• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sword And Pokémon Shield announced releasing late 2019

Favorite Starter?

• Total voters

Garnox

I like Sobble, but will be starting with Grookey, as is per my tradition that I start every initial play through with the grass starter.

Grookey for me. He's clearly the best one as he is a mix of grass and monkey. One of those two is awesome, and the other is better than gravel.

Saber

Gold Member
I just hope it doesn't end up being a fighting type.

As for predictions, the one that comes into my mind is Grass/Rock. It may be Grass/Ground, while the worst outcome would be pure Grass.

Garnox

Also, I absolutely love the look and feel on the new region. I think this game is going to be everything I want in a console Pokémon game.

As for predictions, the one that comes into my mind is Grass/Rock. It may be Grass/Ground, while the worst outcome would be pure Grass.

I think he'll be a fighter. I'm thinking about what his evos could end up being and all that's coming to mind look like fighters.

Last edited:

Typhares

jLh2W7Z.jpg

198Egk9.jpg

3qZlOU4.jpg

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
You're a fucking degenerate fanboy, the kind that killed the Wii U with your hysterical degeneracy.

Or a troll, which would be reinsuring.

You have a bunch of open reports for being an ass already so why make this post. If you think he is lying just say it without the Degenerate fanboy part.

Graphics aren't that great, but good enough that I don't care. The big part of what I care about is sense of scale, exploration and how combat is handled. So what I was hoping for was something like the Breath of the Wild kind of Pokemon, but obviously more linear.

SweetShark

I am so sorry for telling this, but who else think Grookey's tail look like a giant piece of crap coming from his/her ass?

I bet on grass fairy, look at the glitter he left after beating that stick to the ground ✨ this, or Grass fighting, that stick will definitely become a weapon
Also hope GF won't fuck up these starters with their final stages, would be a terrible waste, they are among the best starters ever

I also predict the water one to be water + dragon or ghost

Fire Electric for The Bunny, a Sonic - esque and The Flash - esque take on him would be funny

Last edited:
You have a bunch of open reports for being an ass already so why make this post. If you think he is lying just say it without the Degenerate fanboy part.

Because his post his an aggression, IF it's even legit and not a paid hidden community manager (which is illegal).

To take an exemple, if I punched you and you punched me back as a defence, and I told well I never punched you, you would say this is a completely hysterical and degenerate reaction, and so would other witnesses

Well saying Pokemon 8 looks better than Let's Go, even though the game officially is a port of a 3DS game that is without a doubt graphically inferior, to the point it's not up to debate or argument for anybody sane, is an alienating aggression that deters from interesting discussion based on consensual grounds and not hysterical lies at the opposite of what's in front of everybody.

PhoenixTank

the game officially is a port of a 3DS game
Wait, what? Officially? Not saying impossible, and I certainly haven't been following every crumb of news, but something to back that up would be appreciated. I'm only one person but this is perhaps not as common knowledge as your post sets out?

Last edited:

UnusualSether

Neo Member
This region seems more ineteresting to me then Alola, I don´t think Sun & Moon were bad games, I just thought the region wasn´t that great and the pokemon weren´t very good either imo.
This region looks very good, the most original I have seen, not a big fan of the titles but maybe they´ll make more sense when the Gen´s legendarys are revealed.
I have to say though, those starters look kinda bad, they´re basically just a cartoony head and body with arms and small features relating to their species (Grookey and Sobble looked like straight up recolors to me at first). As long as the pokemon look good I think I´ll be on board with this game, hoping they can redeem the starters by giving them cool evolutions.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I see they have finally caught up to last gen graphically. Can't wait until next gen to get this gen graphics.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
This is always said when Nintendo announces new games. Never is any significant improvement added. In Breath of the Wild's case, the opposite happened.
*always is significant improvement added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ascend

As of now, I think I like Sobble the best, although Scorbunny is definitely not far behind. The evolutions will most likely make the choice easier for me. I'm still leaning more towards Scorbunny, simply because in general, there aren't that many fire types in the pokemon games compared to Grass and Water, and also because of this small little niche fact that I'm a fire rabbit myself according to the Chinese Zodiac.

Viridian Vagabond

Neo Member
I found it particularly odd that we got what we did this early.

When comparing this reveal to the Sun & Moon reveal, Sun & Moon was announced in Feb of 2016, just like Shield and Sword in Feb of 2019, however, we only got the titles.

Here we got titles, region name, starters, and gameplay footage. We didn’t hear a whisper of Sun & Moon until May 2016, which showcased the starters, and then June gave us info on legendaries and region name. The game looks really far ahead in development, which leads me to believe that our post-game might actually be Kalos, especially if they have to remake it from scratch with updated graphics and what-not. It would make sense since Galar is UK and Kalos is France, and they have a tunnel in real life that connects the two, not to mention both regions appear to have a lot of train lines, and Couriway Town was sort of left unused with no real purpose.

