• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

I plan on doing a Nuzlocke my second playthrough.

Also, your rules are slightly different than the ones I've commonly heard (the evolution rule and item rules are things I usually dont hear)

The evolution rule is specifically to prevent getting more then one of the same Pokemon at the same time. It's not something that happens often but without it I've run into problems before like I catch a Weedle outside of the forest then later the first thing I see in the forest is a Kakuna, without this rule I should catch the Kakuna but then what about my Weedle, does that mean I can't evolve it since I already caught its evolution? Should I release the Weedle I've already trained up just because I caught its evolution? Should I use both but then what about the dupes clause? Adding this rule doesn't really change much in how things play out it just prevents me from having to add even more complicated rules on top of the already existing rules if that situation does turn up.

The items rule that I'm using in my Fire Red Nuzlocke was just an idea I had to make things a bit different then I normally do, first time ever using it and its made some harrowing experiences (such as poison being a HUGE freaking problem since I cannot buy antidotes XD) but normally I just go either with no healing/items in battle (except Pokeballs of course) or like I plan to do with Sun/Moon and use items only during boss battles and only a limited amount. Without this generally at the end of the game you can just buy like 100 hyper/max potions and just have a somewhat tanky Pokemon eat all the super hard hitting attacks and just heal through it until they run out of PP (which I've seen happen in Team Four Stars Nuzlockes) which I just don't find fun, it feels like cheating... Although that said, some of the champion battles and others can be absolutely insane without any healing at all.

Yes I think about this kind of thing way to much, all of my lets play series I've done for my youtube channel are all about adding crazy rules to make relatively easy games much much harder (thus why I call them Challenge Mode) and its a lot of fun to just think about crazy things you can do as the player to make things much more difficult without making anything TOO complicated (as that is easy to do, especially with Nuzlockes).

Really though the thing I love about Nuzlockes is that there are hundreds of different rules you can try and use and just find the ones you like that make it the most interesting to you, personally I've always leaned towards the standard rules with a few extra things to make it slightly harder (such as the item rule) although the Dupes rule really isn't significant in the newer Pokemon games where even the first routes can have completely different Pokemon its more so used in the older games where like half the freaking world has various Pidgeys and Ratattas.

I will never understand the difficulty meme. Pokemon was never hard but for what it's worth people have said that this is challenging compared to other entries.

Yeah, I don't really think Red and Blue were that difficult. I've been replaying a bit of Red, in advance of this. There's some poor balancing compared to modern entries, and there are plenty of QoL improvements that have been made since then, but they're not much harder. We were all just a lot younger, and dumber, when we played those games.

Menitta

I will never understand the difficulty meme. Pokemon was never hard but for what it's worth people have said that this is challenging compared to other entries.

Whatever their first Pokemon game was is probably the most difficult to them. To me, DPPt are pretty difficult when it gets to the Elite 4, but that's because I was a child. (And Cynthia is tough if you're underleveled even slightly).

I was hoping to get through White 2 (only mainline Pokemon game I never finished) in time for the release but procrastinated. I need 3 more badges plus the endgame to finish. I guess I'll have to shelve it again once I'm finished with Moon.

People get better at games as they get older, so things like Pokémon will always seem easier than they used to be. But I think what really kicked the comment up to 11 was X/Y, which were just... so easy. I feel like this was intentional because they were trying to loop in a newly branded global audience and make a very accessible game for everyone to share, which is fine, but hard to appreciate if you've been playing for a long time.

I've been with the series since R/B/Y, which I don't think were the hardest games, but nothing has been as easy as X/Y.

Dimmle

Yeah, I don't really think Red and Blue were that difficult. I've been replaying a bit of Red, in advance of this. There's some poor balancing compared to modern entries, and there are plenty of QoL improvements that have been made since then, but they're not much harder. We were all just a lot younger, and dumber, when we played those games.

It is true that trainer battles in the first few gens generally had higher Pokemon counts.

I'm not gonna say that everything before XY was Dark Souls or anything, but Kalos's balancing was really terrible. Whether you use exp.share or not. A game where almost everybody (including some postgame bosses) is afraid of using more than three Pokemon and there are incomplete movesets all over place is way too easy in my eyes. Compared to something like Platinum and and coming fresh off the ability to increase difficulty in BW2, XY was incredibly flaccid in that regard.

