the anime i'd say

Unicorn

Firestorm said:
not kidding
read the manga

it has no relation to the anime. more in common with the games than the anime i'd say
Yeah, no tag-along Gym Leader who abandon their fucking career to follow the shadow of a god-damned 10 year old.

Delio

Ah guess i have to cacth you giving the growlithes out later Unicorn. I was leveling more of my tournament team and didnt notice you giving them out heh.

Echoes said:

Wow. I was about to ask "What is this RNG business?" when I decided to Google it, and right now I'm thinking about all the hours I'm going to pour into this.

I've done a lot of IV breeding in RSE, getting a few really great Pokes out of it. I have a Modest Gardevoir with something like 31/29/30/31/31/31 which took me weeks. All of that was done the hard way, though, with boxes upon boxes of new generations of parents to keep the babies getting better and better. After going through that I think I'm entitled to some RNG abuse :D

Unicorn

Delio said:
Ah guess i have to cacth you giving the growlithes out later Unicorn. I was leveling more of my tournament team and didnt notice you giving them out heh.
I'm still here if you want to trade now... Just let me know your FC

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I fucking hate the Goal Save in Pokethlon, otherwise I am loving it!

Also, damn it, the Pennant Race didn't say that I have to go back to the goal to score the flags!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
cabot said:
Thanks for the reply, dude.

So my cousin has platinum and I know that monferno is in it. so i couldn't trade with him and bring his monferno into my soul silver?

again, my apologies; i'm sure this is a REALLY stupid question. SS is my first pokemon game.
Yes, yes! Of course you can. Those "unobtainable" means you can't get them in HG/SS ALONE, meaning that to get them you have to trade with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Unicorn said:

THIS.

My God.

If they are still up for grabs then I wouldn't mind one, what are you after in return?

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I'm in the second half of the game and I think it's time to get an idea for what I want my team to be. I want it to be relatively competitive. But I especially want to roflstomp a buddy of mine.

I want a team that is annoying as hell, really. Was thinking about the entry hazard style team (stealth rock, poison spikes), but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure I want Gyrados and Snorlax, though. Just because I like them. And I hear Snorlax can make your tears cry tears.

OMG Aero

by any chance could someone help me trade two Pokemon from my copy of Pearl to Soul Silver?
I have a Spiritomb on Pearl with Nasty Plot that I'd like to breed with a Misdreavus I just got and I also have a Magby I'd like to trade across to help me hatch eggs.

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, so I'm in the second half of the game and I think it's time to get an idea for what I want my team to be. I want it to be relatively competitive. But I especially want to roflstomp a buddy of mine.

I want a team that is annoying as hell, really. Was thinking about the entry hazard style team (stealth rock, poison spikes), but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure I want Gyrados and Snorlax, though. Just because I like them. And I hear Snorlax can make your tears cry tears.

If you want an annoying team, get a Togekiss with loads of secondary status moves.

Firestorm

Eteric Rice said:

Stealth Rock is a good move on any team. I have no qualms calling it the most broken, overpowered move in the game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
If you have any interest in Pokemon whatsoever, I would highly recommend you buy the following:

Volume 1: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421530546/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Volume 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421530554/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Volume 3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421530554/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Total Cost: $24 USD
Add this for free shipping if you need: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0019IN44G/

That's the first arc of the series. The Yellow arc hasn't been fully released yet in its second edition form. It's the best Pokemon-related story you'll see and I've heard it's closest to the vision the creator had for the series but the source is shaky.

heh, I remember reading that as a kid. In retrospect I guess that was my first manga.

Wiseblade

Firestorm said:
Stealth Rock is a good move on any team. I have no qualms calling it the most broken, overpowered move in the game.
"But it keeps Salamence and Gyarados in check!"

I totally agree. The move single handedly makes virtually every fire and bug type useless.

Echoes said:
SHINY CHARMANDER HATCHED!!!!

OMGGGGGGGGGGGG
Haha go go Echoes, this is your 2nd or 3rd shiny in the game, right? We should form an exclusive Shiny club since it appears we both have the right luck to find shinies.

cdyhybrid

Thinking about making a team for either another playthrough of Platinum or Soul Silver (if I buy it). My thinking when putting together this team was just using Pokemon that I found cool/interesting. Plan to use it for my playthrough and then casual battling. This is what I have so far:

Dragonite - Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Earthquake, ExtremeSpeed
Flygon - Earthquake, Outrage, U-turn, Stone Edge
Houndoom - Overheat, Crunch, Pursuit, Thunderfang
Breloom (with Toxic Orb) - Spore, Focus Punch, Seed Bomb, Stone Edge
Articuno (my favorite Pokemon!) - Substitute, Roost, Toxic, Ice Beam

I need one more Pokemon to round out my team, but I'm having trouble with finding any gaping holes in this lineup. I have three pretty powerful attackers (Dragonite, Houndoom, Breloom), a support/attacker in Flygon, and a defensive staller/annoyer in Articuno. Any roles/type coverages that obviously need filling?

Edit: All this Stealth Rock discussion has me thinking about Aerodactyl for that last slot with Stealth Rock, Taunt, Rock Slide, and something else. Not sure what that last move would be. Maybe Fly?

Ookami-kun said:
I fucking hate the Goal Save in Pokethlon, otherwise I am loving it!

Also, damn it, the Pennant Race didn't say that I have to go back to the goal to score the flags!
Goal Save is my least favorite in pokeathlon as well. Any games were you directly compete against the pokemon from the other teams can be annoying as fuck.

Eteric Rice

Firestorm said:

Whats the best thing to get it out with?

I was also thinking about using Pokemon with shit like sandstorm. Being poisoned when switching, hit by a rock when switching, and getting railed by a sandstorm would be annoying as fuck.

It sounds beautiful. :lol

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
Haha go go Echoes, this is your 2nd or 3rd shiny in the game, right? We should form an exclusive Shiny club since it appears we both have the right luck to find shinies.
Second :D Diglett (with good nature/IVs) and Charmander with the perfect nature (for me) and good-to-great IVs :lol I am so lucky.

As for Stealth Rock; Skarmory with Stealth Rock + Spikes + Roar = omg.

Echoes

My friend used that on me. I started with Shuckle (Stealth Rock + Rest + Toxic) while he started with this nasty beast. Three turns later, with two Spikes and Stealth Rock; he kept on using Roar until Magmortar finally showed up in which it scared him away. However, the damage to my Pokes was really bad. I didn't want to change any Poke because that will tear me down, and whether I change or not he's Roaring me away each turn. Nasty, nasty tactic.

Top Bottom