• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO update removes footprints from nearby tracker

Jarsonot

It wasn't working properly, they removed the UI. It is obviously an intended feature since they had it on launch.

Maybe a little too early to light the torches. Some people seem really entitled in here.

DrWong

No. These are problems that affect hardcore players, not the casuals. And this is a hardcore gaming forum.
But it's a casual game, directed to the casuals.

Edit: I'm a casual pokemon player. I just play the app, the rpg doesn't interest me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ideally, rare Pokemon should be rarer spawns, but also stay around for a long time. Imagine how much social it would be if it was "There's a Blastoise at XXX today!" and it stayed for like 24 hours, long enough for word of mouth to spread and giving everyone in the town a chance to catch it.

Which would lead to the fact that they are, you know, not rare anymore because everyone in a ten mile radius would all have a Blastoise.

Rare pokemon should have shorter spawns and way less of them. They are rare after-all and catching one should be special.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Which would lead to the fact that they are, you know, not rare anymore because everyone in a ten mile radius would all have a Blastoise.

Rare pokemon should have shorter spawns and way less of them. They are rare after-all and catching one should be special.

...shorter than 15 mins?

I get the impression that a lot of people were wanting to catch them all within the first month or something. I've always seen this as a game I'll just play casually for a long time, which I guess is why I'm less bothered about the issues. I'm in no rush to complete my pokedex, it's just something I'll do gradually.

PaulLFC

It wasn't working properly, they removed the UI. It is obviously an intended feature since they had it on launch.

Maybe a little too early to light the torches. Some people seem really entitled in here.
They should have handled this better. They removed it with no mention of when or if it'll be back (which is Niantic's problem, their communication (or rather lack of) is an embarrassment). They then also chose to intentionally break tools the community had developed in the meantime to mitigate the loss of the Nearby tracker, while still allowing GPS spoofing to go ahead with no repercussions.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Niantic need to address the fans and tell them they are working on fixing the footprints. That was the part of the game I loved the MOST. Now the sense of exploration is almost non existent! What a shame...

dity

Maybe for you. Other people want something more from the game than a social enhancer.

Also, I had one of the most "Pokemon" experiences today, and it was all thanks to a still-functioning "cheating" Pokemap.

I saw Alakazham in the "nearby" list, frantically searched on the map, found it and saw it had 9 minutes left, threw on my clothes and managed to reach it with 2 minutes to spare.

Without some navigation like a Pokemap or working footsteps, a rare Pokemon in the "nearby" list is nothing but a mockery because there's no way you will manage to find it within the short time before it despawns.

You know how the game is a social phenomenon and even people who don't know about Pokemon are now playing because their friends are and they all gather in groups to have fun?

I think you're the odd one out here.

It absolutely does happnen. On my lunch at work I tend to walk down to the city hall and sit right between two lured stops, and can easily catch 40+ pokemon in the 45 minutes I'm there. Last time I caught 2 squirtles, a haunter and a bunch of other stuff outside of the usual pidgeys and rattatas. Sitting at a lure is by far the most effective way of catching rarer pokemon in my experience.

Sitting at a lure is a good way to catch a lot of Pokemon, but a Pokemon it doesn't make the Pokemon that appear at it any rarer. Like, I barely see Paras, but a Youtuber I watch basically gets Paras most of the time. Does that make Paras rare? Probably not.

Maybe you have fun catching commons, but everyone I meet playing this game pretty much hates it. My family, whom I play with quite often also hates it and it kills the desire to play the game that often.

The game even goes against all the lore and mythos that Pokemon has built up over the years. You could NEVER get a Pokemon like Pikachu, Clefairy or Jigglypuff from an egg. It's literally impossible in the regular games. They hatch as Pichu, Cleffa and Igglybuff respectfully. And before you say they haven't added Gen II yet, they probably should have just not had those Pokemon obtainable from eggs.

Not to mention all the different Pokemon that only evolve from trading or other means. I don't think it would have been too hard to include the evolution stones for some evolutions either.
It's not a regular damn Pokemon game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You two can't understand Pokemon Go being a walking and social situation enhancer? Drives conversation, adventure, bonding. Even if you just catch commons, at least you had fun together doing it.
With who am I supposed to make a conversation and bond when I never meet anyone playing this game after the first week?

