• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

I can't see Team Preview as anything other than good. I suppose it takes from the metagame aspects of "dedicated leads" but in return grants a legitimately interesting decision for what pokemon to lead off. So it's a trade off from the metagame to the main game and I think it was a good choice.

On Power Creep, I would not mind some megas being nerfed and further bringing older pokemon up to speed. But I would hope an average spread is figured out and there it remains.

I can't see Team Preview as anything other than good. I suppose it takes from the metagame aspects of "dedicated leads" but in return grants a legitimately interesting decision for what pokemon to lead off. So it's a trade off from the metagame to the main game and I think it was a good choice.

On Power Creep, I would not mind some megas being nerfed and further bringing older pokemon up to speed. But I would hope an average spread is figured out and there it remains.

Like I said, team preview is entirely a personal thing, it's not some gripe I have, something I just sorta wish was back.

I guess I sorta miss the old lead metagame and the larger utility of scout pokemon. The fact that leads made a metagame of their own was fun, along with the deception you could play with it all (what's my opponent's first response to xyz pokemon)

But with megas, there's 0 way I'd be for team preview to go. Would make all my gripes with megas 100x worse

Siege.exe

I'd much rather have a more diverse team with each member being able to counter some of its weaknesses than needing something dedicated to protecting another member of the team. Having those things is still a totally valid way to balance your team, but now it feels a lot safer to have less popularly used Pokemon hang out on your team and still be effective than in the past.

Neiteio

Okay, well

I disagree that Mega Evolution relates to a Pokemon's species in the same way as a type, evolution method, or anything else really. Mega Evolution is, as I said, innate to a species because we have no proof that it's anything to the contrary. Alakazam could mega evolve before people discovered that it can, because it's a trait innate to the Pokemon.

What makes Alolan Sandslash a "Sandslash?" Design elements? Because that's the only discernible thing to me. So if these Alolan forms came from the species that we already know, that means they share some basic biology with them, and I believe mega evolution is part of that (because of how we've been told that's the case more or less).

It just doesn't make sense for an Alolan Pokemon, which literally descended from the old ones, to not have the same access to a mega form that the previous iteration has. I'm not saying they'll do it, but according to how the existing mechanics and storytelling work, all new Alola forms share the "Mega" trait with their ancestors. It's logic. The newly discovered form should have a mega that reflects the biological changes of the Pokemon because it's the same species.

Mega is not relatable to anything else, at all, like Exeggutor's type or the evolution method to get from Vulpix to Ninetails.

Alakazam -> Mega Alakazam when holding Alakazite

Alakazam (A) -> Mega Alakazam (A) when holding Alakazite (A)
This is like Neoxon levels of arbitrary rule-making you're committing here.

An Alolan form's design, concept, type, ability, move set and stats can all dramatically change. So nothing is off limits. Megas were never integral to the spirit of a Pokemon any more than its original typing. If that can change, so too can whether it has a Mega. There is nothing in the series to say otherwise. Nothing.

Game Freak isn't bound by your madeup logic. If they want to give an Alolan form a Mega the original never had, or vice-versa, they can do so. There is no explicit or implied rule requiring symmetry. Heck, the Alolan forms of Sandshrew, Sandslash and Ninetales have already thrown symmetry out the window by becoming dual-types.

Sandfox

Sandslash is probably going to continuing sucking unless they buff ice types in a big way defensively or give it some amazing hidden ability.

Neiteio

Maybe Ice-types will get buffed. Or maybe they're supposed to be weak defensively but strong offensively. A glass cannon, in other words. Fitting, for something made of ice!

Maybe Ice-types will get buffed. Or maybe they're supposed to be weak defensively but strong offensively. A glass cannon, in other words. Fitting, for something made of ice!

Too bad about Game Freak's obsession with bulky, slow Ice types.

And a bunch of water types having access to Ice Beam XD

Sandfox

My issue with that is how every other type is allowed to be both with even Steel getting an offensive buff in favor of some of it's resistances.

Neiteio

My issue with that is how every other type is allowed to be both with even Steel getting an offensive buff in favor of some of it's resistances.
Yeah, I'd like to see balance changes made buffing Ice-types. I was just speculating how the devs might be thinking.

Neiteio

SCENE: A suburban neighborhood on a hot summer day. A jingle can be heard down the street. The doors crash open on each house, as Pokemon of all types pour outside, running down the street with dollar bills in hand.

ALL: "It's the Ice Beam Truck! It's the Ice Beam Truck!"

And then everyone had Ice Beam. The end!

Siege.exe

Gaining a resistance or two wouldn't completely "fix" Ice types, but it'd at least allow them to stand a chance switching into an attack. Resisting two types out of Water, Grass, Bug, and Flying would go a long way, and it doesn't make sense that Ice currently only resists Ice when it has such huge weaknesses.

I'd also argue that Rock types should resist Electric, but that would be an insanely big buff to certain Pokemon.

