• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO update removes footprints from nearby tracker

PSFan

That stopped working the day they nerfed the 3-step footprints, at least for me. Just 100% random spawns.

Yep, me too. I generally play with my brother, niece and nephew and all four of us show different Pokemon on our nearby lists.

Mariolee

I was in the front row breh. They didn't say shit about working on it. The reason people were chanting is because they literally ignored the question the first time it was asked.

Yeah, I edited my post that was my mistake.

But you conveniently left out that people were chanting about it and that's why they were laughing. I simply think you're overreacting, not much to it.

Adaren

That stopped working the day they nerfed the 3-step footprints, at least for me. Just 100% random spawns.

Yeah, I'm aware it's been broken. I was just hoping they'd fix it with the update, because it's unbelievably dumb to have absolutely no way to narrow down which direction a Pokemon is in.

Mariolee

He's saying Niantic deserves more credit for lucking out with the Pokémon IP and slapping it onto Ingress like that's some sort of monumental task. I wouldn't even argue with him, he's white knighting pretty hard.

The fact of the matter is there was a beta. They knew it would be big. They should have had the servers to handle it. They shouldn't remove features. They shouldn't allow GPS spoofing and they shouldn't hold a complete lack of communication. It's a messed up situation and the people sitting back and defending them aren't making matters easier.

The game is broken with no fix in sight.

post-64231-this-is-fine-dog-fire-comic-Im-N7mp.png

White knighting? Alright, I think I'm done with this "discussion".

Yeah, that admittedly sucks. I can definitely see why they would try to "nerf" the nests, especially when it comes to Dratinis and trying to keep every gym from becoming a Dragonite-fest. However, it feels too little too late and makes it unfair for people who did not have the chance to get any Dratinis yet. I am hoping that in a future patch they balance out the Pokemon a bit better before trying to release any other generation.

It certainly doesn't, but it really does not take that much more effort to think that there's a high chance that the core feature was taken out to be fixed and put back in. So when a person isn't acknowledging the high probability that tracking will be put back in again it just makes it difficult to discuss or reason with them.

What evidence of a high chance is there? And going further, how can one calculate a high probability?

But this is a bad talking point to begin with. We shouldn't need to be theorizing odds. That's a consequence of Niantic not communicating with its customers and us being left with fuck-all to figure out.

But to be more apt, I don't think the tracking will come back. Given the heavy server side focus of the game (which has its own severe flaws since some things could be client side without being prone to cheating), and with the currently high player base, tracking as it exists brings an additional burden.

Why they implemented tracking the way they did was a headscratcher by itself.

White knighting? Alright, I think I'm done with this "discussion".

It absolutely comes off like white knighting.

R0ckman

I don't play this game, but even I can see how this could ruin the experience.

I'm not while goose chasing, if it wasnt for the fact that I'm over half way done with the pokedex, I'd fully delete this damn thing.

Wonder how Nintendo feels about how they are handling this.

Yeah. A lot could have been avoided.

And the problem that then develops is..... once you catch lightning in a bottle, you don't dare open that bottle and go "oh well with just a few edits it'll be even better" without losing lightning.

Niantic completely fucked up the tracking system. Alright, take the L and let the unofficial solutions live until you come up with something better and work on the meta.

Niantic did not pursue this route and the fallout is starting to show already.

Whoever said this game's popularity was beyond Niantic's league was absolutely correct.

Basically this. Sadly all this has proven is that they're incredibly out of their depth with regards to the success they've had. To be fair, not many could have predicted how explosively viral Go went, so they can be forgiven for being unprepared. Unfortunately, their handling of matters and, especially, the lack of communication is leaving a bad taste in many people's mouths, so unless they do something quick, they risk people simply moving on. This is pretty depressing because it had the potential of being a long lasting success if better handled.

Are you serious? I would bet a hefty amount of money they took it out to fix it and will bring it back either fixed or completely revamped.

We should have to guess, or bet. We should be told. We should be assured. As paying customers that's the absolute bare minimum we deserve. Anything else is defending the indefensible.

Joni

Person 1: "I caught a Gengar on Rogers Street"
Person 2: "Cool! I'm going to walk around there tomorrow and see what I find. Want to come with?"

If a friend takes me out for a walk to catch a Rattata that shows up there now, he is no longer my friend. I also don't need an app to be social with my friends, it is a lot more useful to be social with strangers. Like all people going 'There is a Vaporeon over there', we have ten minutes to get it.

Mariolee

What evidence of a high chance is there? And going further, how can one calculate a high probability?