DrWong

I get the impression that a lot of people were wanting to catch them all within the first month or something. I've always seen this as a game I'll just play casually for a long time, which I guess is why I'm less bothered about the issues. I'm in no rush to complete my pokedex, it's just something I'll do gradually.
Same. And it's an opportunity to have fun with my children.

Niantic need to address the fans and tell them they are working on fixing the footprints. That was the part of the game I loved the MOST. Now the sense of exploration is almost non existent! What a shame...

Just tweet/contact them, and delete the app until they fix it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
...shorter than 15 mins?

Sure. Keep it at 15 or shorten it to 10. Keep these pokemon rare and reward people that are actively out and about looking for pokemon.

I don't like when these apps are designed for instant gratification. Make it a fucking challenge.

dity

I'm the same. It gets me out exercising and enjoying outside, I intend to play it for a long time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Have you considered introducing the game to a friend?
Sometimes the free time of people dont overlapse.

Also, how does this invalides the point that I have no clue where to go in a area of 5 kilometer? I can spend the time better sitting in a bar and have that conversation there.

It's extremely important for them to explain their choices, without doing so they look very amatuer.

Also, how does this invalides the point that I have no clue where to go in a area of 5 kilometer? I can spend the time better sitting in a bar and have that conversation there.

I just play it while I'm doing other stuff. I never just play the game. I usually have it running when I'm walking to work, or going shopping or whatever. Later today I'm taking my daughter to the park, and I'll have it running then. You don't need to know where to go. Just have it runnning when you're walking about and shit will pop up.

Zafir

If you live in a decent population town there's normally a permanently lured stop somewhere. I get nothing when I am at home, but when I travel up to Nottingham, if I go to the castle there's basically just a giant gang of Go players in a spot that has four overlapping Pokestops, all of which are lured. Surprising age range - I think parents figured out it was a fun place to take kids, so I've seen everyone from 4 to late 50s there. Most of the stuff is poor, but there's a new spawn every minute and a half or so, so something good eventually turns up. We used to have great fun using Pokevision because someone would just yell "Lapras 8 minutes on Station Street!" and a mob of ~50 people would leg it. Now there's no incentive to even do that.

To be fair, there's some parts of cities where there's absolutely nothing. I live a bit further North in Sheffield and there's some parts of the city where I was surprised at how I could go through them and not find a single pokestop for literally miles. I'm a tiny bit more fortunate, I do live on the edge of the city, in a more rural area. There is still some stuff around though, so I can find some stuff within walking distance. There isn't really any circles of permanent lured pokestops, though.

Go was supposed to be just fun and giggles, but looks like the hardcore gamers have other plans for it, lol.

Are you guys calculating all the min and max already?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Go was supposed to be just fun and giggles, but looks like the hardcore gamers have other plans for it, lol.

Dude, there already are IV calculators and moveset tier lists out there. Ofcourse people are going to minmax the shit out of this game.

Lionheart

Yup, me too. I won't even play with people using the radars, just ain't fun at all.

I just hope Niantic will wait a long time before they release the second generation of pokémons to give casual players a chance to catch them all as well, even though the cheaters / fanatics will probably be bored of the game by then.

dity

No free time doesn't always match up, that is true. But have you even tried introducing people you know to the game?

Oh, and I go nowhere specific. I do a 30-60 minute loop back to my apartment, or
drive to the park and just walk in a random direction from there. I play when I go to the shops, too, or am out for lunch or dinner. Even if there's nothing in the nearby box.

Wasn't the footprints broken anyway?

Also, I believe you're still able to track pokemons if you just use the nearby tab. The top row of pokemon are the closest to you, so just walk in a direction and see them swap places. If the pokemon falls to the rows below you're walking in the wrong direction.

PSFan

Yup, me too. I won't even play with people using the radars, just ain't fun at all.

I just hope Niantic will wait a long time before they release the second generation of pokémons to give casual players a chance to catch them all as well, even though the cheaters / fanatics will probably be bored of the game by then.

They said Gen II should be out by December.

Also, I believe you're still able to track pokemons if you just use the nearby tab. The top row of pokemon are the closest to you, so just walk in a direction and see them swap places. If the pokemon falls to the rows below you're walking in the wrong direction.

