• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Echoes

I have absolutely no idea. I call it luck... lol. It's not like I'm RNGing for them, you know? They just happen to be there, where I'm dickin' around :lol

I have some that are not mine (Azelf, Crobat, Shuckle, and this new Eevee), but still, I encountered a lot in a very short time.

JADS

OMG Aero said:
Oh man, did you manage to catch it? Finding a shiny in the Safari Zone is pretty much my worst nightmare.

Finding a shiny at the beginning of the game when you don't have any pokéballs :lol

Mafro

I've got a Horsea and considering levelling it up to a Kingdra after seeing Clair's one in the 8th gym. Are they worth it? The single weakness to dragon types is interesting, but their moveset looks a bit poor.

Echoes

Kingdra is fantastic IMO. With a Rain Dance he can wreck teams with his speed and fantastic dual-typing.

Metroid Killer said:
For once I'm not jealous at Echoes, since I have my own shiny Espeon ;-)
:D

I'm not sure what to do with it. I already EV-trained all of Eevee-olutions except for Flareon and Vaporeon. Vap sounds nice, but I'm nor sure. Or maybe trade it for bazillion of Pokes? :lol

Wichu

My own (was Bill's) shiny Eevee is sitting in my box. I'm probably going to trade it to Pearl and turn it into a Leafeon, as it's Jolly. It's a shame I already have a near-identical non-shiny EVed one (the only differences are that the non-shiny one is female, and has a higher Sp. Atk IV which it's never going to make use of).

MNC

Andrex said:
If it's the first time you've encountered a Mismagius, I'd just throw the Safari Ball. The first time you encounter one kind of Pokemon I've found it almost always doesn't "fit" with what you learn of that species later on, and you have a high chance of catching it...

If it doesn't run, or if it isn't the first time, I'd Bait -> Mud -> Safari Ball.

I've found Pokemon of the same species usually have a normal "tolerance". Pokeballs = -0.5, Bait = +1, and Mud = -1. You have to get a feel for what that species starting "level" is, and what its tolerance is to run away. Usually through trial and error, although there are a couple that don't fit in with the rest of that Pokemon you encounter...

Of course I may not know wtf I'm talking about. :lol Good luck though.
You may be missing out it's a shiny :lol

Okay, now for the most idiot question to ask in this thread: What exactly do natures do.

<RUN>

*got away safely!*

Masked Man

I said wow
Metroid Killer said:
For once I'm not jealous at Echoes, since I have my own shiny Espeon ;-)

I dunno how I feel about Shiny Espeon... I'm so enamored of its lavender fur that I might not be able to bring myself to go the green route. =/

Jintor

MNC said:
You may be missing out it's a shiny :lol

Okay, now for the most idiot question to ask in this thread: What exactly do natures do.

Modify base stats or base stat growth a little, generally +10% one area and -10% another... I think.

Actually running into a shiny in the safari zone wouldn't it be best to use bait(makes the pokemon harder to catch, but less likely to run away). You want it to stay for all sakes, and it's a shiny so you it doesn't matter if you have to use a lot of balls, just that it wont run away.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
One time in one of the Safari Zones, I threw bait on the first turn. The Pokemon still ran away immediately.

Ever since, I have not bothered selecting anything besides Ball or Run. Fuck the Safari Zone.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
One time in one of the Safari Zones, I threw bait on the first turn. The Pokemon still ran away immediately.

Ever since, I have not bothered selecting anything besides Ball or Run. Fuck the Safari Zone.
Yeah same here, I just hit ball. There is absolutely no strategy there at all.

Now, if the Safari Zone were to allow using "friendly traps", or things like that that took form outside the battle, it would be infinitely better, and as a bonus very different from the main game. Sort of like Honey but more developed?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Latias

Latios (need wi-fi event)
Kyogre
Groudon (need a friend's SoulSilver copy)
Rayquaza (need Groudon)
Giratina
Spiky-Ear Pichu

So, that's going to be halted for the time being.

In the meantime, trial-and-erroring my way through the E4 to respawn legendaries about twelve times brought my in-game team up to:

Typhlosion lv80
Togekiss lv80
Sudowoodo lv80
Espeon lv80
Gyarados lv80
Dragonite lv80

Dang.

Sixfortyfive said:
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Suicune
Lugia
Latios
Kyogre
Rayquaza (need Groudon)
Shit I still have all these legendaries to catch once I beat E4 round 2 and Red.

I'm just about to face Lance with a team of lvl 55-57. How hard is it gonna be?

Edit: Fuck I''m running out of healing items as well. This doesn't look too good for me, eh?

Metroid Killer said:
Shit I still have all these legendaries to catch once I beat E4 round 2 and Red.

I'm just about to face Lance with a team of lvl 55-57. How hard is it gonna be?

Edit: Fuck I''m running out of healing items as well. This doesn't look too good for me, eh?

Lance 1? Shouldn't be too tough. You can easily take down his Dragonites if you have a good ice move.

EDIT: OH, Lance 2? Uhh... Good luck. I still haven't attempted that.

Wizpig

Dechaios said:
Holy shit. Help!
I just encountered this in the safari zone...
shinymisdreavus.jpg

Now.. I'm not a Safari Zone master, wtf do I do to get this guy without making him run?
So what happened?!

I've yet to run into a shiny in gen 4 :(.

The only shiny I ever caught was a purple Drowzee in gen 2. I once ran into a shiny Electrike in Ruby. This was after I used my very last Pokeball on Latios. I think I didn't play Pokemon for a month afterwards. :lol

That is, aside from the red Gyrados and the event Pichus.

