• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

MNC

RyanDG said:
My wife says thank you very, very much OMG Aero.

She's been getting on me to do that for a while now. :)
I read that as 'she's been coming on to me' somehow, and that's exactly what she needs to do after you've performed that heroic deed for her pokemon!

Well holy crap. While on my Ditto hunt to collect breeding stock I caught a pink Drowzee. Anybody want to trade something good for it? What's a pink Drowzee worth?

Nobody has a female Yanma, modest nature, any level they can part with? I have a PC full of non-modest Yanma (about 100 now) and I am crying tears of vinegar. Again, I will trade any TM to you. :(

Butane123

Scalpel Knight said:
Nobody has a female Yanma, modest nature, any level they can part with? I have a PC full of non-modest Yanma (about 100 now) and I am crying tears of vinegar. Again, I will trade any TM to you. :(
Heh, I literally did the same exact thing a few weeks ago.

Every single type of Yanma imaginable, none of the modest.

Butane123 said:
Heh, I literally did the same exact thing a few weeks ago.

Every single type of Yanma imaginable, none of the modest.
Man, that's just terrible luck. I have every nature now except for a modest, and it's killing me.

Hex

Banned
Anyone have a dawnstone?
I can trade a thunderstone, or I can trade a yawning ,a covet eevee, or a crunch totodile egg

Choopy

Neo Member
Can anyone spare me a Modest Staryu? Or is Timid better?
I've been trying to catch one forever... Still nothing.

Any help is appreciated! :lol

Hex

Banned
Choopy said:
Can anyone spare me a Modest Staryu? Or is Timid better?
I've been trying to catch one forever... Still nothing.

Any help is appreciated! :lol

I can give you a modest
0475 0119 1993

ReiGun

After not playing for a few weeks, I've finally hopped back on the PokeWagon. Just getting ready to battle the E4, and I've finally decided the team I intend to end the game with: Togekiss, Lapras, Alakazam (currently Kadabra), Magmar, Dragonite (currently Dragonair), and Magnezone, with the occasional appearance of HM slave Kangaskhan. Feels good man. :D

Anyone care to help me out by evolving my Kadabra to Alakazam? I'd appreciate it. 1763-4865-1342.

I'm surprised how much trouble people have getting pokemon with the right natures. I just spent a couple of hours catching dittos and now i can have whatever nature i want.

I know it's not the most fun couple of hours but after that you save a shit load of time.

Pietepiet said:
Any of you guys happen to have a spare Thick Club? I can't find any on wild Cubone's and it's driving me crazy :(

I'm not 100% sure but i think if you catch pokemon with the ability compoundeyes (butterfree) they have a much higher chance of holding an item.

Thats how i got my dragon scale form a wild horsea. You may have to check but i think that was the ability.

Beat the Elite Four on the weekend, played a LOT of Voltorb flip (racked up about 24,000 coins) and got addicted to the Battle Factory. It's sometimes broken as hell (they sometimes put you up against trainers you have no way of countering with the selections they give you), but it's a lot of fun. Problem is, you only get 5BP a pop when you hit a streak of 7.

5BP?

Anyone know of a faster way to grind for BP?

OMG Aero

AdventureRacing said:
I'm not 100% sure but i think if you catch pokemon with the ability compoundeyes (butterfree) they have a much higher chance of holding an item.

Thats how i got my dragon scale form a wild horsea. You may have to check but i think that was the ability.
Yeah, when I was getting items in Platinum I did the following:
Have the first Pokemon in your team as a Pokemon with Compoundeyes and let them faint in battle (Their ability is still active when fainted and I think they have to be first in the party for it to work so if they are fainted it lets you use their effect while not using them in battle), then have your second Pokemon as a Banette with frisk as it's ability and thief.
When you start a battle if the opponent has an item it will say "Banette frisked the enemy and found ???" use thief and then run, if it doesn't say this just run anyway as the Pokemon doesn't have anything.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nintendo should release the Platinum patch for My Pokémon Ranch on the West, along with a new HG/SS patch.

I want to put all my Pokémon on my SS version, but I want my Mew too :/

Ashenor

Hi,

I have never played a Pokemon game but have always been interested in checking one out.

I am 35 .... So a older gamer, i like most rpg games, and the building aspect always looked indepth.

So at my age and this late in the game series is it worth checking out and if so anything i should know going in?

Thanks

Harpuia

Anyone got an Aerodactyl I can have? Also, looking for TMs Substitute and Earthquake. I got like only Treeckos, and Charmanders. FC: 4211-6206-9635. PM me if you got any of those up for trade.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ashenor said:
Hi,

I have never played a Pokemon game but have always been interested in checking one out.

I am 35 .... So a older gamer, i like most rpg games, and the building aspect always looked indepth.

So at my age and this late in the game series is it worth checking out and if so anything i should know going in?

Thanks
Yes, it is worth it, and you should know that there's no way back.

parasight

Anyone have a Glameow or Purugly, for Pokedex filling? I've got all starters and pretty much every other pokemon. A bunch of stuff in general.

Styles

ReiGun said:
After not playing for a few weeks, I've finally hopped back on the PokeWagon. Just getting ready to battle the E4, and I've finally decided the team I intend to end the game with: Togekiss, Lapras, Alakazam (currently Kadabra), Magmar, Dragonite (currently Dragonair), and Magnezone, with the occasional appearance of HM slave Kangaskhan. Feels good man. :D

Anyone care to help me out by evolving my Kadabra to Alakazam? I'd appreciate it. 1763-4865-1342.

