• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

.JayZii

Banned
I'd be fine if there were no megas, but I don't have a problem with them either.
Okay well, it's very nice that you don't like Megas but holy shit my friend try not to be so reductive and insulting.

I like Megas (which is good because they aren't leaving), and I'm not a small, attentionless child.
How's that sippy cup, though?

Revven

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do about them if I was Game Freak. They ruin the SP campaign if they're available during the campaign given how strong they are unless literally all AI opponents also use them, and if AI opponents do, then Megas lock players into using one of the relatively small pool of Pokemon that actually does have a Mega. You can leave them as just something for the post-game, which means they only ruin competitive play, but you can see that Nintendo does actually place some value on competitive play, as evidenced by the change to IVs this gen.

I don't think they need to remove the concept in and of itself, but if I were Game Freak I'd be looking at changing the mechanic pretty heavily. I certainly wouldn't make status quo Megas a headline feature.

I think there's a good chance Megas will be reworked but they probably won't be introducing any new Megas because of the Alola variants and Z Moves. The Megas that exist will be the only ones now unless they really feel the need to add more to that.

How they rework it, I couldn't guess. But it would be very unusual for those forms to just be dumped as far as actual Pokemon content is concerned. Little Jimmy who worked so hard to trade for an Aggron with Aggronite would be so upset if Mega Aggron isn't available in Sun/Moon.

I don't even think we've seen GF just completely toss a ton of evolutions to the wayside, making them completely unavailable to use in a generation period. Yes, you can't obtain some Pokemon in regions in each generation but they've allowed you to get them via transferring from previous games and so on. That isn't the same as completely erasing Mega evolutions as if they never existed.

I can see it for the single player, by de-emphasizing the focus on Megas because it's a new region far away from Kalos and Hoenn. But not from a content standpoint where the Pokemon forms are completely unobtainable/unusable and/or flat out "erased" in terms of the key items not existing and neither the Megas on the carts. Post-game stuff for sure. And then maybe rebalancing all of the Mega forms or something or like I said, reworking them in another way while keeping the evolutions; maybe we lose the stones but not the forms somehow.

On the flip side, there's two things that make Megas "easy" to just toss to the wayside:

1) The fact PokeBank doesn't let you keep items on your 'Mons, therefore you can't even bring the mega stones from X/Y/ORAS to Sun/Moon anyway (unless you have an additional 3DS and trade that way instead of transferring).

and

2) The Pokedex doesn't count those forms in it so technically they don't exist anyway

Dr. Worm

Banned
Okay well, it's very nice that you don't like Megas but holy shit my friend try not to be so reductive and insulting.

I like Megas (which is good because they aren't leaving), and I'm not a small, attentionless child.

My comment wasn't directed toward you.

Mega Evolution, like the series as a whole, has crossover appeal between demographics. Don't be ashamed of your tastes.

JoeM86

I think there's a good chance Megas will be reworked but they probably won't be introducing any new Megas because of the Alola variants and Z Moves. The Megas that exist will be the only ones now unless they really feel the need to add more to that.

How they rework it, I couldn't guess. But it would be very unusual for those forms to just be dumped as far as actual Pokemon content is concerned. Little Jimmy who worked so hard to trade for an Aggron with Aggronite would be so upset if Mega Aggron isn't available in Sun/Moon.

I don't even think we've seen GF just completely toss a ton of evolutions to the wayside, making them completely unavailable to use in a generation period. Yes, you can't obtain some Pokemon in regions in each generation but they've allowed you to get them via transferring from previous games and so on. That isn't the same as completely erasing Mega evolutions as if they never existed.

I can see it for the single player, by de-emphasizing the focus on Megas because it's a new region far away from Kalos and Hoenn. But not from a content standpoint where the Pokemon forms are completely unobtainable/unusable and/or flat out "erased" in terms of the key items not existing and neither the Megas on the carts. Post-game stuff for sure. And then maybe rebalancing all of the Mega forms or something or like I said, reworking them in another way while keeping the evolutions; maybe we lose the stones but not the forms somehow.

I very much doubt they will rework or alter Megas. Alter a couple abilities, sure, but they wouldn't fundamentally change Megas. That's not going to happen. Let go of that fantasy right now.

Revven

I very much doubt they will rework or alter Megas. Alter a couple abilities, sure, but they wouldn't fundamentally change Megas. That's not going to happen. Let go of that fantasy right now.

It's not a fantasy, I'm not really pushing for it. I'm just making an educated guess. Relax. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I could see one's taste in Mega Pokemon being based on how much anime and Japanese media they consume...

