• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

125ho9h.gif

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
DuckRacer said:
And when should that info be posted, Sunday in japan (or Saturday night in America)?

I dont think CoroCoro is out until the 15th.

Firestorm

DuckRacer said:
And when should that info be posted, Sunday in japan (or Saturday night in America)?
That's Pokemon Sunday. I'm not sure when Coro Coro comes out but it's after Pokemon Sunday. Monday maybe? Someone in Japan probably knows when it usually comes out.

Azuran

Banned
Words can't describe how gleeful I'm fleeing right now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go try to find and hopefully play with old copy of Pokemon Gold.

Good day.

:D

hinode

Regulus Tera said:
You can always tinker with the DS' clock if it bothers you that much.

Pal Park gets locked out for 24 hours if you touch the DS internal clock even slightly, and I vaguely recall the rest of time-specific events getting the same lockout if you change the time by too large a margin or too often. Never done it myself for anything other than daylight savings and moving between time zones, so I'm not clear on the details.

Point is, Gamefreak actively coded the previous games to discourage DS clock abuse, there's no reason to assume they won't with these as well. It's not an issue in DPP because the time limited events are so scarce and insignificant, but it would be problematic if large amounts of sidequests or even plot evens depended on very narrow time slots or if there was some significant sidequest that was only available for a day or two per month, which some people seemed to be suggesting earlier in the thread. Nintendo has good reasons to go light on time-based stuff that isn't primarily cosmetic.

Incidentally, it was completely impossible to change the clock in Crystal beyond one hour for daylight savings. This created some issues when I went over to China on vacation for several months.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay someone clue me in on this... I played Gold, in fact it's the ONLY Pokemon game I've played all the way through. I didn't think it was a marvelous/amazing RPG back when I played it, and I really don't think so now. It's fun and addicting yeah, but it's also a real fucking grind.

So why the excitement over these two games? I'm ignorant, I don't get it. Is it the fact that you all played this game when you were 10-13 and you get to relive the experience over again? I mean it's getting updated GB Color graphics to DS graphics... umm, that isn't exactly mind blowing. Knowing Nintendo, they'll probably just use the sprites from the latest Pokemon game, right?

So someone set me straight: Why is this a big deal and any different from any other of the Pokemon games?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
First Pokemon game that I'll have played through to completion since Gold/Silver, funnily enough. :lol

HUELEN10

Ultimate Question.

You know me, never EVER touched a poke game before. Now that these have been announced, what should my first be?

Soul Silver, Diamond, or Platinum?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10 said:
Ultimate Question.

You know me, never EVER touched a poke game before. Now that these have been announced, what should my first be?

I'd wait for SS/HG, but I haven't played The P/D/P series so I can't fairly say.

Jiggy

HUELEN10 said:
Ultimate Question.

Not Diamond.

Silver vs. Platinum is impossible to determine for me until we know more. I can tell you that Platinum is my favorite incarnation of a Pokemon game while Silver is a remake of my least favorite (edit: narrowly so), but Emerald's staggering improvements over Ruby/Sapphire proved to me that GameFreak is completely capable of kicking a region that's on the bottom rung with me up to top tier. Even I wouldn't count Silver out right now.

Jiggy said:
Not Diamond.

Silver vs. Platinum is impossible to determine for me until we know more. I can tell you that Platinum is my favorite incarnation of a Pokemon game
Why is that?

I haven't really looked at Plt (other than the "mostly-cool-from-what-I-have-seen" sprite changes and a friend telling me it was really good). Whats soo grand about it?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wii Will Rock U said:
NOW don't you guys fucking believe me? :lol

That said...
colbert_called-1.gif

yeah your Firestorm ownage was pretty good :lol nicely done and thanks for breaking the info to GAF.

Emotions

This is certainly good news. I never played them. I wasn't much of a Handheld guy until the DS came out (I regret so badly not getting into handhelds when the GBC or GBA were out) and i've gotten all the GBA versions... so for sure i'll be getting both versions Silver and Gold.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yes! Day one for sure. Now the only thing that is going to suck is waiting for it to be released in the US.

Firestorm

Danthrax said:
yeah your Firestorm ownage was pretty good :lol nicely done and thanks for breaking the info to GAF.
What Firestorm ownage? Any idiot could have "confirmed" this and had a 90% chance of being right :lol

HUELEN10 said:
Ultimate Question.

You know, I know I said Platinum before... but at this point I think you should just pick up Fire Red or Leaf Green. It'll make the end-game of Soul Silver / Heart Gold that much cooler.

