• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Thagomizer said:
Anyone want to have a quick battle? I'm still working on my team, so it's going to be rough in some spots, but I want to test it out.

4506-7753-0767-3000
If you're still around, I'm up for a game. Specify any rules you want to use.

Also, game friend codes are 12 digits long. It looks like you copied your system friend code instead.

Sixfortyfive said:
If you're still around, I'm up for a game. Specify any rules you want to use.

Also, game friend codes are 12 digits long. It looks like you copied your system friend code instead.

God dammnit Nintendo's online sucks. It's really like they don't want people to play online and made is as difficult as possible without making it obvious -_-

OU and below, no OHKO, single lv. 100. Aside from that, I don't really care; this team is still in progress, 30's and 40's, and most don't have their final movesets yet. I expect to be creamed quite soundly.

3052 2040 7294

Sixfortyfive

4082-7707-6833

I'll be online as soon as you post your FC. It can be found in your Pal Pad. You have to sign online once to retrieve it if you haven't already done so.

EDIT: I'll be online shortly. Just realized that I actually have to adjust a couple settings myself.

Sixfortyfive said:
4082-7707-6833

I'll be online as soon as you post your FC. It can be found in your Pal Pad. You have to sign online once to retrieve it if you haven't already done so.

EDIT: I'll be online shortly. Just realized that I actually have to adjust a couple settings myself.

Good match.

Goddamn your jolteon is annoying :lol

At least I was able to kill the Absol...

Sixfortyfive

Yeah, don't let that Jolteon set up on you. Ever. He's the glue that holds the rest of the team together. Two of its teammates are only really effective if he can pass a Wish or Sub to them.

Sitrus Berry is an unusual item choice! I'd go with Leftovers instead on something that bulky. If you expect something to be able to last at least 4 turns (which that thing definitely can), then Leftovers is the superior choice. Unless you want to keep the other guy guessing about his item for a little bit.

I am guessing that Quick Attack is a placeholder. :p

Mush

Sixfortyfive said:
Hey, don't be hatin' on QA.

Blaziken
4HP/252ATK/252SPE
Adamant/Life Orb

Swords Dance
Flare Blitz
Superpower
Quick Attack

No wonder UU is my favourite tier <3

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, don't let that Jolteon set up on you. Ever. He's the glue that holds the rest of the team together. Two of its teammates are only really effective if he can pass a Wish or Sub to them.

Sitrus Berry is an unusual item choice! I'd go with Leftovers instead on something that bulky. If you expect something to be able to last at least 4 turns (which that thing definitely can), then Leftovers is the superior choice. Unless you want to keep the other guy guessing about his item for a little bit.

Like I said, I'm not done with that team, and some members are probably getting taken out (Nidoking is only there because I <3 Nidoking; always been one of my favorites, and Feraligatr because Gyarados is boring and I'm still training my Dragonair)

I don't even have a Leftovers yet; I'm still halfway though the Kanto leaders.

The Jolteon's definitely the work in progress. Thunder, shock, quick attack, sand attack, rocking a choice scarf. Not a lot I could do in that battle :lol

Pretty much the only thing thats final is the Scizor and maybe the Gengar. Right now, it has Curse, which is poop in real human battles, but I'm not sure what to put on it in it's place.

Sixfortyfive

Mush said:
Have you caught/battled Snorlax at Diglett's Cave? He has one.
I think there's only a ~50% chance that it carries Leftovers.

You can abuse it for duplicates, though. Start the battle, use Thief to steal Leftovers, run or KO Snorlax, defeat Lance again to respawn it.

Sixfortyfive said:

You can abuse it for duplicates, though. Start the battle, use Thief to steal Leftovers, run or KO Snorlax, defeat Lance again to respawn it.

I actually didn't know this trick. Now, if only it could be done for the game-corner only TMs...

I know you can use a solver, but that's still a lot of time punching numbers into a glorifed Excel sheet

Mush

Sixfortyfive said:
You sure? After about three hours of soft-resetting I don't think I encountered one with out Leftys.

Thagomizer: If you give a me a few hours I can give you some Leftovers if you want.

Also, what would you guys think of this Dragonite (let's just assume max stats for the moment):

Leftovers or a Life Orb

Extremespeed
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Roost

The idea is to throw down a Meteor right off the bat, then just spam Quake and Speed, roosting when necessary. She'll have Light Clay Reflect+ Light Screen support from a Bronzong.

I'm also considering using her as a pseudo-Support:

X-Speed
Roost
Thunder Wave
Ice Beam/ Aqua Tail

Mush: Thanks for the offer, but I really don't want you to waste several hours of your own time to get me an item.

upandaway

Thagomizer said:
I actually didn't know this trick. Now, if only it could be done for the game-corner only TMs...

I know you can use a solver, but that's still a lot of time punching numbers into a glorifed Excel sheet
The solvers are also bullshit. Do not use. It's not recommended.

I got Swords Dance. It was painful.

I haven't played Voltorb Flip in months but I still have like 14k in points left. Though I'm sure having access to unlimited Ice Beams, Thunderbolts, etc from Emerald helps a bit. :D

I'm creeping closer to that Pokeathlon star. Got half of the potential trophy thingys but Pennant Capture and Disc Catch are probably going to take a while.

