• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Lone_Prodigy said:
Something I just remembered that you can add to your to-do list, 645: match 5/5 numbers on the Lottery Draw (for a Master Ball).
I would rather win PP Ups. They're more useful. I've caught every legendary in HG and still haven't used my Master Ball.

I do have about 100 unique trainer IDs in my boxes by now though.

Firestorm

Wiseblade said:
If NoE can finds the common sense to host the qualifier in London, then I'll definitely compete. I doubt I'd make it far, though. :lol
It was in London last year...

The experience is awesome even if you don't make it. I'm very pro-VGC right now and I only made it to round 2!

I think more and more competitive players will start paying attention to VGC as it gets more prominence on Smogon.

As for people complaining about legendaries, VGC rules are different every year. Who knows if they'll be allowed. And if they are, who cares? It's fun to use them too!

Sixfortyfive

Yeah I don't get the hang ups some people have about using legendaries. The Kyogre-class of super uber 'mons is one thing, but more than half of them aren't even close to that broken and probably won't be used next year anyway. At least that's my gut feeling right now, anyway.

And if it's more of an issue of not being able to catch good ones, there are always people out there willing to help with that.

You're not allowed hacked Pokemon right? So wouldn't you have to SR all day for a Legendary with perfect IV's and Nature?

And maybe the inclusion of Legendaries saturates the tournament since it's very hard to win without using them (because they are the best Pokes).

Sixfortyfive

You're not allowed to have hacked 'mons in your party, no, but seeing as how it's impossible to distinguish a legitimate Pokemon from a carefully hacked one with identical stats, a lot of hacks make it in. Pokemon are just data in the end, and data can be fudged if the user knows what he's doing. Some people hack their teams from scratch, others do most things legit but cut corners with fast hatch codes or cloning codes and whatnot, and others go 100% legit. I don't really have an opinion on hacking one way or the other as long as the end result is legal, and I also do not have much sympathy for people who get caught. It's just an aspect of the game you gotta come to terms with. I wouldn't recommend risking it yourself, though.

Soft-resetting for ideal stats is obsolete, btw. RNG abuse makes perfect legitimate Pokemon possible in about half an hour per individual Pokemon, at least after the initial learning curve. All 31s ain't a thing. I sigh every time some poor trainer shares his account of a wasted afternoon SRing in front of a legend or filling up a box with subpar hatchlings. Get with the program, dood. Or just ask someone trustworthy to do it for you.

Perfect stats aren't nearly as important as general knowledge about the game is anyway. Last year's US champ RNG abused for shininess but had mostly random IVs. It's nice to have an edge, yeah, but I'm really not kidding when I say you shouldn't sweat a difference of a few stat points.

Sixfortyfive

lol

I actually am willing to take some requests for that sort of stuff now. I don't have much else to do in the game anyway.

Hey guys I want a Dragonite for my team

I captured a Dratini at level 20 and I placed it in the daycare

How long will it take to level up to 30 so It can evolve into Dragonair ?

Could I just leave the game on with me doing nothing but standing around for i dunno, 10 real life hours and then go back to the daycare center?

Sixfortyfive

The daycare gives 1 EXP point per every step you take in the game. I've never really used it to level my Pokemon, but I can't imagine that the EXP yield would be worth it once you've made a decent amount of headway in the game. If it's going to be on your main team anyway, I'd just keep him in your party as long as he's not super underleveled compared to the CPU trainers or something.

I used the ExtremeSpeed Dratini from the time I received it through to the end of the game. Didn't evolve into Dragonite until I had all 16 badges! :3

Slermy

Sixfortyfive said:
I only started playing doubles casually this past winter. A friend and I were messing around with random wi-fi matches in Battle Revolution with my singles hail team, during which he pulled off one of my favorite moves I've seen. We got matched against a Japanese player who was clearly giving his VGC team a whirl, as he led with Kyogre/Ludicolo to our Abomasnow/Walrein. This Abomasnow is scarfed, so my friend used Wood Hammer on Kyogre for the KO while he had Walrein use Roar on Abomasnow to switch him out on the same turn, reset the scarf, and allow him to be brought back in on the very next turn to bring back the hail. It just floored me. It was like some stupid Ash Ketchum strategy (read: too stupid to fail) cooked up right on the spot with a team that wasn't designed for the meta at all and it worked brilliantly. Our opponent must have been dumbfounded, because his clock expired for the following two turns as he couldn't decide what to do. :lol