X & Y logos all have the same coloration as Shield & Sword logos. Who knows when we’ll get more info, but we already know quite a bit more than Sun & Moon at this point in time, especially if they still plan a Late 2019 release.

Zannegan

Interesting setting, and I like the starter designs so far, but once again, the changes seem to be incremental rather than evolutionary. Even the visuals are pretty underwhelming for a new generation. I'm not disappointed because disappointment implies expectation, but I'd like Gamefreak to show SOME ambition. Even a new type triangle would be something to look forward to, but here we are again hoping that they have an interesting secondary type to spice up the same old fire/water/grass triangle.

The battles will no doubt still be as solid and addicting as ever, but this reveal still feels a little ho-hum to me. Maybe we'll get more interesting/varied spinoffs this gen.

Fake

If the PR make the wondeful jobs they made of Sun/Moon trailers, this game can be a sucess. I was hoping for an 'Alolans' version this time too.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because his post his an aggression, IF it's even legit and not a paid hidden community manager (which is illegal).

To take an exemple, if I punched you and you punched me back as a defence, and I told well I never punched you, you would say this is a completely hysterical and degenerate reaction, and so would other witnesses

Well saying Pokemon 8 looks better than Let's Go, even though the game officially is a port of a 3DS game that is without a doubt graphically inferior, to the point it's not up to debate or argument for anybody sane, is an alienating aggression that deters from interesting discussion based on consensual grounds and not hysterical lies at the opposite of what's in front of everybody.

Comparing someone's opinion of the graphical quality of a game to being the same as physical violence is absolutely silly. Your insults were unwarranted, mate.

Also I assume you have plenty of evidence to support that claim of yours that you are willing to share?

Comparing someone's opinion of the graphical quality of a game to being the same as physical violence is absolutely silly. Your insults were unwarranted, mate.

Also I assume you have plenty of evidence to support that claim of yours that you are willing to share?

Physical violence? I encourage to look-up the actual definition of an "agression", which can be verbal (like mine) or moral/intellectual (like his).

Also it's stated in the presentation of Pokemon S/S itself that it was original done with the engine of Sun/Moon ie. a 3DS engine and not of a new switch engine. Doesn't matter, the delusion is so big, it's not going to work on anyone, I'm just sad the first main Pokemon entry on Switch is going to be a failure.

PhoenixTank

Also it's stated in the presentation of Pokemon S/S itself that it was original done with the engine of Sun/Moon ie. a 3DS engine and not of a new switch engine. Doesn't matter, the delusion is so big, it's not going to work on anyone, I'm just sad the first main Pokemon entry on Switch is going to be a failure.
Just rewatched the direct. Not a single mention of the engine or Sun & Moon or anything to give me the same impression you have. Short of some sort of translation quirk/error in another region's direct I can't say I believe you. Are you referencing some other video?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Physical violence? I encourage to look-up the actual definition of an "agression", which can be verbal (like mine) or moral/intellectual (like his).

You are comparing my difference of opinion to yours as being akin to being physically assaulted and someone lying about it. That is beyond sad, mate.

Also no, nothing in the video stated such. Do better.

Saber

Gold Member
Mine is:

Grass/Rock
Fire/Ground(similar to Incineroar, looks like a fighting type but in the end turns to be a Ground)
Water/Poison

Saber

Gold Member
Guessing this will be the newest "stupid sensation" they aways tries since XY, like Megas and Z-moves.

Caayn

Reminds me of the many failed attempts in G/S trying to get Mewtwo to evolve into metal Mewtwo after we learned that Onix and Scyther could evolve into Steelix and Scizor when holding a metal coat.

Anyway: Armoured Pokémon is going to be the generation 8 gimmick?

nicktwilight

Neo Member
I'm pretty happy from what they showed except two important decisions that they seem to have followed with this game.The first and more important one is the linearity,that I believe the layout of the map shows,as we clearly see what seems as the final elite four area on top of the map and the starting area at the bottom.My second gripe is pokemons no longer are shown on the overworld,which in my opinion was the best new addition of lets go and I would love it to make a return,as it made the world feel alive and inhabitable as it should be.

Thurible

Armor like the one he wore for training purposes in the first movie?
images

Personally, I would rather another pokemon get a different form. Mewtwo already has two megaevolutions, he doesn't need a new form change.

Anyway: Armoured Pokémon is going to be the generation 8 gimmick?

Interesting theory. It is called pokemon sword and shield, so a sort of "knight" gimmick would make sense.

The one thing I have to ask is are they going to continue making new mega evolutions and z moves, or are those things only for their respective generations?

Last edited:
Watch gamefreak make armored blissey or alamomola with magic guard or some Shit lol

I'm sure they won't get rid of megas but maybe armored mons are just the new mega.

Last edited:
Top Bottom