• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sword and Shield Developers Feel Cutting Down the Roster of Pokemon Was Inevitable

xGreir

No. Most people don't make mountains out of molehills, which is most assuredly what you are doing. The game isn't out yet and you act as if it is the end of days for pokemon.

Don't try, he is obviously trolling.

At least I hope so, If not, I wish his hatred lets him live :c

buizel

Banned
Just didnt need to rush through the gens like you did. So many opportunites for amazing spin offs that only Gen 1 and 2 really got. Pinball, Puzzle League, Snap , Trading Card Game - imagine if they had not rushed through the generations and we'd have gotten a version for each gen - Black/White Pinball would be amazing, I love that series. Trading Card Game - oof, so much potential for GBA/DS games at the time - did they port the Online one to Switch?

Anyway, god why cant they put money into this fucking game. I love pokemon as much as the next person but look at last gen Zelda BoTW and then this gen Pokemon - WOW UPREZ 3DEE ESS.

If they were gunna cut down the pokemon, just do the original 151 in a BoTW style game LIKE WE ALWAYS WANTED. ILL BE DEAD BEFORE THIS HAPPENS NOW

Saber

Gold Member
I for one think they could drop that stupid farming new mons yearly "cuz moni and lot ofi worky" and focus on remakes.

Platinum and Black/White would love a good remake. These are mine top 2 games(mainly B/W)and I would be pleased to revisit.

MagnesG

Banned
I for one think they could drop that stupid farming new mons yearly "cuz moni and lot ofi worky" and focus on remakes.

Platinum and Black/White would love a good remake. These are mine top 2 games(mainly B/W)and I would be pleased to revisit.
No. that's what most people want, even me personally. If they want to do remakes, do that in a 2 year timeframe with new entries in development along the way.

Saber

Gold Member
No. that's what most people want, even me personally. If they want to do remakes, do that in a 2 year timeframe with new entries in development along the way.

I am pretty sure that I didn't state what people want. What people want is whatever the crap new gen has to offer in terms of new mons and then move to the next gen.

For me it's better off doing remakes because its gives them a better time frame for new gens. I don't remember this being a bad move at all, things get update with each new gen while older gens get left behind. Not to mention that GF is that lame to the point of just doing moveset updates when remakes are made.

Last edited:

Fake

edit: The tweet that get quoted was deleted by the user. Thx god I take a SS.
This is the original tweet that got quoted.

IVEjLeY.png

And that the answer ahead. Just follow the tweet. If anyone is curious just keep reading the next tweets. He explain for more context.

Last edited:

leo-j

There are too many Pokemon, I was okay with it until we decided to go past black and white into 500 more Pokemon..... I’m like dude..... that’s too much

MagnesG

Banned
edit: The tweet that get quoted was deleted by the user. Thx god I take a SS.
This is the original tweet that got quoted.

IVEjLeY.png

And that the answer:

Is there an answer (sort of) from that long tweets from Lewis? I skimmed through and I'm not seeing any evidence. Only thing that was obvious was the models from Let's Go having the same type of file with the 3ds ones. Though hypothetically the company would want to continue using the same file type even if they were tweaked or remade.

All I see is a community consumed with rage and few people feeding off from that. I guess that clicks really matters.

Saber

Gold Member
Is there an answer (sort of) from that long tweets from Lewis? I skimmed through and I'm not seeing any evidence. Only thing that was obvious was the models from Let's Go having the same type of file with the 3ds ones. Though hypothetically the company would want to continue using the same file type even if they were tweaked or remade.

All I see is a community consumed with rage and few people feeding off from that. I guess that clicks really matters.

This Xeno guy was the first one and was responsible to make a tweet confirming that all Pokemon models from Sw/Sh are remade. The tweet kinda attracted a lot of attention with something like 10k of likes.

In the end some people questioned him, making comparison with the models from Lets go(this guy), while others make comparisons with the footage from the game itself(the one with Lucario for instance). Turns out this was a bad translation from the article that "Masuda said" to remade all models from scratch. The guy behind the tweet deleted the tweet and later apologizes from bringing this up.

