• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sword and Shield Developers Feel Cutting Down the Roster of Pokemon Was Inevitable

Ascend

Next time they can outsource it to the studios making cheap chinese mobile ripoffs:

Gamefreak aren't pushing themselves anymore. They have acquired the attitude of "it will sell anyway". They need a wake-up call, especially since N64 Pokemon animations of Pokemon Stadium, a game over 20 years old, are vastly superior to what we've seen from Sword & Shield.

Blancka

Gamefreak aren't pushing themselves anymore. They have acquired the attitude of "it will sell anyway". They need a wake-up call, especially since N64 Pokemon animations of Pokemon Stadium, a game over 20 years old, are vastly superior to what we've seen from Sword & Shield.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Anymore

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

What I find sad is that they could use N64 models at least as a base to make pokemon models more expressive.

IKSTUGA

I still don't care about the cut roster too much. At this point my only worry is that gigashit mechanic is gonna play a major part in this game. It looks even stupider than z-moves and I HATED those.

joe_zazen

I guarantee you this outcry would have been much less, and the decision much better received long-term, if you actually took this opportunity to do something DIFFERENT with Pokemon. There'd still be people upset, but people in the long run would better understand that "Hey, we're making something brand new here, it's a lot of work, and as a result we couldn't include as many Pokemon as traditional." Instead we get "Here is literally the same game you've been playing for decades, now just with less stuff overall." And then on top lying about the reasons for it. Ridiculous.

Pokemon is a proven formula that has hooked children for like 20+ years, changing a successful formula would be bad business.

The real problem for GF is they cant come out and say ”Our target demo is 6-13 year olds, and they dont care that there aren’t 1000 pokemon with ‘ground up’ animations and radical new giant open world gameplay, so there is no ROI for doing that”.

Vbrasa

I believe it's the problem with, fans wanting an annual release and Game Freak not being entirely prepared for the new gen.

I think it's fine that they cut down the roster so that players are forced to try out all the new Pokemon to see what they're capable of instead of just grabbing their usual teams of meta, it forces somewhat of new strategies to come to play. Think of it more of a rebalancing of the game for now, while they decide what to do with the other 3294809 Pokemon.

Just as long as Miltank and Nidoqueen are in the game, that's all that matters.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Next time they can outsource it to the studios making cheap chinese mobile ripoffs:

Yep, that Chinese mobile game ripoff that uses animations ripped directly from Pokken tournament with a handful of unique animations for less than 9% of the total Pokemon. That truly is a marvelous feat. /s

I am willing to bet it was because they were told about the Switch Lite and that Nintendo was basically phasing out 3DS entirely. They were clearly going to do this on the 3DS but then someone told them to shift focus over to Switch and they had to rush everything.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If the world and animation were of higher quality i’d agree with their statements, but considering the low graphics quality, as well as the fact the most pokemon models and animations are just straight up copies from Sun&Moon, it is obvious that they were just cheap.
I wont buy this gen at full price.

nocsi

I am willing to bet it was because they were told about the Switch Lite and that Nintendo was basically phasing out 3DS entirely. They were clearly going to do this on the 3DS but then someone told them to shift focus over to Switch and they had to rush everything.
No. It's because they're incompetent as shit. This is the same group that needed Satoru Iwata to come in to compress their shit to fit Kanto into pokemon gold/silver. People need to stop trying to make excuses for Game Freak, we have middle schoolers that can code better than these incompetents

Jubenhimer

Like, It's fine if its too much of a workload. But this just illustrates how inefficient and behind the times Game Freak actually is regarding development and technology. HD development is a non-issue to the majority of developers these days, and Game Freak is still one of the few who are painfully struggling with it.

Like, It's fine if its too much of a workload. But this just illustrates how inefficient and behind the times Game Freak actually is regarding development and technology. HD development is a non-issue to the majority of developers these days, and Game Freak is still one of the few who are painfully struggling with it.
But they release a pokemon game almost every year. New main series game + remake of an old one. If they release one game every 4 years or so, then they might get better at HD development. But I don't think the fans and most likely, TPC would want a pokemon game from them every 4 years or so

No. It's because they're incompetent as shit. This is the same group that needed Satoru Iwata to come in to compress their shit to fit Kanto into pokemon gold/silver. People need to stop trying to make excuses for Game Freak, we have middle schoolers that can code better than these incompetents
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Yellow, so I don't know shit.