But this is a bad talking point to begin with. We shouldn't need to be theorizing odds. That's a consequence of Niantic not communicating with its customers and us being left with fuck-all to figure out.

But to be more apt, I don't think the tracking will come back. Given the heavy server side focus of the game (which has its own severe flaws since some things could be client side without being prone to cheating), and with the currently high player base, tracking as it exists brings an additional burden.

Why they implemented tracking the way they did was a headscratcher by itself.

It absolutely comes off like white knighting.

I agree that Niantic has a huge problem with communication, and there is a ton of things in the game that is bringing it down. Nest nerfing, accounts glitching or restarting, tracking obviously not working. However, what I am also saying is give it some time. It's only been less than a day since the update went on and we're already spilling doom and gloom? That's what seems like the overreaction to me. You can call it white knighting if you want I guess.

We should have to guess, or bet. We should be told. We should be assured. As paying customers that's the absolute bare minimum we deserve. Anything else is defending the indefensible.

Again, I totally agree. Frustration is totally fine. I just think we should give it a bit more than a day after the update before we get our pitchforks at the ready.

Harpuia

I sincerely hope it's because it's not working, and while they're fixing it, they decided to remove it to avoid confusion.

I agree that Niantic has a huge problem with communication, and there is a ton of things in the game that is bringing it down. Nest nerfing, accounts glitching or restarting, tracking obviously not working. However, what I am also saying is give it some time. It's only been less than a day since the update went on and we're already spilling doom and gloom? That's what seems like the overreaction to me. You can call it white knighting if you want I guess.

The issues have been ongoing since near launch. It's been a month and the most they've done is remove the feature. This doesn't exactly instill confidence. This is why everyone's harping on the communication issue and why the lack of communication in this case is so damaging.

I think I just understood why Niantic is keeping mum on the matter. They are counting on the likes of Mariolee to do the reassuring for them. And since it's not an official statement, they can then fix it or not as they please with zero accountability. Win/win!

In other news, I've ignored more people in this thread than in all of 2016 so far.

Again, I totally agree. Frustration is totally fine. I just think we should give it a bit more than a day after the update before we get our pitchforks at the ready.

We're expressing our discontentment in a text based, anonymous, niche internet board that they're probably never going to read. If you think that's giving them way too hard of a time for ignoring their paying customers for the several weeks the tracker straight out hasn't worked, you might want to recalibrate your standards.

jax

Banned

But it's been broken for weeks. The patch only made things worse.

Struct09

I don't like the trend that if something doesn't work they just remove it. Battery Save mode was borked on iOS, and instead of fixing it that feature is just gone now too.

Mariolee

The issues have been ongoing since near launch. It's been a month and the most they've done is remove the feature. This doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Jaxpollo even admitted himself that three steps worked for the first week or so, and since the game has only been out for about 25 days, that would mean three steps hasn't been working for at most 18 days (which is still a pretty long time I concede). But in that time they have also been launching in dozens of other countries, so they have had a lot on their plate. They acknowledged the problem at Comic Con, less than a week ago. Now they have at least removed the broken feature. You don't have to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's not a huge leap in logic to think that maybe...just maybe they might be fixing it.

But it's been broken for weeks. The patch only made things worse.

Do you think this patch is the final patch? I believe it's like closing down a street for construction. The street is going to open again. How do I know it will come again? I don't, but why wouldn't they try to find some solution in fixing it? Again, all I'm saying is I get the frustration but just give it a bit more time than just a day to see what Niantic is really doing.

jax

Banned
Do you think this patch is the final patch? I believe it's like closing down a street for construction. The street is going to open again. How do I know it will come again? I don't, but why wouldn't they try to find some solution in fixing it? Again, all I'm saying is I get the frustration but just give it a bit more time than just a day to see what Niantic is really doing.
I guess we'll know if the game is dead 2 weeks from now, then. Although by then I fear it may be too late. People already dropping the app like yesterday's news. The hypewave should have lasted at least a month, not 4 days.

Lijik

if only Niantic communicated with players half as much as Mariolee has been running damage control in this thread.

The hype for the app is slowly fading with all these glitches and half assed features. Less and less people are playing it. But yeah, let's give them time. Maybe another month?

I wonder how Nintendo, a company obsessed with not releasing their games until they are absolutely polished, is feeling about Niantic's pathetic handling of their third most precious property.

Joni

Would you stand it if the city just closed down the street and didn't say when it would open, or that they are even working on it.

BlackJace

I can't play the game (Windows Phone peasant), but it's frustrating that there's no communication from Niantic. Hopefully they get the game into a better state soon.

