• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon is now 18 years old!

Espada

I'm thinking of getting back into the series but I don't have a 3DS yet, so I'll get the B/W games since I've never played them. I can't decide which ones to pick though, Black 1 and 2 or White 1 and 2. Which ones do you guys think are better?

Black & White 2, by far. The first games in a generation are very barebones, while BW2 are some of the most feature/content rich entries in the series.

Well dang. Hard to believe I've been playing this series for my whole life essentially. Fell in love with it instantly. Crystal is my favorite, I'm a sucker for that style of music and graphics. Still hoping for Hoenn remakes

Least favorite Pokémon is Dunsparce.

Dangit man, I've seen you post in every Pokemon thread. Now this. So dissapointing. Dunsparce 4 lyfe

I'm thinking of getting back into the series but I don't have a 3DS yet, so I'll get the B/W games since I've never played them. I can't decide which ones to pick though, Black 1 and 2 or White 1 and 2. Which ones do you guys think are better?

I liked BW1 better because it was all new Pokemon, no old ones until post E4. I had to learn everything fresh and they didn't "give away" legends like in BW2, they literally jumped in front of you. Plus N is an awesome rival. I also liked the way the story worked better in BW, and the way the the E4 was handled. Play BW1 first, then BW2 of you like it, it sets up everything in BW2 well

EDIT: if you meant between black and White, its the same really with the GTS existing. Pokemon exslusives are a thing of the past. I've heard black is for competitive, but we on XY now

Pokémon for me began in 1999. For a little less than a year after it's release here in America, I knew about it, but for some reason avoided it. Then I got a chance to play Red Version at a friend's house, caught an episode of the anime (I still remember which one, it was "Island of the Giant Pokémon")... and then wasn't the same, haha. I also got into the TCG but haven't paid attention to it since the Gold/Silver days. Pokémon the First Movie I consider to be one of the biggest lies I was told as a kid.

I kinda fell out of the series during the Gen III days. I bought Ruby and played through it, but it just didn't give me that "PokéFever" and I moved on to other things. I thought I had outgrown the series, but then Diamond & Pearl came out and really sucked me back in.

My favorite game is a toss up between Black/White and Platinum. My favorite Pokémon are Raichu and Giratina.

We definitely could use some more pokemon pinball. I'd settle for HD remake on Wii and a VC release on 3DS!

And also, this thread makes me feel old. Not as old as my 2 daughters make me feel... bu yeah...

BW2. They have actual post-game content.

wmlk

It's just like star wars. There are those born before the prequel trilogy and those unfortunate souls born after it.

The series still sells like gangbusters so I don't see what you're getting at. People love it.

Just wanted to say the the Sinnoh region and Hoenn region are the best, just awesome to adventure in.

320.jpg

Sinnoh

The series still sells like gangbusters so I don't see what you're getting at. People love it.

Just wanted to say the the Sinnoh region and Hoenn region are the best, just awesome to adventure in.

lol Pokemon will be fine. I think star wars will be too so not sure what you mean?

I simply meant that there are those of us born before Pokemon and got to experience the original Pokemon craze back in the day and there are those of us who weren't

Espada

Man, I really took this style of map for granted. I really miss it now that we've had two gens that no longer use it. And yeah, both those regions were very cool to explore.

Kriken

*Sigh* Those memories of playing with the GBC on the playground with friends seem so much more recent than that

Village

How, so me and pokemon are 2 days apart, I do however have 3 years on it so hah!

So what college is pokemon thinking of going to?

wmlk

lol Pokemon will be fine. I think star wars will be too so not sure what you mean?

I simply meant that there are those of us born before Pokemon and got to experience the original Pokemon craze back in the day and there are those of us who weren't

My bad, I thought you were hinting at how the newer stuff tainted the earlier stuff, and I just disagreed with that.

Man, I really took this style of map for granted. I really miss it now that we've had two gens that no longer use it. And yeah, both those regions were very cool to explore.

It was a sheer joy to play Emerald and Platinum. The Generation II and IV remakes hold a special place in my heart because of the nostalgia, but in terms of quality and what Pokémon is in essence to me, then Emerald and Platinum are just the best. The variety and the way all the areas connected was just...wow. Especially Mt. Coronet in SInnoh.

Pokémon Platinum was really the only game where I felt a sense of atmosphere in the world, and Emerald had the most exciting region.

Madness

And Ash is still 10.

Yeah no shit, I was like the same age when Ash started his journey on the show, and the guy still hasn't learned. Leaves his best Pokémon behind, still too headstrong and stupid. I haven't watched the show in over a decade, but I'm betting he still uses Pikachu thunderbolt, and hasn't become any regional champion yet. Might as well end his storyline, use someone else already.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I really can't think of a franchise as big as this that made it's name on handhelds, either. I think that says something.

MrT-Tar

The series has been a huge part of my life since 1999. I've got shitloads of the cards, I have every card from every set up to Neo Destiny iirc, most of the games and I did 'catch em all' in gens 2 and 4, I also remember visiting the Pokemon Centre in NYC in 2002 while on a family holiday to the US.

I'm not exaggerating if I say the series was quite possibly the biggest influence on me growing up.

Vyse24

When I first heard the premise of Pokémon, that it was an RPG with 150 monsters that needed 2 different versions to complete, my first thought was "Wait, so it's an RPG with 75 enemies in one game, then you need the other game to fight the other 75?" Then I was actually shown and it cleared everything up.

Of all the years I've played Pokémon, I have not once completed any Pokedex. Maybe I'll change that with X. Maybe.

