• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Advisor on climate: "Science has gotten a lot wrong in our 5,500 year history"

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

Had to paraphrase to fit it in the title, but another shockingly dumb and/or dishonest fox news host / financier / Trump adviser (the new triple threat) proudly displaying his stupidity on national news.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/12/trump-adviser-says-science-gets-a-lot-of-things-wrong/

When asked about accepting the reality of human-caused climate change, Scaramucci gave a mix of bewildering answers. “I know that the current president thinks that human beings are affecting the climate—there are scientists who think that’s not happening,” he said. While it’s true that there is a small handful of contrarian climate scientists, the evidence does not go away in any field of science just because a few people don’t accept it.
Pressed on the scientific consensus, Scaramucci challenged whether anything in science can be known. “There was an overwhelming science that the Earth was flat, and there was an overwhelming science that we were the center of the world, 100%, you know, we get a lot of things wrong in the scientific community—you and I both know that,” he said.
Later, Scaramucci added, “You’re saying that you do, and you’re saying the scientific community knows, and I’m saying people have gotten things wrong throughout the 5,500-year history of our planet—human history, I should say.”

De-politicize my science if old.

I love how he thinks he fixes himself when he corrects it from planet history to human history. Nah, you're still wrong.

Kinyou

Picture of the advisor

vSd7Sjs.jpg

It's just amazing how he uses the knowledge we gained from science to tell us how science got things wrong, so that's why we shouldn't trust science.

ChouGoku

I hate how people use the word science, science did not believe the world was flat, there is no science in believing that

Two Words

It's like these people don't understand all of the technology they use on a daily basis is rooted in scientific research and discoveries.

There was an "overwhelming" agreement that the earth was flat because you were ostracised by the church and state if you said otherwise. Fucking idiots.

120v

. “There was an overwhelming science that the Earth was flat, and there was an overwhelming science that we were the center of the world, 100%, you know, we get a lot of things wrong in the scientific community—you and I both know that”

this is like arguing electricity is a fad in 2016 because people in the 1800s didn't think it'd catch on

kswiston

Sorry Uruk. American politicians have revealed that the first 1500 years of your history didn't actually exist.

Also, a lot of the things being listed as "overwhelming scientific consensus" were from religions texts, and pre-scientific revolution.

adj_noun

Pressed on the scientific consensus, Scaramucci challenged whether anything in science can be known. “There was an overwhelming science that the Earth was flat, and there was an overwhelming science that we were the center of the world, 100%, you know, we get a lot of things wrong in the scientific community—you and I both know that,” he said.

He thinks science is general consensus.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Picture of the advisor

vSd7Sjs.jpg

It's just amazing how he uses the knowledge we gained from science to tell us how science got things wrong, so that's why we shouldn't trust science.
That's exactly what I was thinking oh lord lol

RibMan

My hope was that Trump would surround himself with people who aren't delusional. I still hope, but the early indications are that his circle consists and will consist of factually challenged individuals.

Jarate

Banned
flat earth was basically never a scientific conensus.

and yes, science has been wrong, but it needs to be disproven by better science. Nothing climate change deniers have is better scoence

Ogodei

There was an "overwhelming" agreement that the earth was flat because you were ostracised by the church and state if you said otherwise. Fucking idiots.

And it wasn't as much of a revelation as elementary school made you think, since the ancient greeks, among other societies, figured out that the world was round through scientific observations without having to prove it by circumnavigating.

Saganator

My brain is melting. The oversimplification of facts and history is going to be our downfall. People will killed for thinking the earth was not the center of the universe.

tuxfool

Banned
flat earth was basically never a scientific conensus.

and yes, science has been wrong, but it needs to be disproven by better science. Nothing climate change deniers have is better scoence

I'd definitely say what they do is scoence, but certainly not science.

UFO

Banned
Of all the bad advisors Trump has picked this guy's gotta be the worst.

Edit: looking at his wiki page it seems he's more of an economic guy, not a science advisor, so hopefully he's views will stay ignored.

It also, uh, gets a lot right...?

What's his point?
He has no point. He's conflating science with dogma and using it as a cudgel to advance the cause of blind ignorance.

These days ignorance is couched as skepticism, and the terminology of science is used absent any rigor to make the blind feel smart, and smugly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom