• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Fastest-Selling Nintendo Game in Americas

Shengar

Yo-Kai Watch jokes are being posted in here but you know what? I get the feeling, after having played this game for a while, that Yo-Kai Watch is the reason we've got nice things like a local map and no HMs and more of a character focus and especially no fkn gyms. If Yo-Kai Watch hadn't shaken Game Freak a little, I just don't think Sun and Moon would have been so different from X/Y or the other Pokemon games. I mean, I've got no reason to believe otherwise.

it's great that Pokemon is doing well, they can thank Go for that and I wonder if Sun & Moon would be selling even more if Niantic hadn't rested on their laurels and let such a huge portion of their playerbase become dissatisfied or bored with the game
I disagree about the Gym. Conceptually Trial and Gym are the same withthe former just being a different take of the latter. Trial just have more puzzle and less battle. What makes Trial different is how there are more personality to it by making the Gym Leader, or captain as the game called it, more involved and let their characters come in play.

This character focused aspect of Pokemon SunMoon could be found already in Pokemon BlackWhite. But for whatever the fuckin reason, GameFreak decides to throw them all away and gave nothing in return. From Cheren that question the meaning of strength and Bianca who accepted her unfitness of being a trainer, we got Tierno who want to teach his pokemon to dance. Fuck Generation VI, the only good thing come out of it was Fairy type and nothing else.

RagnarokX

Ah Verlisfy. Dude posts a video every minute it seems lol.

o8TiKRP.jpg

Jay RaR

Neat that they're doing well.

A bit sad my bro won't play it as he played Y and it didn't hook him back in like me. Not even playing Pokemon Go changed his mind.

Now I'm kinda wondering which version sold more, Sun or Moon.

Neat that they're doing well.

A bit sad my bro won't play it as he played Y and it didn't hook him back in like me. Not even playing Pokemon Go changed his mind.

Now I'm kinda wondering which version sold more, Sun or Moon.

usually the 1st game will sell more, so most likely Sun

Sciel

I've bought at least one game from most Pokemon gens (Ruby/ Sapphire the first time around and B2/W2 are the only exceptions) but I rarely even beat the main game, let alone consider buying the third game. Yellow is the only third version I've ever played.

Not only am I counting on buying Stars, I've been considering buying Moon so I can play through the campaign again with a different starter and team without losing my save file. They really knocked it out of the park, I love almost all of the new designs, the setting is great, the Alolan forms are neat (really hope we get some more in Stars), ditching HMs and reworking the gym progression were both long overdue but the replacements are great... just a great job all around.

Balls in their court to screw up the next games, going back to gyms would suck, and even returning to the trial system would be a little disappointing. I'd love to see them follow with an even bolder reinvention of the game.
I'm in the same boat with you. Really really enjoying this game. I most probably will even buy a Switch for Stars! (And i don't normally buy Nintendo consoles)

Pokemon Switch Speculation / Moon & Sun Ending Spoilers
I think it would be really cool if the protagonist in Switch is Lillie, and you follow her on her journey through Kanto. Essentially, you "switch" to her Journey. Fight Gym, Elite Four, etc. Then post-game, you go back to the Alola region, do trials,etc and this culminates with a final battle with your player character from Sun/Moon....who of course uses Neppy.

JoeM86

All of those hits are Verlisify. Dude has like a million videos where all he does is go to serebii and show people things they could just look up on your site :p

Haha, na I'm talking unique visitors :)

We hit our previous record, which was a two day spike in 2013, but the difference is that we have held it for almost two weeks. It's only just starting to drop down and that's mostly because Americans are back at work/school this week but it's still ridiculously high. Over three times the site's usual in terms of unique visitors alone. Talking page impressions, it's over 10 times the usual

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Absolutely beautiful and insanely well deserved.
The KING, ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: Glad your sites doing well Joe, also insanely well deserved.

MegaMelon

Well deserved of course. I'm feeling much better about the maingames now after feeling disappointed by xy. I'm still sad about the lack of a battle frontier/world tournament equivalent moving forward (according to their own logic in interviews that most people don't beat the game so why bother?) but oh well.

