• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
YESSSSSSSS! Best music in the series, best design, I hope they up the difficulty though, I remember the Blackthorn(? dragon gym) City gym leader had level 25 pokemon.

Also, fighting Red at the end was climactic as all hell. Throughout the game everyone talks about how he's the best, and Blue was the freaking gym leader. Hell, now that I think about it, G/S was the best entry in the series. Platinum is too similar to Ruby-Sapphire, just with less water.

lyre

Zilch said:
Well, all the newest ones will be in these remakes, just like how all the newest ones were in FR/LG.

If this was a straight remake, I'd be irritated to. But this is a remake with all the new features from D/P/Pt plus probably new ones. They're essentially new games.
If this is anything like Fire Red/Leaf Green, they're gonna strip out all of the features that weren't in the original games and only unlock them after you do some stupid arbitrary post game time wasters before the game is back up to speed with D/P/Pl. This will include all the new monsters Advance generation and on, new forms for old monsters, contests and relating features, mining minigame, pretty much a bulk majority of what makes the new games better than the old ones.

TheCardPlayer said:
I doubt that. It's the same damn game with better graphics. :lol
Not even that; it'll use the same engine as the first three DS games and battles will still run slowly.

outunderthestars said:
blah blah
Don't buy them and forget they exist. Problem solved.

TheCardPlayer said:
I doubt that. It's the same damn game with better graphics. :lol
We barely got the conformation that these games even exist. So tell me, who are you that you know more about these games that makes you so assertive in your claim?

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
othersteve said:
Great news I say, as I.....

*takes a deep breath*...

...never played the originals.

*ducks*

You missed out. They were awesome, the leap from RBY to GSC was extremely dramatic.

MindCollizion said:
We barely got the conformation that these games even exist. So tell me, who are you that you know more about these games that makes you so assertive in your claim?
He's certainly not Wii Will Rock U, that's for sure.

Jenga

Banned
rainer516 said:
You missed out. They were awesome, the leap from RBY to GSC was extremely dramatic.
I still remember being so excited when I found about the clock and day/night system.

Blueblur1

All I have is Platinum and I've been bitten by the bug. I gotta stay away from Amazon before I repurchase LG, and Sapphire (or Emerald).

Jenga said:
I still remember being so excited when I found about the clock and day/night system.

I remember the first time I saw the sunset outside and THE SUN SET IN MY GAME AT THE SAME TIME HOLY SHIT

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well if this is much faster than D/P I'll give it a try. D/P were not playable for me for long periods of time.

rainer516 said:
Everyone tells me they're the best of the series, starting with my brother. He swears he spent hundreds of hours playing his copy of Gold.

Needless to say I'm pretty excited to check it out on DS.

Zilch

Banned
lyre said:
If this is anything like Fire Red/Leaf Green, they're gonna strip out all of the features that weren't in the original games and only unlock them after you do some stupid arbitrary post game time wasters before the game is back up to speed with D/P/Pl. This will include all the new monsters Advance generation and on, new forms for old monsters, contests and relating features, mining minigame, pretty much a bulk majority of what makes the new games better than the old ones.

Oh yeah, I forgot that that's how it worked in FR/LG.

Well, hopefully they aren't designing G/S like that. We'll see.

pokeness.gif

I'll try to catch most of 'em, I guess.

Wii Will Rock U said:
He's certainly not Wii Will Rock U, that's for sure.
Good job on bringing us the confirmation first in the other thread man! I would like to add my guess for the NA release date: March 28, 2010.

Teknoman

Hopefully this will bring about a better GAF battle atmosphere. Platinum brought a few people back, but not as many as I hoped.

Now to keep fingers crossed for a great Pokemon Wii game.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Huzzah. It'll be great to have every generation of Pokemon playable on the same system. :D

The only particular thing I want is faster battles. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the DS Dragon Quest remakes in this regard, but I'd love an option to make the text go by as fast as those games.

Jiggy

Black-Wind said:
For me? Nothing really. I liked the 3rd gen more than that one and the 4th gen more than the 3rd.
Yeah, I'm not sure whether second-gen or third-gen is my least favorite for single-player--Johto has its lame T-shape that kept the journey feeling too linear to me (instead of a mass of intricately-interconnected cities which are also linear but feel otherwise) while Hoenn has its enormous expanse of water--but it doesn't matter much since they're still awesome games to me either way.

celebi23

All this excitement and nostalgia is making me a little sad. I used to have that G/S Preorder CD thing and kinda lost it when my family moved 5 years ago. Might anyone be able to create a digital copy of it and send it to me via the incredible technology that is the Internet? :D

vanty

Gold is still my favourite since it's the only game I've ever got any shiny Pokemon in (not counting the red Gyarados). Can't wait for these.

Ballistictiger said:
This is Pokemon. The series hasn't really evolved in graphics and it really never had a huge leap in one.

Gold and Silver is my favorite version. Everything after that is a huge disappointment. There's 2 countries in this one yet every game afterwards doesn't have that.

Honen and Sinnoh are just as big as Kanto + Johto.

D-Pad

HELL YEEEEEEEEAAAH! Soul Silver AND Heart Gold. :D

SuperSonic1305 said:
Not falling for it again Nintendo. I'll wait for Courage Crystal.

:lol I'm hoping the features from Crystal are included. Like the ability to catch Poliwag early on, and the whole thing with Suicune...

MarkusRJR

D-Pad said:
HELL YEEEEEEEEAAAH! Soul Silver AND Heart Gold. :D
QFT! Both on fucking DAY ONE! :D

EDIT: I remember being an addict to the game (gold/silver) as a kid. I ended up having over 300 hours on it and
I finally got to Red. I saved the game literally RIGHT in front of him so I could fight him over and over again if I wanted to.
Then I put the game down on my bedroom table so I change out the cartridge to play some Pokemon Silver.

I come back the next day to find my cartridge missing off of the table. I spent a full month nonstop looking for the cartridge until I mentioned it to my mom... at which point she told me this:

"oh... that orange thing on your table? I thought it was some crappy Mcdonald's toy and I threw it out. Don't need any more junk in this house."

FUCK THAT SHIT. I WAS AT THE VERY END AND NEVER GOT TO SEE THE ENDING! :'(

...Never forget. Never. Fucking. Forget.

joetachi

SuperSonic1305 said:
Not falling for it again Nintendo. I'll wait for Courage Crystal.
They will keep you waiting the remakes don't get a third version it happend with fire red and leaf green.

Jenga said:
So do I. But the battery is dead ;_;
It seems to be Silver that everyone's battery died on... I want to do a study comparing the number of dead batteries for Gold with the number of dead batteries for Silver. I'm hypothesizing Silver will have more, but why?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Teknoman said:
Looks like a pretty good leap considering the hardware the games release on:

Bulbasaur_pokemon_red.png
god I had so many ridiculous hours into Pokemon Red on GBC.

<3 charmander

jman2050

I remember my days reading up on any new info regarding Gold and Silver, and playing an acquired half-translated Gold ROM long before it was ever released here, spending hours marveling at Johto, the new additions, and of course spending hours trying to figure out what to do when the translation went all moonspeak on me.

Also 5 characters for Pokemon names. I sure trained the hell out of my HINOA that's for sure :lol

Top Bottom