• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

xSL4INx

Does anyone have the in-game Kyogre I could borrow for a little bit this afternoon? Rayquaza is the only legendary I still need to catch, and can return the favor by letting them borrow Groudon if needed.

Oxx

Due to Dragon Quest hogging my DS it had been weeks since I last synched my Pokewalker data.

Almost 9000 watts to add.

Axion22

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
My PokeWalker battery has died. I am kinda freaking out about missing watts.

Getting a new one's going to wipe away all your accrued watts, too. Hope you either weren't very far or have everything unlocked!

OMG Aero

Axion22 said:
Getting a new one's going to wipe away all your accrued watts, too. Hope you either weren't very far or have everything unlocked!
I'm pretty sure the game stores that data on the cart. The only things you lose when the battery dies or if the Pokewalker breaks are any Pokemon or items found and watts and steps gained since the last sync.

Axion22

OMG Aero said:
I'm pretty sure the game stores that data on the cart. The only things you lose when the battery dies or if the Pokewalker breaks are any Pokemon or items found and watts and steps gained since the last sync.

The game stores knows which Pokemon is out and what routes you have unlocked, but that's it. You can manually return a Pokemon that is out for a stroll w/o the walker, of course losing any data since your last sync. It doesn't store your watts. That is my understanding for lost or broken walkers, maybe it's different if you just replace the battery? Now I'm unsure.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The DS card keeps count of how many watts you've accumulated to date. I am almost positive that if you lose or break your Pokewalker, the only things you'll lose are whatever you've acquired since the last sync.

Axion22 said:
Well if you've got nothing better to do, sure I'll take a chikorita! :D
xSL4INx said:
Does anyone have the in-game Kyogre I could borrow for a little bit this afternoon? Rayquaza is the only legendary I still need to catch, and can return the favor by letting them borrow Groudon if needed.
I can fulfill both of these requests. It would probably be best if you shoot me a PM noting when you're available.

I am also willing to accept random breeding/capture requests at this point. I pretty much have nothing else to do in this game now except moar battling.

Sixfortyfive said:
Shiny Leaf locations are dependent on natures, I think. Look it up on Serebii. It's the easiest star to get.

I'm using the guide so I know I'm on the right route. But Mew keeps getting angry at me. :lol

Maybe the clock plays a role. I got my first leaf earlier in the day but both times I've tried at night have been fruitless.

On another note, I was messing around and noticed that you black out after all your Pokemon faint. I thought it was changed to "white out" a while back?

Sixfortyfive

They changed it back to that recently. Yeah I don't get it either.

Wooo, organizing boxes. A little more and I'm just going to start tossing duplicate legendaries at this rate. B&W needs moar PC space!

Rocksteady33

So doing this "trying to beat the game with the worst team possible" is pretty god damn difficult just when you hit the Elite Four. I can't even get past the the first one (playing LeafGreen FYI)

pkfrlg012.png

Psychic, Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Sleep Powder

pkfrlg053.png

Thunderbolt, Bite, Return, Toxic

pkfrlg095.png

Earthquake, Rock Slide, Iron Tail, Screech

pkfrlg122.png

Psychic, Substitute, Calm Mind, Magical Leaf

pkfrlg119.png

Surf, Rain Dance, Ice Beam, Horn Attack

pkfrlg110.png

Flamethrower, Sludge, Explosion, Haze

Literally cannot win.

Sixfortyfive

So are you at Elite Four round 1 or round 2?

'Cause if you're having that much trouble with the first encounter you're never beating the rematch.

The difficulty spike in FRLG was insane. I wonder how I'd fare with a team that was actually planned out in advance now.

Firestorm

What are you having trouble with? It doesn't look like you should have much trouble with abusing sleep + switch to sub + calm minds or explosion + revives.

Firestorm

xSL4INx said:
So i don't suppose anyone is attending Worlds this year? They're giving away a Crobat in a cherish ball holding a Life Orb :(
I know a bunch of people attending. Don't know if they'll pick up the Crobat. I think most of them didn't bother with the shiny Eevee...