Jubenhimer

But they release a pokemon game almost every year. New main series game + remake of an old one. If they release one game every 4 years or so, then they might get better at HD development. But I don't think the fans and most likely, TPC would want a pokemon game from them every 4 years or so

Sure, the yearly release cycle might be a problem, but Game Freak is embarrassing with their incompetent programing. Seriously, Low budget indie studios can get more polished games out faster than them. I think the crux of the problem is that they're still using that dated, aging 3DS engine. You know, an engine developed when they only had 240p resolutions to render? Just make a new engine with the Switch in mind, and you'll solve at least 70% of your problems. Nintendo had to learn that the hard way durring the Wii U days. They struggled getting games out on Wii U due to their GameCube era tech being inefficient for modern displays. Now we have the Switch, with most games now designed specifically for its hardware, and they're back to getting games out on a semi-regular basis.

Last edited:

xGreir

As a competitive player: I'm OK with the decision, and I can't stop laughing about the cries of some of the worst toxic pieces of shit out there that were claiming things like "#firemasuda"

There are things than can be criticised about the games, but now I just want to see some punishment to all the toxic Fandom.

Will u accept no more chances of seeing all the pokemon together as a backslash for your horrible attitude?

Never developing better animations?

Bcs that's what u deserve (that huge part of the community, I mean)

Last edited:

Fake

There are things than can be criticised about the games, but now I just want to see some punishment to all the toxic Fandom.
Yikes. Good luck with that mate.
Using a toxic community as a excuse for not making a decent game its not right.
BTW, the same people that call 'toxic' this sittuation are the same some time ago bashing EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda for those moves, so...
Strange when Nintendo does the same move people take a defensive position. Very curious in fact.
In the end of day everyone will get a rushed game. I hope is worth.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Hmm..that soesn't sound so odd. It would explain why they're saying that Lite wasn't made to substitute 3DS, even though thats probably what gonna happen.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Gamefreak didn't work on Pokemon Stadium.

xGreir

Yikes. Good luck with that mate.
Using a toxic community as a excuse for not making a decent game its not right.
BTW, the same people that call 'toxic' this sittuation are the same some time ago bashing EA/Ubisoft/Bethesda for those moves, so...
Strange when Nintendo does the same move people take a defensive position. Very curious in fact.
In the end of day everyone will get a rushed game. I hope is worth.

What moves? Tbh I think these pokemon games are not only decent, but impressive xDDDD

Don't you think trying to get fired one of the responsibles of your favorite sagas because of your rants deserves some "response"?

Just saying

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Why don't they just release the rest of the Pokemon via expansion pack or in a downloadable update?

Are they really going to go the entire Switch generation and use the excuse "but it's haaaaaaaaaaard"?

Whatever. I've done my part and haven't bought a Pokemon game since Black/White. Hit them where it hurts and just vote with your wallet.

Last edited:

Ascend

Gamefreak didn't work on Pokemon Stadium.
I know. They didn't work on any of the 'spin-off' games. That doesn't take away the fact that Stadium is over 20 years old, and they should have caught up by now. They have a relatively powerful console at their disposal. Sure, the focus of the games is different, but, it's time for them to take the next step up. It's kind of embarrassing when other studios do those things better than the main developer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think they're right but they should just reboot the series completely instead, just rework the whole concept from scratch without having to remain faithful to what was (besides the level of quality and balanced PVP capable combat). Make a new first-gen of 151 or whatever mons. A cohesive mix of the best from every generation and new stuff, even if some fan favorites have to be left out. Then iterate on that, hopefully with less misses and bullshit than the pre-reboot series grew to have. Continue supporting the last/best of the pre-reboot games for people who dig that and increasingly shift support to the new generation that is not compatible with any of the previous stuff, from the available pokemon to the bank, the lore, the storyline tone and the actual game rules, but is ever expanding and improving. A real Pokemon 2 unrelated to the original like Final Fantasy titles do.

Last edited:

FStubbs

If this were the case, we'd be seeing 3DS level graphics (which ... we are) and all the Pokemon from Sun+Moon.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think they're right but they should just reboot the series completely instead, just rework the whole concept from scratch without having to remain faithful to what was (besides the level of quality and balanced PVP capable combat). Make a new first-gen of 151 or whatever mons. A cohesive mix of the best from every generation and new stuff, even if some fan favorites have to be left out. Then iterate on that, hopefully with less misses and bullshit than the pre-reboot series grew to have. Continue supporting the last/best of the pre-reboot games for people who dig that and increasingly shift support to the new generation that is not compatible with any of the previous stuff, from the available pokemon to the bank, the lore, the storyline tone and the actual game rules, but is ever expanding and improving. A real Pokemon 2 unrelated to the original like Final Fantasy titles do.

The franchise hasn't gone by the catch-phrase "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" in a long while. There is no need for a reboot as that would only piss off *everyone* instead of the handful of people that are pissed off currently.

