• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon is now 18 years old!

JoeM86

It's now February 27th in Japan, and that marks the 18th anniversary of the initial release of Pokémon Red & Green, and thus the franchise.

While originally labelled as a fad, Pokémon has become one of the largest things to have ever happened to gaming in general. It has sold over 250 million units of games, across 66 titles (each pair listed separately so Red & Green count as two). It has a massively successful anime, which across five series (Original, Advance Generation, Diamond & Pearl, Best Wishes & XY) has over 800 combined episodes, as well as 17 movies. The TCG is still going strong with over 60 sets being released since 1997 and two successful arcade games in Japan (Battrio & Tretta). Their latest entries, Pokémon X & Y, went on to sell a massive 11.6 million units in just two and a half months.

The series is constantly evolving with 719 Pokémon officially known, and more to come, which is a big step up from the original amount. It shows no signs of stopping and I am really loving the creativity of some of the designs of late. The mechanics of the game have also evolved considerably beyond how they were in the initial games, while sticking to the formula.

Pokémon has drastically changed my life, for the better. Without it, I don't know where I'd be. Most of you guys know what I do, running one of the top Pokémon sites, and that it has spurred my career and I have met so many cool people because of it. Sure, covering games can be incredibly stressful due to people wanting information on them as soon as possible, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

What do you guys think of the series? Any favourite Pokémon? Favourite games? Cool memories?

Pokémon is legal?

I feel so old

Favorite games in the series are

1. Heart Gold/ Soul Silver
2. XY (First one I beat!)
3. Pokémon Conquest

Raide

Wow..18 years ands not much has changed. I remember playing the heck out of Pokémon Red and that was about it.

It'd be awesome if Twitch Plays Pokemon managed to beat Pokemon Red by the end of the day. It probably won't happen, but it'd be a great way to celebrate.

Milennia

Well.
I have been playing the games since launch day, i remember going to toysrus and picking up blue.

I then proceeded to play the majority of the game at school while hiding behind other kids when walking in line.
They caught so many people with a gameboy playing pokemon, that one day the principle came up on the loudspeaker and said in a really hilariously disgruntled voice "there will be no pika pika pokemon during school hours, if you are seen, it will be taken away".
Also have some bad memories about getting 2 gameboy sp systems stolen at the exact same time both with a different pokemon game in them right after catching red gyrados as a kid :/ or was it a regular gyrados? Eh w.e
Own every game etc etc.

Favorite game is silver due to how much content was packed in (2 regions wtf).

Favorite pokemon based on pure looks would be.... Hmmm.
Lugia.

Favorite pokemon based on many other factors outside of looks...
Probably latias as opposed to latios. (I know I'm doing it wrong)

Edwardo

Dang I still remember waking up early before school in 5th grade to watch the show.

Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Stadium will always be my favorite games because I had so much fun with them and nostalgia.

Aerodactyl was always my favorite pokemon.

I completed the Pokedex in Yellow and haven't played more than a few hours of any of the games since.

I'd really like to play Yellow again, as well as the Pokemon Pinball games:

Pokémon_Pinball_Coverart.png
Pokemonpinballrubyandsapphire.png

Those were fantastic.

Fireblend

Banned
It sounds silly but Pokemon was a big part of my childhood, I made friends while playing it at school, it was what made me a gamer, and it got me through some hard times. I still think Pokemon Crystal is one of the best games of all time simply because of how much it blew my mind when I played it despite the now outdated mechanics, and I played the heck out of Pokemon X/Y last year (130+ hours and still play it from time to time) and enjoyed it like I hadn't enjoyed any game in a very long time. Pokemon is definitely one of those franchises I'll always have a soft spot for, despite me going for indie games most of the time nowadays.

Favorite Pokemon is definitely Arcanine. I really like Skarmory and Poliwhirl as well.

Zalman

I got into Pokémon in 1999 and I've played through every single generation. I have not been disappointed yet. I think X/Y are the best games since G/S. If I had to pick a least favorite, it would definitely be R/S.

Favorite Pokémon is Charizard. Favorite music is Route 4 (Kanto)/Lake of Rage/Route 10 (Unova). Least favorite Pokémon is Dunsparce.

I'm so old!....hold me GAF

I remember playing the first game after my dad brought me to a "Bring Your Child to Work Day" and we went to Toys R' Us and I got the game. It was basically my first turn-based game.

I bought the cards, watched the tv show, and the first movie was practically an event (with a Christina Aguilera song at the end), and then they decided to add 800 more Pokemon and I lost interest

surprised the core formula hasn't changed much post gold silver. I totally thought it would have transitioned to more of an action turned based rpg kinda thing by now a la megaman battle network.

Raide

Why do you make such uneducated and dimwitted statements so early in the thread?

Mainly because nothing they re-invent for Pokémon has interested me as much as the first one did. I am sure many people utterly love the series but I dropped out 18 years ago. No big loss...though I would probably jump in if they made a real Wii-U version. :D

Laieon

I've been playing since Gen 1, first game was Blue.

Gen 2 (and the remakes) are definitely still the best. 2 regions, 16 badges, E4 2 times, Day/Night system.

Everything afterwards almost felt like a step back. My favorite Pokemon are Squirtle and Gardevoir.

I started with the Red version: I got it because the TV show just started airing in the US and I ate up anything anime related at the time.

