• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

Berordn

Say, can someone quickly sum up Darkrai? He seems like he'd be to my tastes, but I have no idea how he works. Don't have the DX version but did play the U version, so I understand the basic mechanics.

I guess he's kind of like a cross between Gengar and Chandelure, but made of paper and doesn't really have any kill power until you shift into Nightmare mode. Gotta keep your traps up and ready so you can pull off the combo that lets you shift into it and do some real damage.

disclaimer: i am not good at this game and might not know what i'm talking about

I guess he's kind of like a cross between Gengar and Chandelure, but made of paper and doesn't really have any kill power until you shift into Nightmare mode. Gotta keep your traps up and ready so you can pull off the combo that lets you shift into it and do some real damage.

disclaimer: i am not good at this game and might not know what i'm talking about

Ah, I see! As an old Chandy main it sounds like I may have to look into learning Darkrai! Thanks!

LaNaranja

Never played this on Wii U but I am having a ton of fun with it. As much as I love Charizard as a Pokemon after briefly messing with most of the characters I have fallen in love with Machamp in this game. The character customization is also great. I put the little hearts on my character and they make it seem like he is in love with everyone.

DKc9VPqUMAALCP_.jpg:large

Speaking of which, in the first league I fought against a dude who had the tag "my boyfriend is a Pokemon trainer" or something to that effect. Assuming it wasn't something that slipped through the cracks but instead was just Nintendo casually adding an LGBT character, kudos to them.

Say, can someone quickly sum up Darkrai? He seems like he'd be to my tastes, but I have no idea how he works. Don't have the DX version but did play the U version, so I understand the basic mechanics.

for starters he is the hardest of the new 5 characters in this version to play so you left alot

the main thing about him is traps, he is a trap based character and learning how to use said traps is a main point about him

he has two other mechanics about him, one is that he generates counters for every trap he make and you can has them out in order to give meter,health and buffs

the other one is his bad dreams mode, you activate it by hitting with his dark void attack and while it he is just a better character. he gets teleport dashes, he traps set off with needing you to activate them and two new move to work with, nightmare which is a counter that launches the opponent upwards and sets up for air combos and dream eater which is a grab that steals health and meter from the opponent

RomanceDawn

Please please can someone help me understand how to get around a barrage of projectiles.

Also do we have a Neogaf room for ourselves?

Please please can someone help me understand how to get around a barrage of projectiles.
Do you know about canceling counter with R to initiate a dash in the direction you're dpad is facing? This helps as a gap closer, some characters also have moves that help close to gap. Garchomp's dig for example.

RomanceDawn

Do you know about canceling counter with R to initiate a dash in the direction you're dpad is facing? This helps as a gap closer, some characters also have moves that help close to gap. Garchomp's dig for example.

I do know how to cancel countering but I just can't get around Chandelure. I guess I'm not just good at it yet.

I need to watch a video.

Kebiinu

Banned
I do know how to cancel countering but I just can't get around Chandelure. I guess I'm not just good at it yet.

I need to watch a video.

A really handy tip with vs Chandelure, is that you don't suffer any chip damage off his long range attacks. Even his buffed attacks. So just be patient and block as you work through his attacks. Through this, work on figuring out his animations, and what move does what. Some of Chandelure's long range attacks can actually pierce your counter; so I don't recommend counter dash canceling often.

Once you download his moves, you'll know how to react, and you'll force the Chandelure player to try different tactics to eat at your health. Use this opportunity to capitalize on their panic.

Outside of Chandelure, master the counter dash cancel mechanic. Very, very essential to higher level play, and makes most projectiles a joke. Some Pokemon also have stronger projectiles that cancel out others, so you'll have options the more you play.

RomanceDawn

what character are you playing, also don't forget to block

Empoleon is my new main. I used to love me some Machamp and Blaziken but I'm going to go with Empoleon and Garchomp for now.

A really handy tip with vs Chandelure, is that you don't suffer any chip damage off his long range attacks. Even his buffed attacks. So just be patient and block as you work through his attacks. Through this, work on figuring out his animations, and what move does what. Some of Chandelure's long range attacks can actually pierce your counter; so I don't recommend counter dash canceling often.

Once you download his moves, you'll know how to react, and you'll force the Chandelure player to try different tactics to eat at your health. Use this opportunity to capitalize on their panic.

Outside of Chandelure, master the counter dash cancel mechanic. Very, very essential to higher level play, and makes most projectiles a joke. Some Pokemon also have stronger projectiles that cancel out others, so you'll have options the more you play.

Thanks a lot, these tips and specifically the highlighted actually gives me a ton of hope. I don't know if I actually believe it but I will certainly take your word for it.

In every fighting game I ever played it is always the projectiles that just destroy me and I can never get around them.

I adore this game and I don't need to be amazing, I just want to be able to hold my own and enjoy myself with real life pokemon battles.

Edit: Ah yeah I see! For new folks having a hard time with projectile spam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlpq7N0cX5k

So in a command list when it says counter pierce that means the move will break through a counter? If so no wonder I felt like my counter dash thingy was never consistent, because some moves work to defeat that!

I need to watch a video.

Chandy is at her best from mid- to long-range. You need to get in her face and stay there, but beware her Special ranged Grab. One good thing to know is that said grab has a blind spot immediately in front of Chandy. Also, several of her moves can pierce Counters, so watch for that.