Neiteio

Gaining a resistance or two wouldn't completely "fix" Ice types, but it'd at least allow them to stand a chance switching into an attack. Resisting two types out of Water, Grass, Bug, and Flying would go a long way, and it doesn't make sense that Ice currently only resists Ice when it has such huge weaknesses.

I'd also argue that Rock types should resist Electric, but that would be an insanely big buff to certain Pokemon.
Oh wow, this is some pretty eye-opening stuff. I actually didn't know that Ice didn't resist Water... or anything, other than Ice. That's crazy. Why would Ice -not- resist Water? Unless it was hot water, I suppose.

Oh wow, this is some pretty eye-opening stuff. I actually didn't know that Ice didn't resist Water... or anything, other than Ice. That's crazy. Why would Ice -not- resist Water? Unless it was hot water, I suppose.

Because Game Freak

How to Make the Ice Type Decent:
1) Let it resist Water, and get rid of water's resist (maybe become supereffective?)
2) Get rid of one of its 3 weaknesses? Rock hurts because SR, Fighting/Fire are good offensive types. Rock or Fighting makes sense here

3) Give it something to compete with Fairy as Dragon Killer. Resist to Dragon?
4) Some other random resist or two

There, ice types dont have the worst defensive type in the game automatically

Honestly thought with gen 6 that ice would get some interaction with fairy to buff it, like Fire and Poison did

CazTGG

Ice has always been a bit of a glass cannon type, one with the ability to hit a lot of either powerful (Dragon, Ground) or common type Pokémon (Grass, Flying). What Game Freak needs to do is stop pairing up Ice with horrible combinations (see: Aurorus, Abomasnow), the worst kind of weather with no benefit beyond 100% Blizzard (Sandstorm boosts tanking capabilities of Rock, Sun allows greater healing in addition to 1 turn Solar Beam, etc.), give them better moves (Freeze Dry is a step in the right direction but it's just that) and better movepools for existing Ice-type Pokémon and stop making them slow as heck so they won't be hit by one of their many weaknesses and be able to land an attack.

Oh and making them immune to/super effective against Fairy-type would be a huge boost to them/curb to the dominance of Fairy types in the metagame.

Siege.exe

Because Game Freak

How to Make the Ice Type Decent:
1) Let it resist Water, and get rid of water's resist (maybe become supereffective?)
2) Get rid of one of its 3 weaknesses? Rock hurts because SR, Fighting/Fire are good offensive types. Rock or Fighting makes sense here

3) Give it something to compete with Fairy as Dragon Killer. Resist to Dragon?
4) Some other random resist or two

There, ice types dont have the worst defensive type in the game automatically

Honestly thought with gen 6 that ice would get some interaction with fairy to buff it, like Fire and Poison did
I don't think Ice needs as dramatic of a buff as you're suggesting, at least not all at once or all of those things combined. Giving it options is one thing, making it jump from worst to top 5 is another. Gaining resistance to Water and one other type I could totally get behind, but resisting Dragon when Fairy was just introduced would be a bit much. I'd be against any type losing a weakness entirely, even if one of them would be against an already strong offensive type.

Sandfox

Ice has always been a bit of a glass cannon type, one with the ability to hit a lot of either powerful (Dragon, Ground) or common type Pokémon (Grass, Flying). What Game Freak needs to do is stop pairing up Ice with horrible combinations (see: Aurorus, Abomasnow), the worst kind of weather with no benefit beyond 100% Blizzard (Sandstorm boosts tanking capabilities of Rock, Sun allows greater healing in addition to 1 turn Solar Beam, etc.), give them better moves (Freeze Dry is a step in the right direction but it's just that) and better movepools for existing Ice-type Pokémon and stop making them slow as heck so they won't be hit by one of their many weaknesses and be able to land an attack.

Oh and making them immune to/super effective against Fairy-type would be a huge boost to them/curb to the dominance of Fairy types in the metagame.

I wouldn't even say the type necessarily needs better moves to fix their issues. The typing and moveset things are definitely the biggest issue.

I don't think Ice needs as dramatic of a buff as you're suggesting, at least not all at once or all of those things combined. Giving it options is one thing, making it jump from worst to top 5 is another. Gaining resistance to Water and one other type I could totally get behind, but resisting Dragon when Fairy was just introduced would be a bit much. I'd be against any type losing a weakness entirely, even if one of them would be against an already strong offensive type.
Fairy is immune to dragon. Is there any other type resistant to dragon? I don't see the big deal in giving it at least that. I mean a lot of dragon types can learn fire and fighting moves as a counter

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fairy is immune to dragon. Is there any other type resistant to dragon? I don't see the big deal in giving it at least that. I mean a lot of dragon types can learn fire and fighting moves as a counter

Steel too. I think those are the only two types that resist/are immune to Dragon

Why is ice even realistically weak to rock tho. They should definitely remove that.

Sandslash is probably going to continuing sucking unless they buff ice types in a big way defensively or give it some amazing hidden ability.

It only has 3 weaknesses.