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:
So many people to root for today at World's. Mah boi Jesus has got this.

I assume you've got skarm's back?
fuck yeah i do
CANADA
CANADA
CANADA

But will also root for all the other Smogonites <3

xSL4INx

You free 645? Can I get Kyogre from you for a little bit to get Rayquaza? Anything you need in return for letting me borrow it?

Sixfortyfive

Oh god the official site takes forever to update. I want to see exactly how everyone did.

xSL4INx said:
You free 645? Can I get Kyogre from you for a little bit to get Rayquaza? Anything you need in return for letting me borrow it?
I can do this tonight if you're around.

Hey im new to the pokemon games but im loving HeartGold

Can anyone tell me what they think of my team?

Ampharos
Growithe
Pidgeotto
Drowzee
Red Gyarados
Sudowoodo

Sixfortyfive

The worlds top 8 have been decided.

Every quarterfinal is Japan vs Smogon. Get hype.

TheVampire said:
Hey im new to the pokemon games but im loving HeartGold

Can anyone tell me what they think of my team?

Ampharos
Growithe
Pidgeotto
Drowzee
Red Gyarados
Sudowoodo
That's a singleplayer quest team right? Looks good. Has the type coverage to cover what you need, I think.

Make sure to evolve Growlithe only after learning its strongest moves. Stone evolutions are weird like that.

OMG Aero

xSL4INx said:
So i don't suppose anyone is attending Worlds this year? They're giving away a Crobat in a cherish ball holding a Life Orb :(
What's so special about it? Just the fact that it comes in a cherish ball?

Sixfortyfive

So, Ray Rizzo (BlueCookies) is the first ever American Pokemon world champ. That's pretty neat.

Next year I'm taking VGC serious enough to be competitive. I totally thought it would burn me out on the game but I honestly can't wait for the '11 rules to be announced. Going to hit the ground running! :3

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade, man, you gotta compete next year. We need a UK champ who isn't careless enough to get DQ'd at worlds for having 512 EVs! (Wasn't exactly his fault and he has every reason to be upset about it, though.)

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Wiseblade, man, you gotta compete next year. We need a UK champ who isn't careless enough to get DQ'd at worlds for having 512 EVs! (Wasn't exactly his fault and he has every reason to be upset about it, though.)
How was it not his fault? Did someone trade him the Pokemon?

Sixfortyfive

Mush said:
How wasn't it his fault?
He was running short on time and handed some of his team off to an acquaintance on the Smogon forums for EV training. But instead of EV training them legitimately, this guy cut some corners and was evidently careless about it.

Yeah, it was the participant's fault for not doing it himself, and yeah, there's really no course of action that the staff can take but to DQ him, but I still feel bad for the guy.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
If NoE can finds the common sense to host the qualifier in London, then I'll definitely compete. I doubt I'd make it far, though. :lol

Sixfortyfive said:
He was running short on time and handed some of his team off to an acquaintance on the Smogon forums for EV training. But instead of EV training them legitimately, this guy cut some corners and was evidently careless about it.
That's so lazy man. It doesn't take more than 12mins to EV train a pokemon the legit way, pretty stupid mistake by the acquaintance no matter how you look at it.

So any details on the final? Close race? How were the teams?

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
If NoE can finds the common sense to host the qualifier in London, then I'll definitely compete. I doubt I'd make it far, though. :lol
The closest stops to me for the past two years have been 5+ hours away by car. Can't you drive the entire length of that damn island in the same time? Man up. :p

OMG Aero

I'd like to have a go in one of the UK tournaments at some point, but I just get the feeling that everyone is using the best Pokemon on smogon with all their movesets, EVs and IVs like the website says so there'd be no point in competing unless I do the same.
If I enter one of these tournaments I'd like it to be with the Pokemon I pick instead of just using the top four from a website.

