• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 6 million in first week; fastest-selling Switch title yet

iconmaster

Banned

Pokémon Sword and Shield has sold over 6m units globally in its first week, becoming the fastest-selling Switch game ever.

This figure includes both digital and physical sales, The Pokémon Company has announced, doubling that of Pokémon Let's Go's last year which sold 3m in its first week.

Previously, the record opening week for a Switch title was Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which sits at 5m worldwide sales.

Note that this includes both game SKUs, which is maybe cheating a bit. But still.

PrestigiousOrangeHuemul-max-1mb.gif

Be an angry Jigglypuff if old.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
but i thought it sucked? lol there was no doubt it'd sell well. it's pokemon. this is the first Pokemon game i've not bought. i'm just not happy to support the low effort half assed copy & paste job that these game are.

everyone was shitting on this game but shock horror it is selling well. people buying the game just says to Game Freak/Nintendo that they are perfectly happy with those low quality game.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
but i thought it sucked? lol there was no doubt it'd sell well. it's pokemon. this is the first Pokemon game i've not bought. i'm just not happy to support the low effort half assed copy & paste job that these game are.

everyone was shitting on this game but shock horror it is selling well. people buying the game just says to Game Freak/Nintendo that they are perfectly happy with those low quality game.

It does, but as you can say, Pokemon/Nintendo fans will buy whatever low-quality Pokemon-branded thing they're fed. They're the very definition of brand victims.

People are literally going out there to buy BOTH Sword and Shield. That's paying twice as much for two copies of the same game. And yes. That's two copies of the same game. Period.

It's shameful, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Pokemon sells? Wow shocking. Wouldn't have guessed judging their moneycash over the decades.

Surprising would be find someone who though it wouldn't.

Its funny though. It tells alot about the fanbase.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

There's no need to exaggerate, as long it's perfectly serviceable it will sell well, even with minor dissappointments.

It is the new mainline Pokemon.

mcjmetroid

It was always going to sell amazingly well but I've been turned off it to be honest even as a casual Pokemon fan.
I can't be the only one.

Bodatan

Banned
There were legit successful boycott like BFV where the price was reduced a week after released on the markets and still failed to reach unit sales Target and revenues Target.

Bodatan

Banned
I’m sure there are people who bought this that are misinformed or wasn’t informed at all. Give it more time for people to be like wtf, where is this Pokemon?
Most will be like Oh shit this game is awesome! I'mma gonna buy it for my bro and sis too 🥰

Saber

Gold Member
I’m sure there are people who bought this that are misinformed or wasn’t informed at all. Give it more time for people to be like wtf, where is this Pokemon?

Reminds me of a japanese girl on twitter. The one with a fresh Bayleef paint on her nails? I think she said she couldn't wait to play with her Bayleef on SwSh.

MagnesG

Banned
I mean, even if there will be full pokedex people are not gonna get to transfer them until 2020, and thankfully we get to ditch random encounters now so fulfilling the 400 dex would be much easier. I'm just hoping for the online trading stuffs to be totally clean and legit this time around.

Overall I don't miss the National dex even a bit.

Fbh

And that's exactly why they'll never put in the extra effort.
Not only does it blow most AAA out of the water in terms of sales, it probably generates way more revenue too because it's made with a fraction of the budget.

source.gif

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The criticism was brought forth by a loud minority.

Most gamers don't give a shit about what's being said on the Internet. It's been that way since...well, always. that's one of the reasons why I remember very clearly, the DS was ridiculed to the pits of hell, and it still whooped the PSP's ass quite easily.

We have this illusion that the majority of players can't think for themselves. And it is not so.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I bought three copies so that my son (who is 20 now) and I could join in my wife's (the true fan) Pokemon raid battle things. We've been having a lot of fun playing the game as a family.

So yeah, I contributed to three copies sold.

prag16

Banned
Lol everybody told me it was gonna suck. I told them 9 year olds and their parents don't give a shit if it has reused assets, or if it's missing some pokemon or some features compared to some of the older games.

Of course this was going to sell gangbusters.

It all depends on if the games are not returned next month at this rate.

The selling wasn't a problem, but give it time and people are likely to return it if they are not happy.

I would still bet on the game's prices being slashed in the long term. It all depends on the legs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
NeoGAF: "Xbox Scarlett sucks because they're not dropping support for the older consoles"
Also NeoGAF: "Pokemon sucks because they're dropping support for the older Pokemon in Sword and Shield"

You guys crack me up sometimes :messenger_grinning_sweat:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It all depends on if the games are not returned next month at this rate.

The selling wasn't a problem, but give it time and people are likely to return it if they are not happy.

I would still bet on the game's prices being slashed in the long term. It all depends on the legs.

An exercise in goal post moving.

A couple of weeks ago:
So many misisng Pokemon.

Looks like people may boycott and buy the enhanced edition instead now.

Vawn

Banned
Lol everybody told me it was gonna suck. I told them 9 year olds and their parents don't give a shit if it has reused assets, or if it's missing some pokemon or some features compared to some of the older games.

Of course this was going to sell gangbusters.

It can do both.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
NeoGAF: "Xbox Scarlett sucks because they're not dropping support for the older consoles"
Also NeoGAF: "Pokemon sucks because they're dropping support for the older Pokemon in Sword and Shield"

You guys crack me up sometimes :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't know where to start.

First, NeoGAF isn't a person. People argue both sides here, so it makes no sense to say GAF as a whole contradicts itself.

Second, these issues are nowhere comparable or relatable. Pokemon not having all the monsters in the game is in no way related to Scarlett games being required to be played on a base Xbox One.

You. You crack me up.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It does, but as you can say, Pokemon/Nintendo fans will buy whatever low-quality Pokemon-branded thing they're fed. They're the very definition of brand victims.

People are literally going out there to buy BOTH Sword and Shield. That's paying twice as much for two copies of the same game. And yes. That's two copies of the same game. Period.

It's shameful, but it is what it is.

Or it is actually a good game that many enjoy. I know, may be a bit of a surprise to hear that the hate was only a tiny vocal minority.

The only thing shameful is trying to shame others for buying and enjoying a product that you don't.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Or it is actually a good game that many enjoy. I know, may be a bit of a surprise to hear that the hate was only a tiny vocal minority.

The only thing shameful is trying to shame others for buying and enjoying a product that you don't.

I believe it's a good game, but that doesn't excuse it from looking like it was made by a B-tier studio on a very limited budget.

Pokemon is the single biggest entity in all of entertainment. They are charging $60 for the game, instead of the normal $40 they would have charged if it had been a 3DS title.

It is hard to imagine that they'd cheap out this much on the game's engine and performance for such an important franchise. Perhaps, they can get away with this for decades to come, but for something that's valued at billions of dollars, it seems risky to risk the trust of many of their millions of fans just to save a few bucks.

The graphics are way behind the competition. They knowingly released less than the minimum fandom have to come to expect from the franchise in number of Pokemon. The fact, they couldn't figure out how to have your character climb a ladder without freezing the entire world just reeks of incompetence.

Top Bottom