• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So Solgaleo and Lunala's abilities are pretty underwelming in the sense that the pokemon company is saying 'a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had'. But it's just Clear Body and Multiscale. Kind of silly.

As long as the starters get good hidden abilities I'll be happy.

Well from a lore perspective those Abilities wouldn't "fit"...Clear Body is for transparent Pokemon and Multiscale is for scalies.

Kyzer

Banned
I haven't been watching the anime but from what I've read, Ash-Greninja sounds a bit similar to Full Synchro in Mega Man Battle Network:

latest

There are certainly differences, but does the concept line up with this at all?

This is what I always thought too

Dandte

I didn't had this hype for a Pokemon game since the original silver. I want to get ready for Sun, so i neede a little bit of guidance and clarification:

System i use: Original Nintendo 3ds

Games i have(since DS): Diamond, SoulSilver, White, Y

To get ready for Sun i need to use the Pokemon Bank, right?

So Pokemon from Y -> PokeBank

To get my Diamond and SS Pokemon i need to transfer them to White

Diamon and SS -> White

Now i need to move all of my Pokemon from White to Pokebank using Poketransporter.

Correct?

Also, should i buy ORAS or one of the classic Pokemon fill up my dex or am i fine at this point?

I didn't had this hype for a Pokemon game since the original silver. I want to get ready for Sun, so i neede a little bit of guidance and clarification:

System i use: Original Nintendo 3ds

Games i have(since DS): Diamond, SoulSilver, White, Y

To get ready for Sun i need to use the Pokemon Bank, right?

So Pokemon from Y -> PokeBank

To get my Diamond and SS Pokemon i need to transfer them to White

Diamon and SS -> White

Now i need to move all of my Pokemon from White to Pokebank using Poketransporter.

Correct?

Also, should i buy ORAS or one of the classic Pokemon fill up my dex or am i fine at this point?
That's correct, yes. You need to have beaten the main game in White to unlock the PokéTransfer to get your Pokémon from Diamond and Soul Silver, but from there the process of getting them into Bank is simple enough.

If you want to fill your Pokédex, I would suggest getting either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire for convenience- you can catch all of the non-Mythical Pokémon between X, Y, OR and AS. However, if you don't particularly want to sink time into it, the online trading in X makes getting Pokémon pretty easy nowadays.

Coffinhal

Oh please. Gen 2 has the worst story. It's barely even a story.

When it comes to story, Gen 1 & 2's is minimal. It barely has any characters in the narrative (Gen 2 doesn't even have a main antagonist) and there's only a couple of instances of it.

X & Y's story is actually solid.

Oh please. It's minimal so it can't be bad. Actually it suits the overall game design very well.

Compared to BW (or BW2 for the champions) the rhythm is bad, side characters don't have character or are uninteresting and the whole 3000y before story has no depth. Oh yeah and the Mega-stuff ruined most of it.

GoldStarz

Well from a lore perspective those Abilities wouldn't "fit"...Clear Body is for transparent Pokemon and Multiscale is for scalies.

Except the only Mons that had that ability prior to Gen V were the Cranidos line and Pinsir, while Clear Body is owned by several mons even some that aren't particularly strong or special. Heck, 7 of the Pokemon who have the ability have metal bodies themselves so it makes no sense why Solgaleo shouldn't have just been given Clear Body outside of trying to make it look special. Multiscale though, yeah that's something special given how only a Pseudo Legend and actual legend have those abilities.

Literally just talked about this.

Also: Lugia has scales?

Except the only Mons that had that ability prior to Gen V were the Cranidos line and Pinsir, while Clear Body is owned by several mons even some that aren't particularly strong or special. Heck, 7 of the Pokemon who have the ability have metal bodies themselves so it makes no sense why Solgaleo shouldn't have just been given Clear Body outside of trying to make it look special. Multiscale though, yeah that's something special given how only a Pseudo Legend and actual legend have those abilities.
Because GF has been giving legendaries unique moves and abilities for some time now so yes, it's because they are trying to make it look special.