If you're really into stuff like that a series like Pokemon introducing form changes and such isn't that weird, but if Pokemon is basically your only JRPG you really play and you don't touch much Japanese media, and Pokemon is one of the more localized series out there so that's certainly possible, it might feel a bit odd to see Japanese-y tropes influencing Pokemon.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah right...let's give it another month or two lol. We might still end up with a lot of megas. Im still expecting either kalos or johto megas

JoeM86

I'm not expecting many, if any, new Mega Evolutions in this game. In the generation? Probably. In this game? No, I think the focus is elsewhere.

Contrary to what people argue, Mega Evolutions are new Pokémon in all but number and they're not going anywhere. The concept won't be reworked.

I like the idea that they're saving any new Megas for future remakes. I can't see them removing them outright, but I also can't see them adding new ones in S/M when Z-moves appear to be taking their place.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do you guys think they'll keep all the Alola Variants with the same BST as the originals, re-distributed of course, so there's no (in theory) more "powerful" variant?

Also if they're planning to add in Megas in future Gen VII games, like DP-remakes or something, wonder if any will slip through into the code of Sun and Moon. I'd love for them to get around the problem with XY-ORAS connectivity and give all planned Megas placeholders.

backlot

I'm not expecting many, if any, new Mega Evolutions in this game. In the generation? Probably. In this game? No, I think the focus is elsewhere.

Contrary to what people argue, Mega Evolutions are new Pokémon in all but number and they're not going anywhere. The concept won't be reworked.

I feel like multiplayer battles will get stale very quickly if Megas are still as prominent as they are in gen 6 and they don't introduce any new ones.

I hope they're reworked to not be as powerful because the idea of Battlespot teams with one mega and one Z-move seems like a massive power creep.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah they might as well not only keep adding megas but keep adding more stuff that can compete, seems like they're not looking back. Nerfing is for sissies they just gotta keep adding more broken stuff and then eventually there'll be a lot of broken stuff to choose from lol

If they don't add megas gen 7 will also be mega kanghasalameargle 4ever

Dr. Worm

Banned
I hope they're reworked to not be as powerful because the idea of Battlespot teams with one mega and one Z-move seems like a massive power creep.

Hmm...

I wonder if they'd make Mega Evolution and Z-Moves mutually exclusive? Once you use one, you can't use the other.

Probably would suck for Z-Moves, though, since Mega Evolution would appear to have the leg up on those.

Have we seen any megas in sun/moon yet?

Until we see otherwise, I do think they're going to be a gen 6 gimmick. I had assumed megas were being replaced by synchro or whatever the whole ash greninja thing is officially called, but I guess it's actually z moves which are replacing it.

JoeM86

I feel like multiplayer battles will get stale very quickly if Megas are still as prominent as they are in gen 6 and they don't introduce any new ones.

Nerf Parental Bond and remove the 30% boost -ate abilities give and it won't be as stale as you think.

Until we see otherwise, I do think they're going to be a gen 6 gimmick. I had assumed megas were being replaced by synchro or whatever the whole ash greninja thing is officially called, but I guess it's actually z moves which are replacing it.

Megas will be in it. Mark my words.

.JayZii

Banned

The French invented photography, crepes, blowjobs and mega evolution.

Only the first three will be in Pokemon Sun and Moon.

If they're going to nerf the -ate abilities, I'd hope they nerf aerialate and not pixelate and Fridgerate. The pokemon there kinda need them.

JoeM86

I think Mega Pokemon will be in the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were banned from high level play.

Why would they be? Megas aren't the problem with it, and they're pretty well balanced. It's Kangaskhan and, to a lesser extent, Salamence that is the issue

Neiteio

Megas are the best feature they've added since abilities in Gen 3. There's a ton of depth from the "will he/won't he" mind-games of Mega evolving, as well as changing typing and/or abilities mid-match, gaining/losing stats, and sacrificing another hold item for this option. Battles are much more exciting for the addition of Megas, and refreshing old favorites with new designs has been a blast for us long-time fans. :)

egruntz

shelaughz
lmao at all these people thinking Megas will be removed or reworked...
Why on Earth would that happen? What's leading you guys to these "educated guesses?"

Sandfox

Why would they be? Megas aren't the problem with it, and they're pretty well balanced. It's Kangaskhan and, to a lesser extent, Salamence that is the issue
I think quite a few notable competitive players actually disagree with this and we'll see how Game Freak reacts.
lmao at all these people thinking Megas will be removed or reworked...
Why on Earth would that happen? What's leading you guys to these "educated guesses?"
Why would they leave them exactly as they are? At the very least they will have to throw around some nerfs.

Neiteio

I think Megas are staying, although I suspect they may have a lighter presence in Sun/Moon, at least in terms of new additions. The remakes and "third versions" will probably be where we see the bulk of new Megas, since it'll give those games something to market.