My favorite combo that I've fought to date is:

Blissey
Ability: Serene Grace (doubles chance of secondary effects)
- Skill Swap (swaps abilities with the target)

Jolteon
Ability: Volt Absorb (electric attacks heal 25% HP instead of causing damage)
- Discharge (hits all Pokemon including partner, 30% chance to paralyze)

Has the potential to be absolutely beastly until an Earthquake puts a stop to that.

That post makes me giddy. Some really creative stuff there.

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
Shoddy 2?
Pokemon Online. That's the best sim out there that supports doubles at the moment, so a lot of people were using it for VGC prep.

The screencap is a Blissey that one of the Smogonites used at a regional. It's rather gimmicky and Firestorm and I found it to be both admirable and lol-worthy.

EDIT: Playing a little bit of Platinum again to tie up some loose odds and ends. I really hope that the bike rack gets consistent use in B&W. It's actually pretty nice to not have to even assign the bike to a button in early DP, but for some reason they stopped putting the bike racks next to the PKMN centers in the later areas...

This back and forth between the two games is also making it plainly obvious that the encounter rate was jacked the fuck up in HGSS.

Firestorm

Andrex said:
Almost as bad as Flinchekiss. ;)
Worse. Rock Slide hits both Pokemon.

As gimmicky as it is, it actually did fairly well on PO and would have done well in the tournament I think if he hadn't gotten really unlucky that match (and if he'd maybe gone with Softboiled). I made that picture more because we had no idea who he lost to.

As for sims, hopefully Shoddy 2 (won't be called Shoddy 2) will be out on schedule and they get B&W mechanics up and running asap!

Sixfortyfive

I'm clearing out more stuff for box space and figured I'd post a list of expendable legendaries for trade before I dump them. Mostly unremarkable stat-wise, but I figure there might be somebody out there who could use some for Pokedex completion.

Zapdos - Modest 19/30/31/14/0/26
Moltres - Timid 9/1/6/3/24/23
Moltres - Modest 26/14/22/20/3/24
Raikou - Timid 25/5/0/0/0/0
Suicune - Bold 6/7/0/0/0/0
Kyogre - Quiet 26/14/14/29/24/10
Groudon - Adamant 27/22/24/19/26/21
Rayquaza - Gentle 25/15/12/11/28/27
Giratina - Hasty 6/1/29/22/25/18
Giratina - Adamant 29/26/5/2/13/27
Palkia - Docile 15/7/13/23/14/18
Cresselia - Modest 18/15/14/0/13/24

I'm also probably willing to take requests for misc stuff that anyone may have.

Sixfortyfive

Little Green Yoda said:
TR Dialga plz
After checking D:\pkmn\rng\notes.txt, I find:
Code:
   DIALGA:   QUIET 31/30/31/31/31/ 0 - seed 46010CD4
I can clone this for you if you're around for trading.

Sixfortyfive said:
After checking D:\pkmn\rng\notes.txt, I find:
Code:
   DIALGA:   QUIET 31/30/31/31/31/ 0 - seed 46010CD4
I can clone this for you if you're around for trading.

Yeah, if you don't mind, that'll be awesome. Anything in particular you want?

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
No, but I have one of those that I could lend out. Or clone, if you wanted it for keeps.
I wouldn't mind a clone, I'm not quite ready to catch Groudon yet.
Will you be around to trade in about 30 minutes?

Sixfortyfive

Little Green Yoda said:
Oh, and PIs are the scariest mofos in the Battle Tower. Pretty tense battle: 49-54312-73215
The Battle Castle quickly became my favorite facility once I realized that I had the power to completely fuck them over.

"Oh hey PI Ralph, what are you packing today?"