I'm glad I made that decision. I've been playing ever since then.

Jeez, that's unbelievable that it was released that long ago. The only games I played was Red, Blue, Pinball, and Pokemon Snap. Sounds like I've missed out on a lot.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The best RPG franchise ever created. Live long and prosper, Pokémon.

Wow..18 years ands not much has changed. I remember playing the heck out of Pokémon Red and that was about it.

Sounds like you know a lot about what you're talking about.

fushi

What's the best one to pickup for someone who has never played one and currently only has a DS and GBA? I've always wanted to try the series but never really made the leap.

AlexBasch

Dropped out of Pokémon back in Silver/Gold because I couldn't afford a GBA.

Then there was Ruby, Emerald, Diamond, Ebony and god knows what else and I lost interest in it.

I still remember those hours wasted on Silver though. <3

What's the best one to pickup for someone who has never played one and currently only has a DS and GBA? I've always wanted to try the series but never really made the leap.
Soul Silver?
I'm not biased towards my favourite version of Pokémon, nope. I swear.

Tenki

So many memories with the games. I remember getting Pokémon Blue when I was a child and spending hundreds of hours with it. Same with the following games, cloning monsters in Gold with my friends (lol), trying to meet all the Week Siblings, the truck near S.S. Anne...

I wish I was 8 again :lol

I completed the Pokedex in Yellow and haven't played more than a few hours of any of the games since.

Pokemonpinballrubyandsapphire.png

Those were fantastic.

I'd pay a lot for a Pokémon Pinball XY or something for 3DS. And a new TGC.

I remember my parents letting me skip school one day to watch the Anime since I claimed "it's my favourite episode!" and it came on before I got home. I still remember the episode: Ash caught Caterpie.

I also remember when they got me Gold for my birthday. I played it on the demo station at Zellers and I needed it. They packed it in a small box and I did absolutely nothing but play it for the rest of the night. I still have the cartridge and my save file.

Blue was my first version, then Gold. I skipped the GBA generation and hopped back in with Pearl. Pokemon Snap and Stadium were, at the time, the coolest goddamn things ever. Now I'm playing through Y while my girlfriend plays X. I think I'm gonna go play it now.

I'm pretty proud to say I still have my original copy of Pokemon Silver. If you know me, that's pretty impressive lol

I try to get back into Pokemon games like every year, but I always stop halfway through each playthrough. For me, it doesn't have the same magic it once had when I was in elementary/middle school. I appreciate the experiences I have had though.

Wichu

I think Black/White were designed especially with new players in mind, so go with those.

The best option would be to get a 3DS and X/Y and come hang out in the OT, since the social aspect (trading/battling) is one of the main draws - if you play it as a single-player game, you're missing out on a big part of what makes Pokémon special. But yeah, if you don't have any interest in getting a 3DS, go for Black/White.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

My first Pokémon game. I had a GameBoy Color and wanted to take advantage of it. Probably spent to much on it (it was an import) but whatevs, I was young and I really enjoyed it.

CTLance

I just realized that Pokemon is about half as old as I am. Fucking hell.

Oh well. Currently playing a bit of Emerald. Still as fun as I remember it.

eI5vCnY.png

Onward to another couple of decades of rival shaming.

weaKwillO

The first game I ever played and beat was Pokemon Red since my older bought both Blue and Red when they first came out release day in the U.S and let me play it. I was 4 years old and have been hooked ever since. I now own every mainline Pokemon game except Green and couldn't be happier with the franchise. Thanks to which I was able to finish my National dex up to this point in Pokemon X/Y.

Even when it started, I didn't have a favorite Pokemon that clicked with me mainly by lore wise until Lucario. The closest thing beyond that would be Swellow.

I don't have a favorite game because they are all near and dear and I see each one as its own.

Koppai

I think I first started playing Pokémon in 1999 and have never stopped since then. It is my favorite series of all time! :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

birthday-pikachu.jpg

They should seriously make a Pokémon Pinball game for 3DS. They have done Trozei so now it's time for Pinball's return!!! Pikachu Detective game might be awesome ;o

javac

Man I grew up with Pokemon. I loved the card game. Didn't know how to play. Just collected them. Go to the shop every day and buy them. My mum introduced me to the show. I woke up to go to school and she put it on and I was hooked since. I still know the theme song by heart and the Pokémon Rap <3

Liked the games but during the 3rd gen I felt I grew out of them. I felt sad like I was missing out. When I bought the DS lite I bought Diamond. I enjoyed it.

Years went by and a year or two ago my little brother was playing Pokemon Black. I thought I'd give Pokemon a go again. Bought White and White 2. Got home and started playing. I fell in love. The music, the Pokemon themselves, the visuals and story. Wow. I was emotional by the end. Started White 2 straight away and played that. Man what a phenomenal game.

I pre-ordered both X and Y for me and my little brother and played 200 hours within the first 2 weeks even with my university coursework on my mind! I haven't played much since I thought I'd take a break but I'll return soon.

I still have a lot of catching up to do with the previous gens but yeah I love the franchise and it'll always be in my heart. I remember going to watch the first movie with my Mum.

Thank you to everyone involved with the series and happy birthday.

SeZMehK

Even though it hasn't been 18 years in the US, I've loved every single minute of it. I hope I can have my soon to arrive daughter to love it once she is older. :p

Top Bottom