Fake

What moves?
Loot box. Just google it.
Don't you think trying to get fired one of the responsibles of your favorite sagas because of your rants deserves some "response"?
No. Because I not a blind fanboy. I love pokemon, but hate the franchise being run that way. This victimism tactic is always used to ignore part of the fanbase.
Haters exist in any game community you. Or you think some people are happy with the way the new God of War have? Just use twitter/facebook for someday and you'll see.
Now using this as an excuse for ignore a decent discussion it's beyond ignorance. Much work must be done and even some loyal fans are sending suggestion for fix that.

Just saying

Fbh

Yep, that Chinese mobile game ripoff that uses animations ripped directly from Pokken tournament with a handful of unique animations for less than 9% of the total Pokemon. That truly is a marvelous feat. /s

Still a more "marvelous" feat than making the new next gen flagship entry into a multi billion dolar gaming franchise which is a core part of the biggest media franchise on the planet and having it look slightly better than a 3DS game with a bunch of recycled low quality and low effort animations

Zaffo

3aa.jpg

Just leaving this here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Still a more "marvelous" feat than making the new next gen flagship entry into a multi billion dolar gaming franchise which is a core part of the biggest media franchise on the planet and having it look slightly better than a 3DS game with a bunch of recycled low quality and low effort animations

Truly a marvelous feat by animating a paltry amount of pokemon, stealing the majority of the animation from another game, and then trying to claim it as their own work. /s

It isn't. Those trying to cling to that narrative are silly people and need to see reality. Now, if those chinese developers did do all the animations without stealing for more than 20% of the pokemon? That would be a surprising feat... but they didn't. They didn't even do 2%.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Pokemon is a proven formula that has hooked children for like 20+ years, changing a successful formula would be bad business.

I understand why you’re saying that and I do get the general rhetoric. But it’s not always true. There are many games that we can name that died literally because of this failure to adapt or evolve.

Guitar hero was the biggest thing on the planet.
Sky landers was a billion dollar franchise
Lego games too aren’t the sellers they were relying heavily on two of the biggest franchises in the world in SW and Marvel.

FIFA is an example of a game where they had to evolve or die because they couldn’t compete with the playability of PES.

Assassins creed is another example - they had to evolve or face extinction.

The difference with Pokemon is that it has a big army of Nintendo fans that will support pretty much everything that comes out on that platform.

If Pokemon was a Sony or MS console exclusive game, I’m not sure SwSh would exist.

Having said all that. I’m not convinced that SwSh will be a bad game! I know there’s outrage about the roster being cut but I’m fricking in the edge of my seat waiting for it. It looks amazing to me! And I’m not the worlds biggest Pokemon fan either. :)

Zaffo

The fitting analogy is Monster Hunter, jumping from portable to more powerful systems got us MH World.

theclaw135

Banned
The world was overpopulated with Pokemon, so getting rid of some was "inevitable?" Who's making this game, Thanos?

Each game raised the number of available Pokemon.
A number that, over a long enough time span, would've approached infinity.

Leading to problems like the game taking unacceptably long to develop, and exhausting the suitable Pokemon species names,

Blancka

3aa.jpg

Just leaving this here.

With the announced Cybersleuth 1 & 2 double pack port coming out just a couple weeks before pokemon I'm thinking of just going full steam ahead on digimon and skipping pokemon entirely. I loved digmon world Dawn and Dusk on the DS and these seem to be the most similar games since them. Digimon games tend to have a decent amount of challenge, compared to pokemon which has been getting worse and worse (LGPE was fun collecting pokemon in, but jesus christ it was impossible to lose in that game, ever.).

Not being able to collect all pokemon is disappointing since I sold my 3ds way back years ago, and after LGPE I wanted to start building a collection (National dex 150 complete, only mewtwo remaining because I've been trying for shiny), but having pokemon cut disheartens me for that.

The game also looks like ass. I was hoping LGPE was that way due to it being essentially a remake, and to their credit, LGPE looked pretty great for the most part, even if I didn't love the art style, but there's textures in S/S that looks like they're from N64 era pokemon.

I guess online battling could be fun, but removing some of the roster doesn't help, and how poorly they handled the online side of LGPE left a sour taste in my mouth. Yeah it's not technically a main series game, but it was a disgrace how it was handled, especially given online is now a paid feature and how having just the OG 151 would have drastically changed things from the standard meta and made for interesting matches.

I think the worst part of all for me personally though is that I couldn't wait for a sinnoh remake to be announced, and now I'd rather they don't destroy my favourite gen with this horrible artstyle and poor textures. At least the games had charm when they were 2d. I really don't like this.

