• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y influenced by Kingdom Hearts? ~Spoilers~

botty

Banned
You forgot the amazing follow-up:
tumblr_mc402vsX1H1r00uito1_500.jpg

And they say I am reaching.

Village

I was gonna add a witty remark like everyone else. but this sums up my thoughts on this topic pretty well

You would be wrong since, in the realm of artistic endevours, such as video games, minute things, can influence minute things. So things have a large amount of difference would not even matter, because one minute thing, influenced by a another minute thing.

If the op said

" did Pokemon strait Copy Kh" then yes you have a point

But the op is suggesting that KH may have been an influence, which is reasonable, artistic influences happen.

botty

Banned
You would be wrong since, in the realm of artistic endevours, such as video games, minute things, can influence minute things. So things have a large amount of difference would not even matter, because one minute thing, influenced by a another minute thing.

If the op said

" did Pokemon strait Copy Kh" then yes you have a point

But the op is suggesting that KH may have been an influence, which is reasonable, artistic influences happen.

Also, the "TSF" suggests that the person is ignoring the differences, when I clearly acknowledge and even suggest that it may not be true anyway. Seems people are just shooting down the possibility in some kind of reverse form of "TSF"

Fireblend

Banned
So yeah, for all we know GF employees play KH during lunch breaks.

I just want to get into this argument again to defend Klefki from the haters. Don't worry Klefki, your design's genius.

Uh... I am sure that everything I mentioned up above could have been added within the year+ since DDD was released. And the influence wasn't exclusive to just Dream Drop Distance.
I was being a bit dismissive, so I guess I'll elaborate what I mean.

1. Petting and feeding Pokemon. The first thing I think of isn't Dream Drop Distance. It's this:

I think it's easier to claim that Game Freak took some pointers from Nintendo when it came to petting/feeding creatures in 3D than the idea that they got it from Square Enix. I mean, Nintendogs is right there.

2. "This thing is a lion, but this other thing was a lion first, therefore the other thing must've inspired this thing first". Or, they were both inspired by lions.

3. Ever since gen 4, the Pokemon League has been in some sort of grand structure. G4 had a castle exterior, G5's was more coliseum inspired, with the league itself being very Roman in theme.

G6's castle is inspired by a cathedral, of which there plenty in France. Any one of these could've inspired the design of the league, just like every other French-inspired element in the game.

The final battle's stained glass floor can easily be explained as being part of the cathedral-like design. From the interior with it's high vaulted ceilings, to the stained-glass window on the wall casting a shadow on the ground, to the not-Virgin Mary statue on the top right of the central room... Speaking of the final room in particular: the ascension into the light to enter the room itself, the white veils, Diantha in a white angel-like costume:

Even her last Pokemon (Mega Gardevoir) is basically wearing a wedding dress.

3. "Past Pokemon war" - the idea of a war in the past has been done in the games, ever since Lt. Surge. That said, I'm not sure how exactly the Keyblade War relates to the scenario described by AZ in his little backstory, beyond the fact that they were both wars.

4. The idea of research being used by a villain for evil purposes... that sort of plotline is not exclusive to Kingdom Hearts. Take out the old man, and you could have the whole Master Ball incident in G1 for instance.

5. Both stories have friendship... okay?

6. It's a fairy that has a lock and key design. Inspiration could'v come from the idea of fairy-locks. It even has an exclusive move called Fairy Lock.

I guess I would say that Kingdom Hearts did not invent keys.

In any case, the reason I objected is just as subjective as your post, but I think these reasons are more possible. If anything, I think Dream Eaters took more inspiration from Pokemon in general than the other way around. But I can't back that up, since I haven't played the game.

Foolworm

If SE released a Sora edition and Riku edition of DDD with different monsters that have to be traded to complete the collection as well, would people buy it?

Oh my gosh, Capcom ripped off the Keyblade in Resident Evil too!

Too similar to be a coincidence!

Seriously, ColtraineGF is so right in saying that Pokemon-Amie was an extension of the Nintendogs style of interaction, I HIGHLY doubt that Kingdom Hearts had any impact on Game Freak whatsoever.

Neiteio

oYPiE5k.png

Wait, that's really a pokemon? Why?!
Don't you fucking dare. Klefki is one of the greatest Pokémon ever! :mad:

A fairy that steals keys -- the exact sort of mischievous behavior you'd see in fairy tales. Plus, Steel/Fairy is wonderful typing with two immunities and a ton of resistances, 2X weak to only Fire and Ground. And a Substitute/Thunder Wave/Swagger/Foul Play set is the most insanity-inducing move-set ever known to mankind.

Awesome design. So cute, and according to its Pokedex entry, people entrust it with keys to safes and vaults since it never lets go of the keys it collects. :O

botty

Banned
I was being a bit dismissive, so I guess I'll elaborate what I mean.

