• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

iFirez

JAPANESE VIDEO ABOUT ROTOMDEX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc03tXikfJs

Shows gameplay of how it works.

XvZl36U.jpg

Well this is that town we saw in the lower section of the starting island for sure - love the PokeCenter design too.

Zyrox

Just realized Lunala has the type advantage over Solgaleo. Ghost is SE against Daycats typing. Nightbat is gonna eat Daycat alive.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No it wasn't. The point was that they wouldn't need to make new ones when they moved to the more powerful successor of the 3DS.

Using the same models on the same hardware for two generations results in it being completely identical. On more powerful hardware they won't need to be compressed as much as will look better.

I think the problem isn't the models, but rather the animation. You can use the same models but change the animation.

Not that I have anything against Salamence's flight animation. That is how it must animate (Devilman homage after all).

If I was a pokemon I would be terrified of pairing with Ash.
He'd get us both killed. Gary Oak is a trainer you can trust.

XY Ash is the best though. Everyone wants to join his bowl.

javac

Alola Region
Visit the Alola Region!
9QCoa46.jpg

Your new adventures in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon will take place on the tropical islands of the Alola region! The Alola region centers around four islands rich in natural beauty and an artificial island. Many Pokémon that have never been seen before occupy these islands.
-----

Professor Kukui
RU4FuK4.png

Professor Kukui is the Alola region's dependable Pokémon professor. He lives near your home and looks out for you. He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. Sporting a white lab coat slung casually over his bare torso, he shows off his own unique style.

Lillie
q95fxFn.png

Lillie is a mysterious girl who assists the professor. This young girl is about the same age as your character, and she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books. Lillie will play an important role in the story of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

Your Friend Hau
cYnRoSr.png

Hau is a Pokémon-loving young boy with a big appetite! He's the same age as your character. When you move to the Alola region, he makes friends with you right away. He has a real weakness for malasada, a famous treat in the Alola region, and he is always in search of malasada shops. He is a big-hearted boy who really loves Pokémon.
-----
The Rotom Pokédex Is Your Ally on Your Journey!
BKnsmmN.jpg

The Pokédex is a convenient tool that records information about the Pokémon you see and catch during your adventure. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, your character receives a special Pokédex from Professor Kukui to support you in your travels. It's known as the Rotom Pokédex, and it's inhabited by Rotom, a Pokémon with the power to reside in various electronic appliances. It does much more than record Pokémon info—it sparkles with its own personality. The Rotom Pokédex shows your current location and your next destination, and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.
SNWtYgR.jpg

Meet New Pokémon Using the QR Scanner!
16FOkmJ.jpg

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, there is a QR Scanner function that allows you to see information about Pokémon when you scan QR Code patterns. With the QR Scanner, you scan in a QR Code and check the information about the Pokémon that corresponds to that QR Code. There are QR Code patterns in various places all around you, so try scanning them.
7A9YZ75.jpg
p25gQsE.jpg

DimhNcE.jpg
-----
Solgaleo
Since ancient times, Solgaleo has been honored as an emissary of the sun. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that devours the sun.” Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active. It has a flowing mane with a remarkable resemblance to the sun. Its signature move is Sunsteel Strike, an attack that charges at an opponent with the force of a meteor, disregarding the target’s Ability.

Solgaleo’s Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability.

Lunala
Since ancient times, Lunala has been honored as an emissary of the moon. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that calls the moon.” Lunala is constantly absorbing light and converting it into energy. With its wings spread to absorb the surrounding light and glittering like a crescent moon, it resembles a beautiful night sky. Lunala’s signature Moongeist Beam attack releases an ominous beam of light that disregards the target’s Ability.

Lunala’s Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP.

AetherZX

The movie doesn't seem to have any sort of form change "hook" yet.

I suspect corocoro would have something regarding that for the upcoming issue instead of just a reiteration of the new info. Film comes out next month after all.

From the Rotom Dex Japanese video, seems like we'll be getting multiple areas/regions: Alola Dex and Meremere Dex. (14 sec mark) There are 5 blank spots, so 5 areas/ regions? The pokemon also seem to overlap, so they're not exclusive to an area. Weird that we have two regions so early, with only 3 pokemon seen/ 1 owned.

Qurupeke

From the Rotom Dex Japanese video, seems like we'll be getting multiple areas/regions: Alola Dex and Meremere Dex. (14 sec mark) There are 5 blank spots, so 5 areas/ regions? The pokemon also seem to overlap, so they're not exclusive to an area.

Basically what happened with Coastal, Mountain etc. for Kalos, but with different names and probably different islands.

Galava

From the Rotom Dex Japanese video, seems like we'll be getting multiple areas/regions: Alola Dex and Meremere Dex. (14 sec mark) There are 5 blank spots, so 5 areas/ regions? The pokemon also seem to overlap, so they're not exclusive to an area. Weird that we have two regions so early, with only 3 pokemon seen/ 1 owned.