It's true though that those aren't 100% proof(well, until datamine comes), but still a supporting evidence. Very different from the ones who believe that those models are remade, but yet don't have anything to support that.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
This Xeno guy was the first one and was responsible to make a tweet confirming that all Pokemon models from Sw/Sh are remade. The tweet kinda attracted a lot of attention with something like 10k of likes.

In the end some people questioned him, making comparison with the models from Lets go(this guy), while others make comparisons with the footage from the game itself(the one with Lucario for instance). Turns out this was a bad translation from the article that "Masuda said" to remade all models from scratch. The guy behind the tweet deleted the tweet and later apologizes from bringing this up.

It's true though that those aren't 100% proof(well, until datamine comes), but still a supporting evidence. Very different from the ones who believe that those models are remade, but yet don't have anything to support that.
Are those includes the walking animations as well? Regardless, the justification to pitchfork at everything this community does, pretty much proves my point, and they are still gonna bought the game, engage in the online stuffs, then maybe rant a little more. Those who haven't bought the series since Ruby/Sapphire (or whenever) are not even the target customers since ages, their whining means laughably nothing.

Edit:
Masuda's being vague in his sentences regarding the models being remade or not, he did not specify, he's saying those words in general. So we don't even know which one of the models were remade or maybe the animations. Though I would say that still counts as support evidence.

Last edited:

xGreir

So... At the end of the day, just a new excuse to bring hate and discussion, and taking the "pride" of having the truth.

Ok ok. I'll stay here quietly enjoying the games instead, just don't mind me.

Saber

Gold Member
Are those includes the walking animations as well? Regardless, the justification to pitchfork at everything this community does, pretty much proves my point, and they are still gonna bought the game, engage in the online stuffs, then maybe rant a little more. Those who haven't bought the series since Ruby/Sapphire (or whenever) are not even the target customers since ages, their whining means laughably nothing.

Edit:
Masuda's being vague in his sentences regarding the models being remade or not, he did not specify, he's saying those words in general. So we don't even know which one of the models were remade or maybe the animations. Though I would say that still counts as support evidence.

I'm not talking about the ranting or the rage of community, can you both take that aside for a moment lol. The point in there was simply the spread of misinformation for one of sides.

As for walking animations, I'm not sure. Those aways existed since XY. Their future proof models aways had their walking animations. Not sure the SwSh has as well.

As for Masuda, yes indeed. This was all the point of people disproving the bad translation, because of how much vague Masuda was. Who knows, maybe he was talking about Gigantamax/Dynamax forms or New mons.

Last edited:
so's a reboot so get the fuck on with it.

I really do not like calling devs lazy as it's horrible and insulting to those that work really hard on the titles.. but fuck me GameFreak are idle as fuck.

I have a feeling that Pokemon Spear (or Pokemon Claymore and Pokemon Targe) is going to have the full roster. This reeks of GF just being lazy and putting off importing the S&M models/updating them.

Blancka

I have a feeling that Pokemon Spear (or Pokemon Claymore and Pokemon Targe) is going to have the full roster. This reeks of GF just being lazy and putting off importing the S&M models/updating them.
I'd legit quit the series if that turns out to be the case. I'm less so bummed about the dex being cut than I am about how the game looks very low budget and unimpressive compared to other switch games, as well as their excuses for this when it looks like a low budget indie title from 5-10 years ago. That being said, if they cut the roster, and then bring it back in their mid-gen update game, forcing a second purchase to continue online battling It'll be the end of the series for me. I'm already annoyed the pokeball plus won't work as a controller for the new games, and I'm not gonna spend money on an online sub for a switch, pokemon bank/home, as well as multiple game purchases for what amounts to a 3ds game with a slightly higher resolution.

Saber

Gold Member
I’d bet if there were 2,000 Pokémon people would still be upset not ALL 2,000 were included

If the balance, subpar visuals and quality of the game are still be used as an excuse, I'm afraid yes people would be still upset.

But that would something in about 2049, where all the games would basically reality/groundbreaking visuals , while Gamefreak would finally start matching PS3/Xbox360 graphics by that point.

Last edited:
I can understand the underwhelming graphics point but people forget that they just made a Pokémon game last year, then they had to make sword and Shield, and now they will have to work on another Pokémon game. They are working on games back to back it doesn’t matter they they are reused assets that shit just ain’t drag in drop they were eventually going to have to cut some Pokémon and like really how useful are every one of those 1000 Pokémon huh?

Saber

Gold Member
I can understand the underwhelming graphics point but people forget that they just made a Pokémon game last year, then they had to make sword and Shield, and now they will have to work on another Pokémon game. They are working on games back to back it doesn’t matter they they are reused assets that shit just ain’t drag in drop they were eventually going to have to cut some Pokémon and like really how useful are every one of those 1000 Pokémon huh?

When they were developing Let's Go, another team was in charge of Sw/Sh. Lets Go was handled by the novice team while Sw/Sh was handled by the veterans.

We kinda already had this take on the limit of mons, but before I move foward let be clear that GF is no charity company neither are doing us any favor.

Now about limiting, if it was up to me I would hire more people so I could keep up with demand or maybe delay the game(this is an important point here). But if still somehow not possible? Well, thats unfortunate. I would give yah some merit about the quantity of the mons, but again is just a pile of excuses over excuses.

I would choose limiting the number of pokemons if theres no other choice. BUT I would give THE game. Something to cover up for the loss. I would't bother creating new lame ass mechanics so I would drop next gen. I would give all I got and improve every aspect of the game. Graphics, battle mechanics, story, game performance, you name it.

And what makes me believe they're not doing this right now? They never actually put effort to begin with. Their balance is mediocre, new battle mechanics(Mega and Z-moves) are terribly broken(which makes me wonder how Dynamax and Gigantamax gonna end this time), visuals are improving with a speed of a snail and so on.

But to be totally honest, if I was really in charge of pokemon and heard that fans only cares for new mons and then just move on to next gen, I would suck the fuck out of their money. Like, I would implement predactory money grap tatics(like lootboxes and expansive costume DLCs) and realease the game every year with almost nothing changed.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I’d bet if there were 2,000 Pokémon people would still be upset not ALL 2,000 were included
People already said the main problem OUTSIDE the dex was how poorly done the game is coming together. No new models, graphics straight out of Majora's Mask and crap animations. There was no compromise being made here. No Quantity and no quality.
They are working on games back to back it doesn’t matter they they are reused assets that shit just ain’t drag in drop
They aren't, Let's Go was made by another team not to mention the assets you speak off were made by another party. The problem here is how incompetent they are at coding. I don't get the point in defending GF that STILL can't optimize shit and I'd give them a pass if they were some random indie devs with zero budget but they are far from it. This is a team that has been working on games far longer than some people have been alive here.
they were eventually going to have to cut some Pokémon and like really how useful are every one of those 1000 Pokémon huh?
fd18c6d26d4d9d26a0bd9d1a2fb2bd04.png

People already said the main problem OUTSIDE the dex was how poorly done the game is coming together. No new models, graphics straight out of Majora's Mask and crap animations. There was no compromise being made here. No Quantity and no quality.

They aren't, Let's Go was made by another team not to mention the assets you speak off were made by another party. The problem here is how incompetent they are at coding. I don't get the point in defending GF that STILL can't optimize shit and I'd give them a pass if they were some random indie devs with zero budget but they are far from it. This is a team that has been working on games far longer than some people have been alive here.

I would rather blow my brains out than “catch them all” and I’m willing to bet most people don’t even catch half of the Pokémon in most games

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I would rather blow my brains out than “catch them all” and I’m willing to bet most people don’t even catch half of the Pokémon in most games
Just because you aren't up to the task doesn't mean others aren't.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just because you aren't up to the task doesn't mean others aren't.

