• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Wichu

Noooooo! I just checked my game and it's stuck at 255.

Got 1737 normal beans and 450 patterned right now. I guess those cap at 255 x number of colours?

Yeah, that makes sense actually. I forgot that they're separated out into colours in Pokémon Refresh. I'm at 1253 / 877 / 255 (been using Plain Beans for shard farming).

A reasonably viable imposter Ditto has Max HP and that's it. Once it transforms, which is usually instantly, that's the only stat that remains.

A perfect ditto has a bunch of extra requirements for silly edge cases.
You want a good hidden power (which that is various wildly depending on what you're expecting to fight) for if you want to become pokémon with hidden power in their moveset.
You want maximum defense and minimum speed with a relaxed nature, for the event that two untransformed ditto must fight to the death. You probably also want max attack for this? (Note: You will never spend more time having untransformed ditto fight to the death than you will optimising for that scenario.)
You want maximum special defence for if you switch into a zoroark illusion and are forced to try and survive a round untransformed (spoilers, it won't help).
Your special attack and be whatever the hell it likes, hidden power not withstanding.
Yes, sounds specific. I actually have a Ditto with Relaxed nature and Maxed HP and Attack IVs and the Imposter ability. So it looks like it meets some conditions, but not the others.

AlanOC91

Wow my girlfriend gifted me Sun as a surprise for Valentines. Awesome!

I played X&Y and while I enjoyed it, they were ridiculously easy games.

It this harder? As a general note I will not use xp share and stuff like that.

Can't wait to dive in! Hope it has more of an end game over X&Y.

So here's a good question for my fellow poke nerds.

I'm gonna restart my 3ds Red version since I've transferred everything up to Sun. What pokemon have the better hidden abilities that I should make sure to catch on my second play through? Of course I'm going to get another set of legends and such but is there any unique move set ups or anything like that I should be aware of?

So here's a good question for my fellow poke nerds.

I'm gonna restart my 3ds Red version since I've transferred everything up to Sun. What pokemon have the better hidden abilities that I should make sure to catch on my second play through? Of course I'm going to get another set of legends and such but is there any unique move set ups or anything like that I should be aware of?
Off the top of my head: Raichu, Nidoking, Clefable, Golbat, Parasect (for catching), Alakazam, Ditto (get a bunch with varying EXP to control natures for later breeding as well as having a 3/6 chance of getting a Max HP IV), Eevee, and Dragonite all have some good HAs in their families.

As for moves, nothing really. Bubblebeam on Articuno is one, I guess.

Off the top of my head: Raichu, Nidoking, Clefable, Golbat, Parasect (for catching), Alakazam, Ditto (get a bunch with varying EXP to control natures for later breeding as well as having a 3/6 chance of getting a Max HP IV), Eevee, and Dragonite all have some good HAs in their families.

As for moves, nothing really. Bubblebeam on Articuno is one, I guess.

Hmm I have most of those except for Nidoking and Clefable, but you've got a good point about the dittos for sure.

Is it based on levels gained after they've been caught for nature or some other value?

Hmm I have most of those except for Nidoking and Clefable, but you've got a good point about the dittos for sure.

Is it based on levels gained after they've been caught for nature or some other value?

It's current EXP in Gen 1, not level.
C2_tQ5QWEAE_5y5.jpg

TwiztidElf

So when Pokebank became available to Sun/Moon, I figured that I'd jump in, and register on Pokemon Global Link and try and get into some competitive Pokemon.
Boy was I wrong.

Newly registered Pokemon Global Link accounts cannot login to register their game.
This has now been going on for over a month. It started mid January, PGL finally acknowledged it on 2/2, and now here we are, still broken a month later.

casiopao

I hate those who uses Gengar and Hypnosis with fiery heart here.T_T Especially when many of my poke is slowmon.T_T They all get asleep and never woke up.T_T

I signed up for the Online competition with some bizarre combination of reluctance and eagerness.

I really want Beedrillite.

How and where do I sign up?

EDIT: Found it. Man why is this stuff so complicated?
Let's see how the tournament will go. I'm not to well prepared. I didn't do many double battles so far.

I entered on my US system with a team of early game Com Mons who are going to get face rolled 3 times , but I'm going to get an extra Mawilite and Beedrillite so I don't care.

Koren

Newly registered Pokemon Global Link accounts cannot login to register their game.
This has now been going on for over a month. It started mid January, PGL finally acknowledged it on 2/2, and now here we are, still broken a month later.
Any details on this?

I got (both) game(s) day 1, and I tried to register on PGL in the first week, in november.

I've had a pokemon trainer account for some time.

I NEVER managed to log in into PGL, I can't get help from Nintendo, and I'll be really mad for not getting mawillite, I love mawile.