I've been watching streams of people playing the leaks and the Totem fights look way more satisfying than any of the gym battles in XY because the circumstances in them are actually somewhat dire. A 1 against 2 battle where one of the opponents gets a free auto stat boost and can act in tandem with its reinforcement is way more threatening than someone just throwing 3 "SWEEP ME" signs at you.

I won't say anything more in detail since this isn't the Spoilers thread, but it seems like there a lot more decent lategame/postgame fights available this time too. Again, not a huge shift, but it's an improvement.

All I need is a yes or no.

Are there in game trainers who uses full Pokémon teams that's not 6 of the same Pokémon?

Are they frequent or rare?

That's one thing I hated in XY. Even the fucking elite four and I want to say champion didn't have a full freaking team.

Busaiku

So is anyone else gonna be like me and try SRing for a starter with the proper nature?
Hyper Training is so great for sentimental purposes.

DNAbro

Are there in game trainers who uses full Pokémon teams that's not 6 of the same Pokémon?

That's one thing I hated in XY. Even the fucking elite four and I want to say champion didn't have a full freaking team.

I'm pretty sure no.

Yes, but not sure if any normal trainers do

That's par of Battle Tree though, wouldn't really consider post-game stuff, since the Maison had those too.
The 6 pokemon red blue battles are not battle tree battles technically. And they aren't the only ones
Also Maison only had 6v6 triple and rotation battles

Yay, the gaf OT is up! I'm so exci-

1ca84b2d8b.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I posted about it before, my orders are also scheduled for the 22nd BUT...I did get charged for Sun (for me) and Moon (for my sister) this morning. Amazon's not saying they shipped it, but they only charge stuff when they ship...so...

I also got charged for my order of Moon for my lady this morning as well but the interesting thing about it is that the delivery is expected for tomorrow...and I put in that order three days ago as opposed to my first two orders which I made earlier than that.

Revven

What a lot of us did as kids while playing Red & Blue was miss a lot of... easy to miss trainers. If you fight every trainer in R/B, you will at least be close to level 50 (and at least one of your Pokes will be 50), meaning you can win the E4 first try if you bring healing items (and a lot of healing items).

The common missed trainers were:

The ones at the beach in Fuchsia City
The route leading to Fuchsia City that's not Cycling Road (most people didn't go back the other way to Lavender Town unless they A. wanted the Super Rod B. wanted the Snorlax because the one in front of Cycling Road got away/they KO'd it or C. explored)
The two routes to Seafoam Island, there's a good amount of EXP on both of the ways to Seafoam that if you skip those water areas entirely you will almost assuredly only be level 40ish by the end game.

If you fight all those (and of course distribute the EXP evenly across your party), you will find that R/B are actually balanced pretty well in terms of leveling. The E4 would be the only part of the game that gives you any challenge (mainly because it's the only point in the game where the teams are 3-4 levels above you) but if you bring healing items you'll probably do just fine.

The trainers themselves, as far as Pokemon count for their teams, is where things did change as well as adjusting it so trainers aren't so easily missable like in R/B. None of the later games actually try to hide trainers from you, if you've ever noticed. This is so that you'll be properly leveled for upcoming gyms/E4/etc. and not under level.

clemenx

Banned
I'm pretty sure that if 9-10 yo me (who knew 0 english at the time, I must say) could beat RBY then they weren't that hard.

Pokemon has always been for kids 1st.

What a lot of us did as kids while playing Red & Blue was miss a lot of... easy to miss trainers. If you fight every trainer in R/B, you will at least be close to level 50 (and at least one of your Pokes will be 50), meaning you can win the E4 first try if you bring healing items (and a lot of healing items).

The common missed trainers were:

The ones at the beach in Fuchsia City
The route leading to Fuchsia City that's not Cycling Road (most people didn't go back the other way to Lavender Town unless they A. wanted the Super Rod B. wanted the Snorlax because the one in front of Cycling Road got away/they KO'd it or C. explored)
The two routes to Seafoam Island, there's a good amount of EXP on both of the ways to Seafoam that if you skip those water areas entirely you will almost assuredly only be level 40ish by the end game.