I know it being pokemon means it's a guaranteed success, but hopefully the sales take enough of a hit to set off some alarms that Gamefreak needs some new staff because this is appalling

Saber

Gold Member
Each game raised the number of available Pokemon.
A number that, over a long enough time span, would've approached infinity.

Leading to problems like the game taking unacceptably long to develop, and exhausting the suitable Pokemon species names,

A problem that they created to themselves. By creating dozen and dozen of pokemons without givem themselves enought time, thats the main problem here. They want short release times while constantly create new mons. Its not just a matter of tossing mons, its a matter of tossing basically everything just for farming.

Do you really think that they gonna stick with Dynamax and Gigantamax for the next entries? They're like Z-moves and Megas, nothing but sensations they create every new gen just to push the "innovation" narrative.

Last edited:

Zaffo

Which was ultimately a spinoff, not a mainline entry.

Are Nintendo fans still pushing that narrative?
Ever heard of the fifth fleet? or seen a single interview with the development team?.

World is the current mainline game, and thank fucking god it pushes the franchise forward, instead of rehashing the same outdated models and interface from the original PS2 game.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Ever heard of the fifth fleet? or seen a single interview with the development team?.

World is the current mainline game, and thank fucking god it pushes the franchise forward, instead of rehashing the same outdated models and interface from the original PS2 game.
Lol I l thought he said 3ds entries were the spin offs, guess I was wrong.
Though people literally eat that shit on 3ds multiple times, can't still deny the power of handhelds and local multiplayer. MHW got ported on multiple platforms, took 4 years to be made and sold 12 millions. Good number but eh. We'll see if the newcomers really sticks to the franchise on the next entry or the Iceborne.

xGreir

Loot box. Just google it.

No. Because I not a blind fanboy. I love pokemon, but hate the franchise being run that way. This victimism tactic is always used to ignore part of the fanbase.
Haters exist in any game community you. Or you think some people are happy with the way the new God of War have? Just use twitter/facebook for someday and you'll see.
Now using this as an excuse for ignore a decent discussion it's beyond ignorance. Much work must be done and even some loyal fans are sending suggestion for fix that.

Just saying

Nah, GF did well, the community need some education 😌

Fake

Nah, IMO GF did well, the community need some education 😌
FTFY.
Rumors about Pkmn fans being more blind than Sonic fans are quite true in fact.
You remind me the serebii guy. Keep the good fight dude. You already there.
You don't need to white knight gamefreak dude. They not gonna give you a free game.
just saying

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
FTFY.
You don't need to white knight gamefreak. They don't gonna give you a game.
just saying
"White Knight"

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Nintendo fans aren't pushing that narrative. It was stated directly by the development team, something you would do well to re-read in their interviews. World was developed as a spinoff, not a mainline entry - though that doesn't mean that its success may not pivot toward a new focus (just as Persona is arguably the main focus of the SMT franchise, despite it being a spinoff of SMT proper).

Just leaving this here.

Speaking of Persona, Cybersleuth as far more in common with that game than it does with Pokemon. They are completely different RPGs with completely different focuses. Why are you trying to compare the two? There are far better products that you could use for that comparison such as Yokai Watch.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FTFY.
You don't need to white knight gamefreak dude. They not gonna give you a free game.
just saying

No. Most people don't make mountains out of molehills, which is most assuredly what you are doing. The game isn't out yet and you act as if it is the end of days for pokemon.

Last edited:

Fake

No. Most people don't make mountains out of molehills, which is most assuredly what you are doing. The game isn't out yet and you act as if it is the end of days for pokemon.
I not act like end of the world, but if you or other member just want to start a healthy conversation just use good arguments and a little of sense. Not much to ask, but instead what I keep seeing was or bait or use of some poor translation, with was 'already' proved on twitter is a bad translation from the article.
And is very unlikely somethink will change at the release date take into consideration previous games from Game Freak.
I can understand the low expectation for some fans, just don't expect everyone to be happy and thats all. Happens with every game franchise.

Saber

Gold Member

Well, considering that they have 4 months ahead of us what could happen is some bug fixes with humans models that were showed(like Nessa arm or Champion floating). Other than that I really find unlikely that they would tune up the visuals, pokemon animations, battle animations or even pokemon models.

Zaffo

Nintendo fans aren't pushing that narrative. It was stated directly by the development team, something you would do well to re-read in their interviews. World was developed as a spinoff, not a mainline entry - though that doesn't mean that its success may not pivot toward a new focus (just as Persona is arguably the main focus of the SMT franchise, despite it being a spinoff of SMT proper).

I would but there isn't such an interview to read anywhere on the internet, care to provide a source for your claims?
Maybe i'm just not good enough at the old Google-fu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom