• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like we're being trolled.

I think Bernie's candidacy has gone from being a constructive contributor to liberal policy debate, to being a weird cult of personality that seems to be legitimizing Donald Trump for a disturbingly large number of alleged progressives.

Can't be over soon enough.

It seems like, at least online, it's turning into Ron Paul 2.0

danm999

Hey, Muslim people will feel far less welcome in this country, but Trump lies and says he's kind of close to Bernie on some issues (BTW, Trump actually released a tax plan - guess who got tax cuts - spoiler alert - hedge fund managers did), so that's worth it!

As far as foreign policy, right, Trump just wants to invade Syria, destroy ISIS, and take their oil. Total peacenik!

He's also said Clarence Thomas is his ideal for a Supreme Court nominee so I'm sure that campaign finance reform is right around the corner.

Also the idea that there's an equivalency between Bernie Sanders decades long support for LGBT rights and Trump basically saying there's nothing that can be done about marriage equality under the current Supreme Court is laughable. He's still against same sex marriage and if given the opportunity to nominate Supreme Court justices he will absolutely nominate those who think the same.

East Lake

Some of you guys are bending over backwards to make it seems there's no common ground between Bernie and Trump while at the same time lamenting that Bernie has allegedly enabled the Trump campaign because reasons. Doesn't seem logically consistent!

danm999

Some of you guys are bending over backwards to make it seems there's no common ground between Bernie and Trump while at the same time lamenting that Bernie has allegedly enabled the Trump campaign because reasons. Doesn't seem logically consistent!

I don't think anyone is blaming Bernie himself.

pigeon

Banned
Policy doesn't matter as much, honestly, because that's mostly up to Congress. You think that Bernie will get half the things he wants to get done? Probably not, even if he gets elected. Same with Trump. No way his Muslim ban will actually get through, not to mention there's no way to even realistically implement it.

What's more important is energizing the voting public, and getting more people involved in the political process, so real change can be made. Once voter turnout increases, then depending on how the general public votes in the Congressional races, that will then shape policy. Hillary simply guarantees the same gridlock that we've seen for the past eight years; business as usual.

Fundamentally this really exemplifies the problem with the Trump/Bernie supporter -- they are totally agnostic to the type of change that happens as long as there's change. It's important to energize the voting public! Whether we do so by energizing youth and liberals or by energizing virulent racism and white supremacy doesn't really matter, as long as it gets ENERGIZED! The reason they don't care about the monumental policy differences between Bernie and Trump is that they don't really believe in policy. Their approach to government is nihilistic. All they want is an end to the status quo.

ivysaur12

Banned
Exactly. It's so ridiculous when Bernie supporters are mocked for defending Trump, when Trump is a lot more similar to Bernie than Hillary is in many ways.

Honesty:
- Bernie is honest and believes in his convictions, even if politically unpopular
- Trump is honest and believes in his convictions, even if politically unpopular
- Hillary is dishonest and take positions when politically expedient

Outsider:
- Bernie has not been part of either establishment party for the past ~30 years and only recently started to caucus with Democrats
- Trump has not been part of either establishment party for the past ~30 years and only recently joined the Republican party
- Hillary has been a Democrat since her college days and is seen as a lifelong establishment Democrat

Funding:
- Bernie is not taking any PAC money and relies on small donations, does not cater to lobbyists
- Trump is not taking any PAC money and is self-funding, does not cater to lobbyists
- Hillary has been taking huge sums of PAC money, is friendly with Wall Street and big banks

Endorsements:
- Bernie has almost no endorsements, relying on strong polling in early states and caters to the people
- Trump has almost no endorsements, relying on strong polling in early states and caters to the people
- Hillary has an overwhelming number of endorsements, giving the appearance of a "coronation" which is off-putting to most

Ideology:
- Bernie proposes more extreme, radical ideas which represent real change and energizes the base, bringing out huge numbers and rallies
- Trump proposes more extreme, radical ideas which represent real change and energizes the base, bringing out huge numbers and rallies
- Hillary proposes middling, "me-too" compromises which excites no one

If you are a Bernie supporter, purely logically speaking, Trump is clearly the #2 choice if Bernie does not get win the primaries, with Hillary a distance 3rd.

Policy doesn't matter as much, honestly, because that's mostly up to Congress. You think that Bernie will get half the things he wants to get done? Probably not, even if he gets elected. Same with Trump. No way his Muslim ban will actually get through, not to mention there's no way to even realistically implement it.

What's more important is energizing the voting public, and getting more people involved in the political process, so real change can be made. Once voter turnout increases, then depending on how the general public votes in the Congressional races, that will then shape policy. Hillary simply guarantees the same gridlock that we've seen for the past eight years; business as usual.

