• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blu_LED said:
Is there anyway to connect a new PokeWalker to my cart, without deleting the old PokeWalker's data?

You mean, if you got the old Pokewalker working again? Or just the data in general?

If it's the latter I believe the manual has instructions on setting up a new Pokewalker for your file.

randomwab

Weird question, I bought a copy of SoulSilver today, and when I asked if they had any copies of either HG or SS, the guy said "We have both, you should get SoulSilver though, it's the better of the two". I didn't ask him, but I'm wonder now.....what difference is there between the two, besides Pokemon?

randomwab said:
Weird question, I bought a copy of SoulSilver today, and when I asked if they had any copies of either HG or SS, the guy said "We have both, you should get SoulSilver though, it's the better of the two". I didn't ask him, but I'm wonder now.....what difference is there between the two, besides Pokemon?

The pokemon specificity is the only difference.

Someone asked for the differences not even 20 posts ago

Hex said:
Nothing bad happens if I delete a wonder card right?
I won't lose the path or the pokemon?

Path, maybe. Pokemon, no. I just deleted Jirachi (kept Yellow Forest and Winner's Path).

Decent IV's (from Metalkid, so who knows how accurate it is), not the best nature though. Took a lot of Dusk Balls: needed to Ether Sleep Powder.

Latios - #381 (Rash): 13 - 14 / 29 / 26 / 24 / 28 / 25, 27

Lone_Prodigy said:
Path, maybe. Pokemon, no. I just deleted Jirachi (kept Yellow Forest and Winner's Path).

Decent IV's (from Metalkid, so who knows how accurate it is), not the best nature though. Took a lot of Dusk Balls: needed to Ether Sleep Powder.

Latios - #381 (Rash): 13 - 14 / 29 / 26 / 24 / 28 / 25, 27

If you're catching a Lati@s, who actually has a set Gender, you'd want the Love Balls, since they have a x8 capture rate on any Pokemon of the opposite gender.

That, or a Master Ball.

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
I have no idea where my Pokewalker is. I am depressed.
Same here. :lol Went looking everywhere for that thing yesterday. Needs some kind of key-finding-type device.

*clap clap*
*beep beep*

parasight

Woohoo! After two days of SR, I caught Shiny Latios! I pretty much did it for about 6 hours in total. Tried hard to catch it in a Luxury/Quick/Timer Ball but eventually it was getting dangerously close to using Struggle, so I had to use the Master Ball.

381.png

Nature: Naive
IVs:
HP - 18
ATK - 31
DEF - 8
SP ATK - 31
SP DEF - 20
SPD - 23

Not terrible. Better than my Shiny Blissey who's got 31 IV in Speed :lol

Just my second personally caught shiny. My first being Chansey during a swarm trying to get Lucky Eggs.

Pureauthor said:
If you're catching a Lati@s, who actually has a set Gender, you'd want the Love Balls, since they have a x8 capture rate on any Pokemon of the opposite gender.

That, or a Master Ball.

I thought your Pokemon had to be the same species?

Catch rate: 8× if used on a Pokémon of the same species as, but opposite gender of, the player's Pokémon
1× otherwise

Saving my Master Ball for Rayquaza since I figure he'll be harder to catch, being level 50 and all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Rayquaza is the hardest legendary to catch because he'll eventually KO himself from Outrage confusion if you're not careful. Only straightforward way around that is a Skill Swap from an Own Tempo Smeargle. :3

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
Rayquaza is the hardest legendary to catch because he'll eventually KO himself from Outrage confusion if you're not careful. Only straightforward way around that is a Skill Swap from an Own Tempo Smeargle. :3

Speaking of hard to catch legendaries, go to hell FRLG Mewtwo.

Sixfortyfive

Mewtwo's starting moveset is such a joke in HGSS by comparison. Cerulean Cave also should have had its classic music.

Gamefreak I am disappoint.

I wish I hadnt traded my brother my master ball (or that I had an easy way to trade with myself so that I could access my other master balls) cause Kyogre keeps decided to knock itself out. I go through 50+ ultra balls.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Mewtwo's starting moveset is such a joke in HGSS by comparison. Cerulean Cave also should have had its classic music.

Gamefreak I am disappoint.

At least they made them available. GSC had no Cerulean Cave nor Mewtwo.