Also I don't like using legendaries and it sounds like you pretty much have to.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
I'd like to have a go in one of the UK tournaments at some point, but I just get the feeling that everyone is using the best Pokemon on smogon with all their movesets, EVs and IVs like the website says so there'd be no point in competing unless I do the same.
This is what convinced me to compete. The OP is a former Smogon admin.

The rules change every year, so what legendaries are and are not permitted change as well. The VGC metagame is completely different from the Smogon metagame. If you ran 4 textbook sets from their website, you probably wouldn't get far.

Fuck, I'd be willing to catch and train perfect-stat Pokemon for Gaffers anyway. Gotta make a thread for it next year.

EDIT: So I didn't see this post earlier and figured I'd respond. :3

Metroid Killer said:
I only saw a little bit of the junior finals. The only things I remember were: Groudon+Cherrim lead on one side, freaking SubSeeding Ludicolo on both sides (Stall in VGC? Wut?), and what seemed like the longest, most switch-ridden doubles match I've ever seen. It honestly got to a point where I sort of wanted to see somebody use Stealth Rock. :lol

Senior finals teams:

Rizzo: Groudon, Cresselia, Ludicolo, Dialga, Hariyama, Kyogre
Tochigi: Infernape, Lugia, Ludicolo, Tyranitar, Palkia, Kyogre

Both players used Ludicolo in their matches but neither used Kyogre, at least from what I saw before the stream was cut. First time I'd seen that happen this year. Rizzo was running a Trick Room team. Match 1 got off to an incredible start for him as he was able to hit both targets with Rock Slide and flinch them both early, but Tochigi actually came back and won that match. Focus Sash Tyranitar. So strong.

I don't remember much of match 2, and match 3 cut out before it was a done deal. There were a lot of crits going back and forth the entire time, and each and every one caused the chat to light up with "UN GOLPE CRITICOOOOOOOOOOO" every goddamn time.* :lol

* The previous day, one Smogonite was up against a Spanish player, and the latter had his game screen broadcast to the monitors. The Smogonite lost one of his Pokemon to a crit in the opening round and only finally managed to turn it back around at the very last turn with a critical Shadow Sneak of his own. And the catchphrase of the weekend was born. Es muy eficaz!

I'm just going to link the Smogon worlds thread instead of trying to recall things from memory. I didn't see much of it anyway. A few people gave play-by-plays for most of the matches in the top 8.

Huy on the receiving end of a double-crit Water Spout. :( That'll knock the wind out of your sails right quick.

Awesome weekend all around though. And although this isn't Pokemon related it made me lol pretty hard:

Zog said:
And thinking of piss, you all should be aware of what happened during the dive-in movie. This kid stood up in front of me and just started peeing in his swimming shorts at the side of the pool, with toilets about 10 seconds' walk away. And then he wrapped himself up in 5 towels he just found on other people's sunbeds, stood in his pee puddle, and sat down in the pee-soaked towels. What the fuck.

ps I love the expressions on the two kids' faces on the right.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
That thread makes me really want to try and make a doubles team. I don't suppose you have any beginners tips on the doubles metagame?
Going from that post it seems like a major thing is abusing moves that hit both opponents but ignore (Or even heal) your partner. But otherwise I don't know where to start.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
That thread makes me really want to try and make a doubles team. I don't suppose you have any beginners tips on the doubles metagame?
Going from that post it seems like a major thing is abusing moves that hit both opponents but ignore (Or even heal) your partner. But otherwise I don't know where to start.
This covers the basics pretty well. You're right in that spread attacks that don't harm the rest of your team too much are pretty vital. Protect/Detect is everywhere in doubles, and being able to fire off a few shots without having to worry about targeting the wrong 'mon is a good luxury to have.

Probably the most important part of that article is the blurb on the viability of combos. There are a lot of moves, abilities, and general gimmicks you'd never see in singles that are viable in doubles, but if your strategy takes longer than 1 turn to set-up or at least begin to reap benefits from, you're asking for trouble imo.