Besides, Trump and Sanders actually share similar positions on many issues that are simply overlooked:

Marriage equality:
Trump:
Respects the court's decision: "Some people have hopes of passing amendments, but it's not going to happen. Congress can't pass simple things, let alone that. So anybody that's making that an issue is doing it for political reasons. The Supreme Court ruled on it."
Donald Trump most LGBT-friendly Republican?
Bernie: Long time supporter of LGBT rights.

Ecnomy:
Trump:
Trump is against Wall Street and wants to tax hedge fund managers more: ""They're paying nothing, and it's ridiculous. I want to save the middle class"
"The hedge fund people make a lot of money and they pay very little tax," Trump said in an interview Wednesday with Bloomberg. "I want to lower taxes for the middle class."
In short, Trump is willing to raise taxes on himself and those like him.

Bernie:
Against wall street and wants to tax corporations more. Wants to transfer more wealth to middle class via tax policies.

Trade:
Trump:
The TPP should not be supported and should not be allowed to happen.
Bernie:
The TPP Must Be Defeated

Drugs:
Trump:
States should be allowed to legalize marijuana
Bernie:
"In my view, states should have the right to regulate marijuana the same way that state and local laws now govern sales of alcohol and tobacco."

Foreign Policy:
Trump:
"I Would Have Never Been In Iraq"
Bernie:
Bernie Sanders opposes Iraq War

Super PACs and Election Funding:
Trump:
"A lot of PACs are crooked business," Trump said.
"I don't want anybody from PACs. I don't want any money."

Bernie:
Bernie Pledges Not To Accept Super PAC Support

Gun Control:
Trump:
Supports 2nd amendment but also supports background checks. Need to fix the mental health system.
Bernie:
Believes in middle-ground legislation. Supports background checks. Wants to keep guns out of mentally ill.

Healthcare:
Trump:
Trump pushes single-payer healthcare, taxes on wealthy
Bernie:
Supports single-payer healthcare

Some of the differences between Trump and Bernie come down to the more radical ideas that will likely never get implemented anyway, like the Muslim ban, building a wall for Trump, or free College for all, and <=90% tax rate for Bernie.

Congratulations! If you're not trolling, you've now posted two of the dumbest posts in the history of Poli-GAF!!

East Lake

@ danm999

Whether it's Bernie or his supporters on reddit isn't really central to my point.

Fundamentally this really exemplifies the problem with the Trump/Bernie supporter -- they are totally agnostic to the type of change that happens as long as there's change. It's important to energize the voting public! Whether we do so by energizing youth and liberals or by energizing virulent racism and white supremacy doesn't really matter, as long as it gets ENERGIZED! The reason they don't care about the monumental policy differences between Bernie and Trump is that they don't really believe in policy. Their approach to government is nihilistic. All they want is an end to the status quo.
I think this is missing the mark. Some people care about specific things. For example if Bernie and Trump are aligned on an issue somebody is seriously invested in more than others, then flipping back and forth between parties makes sense to the extent that the president goes after that narrow policy goal.

So if I care about campaign finance but don't care about gay rights, Trump may have appeal where Hillary doesn't.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh shit. Guys I'm in trouble. The last day to sign up for Obummercare is tomorrow and I need help.

I recently lost my job, and with that, so went away my health insurance. This happened in the beginning of October. Since I'm jobless, and incomeless, can I qualify for medicaid, or is there a period I have to wait after I lost my job?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
vicissitudes, literally none the shit on your list was policy-based except I guess tenuously the notion that "ideologically" they don't have representation in the main parties, and they're only the same on that in the sense that they're completely different. Marriage equality is a non-issue now - you'll get a few who campaign on a constitutional amendment, but it's really a non-starter and even most GOP voters know that. Literally nobody is going to say "they would have been in Iraq" now it's obvious how much of a fuck-up it was, it's a benefit of hindsight thing. Clinton also wants to try and get rid of Citizens United, she just thinks she can't win without PAC money. I think she probably could, but I don't blame her for thinking otherwise, this is an unusual election and typically money has had much more importance. She's also been pushed into an anti-TPP position - thanks to Sanders, but still there now. If you even read the Trump article on healthcare you posted, he's essentially expanding Medicare to the poorest, rather than implementing a comprehensive single-payer scheme. In that respect, Trump's position is closer to Clinton's, not Sanders.

