• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

Toxi

Banned
Lucario made it guys. I feel like such a proud parent right now that I could actually cry tears of joy.

RIP Meowth and Jigglypuff
The real confusing inclusion is Magneton.

I love Magneton, but I was scratching my head when it was featured alongside Gyarados, Charizard, and Lucario.

wwm0nkey

Even the damn GDC announcement came out of nowhere. Like, all it would take is a video or some screenshots to calm everybody the hell down but they just won't do it for some reason. I don't get it. This was their big watershed moment to be like, okay guys we were holding everything back for such a big audience, but now it's like... why? Why have you waited all this time to give us nothing? Not even a confirmation of a delay. Just radio silence.

I am thinking we will hear something on February 27th.

manfestival

man I couldnt help but say to myself that the commercial was stupid and I let out a "come on man" when i saw the pokemon on the screen

People keep saying it's blowing up, so I went to check my social media. Not even a whiff of a Pokemon related post. The Super Bowl Babies, Helen Mirren and Christopher Walken are the only big mentions I see.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This new Lucario Pokemon looks pretty cool, maybe I'll google it and see what it's about!

Missed opportunity IMO. Should have advertised Pokken. Superbowl view count is probably very high. But atleast the game was good, Lot of people I saw it with hated it due to it being a defense heavy game.

Zalman

It's always fun to see your Facebook friends talk about Pokémon. It happened with Go too.

I think a lot of people got a kick out of seeing it. I actually prefer the shorter version of it. It's more to-the-point.

JoeM86

smdh where the fuck is pokemon go like we've seen literally 2 probably mocked up screenshot and the game was supposed to be closed beta winter 2015 full launch early 2016. Like give us a damn video or something. ANYTHING

The "early 2016" date came in one Ingress video. We've never had a concrete timeframe. Early 2016 is very toploaded as is

EU Rumble World Launch
Jp Detective Pikachu
EU Super Mystery Dungeon Launch
Pokemon 20
Virtual Console launch
Pokkén

Adding Pokémon GO to the mix would be risky.

Did they really show a short version of the video uploaded 2 weeks ago?

This is actually a common trend with Super Bowl commercials these days. They upload the long thing early and hope it goes viral with a trimmed down version on the day.

DeathPeak

Would have been better to at least mention the Pokemon re-releases on VC or Pokken. The commercial expressed that Pokemon's anniversary is being celebrated, but I can't imagine a majority of people watching the Super Bowl are going to care enough to go to a website to find out how they're celebrating it.

As a fan that's already aware of these things though, I enjoyed the commercial alright.

Daemul

That trailer reminded me that despite Gyrados being a flying type and able to fly in the air as shown, he STILL can't learn Fly.

evanmisha

The "early 2016" date came in one Ingress video. We've never had a concrete timeframe. Early 2016 is very toploaded as is

EU Rumble World Launch
Jp Detective Pikachu
EU Super Mystery Dungeon Launch
Pokemon 20
Virtual Console launch
Pokkén

Adding Pokémon GO to the mix would be risky.

Then acknowledge the delay. How hard is that? Tweet "While we previously announced that Pokémon GO would be releasing in early 2016, circumstances beyond our control have rendered us unable to meet that time frame. We're sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused. Stay tuned for more information!" or even just mention it in one of the fluffy as shit interviews they're strong armed into giving with everyone clamoring for more information

JoeM86

Then acknowledge the delay. How hard is that? Tweet "While we previously announced that Pokémon GO would be releasing in early 2016, circumstances beyond our control have rendered us unable to meet that time frame. We're sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused. Stay tuned for more information!" or even just mention it in one of the fluffy as shit interviews they're strong armed into giving with everyone clamoring for more information

I question if there even was a delay.

evanmisha

I question if there even was a delay.

Even if closed beta starts at the end of this month, or sometime next month, fulfilling 'winter 2015', how short is this closed beta going to be that the full game launches in 'early 2016'? I don't really consider April or May to be 'early 2016'.

That's not to mention, if it is coming that soon, why do we still know almost nothing about it? We got 2 screenshots 6 months ago and some very slight elaboration on a few of the mechanics implied in the concept trailer. That's it.

EDIT: Of course, we knew almost literally nothing about Detective Pikachu until it was suddenly about to come out, so maybe that's par for the course.

JoeM86

Even if closed beta starts at the end of this month, or sometime next month, fulfilling 'winter 2015', how short is this closed beta going to be that the full game launches in 'early 2016'? I don't really consider April or May to be 'early 2016'.

That's not to mention, if it is coming that soon, why do we still know almost nothing about it? We got 2 screenshots 6 months ago and some very slight elaboration on a few of the mechanics implied in the concept trailer. That's it.

EDIT: Of course, we knew almost literally nothing about Detective Pikachu until it was suddenly about to come out, so maybe that's par for the course.

It's more that I question that Early 2016 was ever actually the date and that wasn't just a slip up in an Ingress video. It's not exactly the most official of things.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How come? It celebrated & promoted the brand and got people talking.
Hardy anyone is talking about it in the real world besides gamers that already knew it was coming. To a lot of people it seemed like teasing a product without having an actual product to sell.

Azuran

Banned
Would have been better to at least mention the Pokemon re-releases on VC or Pokken. The commercial expressed that Pokemon's anniversary is being celebrated, but I can't imagine a majority of people watching the Super Bowl are going to care enough to go to a website to find out how they're celebrating it.

As a fan that's already aware of these things though, I enjoyed the commercial alright.

I mean if they don't care about visiting the website, then chances are they care even less about old games or Pokken. The point of this ad was to remind people that played it when they were young that Pokemon still exists and still going as strong as ever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hardy anyone is talking about it in the real world besides gamers that already knew it was coming. To a lot of people it seemed like teasing a product without having an actual product to sell.

What is the basis of this claim?

If nothing else, it's getting a lot more general media coverage than any video game announcement would.

Nightbird

So this was my first criticism of this piece. I just saw the Japanese version of the ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJNSTpc9n-I

Everyone speaks their native language in it with subtitles in Japanese. Evokes that feeling of Pokemon being a global phenomenon so much better than the English version as a result.

Huh, I didnt knew the dad and his kid were supposed to be german.

But you are right, feels much more global this way.

Probably the only way I'd watch a Pokemon anime is if they start back from scratch and reboot the whole thing.

As for what Gen to focus on I wouldn't really care as long as Ash would be gone.

JoeM86

Probably the only way I'd watch a Pokemon anime is if they start back from scratch and reboot the whole thing.

As for what Gen to focus on I wouldn't really care as long as Ash would be gone.

It'd be pretty much the same just with a new protagonist. You do realise that, right?

Top Bottom