Stage On

Blu_LED said:
My PokeWalker went through the wash today. It broken. I had over 1,000,000 steps on that thing.

My brother has one too that he never uses. Is there a way I could get his working with my cart? Would it transfer over all my stats too? What about the Pokemon that was on my PokeWalker?

I've had this happen to me.

What you need to do is unscrew the back cover then take out the battery and put the open pokewalker and the battery in some dry rice overnight.

The rice will absorb any excess mosture left in the pokewalker. Pop the battery back in after it drys out and it should work fine.

Thagomizer said:
Since that post, I've been using a solver, and have earned ~900 coins.

...yeah, fuck this shit.

Really? I use this one
and it seems to work most of the time. Spent about 30 minutes with it (the most time consuming is putting things in at the beginning of each round) and I bought the 2100 Pokemon and still have over 8000 left.

It will fail you, but it's gotten me up to lvl 7 (I think this is the highest as I won and it still said lvl 7) a couple times and won me like 1200-1500 coins at a time.

Quick question though: I play this game off and on, setting it down and doing something else and when I come back I sometimes forget what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there a 'questlog' or anything of the sort that will help me find my bearings? I usually just have to call people until someone drops a hint of what I should be doing.

Sixfortyfive

Even with a solver, Voltorb Flip is still way more of a crap shoot than the Battle Frontier. Not even joking.

flyinpiranha said:
Is there a 'questlog' or anything of the sort that will help me find my bearings?
Not really. Yeah, it kinda blows. Fortunately this particular game is pretty linear.

Just uploaded a bunch of match vids to my Youtube page. This match is probably the best I've had in a while, save for that boneheaded first turn.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
flyinpiranha said:
Really? I use this one
and it seems to work most of the time. Spent about 30 minutes with it (the most time consuming is putting things in at the beginning of each round) and I bought the 2100 Pokemon and still have over 8000 left.

It will fail you, but it's gotten me up to lvl 7 (I think this is the highest as I won and it still said lvl 7) a couple times and won me like 1200-1500 coins at a time.

Quick question though: I play this game off and on, setting it down and doing something else and when I come back I sometimes forget what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there a 'questlog' or anything of the sort that will help me find my bearings? I usually just have to call people until someone drops a hint of what I should be doing.

There should be an item in your Key Items pocket called Journal that'll tell you what you've been up to.

Edit- I was mistaken, that's just DPPt.

Sagitario

Quick question: if I kill a legendary [roaming or/and static], it will appear again if I beat Lance, right?
Does that have a limit [like, you can only "revive" them once or twice]? Will it reset the nature of the PKMN?

You can check your badges, talk to people, and check the map.

Reminds me of when I borrowed Diamond from the library and had no idea what was going on (had a weird party and when I used the level 40 Azumarill he disobeyed).

barnone

What are some of your favorite places to grind levels on Pearl/SS? Right now I'm grinding against the dual Gyrados guy on the beach by Sunyshore or w/e in Pearl. Any other good spots? Is the Elite Four my best bet?

Mush

In terms of Sinnoh games, is Platinum the way to go? Was thinking of picking one up on pay-day. I've already played through it once via emulator, but...

This is a little off topic, but I thought I could post it here.

I've been replaying FireRed recently and I decided to play the game with Pokemon who I honestly have never used and are for the most part not especially good. So far my team is this:

pkfrlg012.png
pkfrlg053.png
pkfrlg095.png
pkfrlg122.png

I thinking about rounding out the team with two of the following - Seaking, Tentacruel, Arbok, Weezing, or Tangela. Thoughts? Has anyone done something like this before?

Mush

Since I've never played FR/LG, is it possible to get an Eevee? Either one of Flareon, Jolteon or Vaporeon would round out your team nicely.

Mush said:
Since I've never played FR/LG, is it possible to get an Eevee? Either one of Flareon, Jolteon or Vaporeon would round out your team nicely.

Bahh, but see that defeats the purpose. They are too overused. Will make the game too easy.

See Persian will be my electric Pokemon with Thunderbolt, with Mr. Mime possibly being a backup with Thunder (maybe move tutor him Thunderpunch from Emerald). As for a fire type, that I'm working on. If I added a Weezing I could get him Fire Blast. But then again I can cover Ice, and Bug with rock move from Onix and Grass with my water type with an Ice Beam.