How many of those players makes up the player base? Are they the majority or the minority? I would argue the latter, but we will see when Sword and Shield releases.

Also, a reminder that you have been making large declarations of a game over what amounts to a very small/short preview of the game. For all you know, there are plenty of excellent new models, animations, and more when the final product releases. You should save these claims until the game is actually out and you can verify them.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How many of those players makes up the player base? Are they the majority or the minority? I would argue the latter, but we will see when Sword and Shield releases.
I have over 720+ pokemons myself. But really, who are you guys to tell others not to want more or to get with the times of mediocrity? "Well I don't do it so why does it even matter?" Read the previous post. "I'd rather kill myself than try to catch all of them!" Well don't? That is a choice! Ridiculous. Just like I don't speak for all the fans of the series you don't either. I in no way want choices removed. Simple stuff right? The fanbase is ridiculously big and I think it is shit people can't play with whatever pkmn they like.
Also, a reminder that you have been making large declarations of a game over what amounts to a very small/short preview of the game. For all you know, there are plenty of excellent new models, animations, and more when the final product releases. You should save these claims until the game is actually out and you can verify them.
The game releases in November right? If you think anything is going to change from those previews to when it releases good for you!

tyj3HyW.gif

I have over 720+ pokemons myself. But really, who are you guys to tell others not to want more or to get with the times of mediocrity? "Well I don't do it so why does it even matter?" Read the previous post. "I'd rather kill myself than try to catch all of them!" Well don't? That is a choice! Ridiculous. Just like I don't speak for all the fans of the series you don't either. I in no way want choices removed. Simple stuff right? The fanbase is ridiculously big and I think it is shit people can't play with whatever pkmn they like.

The game releases in November right? If you think anything is going to change from those previews to when it releases good for you!

tyj3HyW.gif
So mediocrity is not including a bunch of worthless Pokémon now? I’m sorry but it’s just reality that they can’t keep putting every single Pokémon from every single game for the end of time. That is just unrealistic thinking especially wanting them to improve graphics and animations every time. Time =money

Psajdak

Banned
From what little I played on before on emulators, catching new different species really isn't that hard, especially if that is your primary focus.

Pokemon games are RPGs anyway, so one way or another, you ARE gonna have to go through a lot of random battles, so instead of beating every single one you encounter,, you can easily catch one you still don't have.

And use some of them in battle, until they evolve.

I think only those that need trading to be obtained are the biggest pain in the ass, though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So mediocrity is not including a bunch of worthless Pokémon now? I’m sorry but it’s just reality that they can’t keep putting every single Pokémon from every single game for the end of time. That is just unrealistic thinking especially wanting them to improve graphics and animations every time. Time =money
I in no way want choices removed. Simple stuff right? The fanbase is ridiculously big and I think it is shit people can't play with whatever pkmn they like.
I would rather blow my brains out than repeat myself again.
owvazethyf0z.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I am not telling you to do anything. Don't create silly strawmen/disingenuous statements like that. I simply asked if the people who "catch them all" were in the majority or minority of pokemon fans.

tyj3HyW.gif

Again, how much of the game have you seen? 5%? 10%? 40%? I doubt it was even 2% of the final product.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No.

A preview is a small sample of what the game will be. Usually something that will wow the crowd. Do I really have to explain further?

A preview is a tiny portion of the game. Rarely is it indicative of everything the game offers. Do I really have to explain further?

Also I never asked you to repeat yourself. Why is it that you are constantly relying on childish disingenuous claims?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Mediocrity is that they are possibly re-using their already future proof models. And the trade off for limiting the pokemonn is well...basically nothing.

People seems to call them innovative, when Pokemon basically is not doing anything new. The reality is that they're the slowpokes of all companies.

Theres some real lame falacy about the "You can't catch them all" argument. The main premise here is not just capturing all mons, but allowing them to exist in the game. Remember, just because there are pokemon that you and me doesn't like or pokemon that you considered "worthless" doesn't mean there are people out there that like them.

Again, how much of the game have you seen? 5%? 10%? 40%? I doubt it was even 2% of the final product.