1. Petting and feeding Pokemon. The first thing I think of isn't Dream Drop Distance. It's this:

I think it's easier to claim that Game Freak took some pointers from Nintendo when it came to petting/feeding creatures in 3D than the idea that they got it from Square Enix. I mean, Nintendogs is right there.

Yes, I can see this comparison... and would have no trouble accepting it even further had it not taken GameFreak two and a half generations to implement the idea into Pokemon. Prior to Pokemon Amie, GameFreak did have its own version of the features seen in the game: Pokemon Massages, Feeding Pokemon food/puffins, and playing with your Pokemon in various games. We saw this all prior to X/Y, however, it wasn't until after Dream Drop Distance did GameFreak implement it in a way made it seem more Nintendogs-esque. It isn't like GameFreak didn't have the ability to incorporate these features in a game prior to DDD, considering the touch screen and necessity for them was always there.

2. "This thing is a lion, but this other thing was a lion first, therefore the other thing must've inspired this thing first". Or, they were both inspired by lions.

It's not so much that the designs are similar, but rather that the chosen animals/creatures that were used for the few new pokemon just so happened to be prominent new enemies in Kingdom Hearts DDD. What's ironic here is that this gen offered the least amount of New pokemon, yet it's the only generation with that has this many similarly inspired creatures as the Dream Eaters.

3. Ever since gen 4, the Pokemon League has been in some sort of grand structure. G4 had a castle exterior, G5's was more coliseum inspired, with the league itself being very Roman in theme.

G6's castle is inspired by a cathedral, of which there plenty in France. Any one of these could've inspired the design of the league, just like every other French-inspired element in the game.

The final battle's stained glass floor can easily be explained as being part of the cathedral-like design. From the interior with it's high vaulted ceilings, to the stained-glass window on the wall casting a shadow on the ground, to the not-Virgin Mary statue on the top right of the central room... Speaking of the final room in particular: the ascension into the light to enter the room itself, the white veils, Diantha in a white angel-like costume:

Even her last Pokemon (Mega Gardevoir) is basically wearing a wedding dress.

Yeah, I can agree with this point and I made it clear that the Euro architecture could just be the cause. But The only thing that made me do a double take was the oddly placed little pond structure, featured in both games, which could still be based on Euro architecture.

3. "Past Pokemon war" - the idea of a war in the past has been done in the games, ever since Lt. Surge. That said, I'm not sure how exactly the Keyblade War relates to the scenario described by AZ in his little backstory, beyond the fact that they were both wars.

4. The idea of research being used by a villain for evil purposes... that sort of plotline is not exclusive to Kingdom Hearts. Take out the old man, and you could have the whole Master Ball incident in G1 for instance.

I see a similarity between DiZ (from Kingdom Hearts) and AZ. They both did research which lead to a machine that caused great destruction. And now a new villain wants to use that for their own plans. I understand that it isn't exclusive to Kingdom Hearts, but it was just a parallel I saw. This is definitely one that could be a reach, so I don't disagree with you.

6. It's a fairy that has a lock and key design. Inspiration could'v come from the idea of fairy-locks. It even has an exclusive move called Fairy Lock.

That link suggests the fairies would be locked into their hair, as in tangled. Which makes sense for the move because of its effect. As for the pokemon itself, I don't see the connection. It just reminds me of a heartless, but I added it mostly because I adore the design.

Yes, I can see this comparison... and would have no trouble accepting it even further had it not taken GameFreak two and a half generations to implement the idea into Pokemon. Prior to Pokemon Amie, GameFreak did have its own version of the features seen in the game: Pokemon Massages, Feeding Pokemon food/puffins, and playing with your Pokemon in various games. We saw this all prior to X/Y, however, it wasn't until after Dream Drop Distance did GameFreak implement it in a way made it seem more Nintendogs-esque. It isn't like GameFreak didn't have the ability to incorporate these features in a game prior to DDD, considering the touch screen and necessity for them was always there.
Reasons that they took so long to implement 3D petting was largely due to the lack of both 3D experience and the lack of 3D models necessary to pull it off. They were just moving off the GBA Pokemon games, and the engine for DP still largely used sprites everywhere. Even the 3D environments were designed like they were still sprites, in terms of complexity/perspective. They were pretty much constantly reusing/redrawing Pokemon sprites up to gen 5. It would have been a bit much to expect them to pull off what they did in XY on the DS (especially with the DS's 3D quality...). Once they did the work, from there it would've been easy for them to come to Nintendo and say "Hey, you did this, how do we implement such and such, since we have the models to do this".
It's not so much that the designs are similar, but rather that the chosen animals/creatures that were used for the few new pokemon just so happened to be prominent new enemies in Kingdom Hearts DDD. What's ironic here is that this gen offered the least amount of New pokemon, yet it's the only generation with that has this many similarly inspired creatures as the Dream Eaters.
I think it's mostly coincidence, especially considering they're drawing form the same inspiration pool (real world flora and fauna).