651 | Dewgong | Calm | Salac Berry | Sheer Cold | Horn Drill | Rest | Sleep Talk | HP/Def/SpD
736 | Walrein | Bold | Lax Incense | Sheer Cold | Fissure | Rest | Sleep Talk | Def/SpD
"Oh I see..."

*docks Dewgong 5 levels*
*docks Walrein 5 levels*

"No, FUCK YOU!"

Hex said:
Would love Cresselia - but will not be available until after 10pm est tonight
Just PM me when you're available.

Little Green Yoda said:
Yeah, if you don't mind, that'll be awesome. Anything in particular you want?
Nah.

4082-7707-6833

OMG Aero said:
I wouldn't mind a clone, I'm not quite ready to catch Groudon yet.
Will you be around to trade in about 30 minutes?
Yeah.

Delio

Havent posted here in a while. Since i didnt get to go to Regionals im kinda bummed that i spent so much time on a perfect Palkia and Mewtwo for it. Ah well i have them for later.

Sixfortyfive

Delio said:
Havent posted here in a while. Since i didnt get to go to Regionals im kinda bummed that i spent so much time on a perfect Palkia and Mewtwo for it. Ah well i have them for later.
I am always up for VGC casuals. I only got to use my team in one actual tournament match (0-1 record wooooo!), so being able to get some more mileage out of it is always nice. :lol

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
I am always up for VGC casuals. I only got to use my team in one actual tournament match (0-1 record wooooo!), so being able to get some more mileage out of it is always nice. :lol
You are always up for everything

Please find something to do, you are very scary to me

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
You are always up for everything

Please find something to do, you are very scary to me
I don't think I'm *that* far gone, though I'm sure my perspective is skewed at this point.

Right now I'm idling in #smogonwifi, where some dude just said he RNG'd pretty much everything except his starter on his HG run.

Including an HM slave.

Delio

Sixfortyfive said:

Hmm i might be up for that later. Would be nice to see how well it would have worked.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So I did the whole Unown bullshit finally after never doing it in Crystal and Pearl but you get absolutely nothing for catching 28 Unown? What the FUCK, at least give an item or something.

Other than that I guess I finished the main story line finally, took me a bit over 35 hours. I kinda rushed through Kanto, are there any interesting side quests I should do or should I just catch 'em all at this point?

Sixfortyfive

Firestorm said:
VGC Tribute Video by Smogon user Ninahaza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwJ_UGEpcRA

I better see more people at VGCs next year! I'm going to make an official topic for it specifically once we have rules.
See also:

DM's US Nationals recap
Ninahaza's US Nationals photo album
Ninahaza's Worlds photo album
Kinneas' Worlds video log

Remember to check under the hide/spoiler tags for more pics.

Teetris said:
So I did the whole Unown bullshit finally after never doing it in Crystal and Pearl but you get absolutely nothing for catching 28 Unown? What the FUCK, at least give an item or something.

Other than that I guess I finished the main story line finally, took me a bit over 35 hours. I kinda rushed through Kanto, are there any interesting side quests I should do or should I just catch 'em all at this point?

I believe the Unown are used to make lettered ball capsules, for what it's worth.

You could always try your hand at the Battle Frontier!

Axion22

Back for more 'dex filling!

I need a Turtwig and a Piplup. The GTS has some crazy demands for even the evolved versions of them.

A lvl 50 larvitar? What do you even do with that? I don't want to know! :lol

Axion22 said:
Back for more 'dex filling!

I need a Turtwig and a Piplup. The GTS has some crazy demands for even the evolved versions of them.

A lvl 50 larvitar? What do you even do with that? I don't want to know! :lol
clone it?

Is there any reason you can only hold 3 Wonder Cards? Seems like such a stupid little oversight that is there for no reason whatsoever. It would be nice to have a huge list of all the events I have gone to/downloaded.

Blu_LED said:
Is there any reason you can only hold 3 Wonder Cards? Seems like such a stupid little oversight that is there for no reason whatsoever. It would be nice to have a huge list of all the events I have gone to/downloaded.
Most likely to prevent hacks and stuff ??

Top Bottom