See my current idea so far is this:

pkfrlg012.png

Psychic, Solarbeam, Sunny Day, Silver Wind

pkfrlg053.png

Return, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Toxic

pkfrlg095.png

Rock Slide, Earthquake, Iron Tail, Screech/Sandstorm

pkfrlg122.png

Psychic, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Substitute

Sixfortyfive

Mush said:
In terms of Sinnoh games, is Platinum the way to go? Was thinking of picking one up on pay-day. I've already played through it once via emulator, but...
A thousand times yes.

Sixfortyfive

Just two more Battle Tower ribbons to go.....

I am so close to "100%-ing" this game, at least in terms of completing explicitly laid-out challenges.

Gym Leader rematches are the best way to grind IMO. Unlimited at certain times (all day on the weekends) and decent cash. The Elite 4 + Lance are annoying since you can't heal in between and the jump from the first to Lance level-wise can kill you. In terms of wild Pokes, I find Mt. Silver to be the best (outside the Pokecenter or just inside the mountain). Stick a Lucky Egg on your Poke when he hits around Level 40 and watch him get to 50 in a hurry.

I did an all-Bug playthrough in FireRed before. Gary's Arcanine and Blaine were crazy. Parasect, Butterfree, Beedrill, Scyther, Venomoth, HM slave.

Sixfortyfive

Level grinding:

DP: Elite Four is probably your best bet.
Plat: Elite Four round 2, Battleground Cafe (Gym Leaders), Rival (after he reaches lv85 anyway)
HGSS: Elite Four round 2 (if you can make it through without any trouble), Blue (Saffron City rematch)

Wild Pokemon are always a waste of time when it comes to grinding. They don't give out nearly as much EXP.

So I decided to take a break from battling and gave the Pokeathlon a try. Hurdle Dash is pretty fun. :D

Is it known exactly how the performance stars work? I'm assuming 5 big stars > 5 normal stars but does that mean with the proper apri-juice, I can boost 5 normal stars into 5 big stars? All I've been able to find with a quick Google search is that nature apparently plays a role?

Sixfortyfive

Big stars / little stars probably correspond to helping/hindering natures. I haven't messed around with the stat side of that stuff yet. I'll probably experiment with that and some of the master rank challenges after I finish some other singleplayer stuff now that I've got the Battle Frontier out of the way. Not that you can ever truly be finished with the Battle Frontier...

Sixfortyfive said:
Big stars / little stars probably correspond to helping/hindering natures. I haven't messed around with the stat side of that stuff yet. I'll probably experiment with that and some of the master rank challenges after I finish some other singleplayer stuff now that I've got the Battle Frontier out of the way. Not that you can ever truly be finished with the Battle Frontier...
:lol of course not

Do you know if you have to beat all the master rank challenges for the Pokeathlon trainer star? If it's anything like the contests, I'm guessing yes.

Sixfortyfive

You have to beat certain records for every event, but not on the highest difficulty. The exact requirements are probably on Bulbapedia somewhere.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I just started my copy of SoulSilver which I've had since March and I'm trying to put together my team.

I don't like using popular Pokemon (ie. Skarmory). Can someone make suggestions as to what would be a good team.

If it helps, I chose the water Pokemon as my starter.

MemoirsofMimi said:
I just started my copy of SoulSilver which I've had since March and I'm trying to put together my team.

I don't like using popular Pokemon (ie. Skarmory). Can someone make suggestions as to what would be a good team.

Pretty much anything works for the ingame story. Choose what you like but try to diversify a bit (i.e. don't use like 5 Water types or something). Don't bother with competitive stat raising until after you've beaten the story.

Rocksteady33

MemoirsofMimi said:

I don't like using the popular ones either really. Here's what I would suggest (not sure who you started with but I would ditch them anyway)

dpmfa101.png
dpmfa203.png
dpmfa192.png
dpmfa215.png
dpmfa207.png
dpmfa222.png

Electric, Normal, Psychic, Grass, Dark, Ice, Ground, Flying, Water, Rock

All you're really missing is Fire and Poison which aren't that necessary to a team.

Anyone want to have a quick battle? I'm still working on my team, so it's going to be rough in some spots, but I want to test it out.

4506-7753-0767-3000

Top Bottom