Like I wouldn't say necessarily that the Kyroo line was inspired by Politoed, Necho Cat was inspired by Glameow, Ursa Circus was inspired by Ursaring, Escarglow was inspired by Magcargo, KO Kabuto was inspired by Heracross, Tatsu Steed was inspired by Seadra, Sudo Neku was inspired by Servine, Tama Sheep was inspired by Mareep or that Thunderaffe was inspired by Girafarig just because they are based on the same animal.

botty

Banned
Reasons that they took so long to implement 3D petting was largely due to the lack of both 3D experience and the lack of 3D models necessary to pull it off. They were just moving off the GBA Pokemon games, and the engine for DP still largely used sprites everywhere. Even the 3D environments were designed like they were still sprites, in terms of complexity/perspective. They were pretty much constantly reusing/redrawing Pokemon sprites up to gen 5. It would have been a bit much to expect them to pull off what they did in XY on the DS (especially with the DS's 3D quality...). Once they did the work, from there it would've been easy for them to come to Nintendo and say "Hey, you did this, how do we implement such and such, since we have the models to do this".

Well, even without all the 3D petting, the ability to combine touch interactivity with building Pokemon stats/friendship seems like something that could have been implemented in even Diamond/Pearl, which, as far as I know, used the touch screen the most out of the DS Pokemon games. Granted, GameFreak had 3DS tech long before SE, and it is possible they could have had this planned before them, but I don't think we should just toss the idea.

I think it's mostly coincidence, especially considering they're drawing form the same inspiration pool (real world flora and fauna).

Like I wouldn't say necessarily that the Kyroo line was inspired by Politoed, Necho Cat was inspired by Glameow, Ursa Circus was inspired by Ursaring, Escarglow was inspired by Magcargo, KO Kabuto was inspired by Heracross, Tatsu Steed was inspired by Seadra, Sudo Neku was inspired by Servine, Tama Sheep was inspired by Mareep or that Thunderaffe was inspired by Girafarig just because they are based on the same animal.

Well, if you noticed I only compared them to Pokemon that were created/shown after DDD released. And it is interest that in generations that introduced 100-151+ new pokemon, the gen that introduced the least amount (69) was the one to have the most similarities.

Why would they copy such a vastly inferior game?

Eh, I am not saying they copy/plagiarized Kingdom Hearts. And calling it an "inferior game" is wrong... as in your opinion is wrong.

Was Slumdog Millionaire influenced by Kingdom Hearts?

Three young children, with no parents around to guide them fend for themselves and look out for each other. They become separated and go on a long journey, only to reunite when they are older, and different.
iFC8BjI.png

When Jamal(Sora) finds Salim (Riku) again, Salim is a rich and powerful gangster. He is powerful because he has given in to darkness.
A48g1jk.png

Salim releases his captive Lakita (Kairi) to go to Jamal, and redeems himself as he renounces his wicked ways.
fj5Pked.png

You know it's true. Just think about it.

cafemomo

Maybe if we take the key into Red/Blue, WE CAN MOVE THE TRUCK

The same truck next to the S.S Anne is the same truck that brought you to Hoenn from Johto. Also note, that Trucks are everywhere in Unova

The trucks in Unova are seen driving on a highway perpendicular to Route 4. The east side obviously leads to Skyarrow Bridge. The west side cannot turn right, as no highway is seen on Route 5; it logically wouldn't turn left, as there would then end in Castelia, and there would be no need to bring it to Route 4; there is no bridge for the trucks to be traveling across the water toward Virbank.

Thus the only logical explanations is that the truck went into a one of them warp holes and ended up in the Kalos region.

During the warp hole process the truck turned into the Taxi that you see in Lumiose City.

This is where that key Pokemon pops in.

You see you can battle the taxi guy if you have no money. Get in the taxi, with a team filled with that key Pokemon (all level 100s btw) and battle him.

You win his taxi. Use that key Pokemon to start up the taxi and now you can warp to any region in PokeJapan.

botty

Banned
Was Slumdog Millionaire influenced by Kingdom Hearts?

Three young children, with no parents around to guide them fend for themselves and look out for each other. They become separated and go on a long journey, only to reunite when they are older, and different.
iFC8BjI.png

When Jamal(Sora) finds Salim (Riku) again, Salim is a rich and powerful gangster. He is powerful because he has given in to darkness.
A48g1jk.png

Salim releases his captive Lakita (Kairi) to go to Jamal, and redeems himself as he renounces his wicked ways.
fj5Pked.png

You know it's true. Just think about it.

Kingdom Hearts did have an oscar worthy story.

Top Bottom