• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears are now "getting it on"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nge-grizzlies-and-polar-bears-are-now-mating/

They’re known as pizzlies or grolars, and they’re a fusion of the Arctic white bear and their brown cousins. It’s a blend that’s been turning up more and more in parts of Alaska and Western Canada.

Intraspecies mixing between the two happened thousands of years ago, thanks to the advance and retreat of glaciers, and of late, it has been boosted by climate change. Scientists say it’s also probably been assisted by policies that protect both bears from culling and hunting, affording further opportunities for mingling.

Polar bears are getting the short end of the stick in this relationship, not “gaining any genetic diversity,” said Geoff York, who led research on polar bears at the World Wildlife Fund for almost a decade before joining Amstrup at PBI.

“I hate to say it, but from a genetic perspective, it’s quite likely grizzly bears will eat polar bears up, genetically,” he told me. And he says the changes are already at play.

Right now, polar bears are also threatened by polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, and other toxic pollution — primarily from eating seals and other animals affected by these carcinogens — that has been linked to brain damage, even causing some bears’ baculums, or penis bones, to break off.

More at link.

I, for one, welcome our new mammalian overlords:

imrs.php

EDIT:

Also, we all agree Grolar is way better than Pizzlies, right?

Dennis

Banned
Right now, polar bears are also threatened by polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, and other toxic pollution — primarily from eating seals and other animals affected by these carcinogens — that has been linked to brain damage, even causing some bears’ baculums, or penis bones, to break off.

Pollution sucks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why the erosion of racist norms in bear society is something we should be condemning.

Ironically, the Polar Bears aren't benefiting genetically.

White Supremacist Groups are gonna eat this shit up.

Which will be doubly ironic since Polar Bears actually have black skin.

But will they go "IT HAPPENS IN BEARS" or "SAVE THE MIGHTY POLAR BEAR! KEEP OUR BEARS PURE"?

Oreoleo

Outside of any context, this is pretty neat!

However, I'm troubled that this will probably accelerate polar bear extinction :(

It's nothing compared to the possible American Nile Crocogator living in the everglades now.

Possible? I thought that had been confirmed a few times over and they'd caught and/or killed like 5 specimens by now?

Polar Bears are smart for doing this. With global warming their species would otherwise eventually die out.
I don't believe it's an intelligence thing so much as the number of viable Polar bear partners to breed with are rapidly dropping so the only thing they can find to mate with are grizzly bears.

edit: as stated in the article, polar bears are getting the short end of this stick anyway as Polar bears die out the hybrid bears will just breed with the Grizzlies and within a few generations, any specific polar bear genes will be bred out.

Ordlan

Banned
I don't believe it's an intelligence thing so much as the number of viable Polar bear partners to breed with are rapidly dropping so the only thing they can find to mate with are grizzly bears.
I can understand those polar bears being desperate, but why would grizzly bears be interested in them? Is there some bear fetish I don't know about? I must Google this.

I can understand those polar bears being desperate, but why would grizzly bears be interested in them? Is there some bear fetish I don't know about? I must Google this.
I'm not sure other than Polar bears have been having to travel much further outside their normal hunting and breeding grounds so it's possible that more hybrids are emerging in recent years because Polar bears and grizzly bears now share more of the same space.

Have I been misunderstanding the meaning of hybrid this whole time? I thought a hybrid was, by nature of being classified a hybrid, sterile. Is any cross breed creature properly referred to as a hybrid and sterility only effects some of them? Am I just straight up imagining the sterility component all together?

akira28

i think the sterilization was just a side effect, not a necessary part of the classification. There are viable hybrids, just I think most have that chromosomal mismatch thing going for them so they can't breed.

Mike M

Nick N
Have I been misunderstanding the meaning of hybrid this whole time? I thought a hybrid was, by nature of being classified a hybrid, sterile. Is any cross breed creature properly referred to as a hybrid and sterility only effects some of them? Am I just straight up imagining the sterility component all together?
Classifications of species isn't always cut and dry. If we define a species as any population of organisms that can interbreed without reproductive handicap, then you get stuff like wolves, dogs, and coyotes being variants of the same species since they can interbreed without issue.

Hybrids like ligers and tigons can't interbreed, but can back breed with their parent species, which gives us liligers, litigons, tiligers, and titigons.

Biology is a mess.

Wensih

Possible? I thought that had been confirmed a few times over and they'd caught and/or killed like 5 specimens by now?

Oh I know wild nile crocodiles have been found in Florida, but someone told me of the possibility of them interbreeding and hybridizing with american crocodiles, not sure if hybridization is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom