• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Pyrokai

What drives me CRAZY about Mega Evolutions are the ones that aren't a "third" stage. Like, I enjoy the idea of Megas for Pokémon like Charizard, Blaziken, Venasaur, Gardevoir, etc as well as for some legendaries because legendaries don't evolve like normal. But for Pokémon where they could have just ADDED a second or third REGULAR evolution, I hate it. Absolutely loathe it. Examples of these are Pinsir, Gyrados, Steelix, Camerupt, etc. Like wtf?! If this game were made in the Diamond and Pearl era, most if those would have been different Pokémon altogether. I mean, Mega Camerupt could EASILY be a completely new Pokémon. Also, they killed the chance that it could ever actually have a new evolution in the future because it Mega Evolves.

Just all really sloppy if you ask me.

GoldStarz

What drives me CRAZY about Mega Evolutions are the ones that aren't a "third" stage. Like, I enjoy the idea of Megas for Pokémon like Charizard, Blaziken, Venasaur, Gardevoir, etc as well as for some legendaries because legendaries don't evolve like normal. But for Pokémon where they could have just ADDED a second or third REGULAR evolution, I hate it. Absolutely loathe it. Examples of these are Pinsir, Gyrados, Steelix, Camerupt, etc. Like wtf?! If this game were made in the Diamond and Pearl era, most if those would have been different Pokémon altogether. I mean, Mega Camerupt could EASILY be a completely new Pokémon. Also, they killed the chance that it could ever actually have a new evolution in the future because it Mega Evolves.

I can see Pinsir, but to me I don't see Gyrados, Steelix, or Camerupt Mega Evolving. Plus Camerupt and Sharpedo got Megas becuase their Archie and Maxie's signature Pokemon

ryan13ts

This is EXACTLY how I feel about Mega Evolutions. I think they're great for Pokemon that normally couldn't get an evolution, like stage 3 evolutions or Legendaries. However, I think using them for single or two stage Pokemon is just a horrible idea and kills giving those Pokemon any chance for a true evolution. The idea is good but its the Pokemon they chose to execute them on is where it sucks

The fact that ME's always revert is part of the reason I don't care for them much either, since I look at them as basically forme chances, which I also don't like. I much prefer true evolution, which is probably why I like Gen IV so much as they gave us so many true evolutions. I really hope they move away from ME's this gen for everything except Stage 3's and Legendaries and give us real evolutions again.

Galang

Banned

Fucking co-signed. Agree with all of this

I'm actually pretty glad most of those Pokémon haven't been given "true" evolutions to clog up the Pokédex, TBF. The world doesn't need a Steelix evolution.

Good interesting Mega designs like Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Slowbro are more interesting to me than evolutions would likely be, personally speaking- I actually like the trade off we've had.

Not as annoying as Slowbro who can mega-evolve, but his evolution, Slowking, can't...

Slowking doesn't evolve from Slowbro. They both evolve from Slowpoke.

Bubble

Neo Member
I don't mind seeing Gyarados, Steelix, Camerupt etc, get Mega Evolutions because they are pretty complete already. However, Pokemon such as Mawile, Banette and Sableye could easily have had another evolution.

It is a damn shame GF are kind of done making cross-evolutions (Sylveon not counted). The cross-gen evolutions in Gen VI were absolutely the high-point to me. I can't see GF giving Mawile or Sableye a proper evolution now that they have a Mega Evolution, which sucks.

Setsu00

I don't mind seeing Gyarados, Steelix, Camerupt etc, get Mega Evolutions because they are pretty complete already. However, Pokemon such as Mawile, Banette and Sableye could easily have had another evolution.

It is a damn shame GF are kind of done making cross-evolutions (Sylveon not counted). The cross-gen evolutions in Gen VI were absolutely the high-point to me. I can't see GF giving Mawile or Sableye a proper evolution now that they have a Mega Evolution, which sucks.

The cross-gen evolutions are the reason why DPPt are my favorite Pokemon games. I wish they would return to that concept.

Strimei

I'm really starting to wonder whether Megas are going to be cut from this game. My friends are pretty much convinced they are and that's been making me doubt myself lol

I'm fairly convinced they're still in.