Little Green Yoda said:
I'm creeping closer to that Pokeathlon star. Got half of the potential trophy thingys but Pennant Capture and Disc Catch are probably going to take a while.
Pennant Capture is about getting the right amount of luck so that none of the competitors screw you over and grab a flag right in front of you. Defintely the hardest discipline to get a star in. Disc Catch should be easy though, just take hold of the 3 point area (5 point is too risky) and grab the discs as soon as possible.

Umbreon leads with Synchronize, Adamant nature (don't ask)
Throw Master Ball at Rayquaza
Check IV's

I do this 7 times with no Adamant nature and lame IV's until I finally get an Adamant. 50% my arse.

Rayquaza - #384 (Adamant): 28 - 29 / 31 / 21 / 11, 13 / 2 / 29

PatzCU

Quick question:

I've been itching to play a Pokemon game lately. I haven't played any Pokemon games since Red/Blue on the original gameboy. What would you guys recommend I pick up between Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver?

This will unfortunately be mostly a solo experience. I don't plan on being competitive. Just going through the game, collecting Pokemon, and leveling them up. Also, I doubt I would ever touch the Pokewalker thing. I just want to get myself warmed up for Black/White.

I'm kind of leaning towards just getting Platinum since it is cheaper. I figured I would ask in this thread since it is far more active. Thanks!

Sixfortyfive

It doesn't really matter either way.

- Gold/Silver would be a better nostalgia trip if the last game you played was Red/Blue.
- Platinum has a slightly better overworld imo. Much better selection of early game Pokemon.
- Both games have some small features that the other lacks, which makes frequently jumping back and forth between the two like I'm doing now really aggravating at times. :p

As a rule, every new Pokemon game is slightly better than the one before it, but if you're not going to touch the competitive aspect then the few important features that HGSS introduced (new tutors, IV passing through power items, etc.) are not particularly relevant.

Does the roaming Latios in Silver reset like the stationary Legends after you beat the Elite Four? The one the game pooped out at me has absolutely shit stats (The highest IV is 21 in Attack, and Speed and Sp. Attack are both 1, everything else is in the low teens)

Sixfortyfive

Yeah, you have to KO it and then beat the Elite Four. It will respawn with new stats.

Anyway, seeing as how I'm just about "100% done" with the singleplayer aspect (as close as you can probably get to that in a Pokemon game anyway), I'm more willing and available to fulfill any trade requests people might need. That 750+ BP isn't going to spend itself. Tons of TMs I'll probably never use as well.

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, you have to KO it and then beat the Elite Four. It will respawn with new stats.

Anyway, seeing as how I'm just about "100% done" with the singleplayer aspect (as close as you can probably get to that in a Pokemon game anyway), I'm more willing and available to fulfill any trade requests people might need. That 750+ BP isn't going to spend itself. Tons of TMs I'll probably never use as well.

Can you reserve an Earthquake for me?

Sixfortyfive

*checks HG bag*
*checks Pt bag*

I'm actually out of those!

Though I could provide a Smeargle with it or perhaps a lv90+ Pickup Pachirisu? :3

Sixfortyfive said:
*checks HG bag*
*checks Pt bag*

I'm actually out of those!

Though I could provide a Smeargle with it or perhaps a lv90+ Pickup Pachirisu? :3

Can't you buy them at the Frontier?

The Pachirisu would be great, through. Thanks a bunch!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone have one or two Lucky Eggs? I somehow lost the one I had and leveling up these Pokemon I just caught from the Safari Zone is a bit of a pain...

Sixfortyfive

Thagomizer said:
Can't you buy them at the Frontier?

The Pachirisu would be great, through. Thanks a bunch!
The only way to get more TM26s is via Pickup. In every game.

Are you two around for trades right now?

4082-7707-6833

I also have an incredible idea for a doubles gimmick team that I might ask you guys to test later. :3

^Nope
Andrex said:
Anyone have one or two Lucky Eggs? I somehow lost the one I had and leveling up these Pokemon I just caught from the Safari Zone is a bit of a pain...
I got 20 so you can defintely get 2 :)

kyo_daikun said:
Sounds like they're giving away a manaphy in a wifi event in japan after ash's pikachu, handy seeing as I need another
Good thing I decided to check if there were any wifi events going on. Got the Pikachu at the last moment! And that Manaphy will be cool to get.

The wifi events(at least for Japan) have been awesome and plentiful and very practical for importers.

upandaway

Phew, beat Red. I got a little sidetracked because of the Pokeathlon (and EBA).

I'm done with the game for a few years. Big test coming up and by the time I'm done with that B&W will be in my house.

Mush said:
If it's not tooooo much trouble MK I wouldn't mind grabbing a Lucky Egg as well :3

3739-3938-0897
Of course not!

My FC is 5156 4291 4002

I'll get online now as well. Though I'll need your fc again Andrex

Edit: I see you Mush, but it says you are on standby.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Of course not!

My FC is 5156 4291 4002

I'll get online now as well. Though I'll need your fc again Andrex

You didn't keep my number? </3

0560 - 9071 - 3586

You need any items or anything?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thanks for the Lucky Eggs and the Drapion! (Had one already but the Japanese name is cooler...) Also thanks for letting me get rid of some of my Skarmories. :p Those two have Brave Bird and some other egg move that required chain breeding, if you care. XD

Top Bottom