Haha, na I'm talking unique visitors :)

We hit our previous record, which was a two day spike in 2013, but the difference is that we have held it for almost two weeks. It's only just starting to drop down and that's mostly because Americans are back at work/school this week but it's still ridiculously high. Over three times the site's usual in terms of unique visitors alone. Talking page impressions, it's over 10 times the usual

How's the new web layout coming along Joe? It seems everytime you make some progress something major is announced that demands your attention lol.

JoeM86

Absolutely beautiful and insanely well deserved.
The KING, ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: Glad your sites doing well Joe, also insanely well deserved.

I won't be happy until I hit 2 million unique visits in a day :p

Doubt I'll ever get that, but still

How's the new web layout coming along Joe? It seems everytime you make some progress something major is announced that demands your attention lol.

Shortly before SM I managed to fix one of the massive pain in the ass issues with it. Still have one more to work out, but may result in me just having separate directories for mobile and non mobile and not all the site being mobile friendly for a while

The issue is trying to recode 1,000,000 pages to work right on a new layout, so I'm trying to make it so as little recoding needs to be done. So pages like my serial code event page would look like this:
without me having to change anything but some CSS, despite it being tables

I'm in the same boat with you. Really really enjoying this game. I most probably will even buy a Switch for Stars! (And i don't normally buy Nintendo consoles)

I think it would be really cool if the protagonist in Switch is Lillie, and you follow her on her journey through Kanto. Essentially, you "switch" to her Journey. Fight Gym, Elite Four, etc. Then post-game, you go back to the Alola region, do trials,etc and this culminates with a final battle with your player character from Sun/Moon....who of course uses Neppy.

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be Sun 2 and Moon 2 rather than Sun and Moon, though it depends on whether Game Freak has enough time for it. A more fleshed out Alola happening in the same timeline wouldn't really make sense - there are a few areas that are under construction (like that plot in Hau'oli City) and the ending certainly feels like they'll revisit the plot.

As an aside, the codename for Pokémon Sun/Moon was Niji , or Rainbow, so Pokémon "Stars" will probably be Sun 2 and Moon 2, or Eclipse.

I haven't felt this way playing a Pokemon game since I was a kid playing... LeafGreen?
I've liked, even loved Pokemon games since then (not gen 6 though, yuck), but this one is something more. I'm excited to start it up after work every night.

I think this might be the best game in the series, and I'm really hoping that Stars on NX Switch rumour is true, because that could really be something special.

13ruce

Banned
I haven't felt this way playing a Pokemon game since I was a kid playing... LeafGreen?
I've liked, even loved Pokemon games since then (not gen 6 though, yuck), but this one is something more. I'm excited to start it up after work every night.

I think this might be the best game in the series, and I'm really hoping that Stars on NX Switch rumour is true, because that could really be something special.

Same finished the game and i still want to play dozens of hours. The last game in the series that i enjoyed that much was platinum.

Really felt like a kid again playing this.

All of those hits are Verlisify. Dude has like a million videos where all he does is go to serebii and show people things they could just look up on your site :p

Well, to be fair, he's compiling the information into an easy to find format for a particular (often young) audience and he is genuinely exactly as excited about everything as he comes across in his videos. There is no separation between his online and offline personas and I think that's okay because he made it work for him by posting a ton of stuff.

Disclosure: I know him personally and I remember when he would come to my events and was freaking out because he got over ten thousand subscribers. He does put together some strange teams, I've seen him take a calculator out to check his theories, and I've been beaten many times by his teams. Although I don't take his side on some issues, I have to give him props for going out and working on about five to ten videos a day consistently.

Edit: On the games, this is the first time since Black & White, that I've also been heavily invested in the story. Everything about Pokemon Sun & Moon has been absolutely joyful. I love how ridiculous Team Skull is and I love how everything is incredibly optimistic. It reminds me that I need to set aside cash to go visit family in Central America this year. :-D

LotusHD

Banned
I've been visiting Serebii for so long. Definitely over ten years. Probably closer to fifteen. Damn Joe.

Holy shit, I just realized that I too have been going there for a long ass time...

Why did I read this. There's no way they'll do this, and despite how good this game was, the sequel can't possibly be as good as this idea :(

Try being me and realising there are users of the site younger than the site.

There are Masters in VGC who are younger than the site...