Shiggie

Firestorm said:
What Firestorm ownage? Any idiot could have "confirmed" this and had a 90% chance of being right :lol

You know, I know I said Platinum before... but at this point I think you should just pick up Fire Red or Leaf Green. It'll make the end-game of Soul Silver / Heart Gold that much cooler.
OHSHIT! Shots fired!

Eteric Rice

Firestorm said:

This is correct.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Firestorm said:

are you calling WWRU an idiot? OHHH BURRRN how will he reply?

sonicmj1

This means absolutely nothing to me.

Perhaps I'm not like others here, in that I quit the Pokemon franchise after Ruby demonstrated to me that Nintendo seemed interested in nothing but sticking slavishly to the same formula in every Pokemon game they would make. I was a huge fan playing Blue and Gold, but the series didn't seem to be going anywhere. Nothing that has happened since has shown otherwise to me, especially not the emergence of yet another remake.

Wake me up when Nintendo decides to make some real changes to the franchise.

RagnarokX

I wonder how extensive this game will be. Will it just be Johto? If it includes Kanto, will it also have the Sevi Islands?

trinest

RagnarokX said:
I wonder how extensive this game will be. Will it just be Johto? If it includes Kanto, will it also have the Sevi Islands?
Its a remake so it better include everything from the Originals or bust.

Neo Child

Banned
Before this gets posted on "Videogame secrets that will shock you" in 5 years time:

goldsilver.jpg

(Obviousely, Ho-oh's wings shape a heart and Lugia shapes a flame (burning soul).

Neo Child

Banned
Translation below of the Yahoo! announcement (courtesy of pokebeach.com)

We learned on the 7th that "Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver," the second entry in the popular RPG series, originally released on the Gameboy system in November of 1999, will be remade for the Nintendo DS this autumn under the titles "HeartGold" and "SoulSilver." New elements will be added in this tenth anniversary return to the Johto Region.

A continuation of the original series (Pocket Monsters Red, Green, Blue, and Pikachu), Gold and Silver recorded remarkable sales of 23,000,000 copies worldwide. It introduced monsters that hadn't appeared in the gameboy games, along with various new features.

Red and Green, the first games of the Pokemon series, were remade for the Gameboy Advance in 2004 as "Fire Red and Leaf Green," making this the second set of remakes. While Red and Green had fantastic upgrades in their transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Advance, this time the games are skipping the Gameboy Advance and going directly from Gameboy to DS. So they will almost certainly have drastically upgraded graphics and sound. Details will be released on the official site shortly.

Currently in development for the Nintendo DS are the newest entries in the Pokemon series: "Pocket Monsters HeartGold and SoulSilver." Taking place in the Johto region, the games will be upgraded with all of the series' current features and will also be packed with brand new features. This year marks the tenth anniversary of "Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver's" release on the original Gameboy, so its revival is only fitting. Since its release in 1999, the game has sold over 23,000,000 copies worldwide.

Neo Child said:
Before this gets posted on "Videogame secrets that will shock you" in 5 years time:

goldsilver.jpg

(Obviousely, Ho-oh's wings shape a heart and Lugia shapes a flame (burning soul).

Isn't that... the whole point of those?

Jiggy

Black-Wind said:
Why is that?

I haven't really looked at Plt (other than the "mostly-cool-from-what-I-have-seen" sprite changes and a friend telling me it was really good). Whats soo grand about it?
It's Diamond/Pearl except better.

Which of course raises the question of what I like about Diamond/Pearl. I always love Pokemon multiplayer, so let's just put that aside--as far as single-player goes, Diamond/Pearl (and now Platinum) as close as the series has come to making me feel like that can stand on its own. Sinnoh has unmatched diversity in its terrain and weather, the numerous double battle partner sections added some flair, next to no surfing is needed, music's great.

My only serious complaint is that the entire game displayed a reluctance to let non-gym trainers have teams of more than three Pokemon, but that's nothing compared to second-gen's wuss level-40 Elite Four or third-gen's water-fest.

Shiggie

Neo Child said:

goldsilver.jpg

ho-oh's face is blocked by that character.

cooljeanius said:
It seems to be Silver that everyone's battery died on... I want to do a study comparing the number of dead batteries for Gold with the number of dead batteries for Silver. I'm hypothesizing Silver will have more, but why?

My poor copy of Gold suffered the DBoD (dead battery of death).

It was sad because I had so much good stuff on it. :(

my copy of Silver lives

Top Bottom