It is confirmed they are 4 natural islands and 1 artificial island. One dex per island I guess.

Alola is probably the dex for the region as a whole, while Meremere is the name of the first island.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

No, the Alola Dex is divided into 4 "Islands"...the first one being Melemele Island.

Melemele happens to be the Hawaiian word for "yellow" I believe, so I'm guessing the other three are gonna be named after the Gen I games.

Azuran

Banned

Bless Arceus they're bringing a large regional dex back. The one in ORAS was pathetic.

Pineapple

Lillie definitely looks pissed off about something.

I'm guessing she will either be the primary antagonist, League Champion, or our actual rival.

Boss Doggie

The movie doesn't seem to have any sort of form change "hook" yet.

I suspect corocoro would have something regarding that for the upcoming issue instead of just a reiteration of the new info. Film comes out next month after all.

Magearna?

javac

Lillie definitely looks pissed off about something.

I'm guessing she will either be the primary antagonist, League Champion, or our actual rival.

It says in her bio that she's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, so that's why she's annoyed I guess.

Ash Greninja is so stupid when it happened in the anime and they are adding it to the games... Just continue doing Mega's if your gonna do "synchro". Its basically Super Sayain mode only happens every 1,000 years except when one does it now everyone can.

GoldStarz

No, the Alola Dex is divided into 4 "Islands"...the first one being Melemele Island.

Melemele happens to be the Hawaiian word for "yellow" I believe, so I'm guessing the other three are gonna be named after the Gen I games.

Or maybe they'll be Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum? lol

Kitzilla

With that amount of water, i really hope there will be diving spots, underwater ruins or even ancient underwater cities *woah*. But srsly tho, imo, the whole region was a bit small based from that concept art of the map.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Ash Greninja is so stupid when it happened in the anime and they are adding it to the games... Just continue doing Mega's if your gonna do "synchro". Its basically Super Sayain mode only happens every 1,000 years except when one does it now everyone can.
Its a super saiyan bargain sale.

Boss Doggie

I dunno, the way it was handled in the anime was pretty great, in fact its foreshadowing was something you didn't expect in Pokemon of all places.

ash_ag

Another interesting detail is that "sprites", or default poses of the models I suppose, seem to make a return on the Pokédex. Gen 6 sort of had them, but they weren't very dynamic/distinct.

gdfc8Lq.jpg

Delio

So i guess based on that info Rotomdex is the handholding option. I hope like with other dexs you can just turn it off.

Galava

Sun and Moon to be at E3 on June 14th.
Pokenchi about the games on july 3rd.
Maybe something more on july 7th.

What a time to be alive.

javac

Rotom looks so happy no matter what he turns into. Dude could turn into a toilet and still have a shit eating grin on his face, I wish I was that happy.

Prbilly

Neo Member
I would hope this means Dexnav is back. I neeeed it.

I hope so, it was so useful in the remakes. I remember getting a taillow, very early on in the game, with boom burst.

I just want them to bring back pokemon that follow the player because even though it didn't add much mechanically, it was still cool to look at.

So since Rotom is built into the Pokedex, I guess that means a talking Rotom will be a main character in the Sun/Moon anime. I wonder if anyone will actually catch it, or if it'll just hang around them.

Macka

Reiterating that there aren't any Trainer models in the battles between Solgaleo and Salamence or Lunala and Gengar.

Boogiepop

Apparently the bracelets have the stone from the manga in them that enables synchro, at least that's what Reddit tells me.

So basically, Ash Greninja.

It bears repeating (since it came up before surrounding this topic) that we're talking about a pretty generic looking shape, and the manga in question is the fairly unpopular ReBurst. So yeah, even if they do end up covering somewhat related topics in the end, I REALLY doubt they've decided to explicitly pull from that for the main games. IE I definitely wouldn't say this means that the fusions from that manga are confirmed or anything, at least. Though yeah, wouldn't count out the Ash Greninja stuff of course.

ash_ag

So since Rotom is built into the Pokedex, I guess that means a talking Rotom will be a main character in the Sun/Moon anime. I wonder if anyone will actually catch it, or if it'll just hang around them.

Oak has a Rotom, which interestingly is from a tropical island itself. Perhaps it will join Ash and co. for the SM anime.

There are usually more than one Dex's around though. I wonder if they'll just give other characters a more simple model, rather than introducing a new Rotom every time.

Razmos

Professor Oak has a Rotom, and he's the one who gave Ash a talking pokedex at the start (remember that? Lol) so I imagine he'll play a part

Alola is probably the dex for the region as a whole, while Meremere is the name of the first island.

It is confirmed they are 4 natural islands and 1 artificial island. One dex per island I guess.

Basically what happened with Coastal, Mountain etc. for Kalos, but with different names and probably different islands.

Ah! Make sense! Also clears up how you have 2 areas (or two of the buttons unlocked) right after you get your starter.

Thanks, everyone!

Top Bottom