If you fight all those (and of course distribute the EXP evenly across your party), you will find that R/B are actually balanced pretty well in terms of leveling. The E4 would be the only part of the game that gives you any challenge but if you bring healing items you'll probably do just fine.

The trainers themselves, as far as Pokemon count for their teams, is where things did change as well as adjusting it so trainers aren't so easily missable like in R/B. None of the later games actually try to hide trainers from you, if you've ever noticed. This is so that you'll be properly leveled for upcoming gyms/E4/etc. and not under level.
I'm going to add that as a kid I often skipped trainer battles even when I knew where they were, and kids generally are shit about not using 4 fire moves or shit like that

Menitta

I posted about it before, my orders are also scheduled for the 22nd BUT...I did get charged for Sun (for me) and Moon (for my sister) this morning. Amazon's not saying they shipped it, but they only charge stuff when they ship...so...

I also got charged for my order of Moon for my lady this morning as well but the interesting thing about it is that the delivery is expected for tomorrow...and I put in that order three days ago as opposed to my first two orders which I made earlier than that.

Ah, I must have missed your post.

I just checked and I was also charged and I put my order in on Monday. Hopefully this means something. I can't imagine they'd ship something on Thursday only to expect it to arrive on Tuesday. Amazon has been getting weird about Day 1 releases lately.

clemenx

Banned
I'm going to add that as a kid I often skipped trainer battles even when I knew where they were, and kids generally are shit about not using 4 fire moves or shit like that

Yes. I miss my legendary Flame wheel/Flamethrower/Fire Spin/Fire Blast Typhlosion in my Gold playthrough. Those were the days.

I mean, gen 1 has a lot of broken cheese strategies that kids just don't use because they're dumb like how broken sleep and binding moves (wrap, fire spin, etc) were back then

Revven

Yeah, right. A lot of us as kids thought fighting every trainer was a bad idea (that you didn't want to when you didn't necessarily need to) but growing older, it's valuable to fight every trainer because of the EXP. That's why, say, the route going from Lavender Town to Fuchsia was easily skipped for some people if they already knew about Cycling Road; why fight through all those trainers when Cycling Road is shorter + easier? Exactly. Kid logic lol.

You could even miss some trainers on S.S Anne as well very easily. The front of the ship has two trainers which is an area you have zero reason to go to other than exploring but you can easily miss it because of the layout of how the ship funnels you to the Captain. And what's worse is that those trainers are permanently missable so you can't even fight them later if you realized you missed them. No Pokemon game has anything like that after R/B/Y.

And I've no doubt that some people skipped some Victory Road trainers, too, since those were some of the harder battles even though they're pretty valuable EXP.

exfatal

Getting mine after work tomorrow. So hyped for it. Was even she to hold off bettering the spoiler thread. Looking forward to playing sun!

Keyouta

Two Amazon reps told me my shipment would get to me on launch but the site is reading a shipment date of Nov 21, and arrival Nov 24 to 27, so that's great. /s

For everyone who's order still hasn't shipped on Amazon, give their customer service a try.
I asked if I was still getting the game tomorrow or if I should expect a weekend release and the guy I got told me that it wasn't shipping today or something but he upgraded my order to one day shipping at no charge. He told me for sure I was getting it tomorrow now but it still hasn't ship. It was a really nice gesture though and I still hope I can get it tomorrow!

Edit: Now it's coming up as shipped tomorrow with same day delivery...

purg3

slept with Malkin
is there a full list of available pokemon that are catch-able in this game? This will be my first pokemon game in quite some time and I don't have the older games to transfer pokemon.

UberTag

Excited for this for just one reason...

NUZLOCKE! Honestly I really can't get into Pokemon games nearly as well anymore unless I'm nuzlocking it. I know a few people mentioned in the spoiler thread they were going to nuzlocke it as well, for those that are what rules are you planning to use?
This game is going to provide the most amazing Nuzlocke runs ever, I believe. I'm almost more excited to watch streams of people Nuzlocking this title than I am to play it myself. Almost. It'll give me something to do while SRing for a modest female Popplio and adamant Litten this weekend.

Top Bottom