Some people noticed that one of the slots on the bracelet (the underside, specifically, which can be seen in the latest trailer while the trainers do the dance/poses) is different from the diamond-shaped ones. Its a circular slot, like the mega-stone.

Cross-gen evos in Gen IV were given to those that needed it, like Tangela, Yanma, Aipom, and Lickitung, who were all garbage before their evos came along. Pokemon like Steelix and Gyarados have stats that are too high to give them further evos, unless you do something like decrease a stat and increase others, which is a concept that was already done with Onix anyway. Eviolite would also be an issue.

Pokemon like Mawile and Lopunny are better examples of who should get proper evolutions, although they kind of look too similar to their original forms.

brinstar

I feel like if they were gonna evolve Pinsir they would've done it by now. I don't see giving something like Pinsir a ME as them "taking away" a potential evolution and more that they're acknowledging that they're probably not going to do anything else with it.

I do enjoy cross-gen evolution too and I think the two can coexist, (in fact they have, with Slyveon) but I don't see Megas as taking away anything.

Strimei

Think we will get a new Eevee Evolution in Sun/Moon? Steel, Rock or Poison Eevee?

Unlikely, I think.

The latest Japanese trailer included the capture/pokedex screen for Eevee, and it only shows 8 evolutions (remember that the pokedex now shows related pokemon to the one you're looking at, like evolutions), and we've got 8 already.

That said, its not impossible that they deliberately changed it for the trailer but I kinda doubt it.

wmlk

Which is why outside of starters and legendaries I say drop them, because more often than not that's how they're used and its a waste.

I'm going to have to echo the dissatisfaction with Megas. While I don't outright hate them, I do think they need to be reworked. They're honestly all kinds of imbalanced. With some being incredibly OP and others being downright terrible. Eviolite really fucked up a lot of things with its inclusion.

Call me crazy, but I don't think every Pokemon needs a third or even a second stage evolution. Not every species needs to be competitively viable anyway.

There's still a place for Mega Evolutions IMO. I hope GF doesn't drop it for the new Synchro mechanic though. They can't stop at just 46 Pokemon.

I'm fairly convinced they're still in.

Some people noticed that one of the slots on the bracelet (the underside, specifically, which can be seen in the latest trailer while the trainers do the dance/poses) is different from the diamond-shaped ones. Its a circular slot, like the mega-stone.

Here's the slot in question.

BCvslvb.png

Sou Da

Pokemon likes to have a really dumb internal logic. You were never going to see a new evolution for those Pokemon unless it was item or location based.

There's literally zero evidence that Eviolite is responsible for the lack of new Cross-Gen evos

Idk. I kind of think that since the inclusion of eviolite, Game Freak has to be a lot more careful of who they give an evolution to. For example, Torkoal would love an evolution. But fat chance at getting one because eviolite will make that thing a monster.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So tomorrow could see an update to the official site since CoroCoro is officially released---now last month they didn't with Komala and Rockruff, but that seems to be perhaps due to E3. The fact we got a new trailer with the two new Pokemon in Japan makes me think they'll get them up internationally faster, where with the other two they weren't featured in any coverage outside CoroCoro until the site updated at the end of June and even then we didn't see footage of them till that South Korean event.

Also the Volcanion movie hits Saturday in Japan, so we should hear about it soon too---the movie before XY had a new trailer that revealed Trevenant, and I could see something like that happening again. That one took awhile to be released to the public, but hopefully they get that trailer out internationally faster so we don't have to go by sketches to know what a New Pokemon looks like lol.

I also think we'll see, if you care, Ash's new S&M design this month as well probably, but not much more than that and likely a poster with the Starters alongside him. I'd like to note excluding Iris, his Gym Leader companions (Cilan and Clemont) were revealed as game characters first in CoroCoro before being confirmed in the show.

Delio

So tomorrow could see an update to the official site since CoroCoro is officially released---now last month they didn't with Komala and Rockruff, but that seems to be perhaps due to E3. The fact we got a new trailer with the two new Pokemon in Japan makes me think they'll get them up internationally faster, where with the other two they weren't featured in any coverage outside CoroCoro until the site updated at the end of June and even then we didn't see footage of them till that South Korean event.

Also the Volcanion movie hits Saturday in Japan, so we should hear about it soon too---the movie before XY had a new trailer that revealed Trevenant, and I could see something like that happening again. That one took awhile to be released to the public, but hopefully they get that trailer out internationally faster so we don't have to go by sketches to know what a New Pokemon looks like lol.

I also think we'll see, if you care, Ash's new S&M design this month as well probably, but not much more than that and likely a poster with the Starters alongside him. I'd like to note excluding Iris, his Gym Leader companions (Cilan and Clemont) were revealed as game characters first in CoroCoro before being confirmed in the show.

inb4 his companions are just Hau and Lillie and we keep on the no Gym leader train.

Watch Da Birdie

Well it's almost Saturday morning in Japan, guess we should have our first reports on possible reveals---if there's any---concerning a new Sun and Moon trailer aired at the end of the Volcanion film by lunch over there so in like six or so hours.

Maybe they're waiting for this and will upload the CoroCoro stuff at the same time and then the English site will update following suit.

Well it's almost Saturday morning in Japan, guess we should have our first reports on possible reveals---if there's any---concerning a new Sun and Moon trailer aired at the end of the Volcanion film by lunch over there so in like six or so hours.

Maybe they're waiting for this and will upload the CoroCoro stuff at the same time and then the English site will update following suit.

They always do a special trailer with the Pokemon movies so hopefully and a teaser for Pokemon movie 20

I think the only time in recent years that the movies didn't show a preview at the end was the Genesect/Mewtwo movie, which would have foreshadowed Diancie.

Watch Da Birdie

I think the only time in recent years that the movies didn't show a preview at the end was the Genesect/Mewtwo movie, which would have foreshadowed Diancie.

Nah, they usually don't reveal the Event Pokemon unless it's a pre-release one which Diancie wasn't.

I'm pretty sure we got a trailer featuring Xerneas and Yveltal. And then the first teaser for the Hoopa film was the Primal Reversions from ORAS.

It's pretty likely that the actual animated preview for next year will just be Solgaleo and Lunala- there's no real reason to show anything else.

If any reveals come, they'll be in the inevitable trailer for Sun and Moon to go with the movie, Patrat and Trevenant-style.

There's literally zero evidence that Eviolite is responsible for the lack of new Cross-Gen evos
No, but I'm pretty sure that all of the Mega Evos are for Pokemon at the end of the evolution line. I don't think they're going to suddenly tack on another evolution to those lines and have the Mega Evo be for some middle or first stage evolution.

Nah, they usually don't reveal the Event Pokemon unless it's a pre-release one which Diancie wasn't.

I'm pretty sure we got a trailer featuring Xerneas and Yveltal. And then the first teaser for the Hoopa film was the Primal Reversions from ORAS.

Oh that's what I meant, with one of the main stars for the next movie being shown at the end. I do remember that Victini was outright shown though.

Thinking about it, we don't even know the official title of the Sun/Moon anime yet, which I think is what they usually show at the end of the movies, we might not even get anything lol.

GoldStarz

No, but I'm pretty sure that all of the Mega Evos are for Pokemon at the end of the evolution line. I don't think they're going to suddenly tack on another evolution to those lines and have the Mega Evo be for some middle or first stage evolution.

ok sure but that's not what i was talking about at all. my only comment was on the idea that the creation of the eviolite put a stop to all non-eevee cross gen evos.

ok sure but that's not what i was talking about at all. my only comment was on the idea that the creation of the eviolite put a stop to all non-eevee cross gen evos.
If they really wanted to they could suddenly give eviolite boosts to those pokemon and no one would say anything. I don't why GF is insistent on keeping continuity with evolutions when they've already gone through with other retcons

GoldStarz

If they really wanted to they could suddenly give eviolite boosts to those pokemon and no one would say anything. I don't why GF is insistent on keeping continuity with evolutions when they've already gone through with other retcons

I really wish they cut that stuff out. I'm fine with location based evolutions since most of those are pretty easy to fit in, but the stuff like incenses are just kinda ridiculous, especially since they literally have retconned way major things in before (typings, move classes, effectivenesses, stats)

Watch Da Birdie

People are seeing the movie now, so if there's anything we'll know in an hour or so.