Mariolee

I guess we'll know if the game is dead 2 weeks from now, then. Although by then I fear it may be too late. People already dropping the app like yesterday's news. The hypewave should have lasted at least a month, not 4 days.

Drop off was always going to happen, but I do agree that Niantic's handling of this has accelerated that drop off considerably. However, do you have numbers of huge waves of people dropping off the app?

Would you stand it if the city just closed down the street and didn't say when it would open, or that they are even working on it.

As a commuter, that shit has happened to me countless times and frustrated me. But each and every time they've opened up the street again.

Levi

Banned
Some really pathetic corporate toadying going on in this thread.

Have fun with your broken game and rampant cheating guys, I'm out.

dity

If a friend takes me out for a walk to catch a Rattata that shows up there now, he is no longer my friend. I also don't need an app to be social with my friends, it is a lot more useful to be social with strangers. Like all people going 'There is a Vaporeon over there', we have ten minutes to get it.

Adding "need" and "useful" into the equation here is pretty depressing.

Some really pathetic corporate toadying going on in this thread.

Have fun with your broken game and rampant cheating guys, I'm out.

I'm sorry you have no other reason to go for a walk and need instant gratification in your Pokemon hunt.

Why are people complaining about the broken tracker now? It's been broken for 2 weeks. They're just now getting round to tidying up the shards of glass.

jax

Banned
Drop off was always going to happen, but I do agree that Niantic's handling of this has accelerated that drop off considerably. However, do you have numbers of huge waves of people dropping off the app?

I just go by the population of local hotspots. When the game came out there were hundreds of people. Now there's like 30. It's a noticeably steep decline. I would like to see actual numbers back this up though, but I'm sure Niantic is keeping those numbers a secret as long as possible.

The Cowboy

Why are people complaining about the broken tracker now? It's been broken for 2 weeks. They're just now getting round to tidying up the shards of glass.

Because we at least had a viable alternative to it when out and about (great little tools like the gaffer made, Pokeviosn etc) - now we don't (unless you want to go full on with Python etc).

I'm all for force stopping things like Pokevison, but they should have at least fixed the in game tracking before doing so.

It's obvious there'd be much less of a backlash if they would just ANNOUNCE they were working as hard as they can to fix the tracking system. But nah, still lookin for a PR guy.

Joni

Adding "need" and "useful" into the equation here is pretty depressing.

You are the one thinking someone would require an app to go out with his friends. There is only one app necessary for that, one that allows you to send messages to determine a date/time. That is Facebook. Pokémon GO in combination with PokéVision works great for talking to random people.

I agree that Niantic has a huge problem with communication, and there is a ton of things in the game that is bringing it down. Nest nerfing, accounts glitching or restarting, tracking obviously not working. However, what I am also saying is give it some time. It's only been less than a day since the update went on and we're already spilling doom and gloom?

They've been consistently incompetent in dealing with community issues since the start (much as they were on their last game, for those of us who are Ingress veterans) and these third-party apps were the thing that was keeping the game nonetheless enjoyable. There's no reason to assume any upside scenario about this or give them the benefit of the doubt until they actively change their behavior and show they can do things differently than they've done so far.

dity

that thing never worked for me after the first update, it wouldnt take my inputs when it came out of the screensaver mode. I guess its another disappointing case of "We couldnt fix it in time so lets just remove it and not communicate plans to bring it back"
If you went out and used the app you'd find out the screen dims now after a period of no activity by default.

Like, it has been mentioned several times in the thread now.

You are the one thinking someone would require an app to go out with his friends. There is only one app necessary for that, one that allows you to send messages to determine a date/time. That is Facebook. Pokémon GO in combination with PokéVision works great for talking to random people.

No? It's an app you can go out and fun walking around with friends with and it significantly increases the app's enjoyment. Like where the heck did you get this "requirement" stuff from? You can go out and play it with friends. It's a lot more fun that way. You should try it.

jax

Banned
I just don't see how anyone could have a meaningful, fun time with this game in its current state. The game was literally perfect at launch. It's a damn shame.

Joni

No? It's an app you can go out and fun walking around with friends with and it significantly increases the app's enjoyment. Like where the heck did you get this "requirement" stuff from? You can go out and play it with friends. It's a lot more fun that way. You should try it.