Nearby tracker is slow and wrong most of the time. Me and a friend would be right next to each other and see different things and you could be right next to a pokemon and the game wouldn't show it in the nearby tracker.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just play it while I'm doing other stuff. I never just play the game. I usually have it running when I'm walking to work, or going shopping or whatever. Later today I'm taking my daughter to the park, and I'll have it running then. You don't need to know where to go. Just have it runnning when you're walking about and shit will pop up.
Yes, Rattatas pop up. I have currently 20.
Maybe the problem that you all dont understand what kind of Pokemon pop up in areas that are not big citys.
Alone in the standard location of Pokevision, Santa Monica Pier and the streets around, more Pokemon spawned them in my whole town (and lets not even talk about which pokemon spawn. I was baffled to see what could pop up in the wild). And its not a small village, its one of the bigger towns of the area. Pokevision was useful to at least get an idea where its worth the time to go.

When you life in a big city and every couple of meters something spawns, then you dont need this, but in the rural areas Pokemon Go is pointless now.

There's a few types of people who play this game.

- Casuals who just go out, walk about with the game open, it vibrates.. ooh a Rattata... let's catch that. Got it, cool.
- People who want to get everything.
- People who just want the best Pokemon to compete against others in gyms.
- People who want to play the hunting game.

As of right now the hunting game is too difficult, and those who wanted everything have had the dream dashed by the death of Pokevision et al.

No matter what they do the casuals will still enjoy things.

ymgve

Footprints worked for the first week or so.

The order can not be relied on, because if they could give an absolute ordering based on distance they would already have the footprint problem solved.

Zafir

Honestly fundamentally the main problem here is totally lack of communication. They need to hire someone to just talk to people, if they came out and said they're working on fixing the near by and we'll have a solution soon. Until then we're removing the footsteps to avoid confusion. Something like that, then people would be more accepting. Instead they remove it and don't tell anyone their plans, so everyone just assumes the worst.

You can but it's not ideal. The nearby list just doesn't update fast enough. So it can be hard to track pokemon because well it doesn't move their positions around fast enough so you can know you're going in the right direction. It also bugs out a lot. I've had Pokemon disappear from the list, and yet I walk a few meters and it pops up for me to catch.
The order can not be relied on, because if they could give an absolute ordering based on distance they would already have the footprint problem solved.
Actually, the ordering does still tend to be accurate in my experience. I assumed this was because even though it thinks its 200m away, the function will come across the closest pokemon first and output them first on the list.

Conan-san

Honestly fundamentally the main problem here is totally lack of communication. They need to hire someone to just talk to people, if they came out and said they're working on fixing the near by and we'll have a solution soon. Until then we're removing the footsteps to avoid confusion. Something like that, then people would be more accepting. Instead they remove it and don't tell anyone their plans, so everyone just assumes the worst.
Yeah, like anyone would take that job even if it paid for the mountain of abuse they'll now get.

Honestly, they should just make the list work on the client side and be done with it. I'm fine playing with or without pokevision but the tracker is the one thing that keeps the sense of exploration alive.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still playing the heck out of the game, I just hope they do end up fixing it.

jokkir

PokeDetector (notifies you if a Pokemon is within close proximity/catching distance when your game is closed) seems to have been removed from the Play Store too :(

Zafir

I guess as I suggested above it only makes sense power-wise for OLED phones which no iPhone is (yet), but it sucks because I used it to prevent pocket input.

It was also causing the game to bug out more than if you didn't use the power-saver mode. I don't know if that was one of the reasons. I mean it could be if they decided to remove the footsteps because it was broken.

Nibel

Not really angry about the 3-step thing since it didn't work in the first place and I rather just go places and then pop into Pokemon instead of trying to track them down

tbh this is part of the fun for me, finding out how good a Pokemon with high CP really is and considering investing candies into it lol

Dougald

They also removed battery saver mode, along with the footprint tracker?

Pokemon Go: Fixing problems by removing features

On iOS (iPhone 6s at least) the games compass still just assumes North is whatever direction your phone was facing when you started the game. What a mess.

dmr87

Of course, after we've been our for 8-12 hours I sit down at home looking at spreadsheets and calculators.

ymgve

Actually, the ordering does still tend to be accurate in my experience. I assumed this was because even though it thinks its 200m away, the function will come across the closest pokemon first and output them first on the list.

Ordering is probably based on how they have Pokespawns organized in their database, might be related to what S2 cells they are in. All I can say for certain is that the second closest Pokemon to me according to my Pokemap is a Rhyhorn and it's on the bottom row.

(It is also on the fourth closest Pokespawn, so even if there were Pokemon in all of them, the Rhyhorn still shouldn't have been at the bottom)

Top Bottom