We probably aren't going to get another box legend with Pressure anytime soon.

What's next in the cycle? More info on rivals and the starting town + route 1 Pokemon?
It's all a bit up in the air, really. Coro Coro will be coming out around the same sort of time as the E3 Treehouse stream- they might cover the same sort of ground, or we might have the crazy situation we had back at E3 2013 where we had two or three separate reveals going on at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did get the wireframe bird and the bone dog, but anything beyond that might depend on what form the stream takes.

Joqu

I have to admit I'm generally not too fond of their Pokemon analyses, they clearly put as much work into them as always but they tend to miss obvious stuff. Perhaps they aren't as knowledgeable when it comes to Pokemon in particular.

Anyway, I'm still in progress of watching these new ones, though I seem to have started with part 2, and one thing I do think is interesting is the observation that NPCs appear to change locations on the beach at two different times. If this is linked to time of day and it's a widespread thing I think that'd be a rather nice way to make the world feel even more organic, especially since I'd assume it would brings dialogue changes with it. And for me, someone who loves to talk to every single NPC in JRPGs, I know I'd spend a whole lot of extra playtime on stuff like that. They just need to make sure they don't make it annoying by going overboard on important changes like important time-based events, and I'll love it.

It'd also make quite a bit of sense thematically so it's got that going for it too.

Don't want to get my hopes up here though, it might as well be something way more minor than all that.

Kyzer

Banned
The fact that each island has its own Pokedex is pretty crazy. Theyre gonna pack a lot of Pokemon in each area. Great news

All these Johto references

Is it because there's gonna be megas or is there even more to it? I mean. You don't go to Johto without going to kanto

The fact that each island has its own Pokedex is pretty crazy. Theyre gonna pack a lot of Pokemon in each area. Great news

It's like the Kalos Pokedex being divided into three sections. That being said, Kalos has the largest Region Dex so this isn't terribly surprising.

In the middle of the GameXplain analyses right now. Paying attention to how pokecenters on the top right island they think is the second one was smart. I thought that island had a bunch of things clustered together but there are 6 poke centers on it. It likely has 3 gyms on it and many places to visit.

Red Fire

I really hope there will be more actual evolutions for older pokemon this time. Miss those, i loved gen 4 for that, and we only got sylveon since then.

Looking forward to hopefully see some new mons at e3.

Finished the analysis videos. Interesting at the end of part two he pointed out that there are 2 other buildings that looks like the slaking hotel without the slaking on it, and one other building that looks like the on with the trucks in front of it. Wonder what that means.

Also, the connection with the tower, the clouds (lol, I still don't really see Ho-Oh), and the theories that the two sun and moon legendaries are connected through alchemy myths about gold and silver, I really do think that these games will have a strong connection with Gold and Silver.

And finally, I'm know there will definitely be a south west island emerging from the ocean where the clouds block it in the in game map.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I refuse to believe that the Eviolite is reason to why we can't get anymore Cross gen evolution as that would mean that Game Freak actively took the decision to cull a staple feature in the series and one that many Pokémon fans enjoys and look forward to seeing what old Pokémon will get a new evolution.

Mega and it's variants do not scratch the same itch that new Pokémon and cross evolution offer as they are not new Pokémon or evolution.

Oh please. Gen 2 has the worst story. It's barely even a story.

When it comes to story, Gen 1 & 2's is minimal. It barely has any characters in the narrative (Gen 2 doesn't even have a main antagonist) and there's only a couple of instances of it.

X & Y's story is actually solid.

Gen 2 story was greatly expanded with the remake, X and Y however is forever terrible as;

-It was poorly paced, especially the Team Flare part of the game,

-Had terrible characters like Trevor, Tierno, Dexio and Sina,

-Had character development shown off screen, it was dumb how Tierno suddenly when from "Hur hur I love dancing" to "I want to be strong like you."

-Introduced key characters late in the game, we should not be first seeing AZ after the 4th gym badge not that it matters as we don't see him again till the Team Flare plot where we yet again get that big plot about the wars. It was too much plot point in one dose.

-Diantha was the worse champion ever period, she did nothing to teach and test the player.

-Barring Korrina, Clemont and Valerie the gym leaders were not memorable and did not play a part in the story.

-It felt like that game had 3 story plot running but does a bad job in intertwining them or fleshing them out. For example the mega plot point just stops after you get the 3rd badge and the Team Flare plot starts to kick in.

-Team Flare were lame and just felt like a Team Rocket knock off as they seemed to be interested in making money.

And the worse part is due to Game Freak jumping to gen 7 X and Y can never be redeemed or expanded like how Platinum expanded Sinnoh or how Black and White 2 expanded Unova.

Who cares about story in a Pokemon game?

I do as I primarily play the main game and never touch the meta game so I throw myself into the story and get absorbed into it and learn about the region itself, the people who live there and its lore.

X and Y failed on all three count.

The overall region from the environments were so good and I felt like I was in France.

Nah Kalos was a play by the number region and felt nothing like France, I should know as I have been there, and I struggle to remember a stand out location of Kalos other than Lumiose City but that's only because the camera is so bad in that city.

I also have some questionable design with the region itself like why does Kalos have a desert route? It's never explained why and just feels jarring having a desert route smack bang in the middle of a grassy city and a metropolitan city.

Take Unova it's explained why there's a desert route and it is expanded further in Black and White 2.

For the whole Eviolite thing: I'd actually like for Gamefreak to make some cross evos again BECAUSE of Eviloite! For those of you who ladder on Battle Spot, you'll notice that Porygon2 is a big part of Battle Spot Singles, since Eviolite lets it check some serious threats such as Aegislash and Mega Salamence. You also see Porygon2 a bit rarely in doubles and triples to set up Trick Room, and its a common Trick Roomer in Rotations too.

Even beyond Porygon2, you got some high rated players on Battle Spot Singles actually using Eviolite Piloswine because its bulkier than Mamoswine (no joke, Mega Lucario Close Combat actually fails to OHKO Eviolite Piloswine o_O). And in Battle Spot Doubles and especially Triples, you have Eviolite Clefairy which makes great use of Friend Guard. Hell, some people in triples use Eviolite Friend Guard Jigglypuff as a Perish Songer on perish trap teams!

I think if Gamefreak is smart about which Pokemon evolve, it could be really great because it'd be like a two for one deal: A new Pokemon, and a new defensive twist on an old Pokemon that probably wasn't very good originally! I doubt that many people care about continuity in Pokemon either, so I'd be really surprised if Gamefreak cared THAT much abut upseting people that the "canon" has been broken because Miltank or whatever got an evolution.

Agreed, Game Freak don't just give evolution willy nilly to any Pokémon, they clearly look at what Pokémon would benift from getting an evolution and give them one.

I just want another female Professor, naked or no. Prof Juniper was awesome.

Honestly I want the evil team leader to be female as;

-Crystal introduce the first playable female character,

-Gen 3 introduced the first female rival, though this was only the case if you chose to play as the boy, female players would still have to wait till Black and White.

-Gen 4 introduced the first and best female champion.

-Gen 5 gave us the first female professor and for some players their first female rival.

-Gen 6 gave us nothing.

So I feel that the next mile stone should be having the evil team leader to be female.

I know he doesn't care all that much about the series, but a GameXplain analysis still doesn't feel right without Andre on it. :(

Derrick is probably better as he knows the series better than Andre.

MajorMane

All these Johto references

Is it because there's gonna be megas or is there even more to it? I mean. You don't go to Johto without going to kanto

You're not going to go to Johto. You're going to go back to Kalos.

Or just Gen 2 nostalgia. Which is okay too.

Top Bottom