I do so every lunch at work. Last week we could find fun Pokémon, this week we'll catch million Drowzee and just that.

dity

I just don't see how anyone could have a meaningful, fun time with this game in its current state. The game was literally perfect at launch. It's a damn shame.
And I don't understand how the previous way more broken version of the app that constantly crashed and had a myriad more issues that actually made the app annoying to use from time to time was better. Yeah, you hunted down a Pokemon. Oh nooo now the Pokeball has frozen. Oh a Pokemon is about to despawn aaand the app won't take touch input anymore. What's that, you want to hatch some eggs? GPS not found.

jax

Banned
And I don't understand how the previous way more broken version of the app that constantly crashed and had a myriad more issues that actually made the app annoying to use from time to time was better. Yeah, you hunted down a Pokemon. Oh nooo now the Pokeball has frozen. Oh a Pokemon is about to despawn aaand the app won't take touch input anymore. What's that, you want to hatch some eggs? GPS not found.
Id rather deal with the occasional fuck up than play a broken half-game.

Joni

Because the most important feature worked via third-party solutions.

dity

Because the most important feature worked via third-party solutions.
And the "important feature" just pointed you directly to where a Pokemon is and also completely defeated the purpose of the whole game. You think it's broken now? Well I thought being able to home in on a Pokemon's pinpoint location to "hunt" it (even though it's not really even hunting then) completely broke the game.

I'd honestly rather have Pokemon a little harder to find than having people completely suck out the fun of a game that is supposed to be about luck and hard work. Not grinding every Dratini you find on Pokevision and getting a Dragonite way faster than anyone else. You guys complain about people GPS spoofing, but I honestly don't see the difference here. You're both exploiting a fun social game to get ahead. Is it not fun now because you just can't win easily? You have to wait for rare Pokemon now and hope you happen upon one like everyone else, so the game's broken is it? If they kept the steps and still got rid of Pokevision I bet you people would still be whining. You've tasted the instant gratification of Pokevision, steps will be a downgrade from that. You still won't be getting as good Pokemon as you do with third party apps pinpointing you to where the best monsters are.

L.O.R.D

i spend 3 hours today trying to catch some pokemon,i really didn't feel good.
maybe i burned my self,or this game become very boring and aimless without any direction.

Tagg9

And the "important feature" just pointed you directly to where a Pokemon is and also completely defeated the purpose of the whole game. You think it's broken now? Well I thought being able to home in on a Pokemon's pinpoint location to "hunt" it (even though it's not really even hunting then) completely broke the game.

I'd honestly rather have Pokemon a little harder to find than having people completely suck out the fun of a game that is supposed to be about luck and hard work. Not grinding every Dratini you find on Pokevision and getting a Dragonite way faster than anyone else. You guys complain about people GPS spoofing, but I honestly don't see the difference here. You're both exploiting a fun social game to get ahead. Is it not fun now because you just can't win easily? You have to wait for rare Pokemon now and hope you happen upon one like everyone else, so the game's broken is it? If they kept the steps and still got rid of Pokevision I bet you people would still be whining. You've tasted the instant gratification of Pokevision, steps will be a downgrade from that. You still won't be getting as good Pokemon as you do with third party apps pinpointing you to where the best monsters are.

That's understandable if you consider "grinding" and "luck" to be important components for a fun game. I do not.

Joni

I call a system that points you to Pokémon that might not even be there anymore completely broken. If you think that is a good system over one that can tell if a Pokémon is still actually there, then you are just wrong. If Niantic wants to stop the latter, they would get a lot more support if they actually had fixed their system first.

I'd honestly rather have Pokemon a little harder to find than having people completely suck out the fun of a game that is supposed to be about luck and hard work. Not grinding every Dratini you find on Pokevision and getting a Dragonite way faster than anyone else. You guys complain about people GPS spoofing, but I honestly don't see the difference here. You're both exploiting a fun social game to get ahead.
With the small difference that the farming of Dratini can still easily be done without Pokévision. They are fixed spots. They just aren't any in my country. If I GPS spoofed, I could just jump to Santa Monica and catch Dragonites and put them in all gyms. If there is a Dratini two countries over, I won't be able to reach it.

Is it not fun now because you just can't win easily? You have to wait for rare Pokemon now and hope you happen upon one like everyone else, so the game's broken is it? If they kept the steps and still got rid of Pokevision I bet you people would still be whining. You've tasted the instant gratification of Pokevision, steps will be a downgrade from that. You still won't be getting as good Pokemon as you do with third party apps pinpointing you to where the best monsters are.
Even with Pokévision my rarest Pokémon is a Wartortle or a Lickitung.

jax

Banned
Wow, the outcry about this on Reddit and other outlets is crazy. I thought people would be quick to brush this under the rug and defend Niantic. Hopefully this pushes them to actually act.

cakely

So I just booted the game up after the patch.

The tracker is still there ... and it's still sorted by distance, but the footprints are gone.

It's really not a big deal in any way, and I suspect that the footprints will return at some point.

Top Bottom