GoldStarz

Guess they figured revealing a mythical and having it be a movie's focus was enough promotion for Gen VII. Shame though the mass speculation that usually comes from this sort of thing is always fun, especially with big rumors coming about like this.

Yeah, Serebii says it just shows the starters and makes note that it's the 20th movie. We probably won't get a hint about it until the games are actually out.

There's supposed to be Sun/Moon gameplay on Pokenchi tonight, but we shouldn't really expect much outside a few seconds, if even that.

Forkball

Megas are crazy OP and the main balancing tactic is prohibiting them from holding items since they use the Mega Stone.

Also Megas are almost certainly designed to be ridiculous as possible and marketing the now non-fully evolved Pokemon may be hard. I mean people aren't buying Charmeleon toys.

Also I don't want every Pokemon to have a three stage evolution. Heck, some should never evolve at all in my mind.

Randdalf

I'm not sure I agree with this. Whilst yes, they could have made new evolutions instead of megas, most of the megas are not designed as second or third tier evolutions of that Pokémon. A lot of them are designed as the same Pokémon with more bells and whistles, but fundementally a skew on the same design. Or to put it another way, nearly all the mega Pokémon designs are exaggerated versions of the base Pokémon, which is not true of actual evolutions, where the Pokémon can change drastically in size, shape and colour, only retaining a few common characteristics. I think you could definitely argue there are some exceptions to both these rules, but for the most part I think mega Pokémon have a distinctly different design philosophy to actual evolutions.

Seiniyta

They could always come up with a concept where Mega-Evolutions are turned into regular evolution through a new process for certain pokemon. And I can see them doing it. Not sure they'll always support Mega-evolutions (gameplay wise) but still wanting to keep having the designs for them.

Meffer

Yeah, Serebii says it just shows the starters and makes note that it's the 20th movie. We probably won't get a hint about it until the games are actually out.

There's supposed to be Sun/Moon gameplay on Pokenchi tonight, but we shouldn't really expect much outside a few seconds, if even that.
"OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH SUGOIIII!!!"

Nictel

Here's the easiest prediction ever: This is going be one if not the most popular Pokemon games.

I haven't played since Blue and I am seriously considering buying a 3DS after playing Pokemon Go.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I sort of agree with the statement above re: Megas. They're fine on some Pokemon, like the starters. Nothing additional was going to happen to Venusaur; giving it a special "Burst Mode" is fine by me (although Charizard going two sucks and is just ridiculous favouritism). I'm even okay with some two-stages - Mega-Steelix is fine, Steelix was always rather powerful and it's difficult to see what they could have done with a straight up evolution that wasn't just moving stats around rather than being an actual increase in power.

Some Megas, though, really just piss me of because that line definitely needed another proper evolution and didn't deserve to be shut down like that. The Megas of Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Heracross, Houndoom, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Absol, Abomasnow, Slowbro, Sableye, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Altaria, Glalie, Lopunny, and Audino all would have conceptually worked as just plain evolutions (with lower base stat totals, obviously), and not wasted the potential of these lines - especially considering about half of those Megas aren't even worth using in the first place, meaning that not only are some of these lines useless, they are now *permanently* useless because there is no chance of any extension to that line in the future.

Also, the Mega mechanic as a whole is just not that fun or interesting. You can work out almost immediately whether your opponent is using a Mega, either because a lot of Pokemon with Megas are not that good before Mega-evolving, or because of hold item effects, and for many of them it makes the entire flow of a battle concentrated around the respective Megas on either teams, diminishing the impact of everything else.

Honestly, it can't really be undone now, but it was one of the worst things to be done to the series for a while, to me. If the mechanic had to exist, I'd have preferred it if, I don't know, some Pokemon just automatically triggered to Megas if they hit 1/3rd HP as a kind of Break Limit, and the Pokemon that could do this were more or less restricted to the starter lines, the pseudos, and maybe a few additionals like the Alakazam and Gengar lines.

As it was, it was just given to too many Pokemon that felt like unfinished business.

Top Bottom