I look forward to Mega Torterra, Mega Infernape and Mega Empoleon in the inevitable Gen 4 remakes. Maybe they can give the Gen 2 starters some Mega love, as well.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
No way are they gonna throw out a feature they spent the whole of last gen promoting through in-game importance, merchandise, and even OVAs. They're too popular. The practically created another timeline within the series to accommodate them. They'll be in Sun and Moon for sure. The reason we haven't seen any yet is that it's yesterday's feature. We've already spent a lot of time with the mechanic, and they want to promote the new, eye catching stuff first.

I bet we'll be seeing them crop up closer to release, and I bet we'll be seeing some new ones too. The pizazz of them has slightly worn off due to being present since X and Y, and won't take spot light away from the new features. They'll be treated and received in the same way as normal evolutions. For example, if Mega Bellosom was announced, I still reckon people would be more excited for an Alola variant.

My main concern is how they'll interact with the variants. I'd rather not have all variants share one mega. It takes away the uniqueness of that variant to have it mega evolve into something that's basically a powered up form of its original concept. I don't think anyone would be impressed if the rumored Fighting Alakazam mega evolves into its Psychic form. Then again, it'll be hard work for GF to implement a different mega for each variant. My hope is that the variant can't mega evolve until they've constructed a specifically designed mega for it, such as the Alolan Alakazam being locked out of the present Alakazamite. This'll give time for the the Alolan forms to grow on us and get the most out of them unti GF pull the mega card and make them all sparkly fresh again. It prevents them from being cheapened by taking on the original's mega, and, again, gives us time to get the most out of them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm what if Bond Phenomenon is pokemon amie in steroids

So Froakie knew it had a hidden power which is why it could never get along with those other trainers until it picked Ash? Interesting.

yeah basically he saw Ash being a "vet" trainer and picked him since he could possibly be the key to his potential.

Pokemaniac

Hmm...

I wonder if they'd make Mega Evolution and Z-Moves mutually exclusive? Once you use one, you can't use the other.

Probably would suck for Z-Moves, though, since Mega Evolution would appear to have the leg up on those.

Pretty sure the site indicates that a held item will be necessary for Z-moves. Mega Rayquayza aside, you can't stack them, at least not on the same Pokémon.

JoeM86

I think quite a few notable competitive players actually disagree with this and we'll see how Game Freak reacts.

Many think Dark Void is a problem. Dark Void isn't a problem. If in VGC 2014 and 2015 you used a Dark Void Smeargle, you were laughed at.

It's Dark Void combined with the power of Primals.

Just because competitive players may think it doesn't mean they are right.

No way are they gonna throw out a feature they spent the whole of last gen promoting through in-game importance, merchandise, and even OVAs. They're too popular. The practically created another timeline within the series to accommodate them. They'll be in Sun and Moon for sure. The reason we haven't seen any yet is that it's yesterday's feature. We've already spent a lot of time with the mechanic, and they want to promote the new, eye catching stuff first.

I bet we'll be seeing them crop up closer to release, and I bet we'll be seeing some new ones too. The pizazz of them has slightly worn off due to being present since X and Y, and won't take spot light away from the new features. They'll be treated and received in the same way as normal evolutions. For example, if Mega Bellosom was announced, I still reckon people would be more excited for an Alola variant.

My main concern is how they'll interact with the variants. I'd rather not have all variants share one mega. It takes away the uniqueness of that variant to have it mega evolve into something that's basically a powered up form of its original concept. I don't think anyone would be impressed if the rumored Fighting Alakazam mega evolves into its Psychic form. Then again, it'll be hard work for GF to implement a different mega for each variant. My hope is that the variant can't mega evolve until they've constructed a specifically designed mega for it, such as the Alolan Alakazam being locked out of the present Alakazamite. This'll give time for the the Alolan forms to grow on us and get the most out of them unti GF pull the mega card and make them all sparkly fresh again. It prevents them from being cheapened by taking on the original's mega, and, again, gives us time to get the most out of them.

I doubt any Pokémon with Mega Evolutions will have Alola Forms

brinstar

I really wanna see more starters get mega forms at least. I feel like the Johto starters more than any desperately need some kind of boost.

Im starting to think maybe the z-moves would be a counter to a mega, unless that move is also available to the mega. but even then if it can be a trump card for people since you can only use one mega per match that move could help take one out or give you a different strategy where it doesnt have to involve a mega.

Megas won't be able to use Z moves, no.
Do you guys think they'll keep all the Alola Variants with the same BST as the originals, re-distributed of course, so there's no (in theory) more "powerful" variant?

Also if they're planning to add in Megas in future Gen VII games, like DP-remakes or something, wonder if any will slip through into the code of Sun and Moon. I'd love for them to get around the problem with XY-ORAS connectivity and give all planned Megas placeholders.

Yeah I don't understand why last gen they didn't just patch the new megas in with DLC. It's 2016.