Fire X4
Fighting X4
Ground X2

If the stats are there, if it has one of those HA that lessens the damage of super effective or a better HA, good move pool, and the ability to hold a item would make Sandslash a legit option for a competitive team. That's alot of "if's"

:-(

Steel typing helped with with its Rock weakness. I do agree with Ice typing needing a buff this gen.

Skeletonic

Neo Member
Why is ice even realistically weak to rock tho. They should definitely remove that.

I disagree, I've always rationalized this rather easily: I'd rather get hit with a ball of snow or ice than a big rock. A rock has more smashing power, generally speaking, than ice. Sure, ice can destroy rocks but it takes a long time. I think most of the type weakness/strengths work out that way--you can't back them with hard science but they ring true in a general, gamey sense.

Strimei

I've always thought rock was weak to ice in return, but apparently its just a one way thing and its ice weak to rock.

That makes no sense to me. Like, I think of it like how water can get into cracks and then expand as ice and crack open a rock. Not rock cracking ice.

I disagree, I've always rationalized this rather easily: I'd rather get hit with a ball of snow or ice than a big rock. A rock has more smashing power, generally speaking, than ice. Sure, ice can destroy rocks but it takes a long time. I think most of the type weakness/strengths work out that way--you can't back them with hard science but they ring true in a general, gamey sense.
I think if you got hit with the same weight of ice as you would a rock it would hurt just as much. Like what's heavier a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? They're both one pound and if anyone throws a pound of nearly any solid object at you it'll probably hurt

Strimei

Pokemon type relationships don't all make sense. Glaciers carve mountains.

A fair amount do make sense but there are always those few that are just bizarre.

Like, I never fully understood why steel was immune to poison. Poison is supposed to be corrosive and whatnot, what better to melt through steel than acid and the like?

A fair amount do make sense but there are always those few that are just bizarre.

Like, I never fully understood why steel was immune to poison. Poison is supposed to be corrosive and whatnot, what better to melt through steel than acid and the like?
Poison isn't corrosive, acid is. If a snake left some venom on a steel plate it's not going to do shit which is why steel is immune.

Poisons effectiveness relies on getting into the internals of a Pokemon which it can't with steel types since their skin is so dense I guess

I remember walking to my Junior High during winter time and a bully threw and hit me on the side of my head with a chunk of ice just bigger than a base ball. I don't remember anything after that for that day and the following day. I was told the side of my upper head on the right side was bleeding and someone saw what happened grabbed me by the hand and took me to the school. I don't remember my mother coming in and taking me to the hospital or anything. Hell, it was other students that saw what happened told me who did it.

Long story short, you don't want to get hit with ice or rocks.

Sandfox

It only has 3 weaknesses.

Fire X4
Fighting X4
Ground X2

If the stats are there, if it has one of those HA that lessens the damage of super effective or a better HA, good move pool, and the ability to hold a item would make Sandslash a legit option for a competitive team. That's alot of "if's"

:-(

Steel typing helped with with its Rock weakness. I do agree with Ice typing needing a buff this gen.

The description on the website implies that it's going to be slow and that combined with those weaknesses isn't a good look.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got an ice version of Sand Rush though.

EulaCapra

I'm glad we're talking about poor Ice types here. I've always thought they should change it to be at least:

not very effective against: Fire, Ice, Water
resist: Ice, Water

Ice Pokemon should definitely resist Water attacks considering these fools freeze liquid. But at the same time, Water Pokemon should still resist Ice attacks since aquatic life can survive in colder climates. But Steel types should definitely not resist Ice attacks anymore. Sometimes I just think of a new Pokemon type like Cosmic that can finally boost Grass and Ice. :sigh:

I'm glad we're talking about poor Ice types here. I've always thought they should change it to be at least:

not very effective against: Fire, Ice, Water
resist: Ice, Water

Ice Pokemon should definitely resist Water attacks considering these fools freeze liquid. But at the same time, Water Pokemon should still resist Ice attacks since aquatic life can survive in colder climates. But Steel types should definitely not resist Ice attacks anymore. Sometimes I just think of a new Pokemon type like Cosmic that can finally boost Grass and Ice. :sigh:

Can't ice potentially really mess up metal?

Also Dex leak whereeee
Edit:nvm
I can entirely believe they'd name it Robinroot so I'm inclined to believe this is real. But that split evo seems to be real to if this really is real and I love that idea but.
Housecat>panther>tiger????

The description on the website implies that it's going to be slow and that combined with those weaknesses isn't a good look.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got an ice version of Sand Rush though.

Yeah I'm aware of its lower speed.

Hail? That's the ice version of Sand Storm right?

Hail needs to be buffed to Sandstorm levels(I'm not familiar with Hail as of this post, will go to Serebii after). Maybe add in a additional 20% chance of a non ice type Pokémon being frozen during a Hail storm. Ice types gets a increase to one of their defenses and a % damage increase for ice type attacks.

Give Sandslash a HA that he/she takes 50% less damage from all attacks during a Hail storm.

The meta game is mostly build on who could get their attacks/moves off first. Maybe or atleast I'm hoping that GameFreak could slow ot down alittle.

Top Bottom