They really should allow to transfer objects via Bank if they're available in current gen, or at the very least provide a way to get those stones normally.

Arynio

New stuff to trade (mostly 4-5IVs):

004.png
luxuryball.png

Ability: Solar Power (HA) / Blaze
Nature: Timid
Egg moves: Dragon Pulse, Ancient Power, Outrage, Flare Blitz

559.png
repeatball.png

Ability: Intimidate (HA) / Moxie
Nature: Brave
Egg moves: Dragon Dance, Fake Out, Drain Punch, Ice Punch

220.png
levelball.png

Ability: Thick Fat (HA) / Snow Cloak / Oblivious
Nature: Adamant / Naive
Egg moves: Stealth Rock, Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Freeze-Dry

123.png
sportball.png

Ability: Steadfast (HA) / Technician
Nature: Adamant
Egg moves: Counter, Baton Pass, Defog, Quick Guard

133.png
dreamball.png
1 LEFT!!!

Ability: Anticipation (HA)
Egg moves: Yawn, Curse, Wish, Stored Power

133.png
diveball.png

Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Bold
Egg moves: Yawn, Curse, Wish, Stored Power

742.png
loveball.png

Ability: Shield Dust / Honey Gather
Nature: Timid / Modest
Egg moves: Moonblast, Skill Swap, Speed Swap, Baton Pass

495.png
friendball.png
2 LEFT!!!

Ability: Contrary (HA)
Egg moves: Glare, Mirror Coat, Mean Look, Grassy Terrain

* Attack = 0, Sp. Attack = 30, Speed = 30 count towards the 4-5IV total

158.png
lureball.png
5 LEFT!!!

Ability: Sheer Force (HA) / Torrent
Nature: Jolly
Egg moves: Ice Punch, Metal Claw, Aqua Jet, Dragon Dance

315.png
moonball.png

Ability: Leaf Guard (HA) / Natural Cure
Egg moves: Spikes, Cotton Spore, Sleep Powder, Leaf Storm

* Attack = 0, Sp. Attack = 30, Speed = 30 count towards the 4-5IV total

077.png
fastball.png

Ability: Flash Fire
Egg moves: Hypnosis, Double-Edge, Morning Sun, Low Kick

suberzat

New stuff to trade (mostly 4-5IVs):

004.png
luxuryball.png

Ability: Solar Power (HA) / Blaze
Egg moves: Dragon Pulse, Ancient Power, Outrage, Flare Blitz

158.png
lureball.png
5 LEFT!!!

Ability: Sheer Force (HA) / Torrent
Egg moves: Ice Punch, Metal Claw, Aqua Jet, Dragon Dance
Could you trade these two with me?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
sort of weird question, but did any of you non-english-native-speakers play pokemon games as kids (like ~7 year old?).

considering buying a 2DS Moon ed. for my 7,5 year old kid, who's really interested in pokemons after GO and watching the shows

sort of weird question, but did any of you non-english-native-speakers play pokemon games as kids (like ~7 year old?).

considering buying a 2DS Moon ed. for my 7,5 year old kid, who's really interested in pokemons after GO and watching the shows

What first language are you referring too ? Sun / Moon comes with 9 languages on the cart IIRC (English , Spanish, Italian, French, German , Japanese , Korean and both Simplified and Traditional Chinese) , the choice is made when the game is first launched and can't be changed without deleting the save though

They usually try and target the language used so that it's understandable for someone with basic reading skills too. Rhough from my observations the level of understanding required to progress has probably increased a bit between the RBY days and now but thats been compensated for with more linearity and graphical indicators.

jnWake

I didn't play Pokémon as a kid but I played other RPGs like Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG and stuff. I remember I'd look up the words I didn't know lol.

Actually learned a lot of english thanks to gaming. First language is Spanish btw.

AEC

Neo Member
I have 3 extra codes for Bottle Caps from GameStop. First come, first served.

A7ZALYQMPCUS7EFS
A7ZALYR382SQJ8WQ
A7ZALYSS3UHXRCYL

Enjoy!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What first language are you referring too ? Sun / Moon comes with 9 languages on the cart IIRC (English , Spanish, Italian, French, German , Japanese , Korean and both Simplified and Traditional Chinese) , the choice is made when the game is first launched and can't be changed without deleting the save though

They usually try and target the language used so that it's understandable for someone with basic reading skills too. Rhough from my observations the level of understanding required to progress has probably increased a bit between the RBY days and now but thats been compensated for with more linearity and graphical indicators.

Norwegian :p

I beat my first Battle Legend in Double Battle in the Battle Tree!
Some really intense battles here. These are the most challenging battles I've faced so far.

Here's a real nail-biter where I barely won.
9SKW-WWWW-WWW5-GX8H
I was nearly completely shut down because my Carracosta was defeated so early, among other unexpected things.