I only started playing doubles casually this past winter. A friend and I were messing around with random wi-fi matches in Battle Revolution with my singles hail team, during which he pulled off one of my favorite moves I've seen. We got matched against a Japanese player who was clearly giving his VGC team a whirl, as he led with Kyogre/Ludicolo to our Abomasnow/Walrein. This Abomasnow is scarfed, so my friend used Wood Hammer on Kyogre for the KO while he had Walrein use Roar on Abomasnow to switch him out on the same turn, reset the scarf, and allow him to be brought back in on the very next turn to bring back the hail. It just floored me. It was like some stupid Ash Ketchum strategy (read: too stupid to fail) cooked up right on the spot with a team that wasn't designed for the meta at all and it worked brilliantly. Our opponent must have been dumbfounded, because his clock expired for the following two turns as he couldn't decide what to do. :lol

My favorite combo that I've fought to date is:

Blissey
Ability: Serene Grace (doubles chance of secondary effects)
- Skill Swap (swaps abilities with the target)

Jolteon
Ability: Volt Absorb (electric attacks heal 25% HP instead of causing damage)
- Discharge (hits all Pokemon including partner, 30% chance to paralyze)

Has the potential to be absolutely beastly until an Earthquake puts a stop to that.

Wichu

Grrrr... I still haven't found my missing Pokéwalker :(

Anyway, I'm really disappointed that the UK champ got disqualified... Even though I train all my Pokémon legitimately, I still check their EVs before the VGC just in case (mainly to check I haven't forgotten any EVs).

It's great to know that the junior winner used Cherrim, though; it was on my (failed) team attempt. I lost in the third round of the qualifier because I had two support Pokémon - it's not a good idea to have half your team unable to deal damage.

I'm still very surprised to hear that someone using the infamous mono-Choice team got through the LCQ, even if she didn't do so well in the actual worlds :/

Metroid Killer said:
That's so lazy man. It doesn't take more than 12mins to EV train a pokemon the legit way, pretty stupid mistake by the acquaintance no matter how you look at it.

12 minutes? Vitamins to 100 + Power items?

I should really get into the Battle Frontier and get those Power items: making do with a Macho Brace and spreading Pokerus.

Lone_Prodigy said:
12 minutes? Vitamins to 100 + Power items?

I should really get into the Battle Frontier and get those Power items: making do with a Macho Brace and spreading Pokerus.

You really should. 10 EVs for a standard fight, up to 12 or 14 for the evolved mons.

Something I just remembered that you can add to your to-do list, 645: match 5/5 numbers on the Lottery Draw (for a Master Ball).

Also, reading up on the VGC's have made me want to try more doubles play. Definitely helps that you can buy Protect. :D

I'm sure the Japanese finalist is going to be wondering how he would've done without all those crits going against him. BlueCookies played great though so nothing against him. Coming back from a 0-1 deficit to take it all is impressive either way. Match 3 in particular though would've been a lot closer without that early crit. Still, maybe this will quell the conspiracy theories that the Japanese players figured out the in-battle RNG and were dishing out hax on purpose last year. :lol

Sixfortyfive said:
Focus Sash Tyranitar. So strong.

Focus Band Tyranitar > Focus Sash Tyranitar

if you're the Battle Tower

90-96665-32406

Masked Man

I said wow
Question: Can I earn the Trainer Card star by doing Double Battles in the Battle Tower, or does it have to be Singles? (Not to say that I have a particularly strong or impressive team, but I feel a little more comfortable with two Pokémon out at one time.) :lol

Masked Man said:
Question: Can I earn the Trainer Card star by doing Double Battles in the Battle Tower, or does it have to be Singles? (Not to say that I have a particularly strong or impressive team, but I feel a little more comfortable with two Pokémon out at one time.) :lol

Either singles or doubles is fine for the star. I think you have to do singles for the prints though since Palmer doesn't appear in the doubles Tower.

Top Bottom