Wow.. 18 years and virtually zero changes in game design. It's just in 3D. WOwee..

And don't pull that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' BS.

Nintendo did the same thing with Animal Crossing, but worse. It's on the whole, the same exact game as it was on the Nintendo 64.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wow.. 18 years and virtually zero changes in game design. It's just in 3D. WOwee..

Nintendo did the same thing with Animal Crossing, but worse. It's on the whole, the same exact game as it was on the Nintendo 64.

Shit post of the day.

I stopped playing after gold and silver. Kind of just grew out of it. Remember the craze for Mew? Was a contest in nintendo power to get him. But was so easy with a gameshark lol. MissingNo, the Pokemon cards.... I mean I was obsessed lol.

funny-Pokemon-cereal-guy-meme.jpg

Oswen

So many good memories.
I was around 11 when pokemon arrived here in Europe, it was a special year since my family had just moved to the town where we live now and i had to change school and had no friends for that reason at the time.
I was the first kid in the class with my Pokemon Blue cart, i remember all the other kids saying the gameboy was old, the game looked ridiculous and that a cool pokemon game would be out on Playstation any moment from now.
Two weeks later they all had their Blue/Red copies.

It was tons of fun, battling and trading on the school bus, all the "secrets" we discovered together, reading on a magazine how Kadabra evolves by trade and thinking we had to find some npc in game for that and then realize it was actually by trading among players.
When Stadium came out i always had friends at home to see our mons in 3D since i was one of the few who also had a N64.
Good times.

I bought at least one game per generation while my younger brother and sister (infected by pokemania aswell) usually get the other versions, i have a full living pokedex in X/Y and about four boxes of favourites i trained in all these years, their number increases in each gen!
My favourite mons? The Torterra (ironically, since D/P had me almost giving up on the serie), Alakazam and Gengar line.

And i'm glad you became who you are Joe, been using the site for a decade and it has always helped me (and my family) greatly, so thanks alot!

Pokemon is one series of games I've enjoyed consistently. Even the lows are at least good by modern gaming standards.

The community is formed is fantastic as well, and what's more the community was absolutely huge and pervasive. I recall there being a pokemon clique for nearly every community, from church to sports. Trading, battling and just talking about the game in genera helped me to meet and become friends with so many people.

Keep up the good work, Joe! You probably get this often, but your website means a lot to those in the community. Been using your site since RSE.

Favorite Pokemon: Chandelure
Favorite Game: Pokemon Black

Wow..18 years ands not much has changed. I remember playing the heck out of Pokémon Red and that was about it.

I'm half tempted to post a massive list of everything that has changed since the originals.

Toxi

Banned
Pikachu is still my favorite Pokemon, as I started with Yellow (along with a purple GBC.)
When they do another first gen remake, they should include Pikachu as a starter option with a Light Ball obtainable later on. Maybe add a Mega Raichu so that Pika can keep up with the power creep of the other three starters.
Favorite Pokemon: Chandelure
Favorite Game: Pokemon Black
Huh, I should probably do this.

Favorite Pokemon: Magnemite (it changes, though)
Favorite game: Platinum

Trey

I'm half tempted to post a massive list of everything that has changed since the originals.

They're not wrong. Only people who play each generation faithfully would appreciate, much less understand the differences, and even then only people who battle competitively and/or breed.

Crayolan

Wow, Pokemon is as old as me. My first video game ever was Pokemon Yellow, and I've played every (main series, at least 1 per pair) game since.

Korosenai

What a great 18 years its been. Got Pokémon Red from my grandparents and Pokémon Blue from my other grandparents for my birthday in the 2nd grade. Here I am now, in college, still playing Pokemon on a Pikachu 3DS XL.

<3 Pokémon

My favorite Pokemon has been Gengar ever since I saw that haunted house episode from season one of the anime series.

I still like the part where each generation (or at least in the second gen when I last watched), suddenly the anime explains it as new discovery of Pokemon and a giant land mass appearing. Yes, I know it shouldn't bother me.

PRAISE BE TO HELIX

What do you guys think of the series?
Meant a lot to me back in the day, but don't care for the recent games much now. Although, TPP got me playing through it lately and the nostalgia has been great.

Any favourite Pokémon?
Vulpix, Scyther

Favourite games?
Red&Gold

Cool memories?
Too many to name. It was just fascinating to witness this become a pop culture phenomenon back in the day.

Wichu

They're not wrong. Only people who play each generation faithfully would appreciate, much less understand the differences, and even then only people who battle competitively and/or breed.

Nah, there's a lot of usability improvements for casual players that are often overlooked by competitive players since they don't directly affect that part of the game. Stuff like the much better PC storage interface, 8-directional movement in X/Y, running shoes, the steadily improving online functionality... Not to mention the improvements that come solely from better hardware, namely sound and graphics.

The core game design is pretty much the same, but there's nothing wrong with that - I don't see people complaining that the gameplay in, say, 3D Zelda or Mario Kart hasn't changed much. They shouldn't change the core mechanics that millions of people love.

alejo0121

My first Pokémon was Yellow which I played on the OG GBA, then got Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, Black, White2 and Y (never played Diamond, Pearl, Platinum).

I really enjoyed Sapphire a lot! Specially beacause I bought with my GBA SP (All night pokémon hell yeah also rechargeable battery).

I've enjoyed Pokémon Y so far, I just need to finish some post-game stuff (Megastones, Pokédex, etc)

I played blue religously, traded with a friend to have all the original pokemon, just like ash. even lost it in the snow and was able to find it.

Top Bottom