I can't wait to try out other strategies.

Megatron

Anyone know at what levels Pokémon stop listening to you? I think after the first kahuna it Was level 35, but they stopped saying after that. Also does that only apply to traded Pokémon?

Yes I played Blue as a kid and it was amazing (played only with charizard but still had a blast). If he likes Pokemon there is no reason to not let him play Sun and Moon. Do it!

Anyone know at what levels Pokémon stop listening to you? I think after the first kahuna it Was level 35, but they stopped saying after that. Also does that only apply to traded Pokémon?
You can check that out in your trainer pass

Rafavert

I have been thinking (since last gen, really...) of of creating a Gravity Doubles Team.

Any suggestions as to what I should abuse, which Pokémon might be most reliable...

Without Move Tutors, there's fairly few Gravity users.

Users in the Alolan Dex include:
Clefable (which can abuse Thunder/Blizzard/Sing/Focus Blast)
Gigalith (Earthquake, Stone Edge)
Probopass (Uhm, Zap Cannon...? Also Stone Edge, I guess)
and Chansey/Blissey (Sing, Thunder, Blizzard, Focus Blast...)

Looking through the Dex, these Pokémon seem to enjoy the Gravity effects:

Tapu Koko (Thunder away!)
Hariyama (Dynamic Punch, Rock Slide, also has Fake Out and Wide Guard)
Mudsdale might like using Earthquakes
Poliwrath (Dynamic Punch, really..)
Salamance might be useful for intimidate and for Dragon Rush/Fire Blast.
Starmie (Thunder, Blizzard, Hydro Pump...)
Porygon 2/Z (Zap Cannon, Blizzard)
Vikavolk (pretty much just zap cannon)
Lanturn (Thunder, Blizzard, Hydro Pump)
Electivire (Thunder, Dynamic Punch, Rock Slide, Focus Blast)

Any tips? Never dedicated much to Doubles, really.

Vexii

I'm looking for help getting Team Red 5* for my Plaza but can't because I'm on Moon. Any gaffers here able to give me a hand sharing if you have it? I'd greatly appreciate the help.

RomanceDawn

I have been thinking (since last gen, really...) of of creating a Gravity Doubles Team.

Any suggestions as to what I should abuse, which Pokémon might be most reliable...

Look up some Hustle users. That would go very well with Gravity. Boosted attack for average accuracy only being 80%. Just don't get Taunted.

Busaiku

Finally got a 50 win streak.
Whimsicott is sooo frwaking good now.
Probably got 100 KOs with it during the run.

Best gen reaffirmed.

Rafavert

Look up some Hustle users. That would go very well with Gravity. Boosted attack for average accuracy only being 80%. Just don't get Taunted.

Ooh, good idea! Thanks.

Seems the best Hustle user is Durant, which would also provide some Fairy resistance. Shame the only one in the Alola Dex is Raticate...

So I got this as a gift yesterday and - obviously- I decided that fire/ghost marowak would be on my team. Then I saw he gets Shadow Bone and flame wheel before Cubone can evolve.

What were they thinking?

Also they moved pikachu's thunderbolt form 26 to 42.

So I got this as a gift yesterday and - obviously- I decided that fire/ghost marowak would be on my team. Then I saw he gets Shadow Bone and flame wheel before Cubone can evolve.

What were they thinking?

Also they moved pikachu's thunderbolt form 26 to 42.

I think the former was an oversight , they already have a mechanism for move relearner moves as well as on evolution moves and the move relearner can teach any moves in the level up move pool, so it doesn't make sense to have moves learnt at a level before level up (except to allow random encounters to have it).

I think the former was an oversight , they already have a mechanism for move relearner moves as well as on evolution moves and the move relearner can teach any moves in the level up move pool, so it doesn't make sense to have moves learnt at a level before level up (except to allow random encounters to have it).

Its annoying because now he can't learn his best Stab moves until the endgame.

backlot

The only time I've seen Gravity work really well in doubles was in VGC16 when the format allowed Primal Groudon. Boosted accuracy Precipice Blades that could hit levitaters was really strong. People really liked Gravity/Hypnosis Bronzong. I know some Pokemon like Xurkitree and Exeggcutor get Hypnosis so that might be worth looking into.

Just looking at the list of Pokemon you've put together nothing really strikes me as strong enough to justify the set up time needed for Gravity. Thunder and Blizzard are great but weather is so much easier to set up. If you really want Gravity to pay off you might have to go for something really gimmicky like Sheer Cold Lapras or Fissure Gastrodon.

How do these games compare to X&Y? Those are the last ones I played and I did enjoy them, but I know they've done quite a few changes with these.

Top Bottom