Inferno313 said:
Lance 1? Shouldn't be too tough. You can easily take down his Dragonites if you have a good ice move.

EDIT: OH, Lance 2? Uhh... Good luck. I still haven't attempted that.
wow :lol his first pokemon wrecked my entire team in no time... Needs to be at least lvl 60

DarkKyo

I'm kind of a nub when it comes to Pokemon. What's the best thing to do with this shiny? Just horde it as a collectible, or actually bring it out and EV train it later on when I know how? (I have never EV trained)

Just taken on Chuck, my god what a complete cheese-fest that fight was on both sides. First attempt his Primeape managed to get three critical hit KOs in a row with Rock Slide. Restart.

Second attempt I brought out my level 23 Togepi first, technically should have been suicide, right? Somehow I managed to completely sweep Primeape without even getting hit.

Primeape: Double Team
Togepi: Extrasensory hits
Primeape: Focus Punch charges
Togepi: Extrasensory hits and flinches
Togepi: Quick claw kicks in, Extrasensory hits and flinches again
Chuck uses Hyper Potion
Togepi: Extrasensory hits
Primeape: Focus Punch charges
Togepi: Extrasensory hits and flinches yet again
Togepi: Quick claw again, Extrasensory hits and critical hit KO

For Poliwrath I went to Bellossom, kept using Mega Drain and got it to a slither of hp where he promptly used a Hyper Potion. Got him to a quarter HP again and then he starts sweeping my entire team with 100% accuracy Hypnosis, OHKO Focus Punch and 100% critical hit ratio Surf. In the end I only had Magmar left and chipped him down to 1hp, at which point he used Surf, but Magmar hung on with 3hp left to KO it next turn.

thefil

This is a Platinum question...

I've got a Budew at max happiness (two hearts on friendship checker). It's supposed to evolve when levelled with happiness/daytime. It's 10 AM in my game, and no evolution. What's the deal? =\

Gravijah

thefil said:
This is a Platinum question...

I've got a Budew at max happiness (two hearts on friendship checker). It's supposed to evolve when levelled with happiness/daytime. It's 10 AM in my game, and no evolution. What's the deal? =\

Might be considered morning, give it a few hours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Glad my advice actually worked out for once. :lol

So... I've been thinking of picking up Platinum... wanna take another trip to Sinnoh, but I wanna play the superior version.

I also wanna replay the original Silver to see exactly what changed. Oh, and FireRed since I missed out on it. And I might as well replay Sapphire and try to finish it this time... I don't remember anything about it...

I may as well replay this entire damn series. :lol Curse you SoulSilver.

Gravijah

Andrex said:

So... I've been thinking of picking up Platinum... wanna take another trip to Sinnoh, but I wanna play the superior version.

I also wanna replay the original Silver to see exactly what changed. Oh, and FireRed since I missed out on it. And I might as well replay Sapphire and try to finish it this time... I don't remember anything about it...

Find Emowaaaaaaald. It's the best Gen 3 game!

I'm the opposite of you Andrex, I'm going totally overboard with HG squeezing out as much content as I can, but I have no intetions to pick up all the games I've missed since Gen 1. Heck, I don't think I'll get Black/White.

I guess 600 hours of pokemon every century is my limit :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I guess I'mm a glutton for Poke-punishment. :lol I'll usually put like 200 hours into each Pokemon game but I can't help but play one of each main installment. I can't wait for BW so I can further satiate my desire.

But I am trying to squeeze all I can out of SS. That way completing the BW Pokedex should be a piece of cake and I can hit the competitive ground running. :)

Gravijah said:
IT'S THE DEFINITIVE VERSION! :p

OK, why is it definitive?

Wiseblade

Andrex said:

Dude, Emerald.

Andrex said:

For starters, it has both Groudon and kyogre, the original Battle Frontier, more pokemon available...

Gravijah

Andrex said:
I guess I'mm a glutton for Poke-punishment. :lol I'll usually put like 200 hours into each Pokemon game but I can't help but play one of each main installment. I can't wait for BW so I can further satiate my desire.

But I am trying to squeeze all I can out of SS. That way completing the BW Pokedex should be a piece of cake and I can hit the competitive ground running. :)

First time the Battle Frontier was introduced, fastest battles in the series, combines the stories of Ruby and Sapphire and adds onto them, reintroduced the phone from GSC ( YEAAAAH! ) just to name a few things. Oh, and it has an absolutely broken RNG that is super easy to take advantage of.

MNC

Dechaios said:
For anyone who is interested, I did end up catching the Shiny Misdreavus. Just threw a single ball and it worked! :D
OH MY GOD YOU LUCKY SOB :lol

Grah, my girlfriend is always one step ahead of me. She's already in Kanto and I have to do E4 still, and it makes me want to stop for a while, but then I head in this topic and see all the cool mons and I just want to continue :lol It's like everything I do that's semi-special she's done already :(

Gravijah

MNC said:
OH MY GOD YOU LUCKY SOB :lol

Grah, my girlfriend is always one step ahead of me. She's already in Kanto and I have to do E4 still, and it makes me want to stop for a while, but then I head in this topic and see all the cool mons and I just want to continue :lol It's like everything I do that's semi-special she's done already :(

Don't worry, my girlfriend destroys me in Tetris. And gin rummy. Badly. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
First time the Battle Frontier was introduced, fastest battles in the series, combines the stories of Ruby and Sapphire and adds onto them, reintroduced the phone from GSC ( YEAAAAH! ) just to name a few things. Oh, and it has an absolutely broken RNG that is super easy to take advantage of.

Phone, you say...

Top Bottom