I can right now if you haven't already done so. I'll be on once I get your reply.
FC: 3782 1696 6690

vectorman06 said:
Yes, FC 5371 3072 5434

Okay, I'm standing by, and in case you didn't see it my previous post has my FC.

Edit: Hmm, I'm not seeing you.

Edit 2: Okay, I'm going to back out and double check your FC. Have you been trying to connect to me?

Ashenor said:
Hi,

Thanks
It's worth checking out. You should know going in that if you plan to build a team and min-max your pokemon, you need to do your research before you do. HOWEVER, your in-game team isn't all that important, so have fun.

My recommendation:

- Play through like a n00b on your first playthrough and experiment with different movesets, monsters and strategies.

- The moves a monster learns by level up are not the only moves available to it.

- Remember that your HMs can be used over and over, but most of them (apart from Surf and Waterfall) are completely useless for battle and should be relegated to what we term HM slaves.

- Hoard your TMs like they were made of gold. Unlike TMs, they're one-use-only and a lot of the time, you only ever get ONE, so don't give them to the wrong pokemon. You can breed these moves onto pokemon, but only under certain conditions (consult a breeding guide)

- The stat-reducing berries are your best friends. Start growing them as soon as you get them.

- Most of the min-maxing you shouldn't do until the endgame (because you won't get some of the items that facilitate it until much later) and that is probably a good 50 - 60 hours away for you.

- Each game has a (small) set of exclusive monsters not available in the other version. Get the one that has the exlcusive monsters you like the look of.

- The use of legendary pokemon in a competitive sense is considered poor form. Same with some overpowered monsters.

- Read up on various strategies, tips, tricks, training regimens etc. on Smogon and Serebii

Ashenor

Cool thanks for the reply.

I liked the featured Gold guy a bit better, but thats based on looks only.

Being a total n00b is the guide something i should opt for?

On a side note, anyone trade in there dsi for a xl? Still on the fence about it but for $99 with trade in at gamestop its tempting.

How is the step think, is a just a gimmick or does it work well with the game.

Thanks again for the tips so far.

DragonGirl said:
Okay, I'm standing by, and in case you didn't see it my previous post has my FC.

Edit: Hmm, I'm not seeing you.

Edit 2: Okay, I'm going to back out and double check your FC. Have you been trying to connect to me?

Just saw your fc, hold on.

Nayishiki

parasight said:
Anyone have a Glameow or Purugly, for Pokedex filling? I've got all starters and pretty much every other pokemon. A bunch of stuff in general.

I can give you a Glameow. My FC is 3653 2713 6337.

Hex

Banned
Ashenor said:

On a side note, anyone trade in there dsi for a xl? Still on the fence about it but for $99 with trade in at gamestop its tempting.

I personally would not / will not do it with the DS3D coming.

Ashenor said:

You can catch both of the boxart legendaries in either game (one at level 45, one at level 70), so I wouldn't worry about that.

The guide would probably be helpful if you want to get serious about competitive battling or suffer from OCD about having to do everything in an area before moving on. If you don't have a guide, you'll often miss stuff the first time through (don't worry, you can always come back).

The basic game mechanics are pretty intuitive, though, so as long as you're not wasting your TMs or teaching Cut to your starter, you'll be fine.

Like I said though, don't worry about min-maxing when you're playing through the story. EVs, IVs, Natures, egg moves etc. won't come into play until the endgame, by which time you'll be ditching your in-game team and breeding your competitive team from scratch and have all the tricks and items to make the grind go faster.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
viciouskillersquirrel said:
You can catch both of the boxart legendaries in either game (one at level 45, one at level 70), so I wouldn't worry about that.

The guide would probably be helpful if you want to get serious about competitive battling or suffer from OCD about having to do everything in an area before moving on. If you don't have a guide, you'll often miss stuff the first time through (don't worry, you can always come back).

The basic game mechanics are pretty intuitive, though, so as long as you're not wasting your TMs or teaching Cut to your starter, you'll be fine.

Like I said though, don't worry about min-maxing when you're playing through the story. EVs, IVs, Natures, egg moves etc. won't come into play until the endgame, by which time you'll be ditching your in-game team and breeding your competitive team from scratch and have all the tricks and items to make the grind go faster.

I wouldn't even mention anything in that last paragraph until the poor guy is at least halfway through the game. :lol Sometimes it's best to be innocent and enjoy the game best you can.

Ashenor

Ah ok good to know you can get both exclusives then.

Any other difference in Silver or Gold then?

And any advice on which starter to use?

Thanks =)

^^^^

No other version differences other than exclusives and encounter rates.

As for your starter....

I think Chikorita is the hardest one to raise because it puts you at a disadvantage for the first two gyms and its level-up moves aren't that good later on. It has a much deeper movepool available to it via breeding though.

Cyndaquil is powerful, puts you at an advantage in the early game and is one of the few fire types available in Johto, but also has the shallowest move pool of all three starters.

Totodile is a good all-rounder, but it's another water type in a game with a glut of them. It's also overshadowed in many ways by a similar (in terms of stats and movesets) pokemon called Gyarados.

Andrex said:
I wouldn't even mention anything in that last paragraph until the poor guy is at least halfway through the game. :lol Sometimes it's best to be innocent and enjoy the game best you can.
:lol

I'm telling him not to worry about it because if he buys the game and sees them mentioned in this thread, he'll get curious, fall down the rabbit hole and ragequit when he sees how tedious it is prior to the endgame. Hell, I'm not even at that point yet and I'm 50 hours or so in (mind you I am grinding for BP at the moment, so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment).

Top Bottom