Wait until they discover you're old and are shocked by it constantly. You'll be like me.. strangely drifting along the internet, being all: 'Member Pokeabode? I 'member. 'Member when there are dozens of sites predicting we'd all give up Pokemon for NeoPets or MagiNation?

The best thing about new, younger readers is that you can constantly surprise them with stuff that the older readers already know. Wait until you can constantly surprise them with: "Remember when Pikachu caused epileptic triggers and motion sickness in Japan?" The cool thing though is that many of them aren't the most strategic and are thrilled to see it explained. They also tend to watch and rewatch things. I look at my demographics and realize that the new generation will watch the same unboxing multiple times, share it with their friends, and then come BACK to watch it again later.

Love that Serebii is still rocking it oldschool all the way design wise. It's not "modern" but it looks fine on tablets and phones, which is where I think sites should be. No fancy bells or whistles. Just pure functional goodness.

JoeM86

Wait until they discover you're old and are shocked by it constantly. You'll be like me.. strangely drifting along the internet, being all: 'Member Pokeabode? I 'member. 'Member when there are dozens of sites predicting we'd all give up Pokemon for NeoPets or MagiNation?

The best thing about new, younger readers is that you can constantly surprise them with stuff that the older readers already know. Wait until you can constantly surprise them with: "Remember when Pikachu caused epileptic triggers and motion sickness in Japan?" The cool thing though is that many of them aren't the most strategic and are thrilled to see it explained. They also tend to watch and rewatch things. I look at my demographics and realize that the new generation will watch the same unboxing multiple times, share it with their friends, and then come BACK to watch it again later.

Love that Serebii is still rocking it oldschool all the way design wise. It's not "modern" but it looks fine on tablets and phones, which is where I think sites should be. No fancy bells or whistles. Just pure functional goodness.

Most modern designs are terrible and only work for sites with like less than 20 pages or just are news blogs where you don't need to look for content

Pokemon Snap for switch!! Launch title!! DAMMIT NINTENDO!!!

If (and that's a big if) the Switch has GPS they could do a very cool AR mode with Pokemon Snap. I'm assuming there will be a camera included somewhere with the Switch (even if we haven't seen it yet).

But yeah they would be pretty foolish not to prepare some sort of Pokemon spin off for the launch if Stars isn't going to be ready until Fall. And hopefully not just a Pokken port.

Sou Da

I disagree about the Gym. Conceptually Trial and Gym are the same withthe former just being a different take of the latter. Trial just have more puzzle and less battle. What makes Trial different is how there are more personality to it by making the Gym Leader, or captain as the game called it, more involved and let their characters come in play.

Not necessarily, there are "gyms" in the game. The Trainer school for instance is clearly one.

random25

can anyone tell me what the difference between "10 million pre order" and sale?
isn't 10 million shipments for "pre order" are guarantee sale in the first week?

Not all 10 million are not preorders. Part of those are the ones you see available on store shelves for sale.

wmlk

This character focused aspect of Pokemon SunMoon could be found already in Pokemon BlackWhite. But for whatever the fuckin reason, GameFreak decides to throw them all away and gave nothing in return. From Cheren that question the meaning of strength and Bianca who accepted her unfitness of being a trainer, we got Tierno who want to teach his pokemon to dance. Fuck Generation VI, the only good thing come out of it was Fairy type and nothing else.

I can feel the rage seething out of the post. I agree.

Pokemon is officially more popular than it's ever been. Nintendo and the Pokemon Company should take advantage of the situation by developing fresh spin offs that take the IP in different directions. Give consumers something fun to play between Sun/Moon and the rumored Stars besides Pokemon Go.
That doesn't sound like something that can reasonably shows results before Stars in a ~year.

Regiruler

How do you answer the questions for the festival plaza? When I look at some user's profiles I see a bunch of more direct game-related questions and I don't think I've ever filled anything like that out.

Big One

Banned
Has someone made a sprite sheet using all of the models from the game yet? I have stuff that's Alola-Dex only but I was hoping for a full national Dex + alternate forms to play around with.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Going to start Pokémon Sun this weekend. I'm definitely an example of the GO effect. I haven't played a Pokémon game since RBY, and the GO addiction got me interested in a mainline game again. It's going to be a surprise, I hope much has changed since the olden days.

Top Bottom