When in Field Phase, DO NOT LET HER GET TOO FAR AWAY. If given enough range, nothing's stopping her from simply spamming fully charged beams with impunity. However, don't underestimate her mid-range abilities either. All of her Pokémoves are dangerous, and the aerial only one (Astonish, I believe) can be angled to a surprising distance. If you can help it, DO NOT LET SMOG LAND. Letting her land Smog will usually blast you into Duel Phase with a debuff, ripe for a Hex grab. Also, in Field Phase, stay out from under her, especially if she uses Chandelier Swing; her X move in the air is extremely fast and triggers Duel Phase 90% of the time.

Finally, here's a pretty useful strategy: try and bait out her Overheat in Duel Phase. It has a lot of lag on miss and leaves her with two debuffs. Just... be sure not to get burnt.

Neiteio

Mainly focused on Braixen at the moment. Really fun character. Just completed the Green League. This game looks gorgeous on a TV. Also, customizing your avatar is surprisingly addictive. And I love how many Pokémon make cameos in the arena backgrounds.

Went on ranked with Decideueye went 3-1. Gonna lab some more. Kept thinking I was playing marve vs capcom infinite at times. Will be focusing on Decideueye and my old main blaziken. Will try scizor in the future:

Mainly focused on Braixen at the moment. Really fun character. Just completed the Green League. This game looks gorgeous on a TV. Also, customizing your avatar is surprisingly addictive. And I love how many Pokémon make cameos in the arena backgrounds.

secretly the best part of the game. When we first got the game, my wife and i just went too the training mode together and checked out all the stages just to play wheres waldo with all the pokemon

This is a great game. Surprised at all the Tekken references.

It's a shame that it's gone under the radar again. There's so much potential here if they can expand on the roster and features.

RomanceDawn

Later on I'd love to practice with people. Just shoot constant projectiles at me and I want to see if I can get around them.

Just joined pokegaf as well.

Actually can I make the CPU do that over and over in training?!

Kebiinu

Banned

It's a shame that it's gone under the radar again. There's so much potential here if they can expand on the roster and features.

The Pokemon Company has pledged support for at least another year, via tourneys and the like; meanwhile, the competitive scene is thriving in the subsequent Discords you can find on the Pokken reddit. The original sold over one million late into the Wii U, and the console was already dying. I'm hoping the name alone will help it sell, and the Holidays will brighten its light a lot.

A sequel has such amazing potential, that I'm hoping it becomes a viable franchise. Here's to hoping!

I would love to be able to move the camera around in replay to get cool angles and pictures.

Also, how exactly does the Groups function work? I've joined a few but only fight CPU opponents.....

Getting very good with Garchomp again. How smooth has everyone's online matches been? I've had a few filled with lag but for the most part it's pretty buttery smooth which is a lot different than Wii U.

BiggNife

I was hoping I could practice some new characters in Friendly Match but I'm running into people who are E5 but have 200 matches played so I just get wrecked, which kinda sucks. I've been doing pretty well with Pikachu Libre but it would be nice to branch out a bit.

And for the record I still think the best choice for DLC would be Spinda, you could do some crazy drunken master stuff with him

I'm so bad at this game. I really struggle to make reads, but that comes with practice and game knowledge. Can't really read someone if you don't know how the cast plays. This is what I get for not investing more time in the Wii U version.

I'm having a blast though and sticking with the game, and Empoleon. Really like his playstyle.

T.O.P

Banned
Mewtwo's d X X > j.f dash b Y > Y Y Y Y is so incredibly satisying

Also fuck that fire fox, jesus christ, ruined my 15+ ranked streak :|

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, definitely gonna stick with Decidueye and Scizor as my main two. Both are really fun and seem strong. Just gotta learn better wallstick combo stuff and learn counter dash cancel better to not run into projectiles so often lol.

Sora_N

always keep swords dance active

Yeah I just figured out he had Swords Dance last night.

I also finished the basic tutorials but I'm having the usual FG moment where I feel so overwhelmed with all the different systems within the game and have to think about when to counter, etc or use which attacks / supports.

Does anyone have any tips or even a guide for Croagunk? I've been wanting to main him ever since his trailer launched a while back, but now that I've got my hands on him he just seems incredibly weak and over-reliant on RNG to get results. I figured as a Gengar main I'd feel right at home with his setup/trap-based gameplan, but it feels like an uphill battle every step of the way.

Is he really as weak as he seems or am I just doing something horribly wrong?

What is Scizor using for his grab? He doesn't learn String Shot. The closest I could think of was Silver Wind, which he does learn, but this looks more like String Shot.

trebbble

Liking this game way more than I thought based on the demo, which almost soured me on the game.

As a new player, I appreciate the playable tutorials, move lists, and combo examples. Great practice modes, tons of content, and many ways to learn new characters.

Looking forward to trying online after I decide on a main.

RomanceDawn

I was hoping I could practice some new characters in Friendly Match but I'm running into people who are E5 but have 200 matches played so I just get wrecked, which kinda sucks. I've been doing pretty well with Pikachu Libre but it would be nice to branch out a bit.

And for the record I still think the best choice for DLC would be Spinda, you could do some crazy drunken master stuff with him

For anyone wanting to get good at new characters but you are a total noob with that new character go into RECOMMENDED GROUPS and look for the Official Beginners Group. It won't affect your regular ranking score or your Friendly score. There is a specific score for that particular group but who cares?

There is no stress in trying to keep a high win rate(at least thats how I feel) and for the most part you know most everyone is going in the group relatively fresh.

With Empoleon I almost almost feel like I should not be there because I notice I do run circles around some players but when I pick Garchomp I'm so lost I remember my place.

Top Bottom