Many think Dark Void is a problem. Dark Void isn't a problem. If in VGC 2014 and 2015 you used a Dark Void Smeargle, you were laughed at.

It's Dark Void combined with the power of Primals.

Just because competitive players may think it doesn't mean they are right.

I doubt any Pokémon with Mega Evolutions will have Alola Forms

My only issue with dark void is that I think wide guard should be able to block it. No idea what they were thinking there.

---

So I wonder how powerful the Z-crystal moves will be? 150 BP, or will they go higher with maybe 180 or even 200 BP.

And I wonder if they'll all be super powerful moves. Will some be weaker, but maybe induce status effects instead?

I could see the ghost type one inflicting curse, plus trapping it's target instead of being super powerful.

Or the dark-type one lowering it's targets attacking stats instead of dealing damage.

Also have a niggling feeling Z crystals will be the key to unlocking Arceus's mega form. Someone needs to be able to put Rayquaza back in it's place.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Not quite.

It's more Pokémon can use the move of any type of move it knows, so Pikachu should be able to use the Grass Z Move due to Grass Knot

ah, that's a bit better but still less complex than megas xD wonder if this will make set up / support pokes even better since they can get a nuke

MiTYH

Wow, I really can't believe so many people think Megas will be removed.

It won't be the focus of the game, like X/Y had it, but more in the game like ORAS. Scattered throughout, and probably mostly rare to find until endgame. I wouldnt be surprised if the E4 Leader, or whatever it's called in this new thing, or totem pokemon, was a mega of a new gen pokemon

Not quite.

It's more Pokémon can use the move of any type of move it knows, so Pikachu should be able to use the Grass Z Move due to Grass Knot

Hunh, I didn't think of that. That's actually a lot better in my opinion. Seeing a Pikachu and thinking "Here comes powered up Electric Zmove" wasn't doing it for me. But if it can use that, or grass, or steel (iron tail) or hell even water for the rare surf varities, that'd be awesome (also, flying for that pikachu. Lots of potential there)

backlot

Fairy-types are now wrecked due to everything having access to Toxic and thus the Poison-type Z Move

I wonder if coverage Z moves will prove to be that popular. Toxic wouldn't really fit an offensive Pokemon that well so in a case like this you'd be devoting 1/4th of your moveset to a one time use move. I guess it also comes down to how strong Z moves are. Would a non-STAB Z move be able to take down a bulky fairy like Sylveon?

I wonder if coverage Z moves will prove to be that popular. Toxic wouldn't really fit an offensive Pokemon that well so in a case like this you'd be devoting 1/4th of your moveset to a one time use move. I guess it also comes down to how strong Z moves are. Would a non-STAB Z move be able to take down a bulky fairy like Sylveon?

I think in vgc doubles they will be. The gems were really popular in gen 5 and they only boosted generally one of your pokemon's moves and only once per battle.

backlot

So since ivs can be maxed easily will breeding be only necessary for egg moves?

Depends on how rare bottle caps are and how quickly you can power level. It could still turn out that it's faster to breed for IVs whenever its an option.

Other than egg moves and IVs though, you also have to consider nature and ability. As far as we know right now there's no way to change a Pokemon's nature or change a normal ability to a hidden ability.

I think in vgc doubles they will be. The gems were really popular in gen 5 and they only boosted generally one of your pokemon's moves and only once per battle.

Yeah, but they were always STAB gems to get the most power. They could also still use those STAB attacks after the gem was gone. If you're using a status move to get a coverage Z move you'd be missing out on a potentially more powerful STAB Z move and you only get one shot and your coverage is gone completely.

Depends on how rare bottle caps are and how quickly you can power level. It could still turn out that it's faster to breed for IVs whenever its an option.

Other than egg moves and IVs though, you also have to consider nature and ability. As far as we know right now there's no way to change a Pokemon's nature or change a normal ability to a hidden ability.

Yeah, but they were always STAB gems to get the most power. They could also still use those STAB attacks after the gem was gone. If you're using a status move to get a coverage Z move you'd be missing out on a potentially more powerful STAB Z move and you only get one shot and your coverage is gone completely.
Good points forgot about natures.

Razmos

So since ivs can be maxed easily will breeding be only necessary for egg moves?
We don't know how rare bottle caps are or how limited they may be. Breeding pokemon for good IV's and then finishing them off with IV training if you have the right combination of abilities/moves/shiny ect will probably be the way to do it

Dr. Worm

Banned
Pretty sure the site indicates that a held item will be necessary for Z-moves. Mega Rayquayza aside, you can't stack them, at least not on the same Pokémon.

I meant across the whole team. It would be:

If your Charizard goes Mega, your Pikachu can't use Bloom Doom. If Pikachu uses Bloom Doom, Charizard can't go Mega.

Top Bottom