How long people gonna use this as an excuse? Those are supposed to be a sample to people see what the game has to offer. Not something to spam "hey you can't criticize this because it's not final".

Last edited:
I would rather blow my brains out than repeat myself again.
owvazethyf0z.jpg
No need. I see you are stuck in Fantasy land where every Pokémon game should be designed to cater to the (most likely) small percentage of the fan base that wants to collect 800+ Pokémon every game. Don’t like it don’t buy it. Vote with your wallet

Mediocrity is that they are possibly re-using their already future proof models. And the trade off for limiting the pokemonn is well...basically nothing.

People seems to call them innovative, when Pokemon basically is not doing anything new. The reality is that they're the slowpokes of all companies.

Theres some real lame falacy about the "You can't catch them all" argument. The main premise here is not just capturing all mons, but allowing them to exist in the game. Remember, just because there are pokemon that you and me doesn't like or pokemon that you considered "worthless" doesn't mean there are people out there that like them.

How long people gonna use this as an excuse? Those are supposed to be a sample to people see what the game has to offer. Not something to spam "hey you can't criticize the because it's not final".
Let’s be real here though. Pokémon, COD, and FIFA are the biggest asset flips in the AAA industry.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
A preview is a tiny portion of the game. Rarely is it indicative of everything the game offers. Do I really have to explain further?
The preview showed you general movement and showcased some moves. Which looked horrible. It showed you the world, the models and the AMAZING giant pokemon battles. That is what the game is going to be like in general. That is all. If you think they are gonna "polish" it then that is on you Vivi.

Yeah but who cares I know I don't! /s

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

How long people gonna use this as an excuse? Those are supposed to be a sample to people see what the game has to offer. Not something to spam "hey you can't criticize this because it's not final".

Criticizing is fine. Making claims that the entire game will be exactly like what was seen in the preview, that *all* the animations/models are terrible - that is not criticism. Those are baseless claims unless they have happened to see the majority of the game. Which they have admitted to not doing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No need. I see you are stuck in Fantasy land where every Pokémon game should be designed to cater to the (most likely) small percentage of the fan base that wants to collect 800+ Pokémon every game. Don’t like it don’t buy it. Vote with your wallet
Here is my take, If they cant have more detail graphics then they better have strong art direction to make up for it, like Atlus does for their games. My personal biggest issue with Sword/Shield's visuals is not graphics but rather its dull art direction.

Saber

Gold Member
Making claims that the entire game will be exactly like what was seen in the preview, that *all* the animations/models are terrible - that is not criticism. Those are baseless claims unless they have happened to see the majority of the game. Which they have admitted to not doing.

Theres nothing to support that they would change the game visually for the best. I can to a some point agree that they will fix the glitches present in the game for obvious reasons, but thats it. I simply base that in the past game.

As for the models looks terrible, thats a totally valid argument. The game didn't change much in terms of models. They even used recycled animations for human models as well. We're not talking about 3DS limitations here, this is a Switch. A well know console to handle a lot of ports with minimal graphical sacrifices. Gamefreak just lost their zone of comfort, in this case "hardware limitations".

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Theres nothing to support that they would change the game visually for the best. I can to a some point agree that they will fix the glitches present in the game for obvious reasons, but thats it. I simply base that in the past game.

As for the models looks terrible, thats a totally valid argument. The game didn't change much in terms of models. They even used recycled animations for human models as well. We're not talking about 3DS limitations here, this is a Switch. A well know console to handle a lot of ports with minimal graphical sacrifices. Gamefreak just lost their zone of comfort, in this case "hardware limitations".

Games are simply better when there's hardware limitations. It encourages developers to give everything they have to push the console in ways never thought possible.

Saber

Gold Member
Games are simply better when there's hardware limitations. It encourages developers to give everything they have to push the console in ways never thought possible.

Totally agree with that part.

But it doesn't mean that applies in this case to GF, since they're pretty much used to doing games on portable consoles.

Top Bottom