If you're looking for issues where Trump and Sanders have more overlap than Clinton and Sanders, you're looking at just marijuana and maybe depending on how you interpret it taxes on Wall Street, which is a tiny part of the problem with Wall Street anyway, the main part being the horrific regulation in place. Meanwhile, you have to overlook the fact that Trump would essentially persecute Muslim Americans on a scale not seen since the Japanese internment camps, just to name one issue of many. Absolutely smh at the notion a Trump vote is anything like a Sanders vote.

dabig2

Let's also not forget Bernie is firmly for measures against Climate Change, Trump thinks it's a hoax. :D

fucking trump and climate change bullshit.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/donald-trump-on-climate-change.html

"http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/donald-trump-on-climate-change.html"

Like in that link, wtf is he talking about? OOOh, I believe in the climate, but I want all the money cause im a piece of shit and i'll be dead before shit hits the fan and probably my kids too. Fuck off. Never compare shits like da donald and the Koch sociopaths to a progressive like the Bernie Or hell, even progressive neolibs like clintons and obama. Fuck, even lieberman that slimy cunt is better in most areas than Donald. Dont even start me on economics differences. Give me a sober moment, but I know your links visscitudes, and you're still only looking surface level, despite probably dozens of replies rebuke.

We understand populism and what it is and the bern espouses it all like da donald yes. But in ways that are fundamentally so different that they dont even occupy the same map. Like Koch bros trying to make believe that they're rockefeller republicans. No one sane would switch from Bernie to Donald unless they're on some bullshit acceleration path and want to see the world burn.

I'm a Bernie supporter and I think vicissitudes and I are miles apart in terms of what a "Bernie supporter" is. I don't think it's helpful, or even accurate, to paint in such broad strokes. I would be a lot more enthusiastic for Hillary if she were further left, not if she were more "energizing". It's strictly a matter of policy for me, but of course it doesn't hurt that Bernie comes across as sincere in his beliefs in a way that not all politicians do.

User 406

Banned
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-smith-i-may-be-forced-to-run-for-president/

Maybe we can get a Will Smith vs Kanye West debate in 2020.

That would be an ugly campaign. When Kanye accuses Smith of lying about beating Mike Tyson, voting parents just won't understand. Then Smith will fire back on Kanye's history of being a black skinhead, particularly focusing on his racist gaffe about Paris. Might even go to a convention fight and my mom got scared, she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air" I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said Fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo homes, to Bel-Air!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo homes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel-Air.

I think Bernie's candidacy has gone from being a constructive contributor to liberal policy debate, to being a weird cult of personality that seems to be legitimizing Donald Trump for a disturbingly large number of alleged progressives.

Nah, these accelerationist kids are just the usual meniscus of disaffected and disengaged idiots we get every election, most Bernie supporters are solid. If Bernie were to sit down with a "supporter" who listed Trump as his #2, he'd slap his shit into next week. They're no more significant than the PUMAs were. Pay 'em no mind.

HylianTom

Banned
Oh my. 38%? That 41% isn't looking like such an outlier now.

Middle of December, and the man's only getting stronger. Tonight should be fun, especially if desperation is setting-in.

*sips tea*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymGYuMa_k0
#InternationalTeaDay

Nah, these accelerationist kids are just the usual meniscus of disaffected and disengaged idiots we get every election, most Bernie supporters are solid. If Bernie were to sit down with a "supporter" who listed Trump as his #2, he'd slap his shit into next week. They're no more significant than the PUMAs were. Pay 'em no mind.
At this point, I'm getting more comedy out of this (very small, #NotAllBernieFans) crowd than anything else.

"Policy? Oh pish-posh! That's not important!"

Like I said earlier: it must feel reeeally damn nice to feel immune to the consequences of elections, and to not give a damn about anyone else.

In retrospect.. it is another version of the "fuck you, I'll be fine" line of Republican thought.

I think this is it. I think I said some of these Bernie supporters aren't loyal to liberal beliefs. They are just the revolutionary types. Contrarian who support anyone that shack things up.
I think even if a facist-like person like Trump have some "liberal"-like policies some people will vote for him based on that.

Trying to compare Bernie and Trump is stupid and an insult to Bernie and liberals.

I think this is missing the mark. Some people care about specific things. For example if Bernie and Trump are aligned on an issue somebody is seriously invested in more than others, then flipping back and forth between parties makes sense to the extent that the president goes after that narrow policy goal.

So if I care about campaign finance but don't care about gay rights, Trump may have appeal where Hillary doesn't.

If that's the case, I wish these people would just cut out Bernie and start supporting their boy Trump.

If Trump is their second choice, they obviously don't care about anything Sanders is saying besides the very few ideas they share (which aren't even major points of each of their campaigns) and should cut the act of pretending to be progressive.

HylianTom

Banned
One huge question mark in Iowa: Trump's ground game operation.

The Des Moines Register did a piece on this very subject:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rn-out-for-trump-volunteer-training/77278342/

My favorite part:
“If you don't know, I was his Iowa 'Apprentice' girl," Trump state campaign co-chair Tana Goertz said during a training session Saturday, referring to the reality TV show on which she appeared with the New York businessman.

Mr. Trump is into “all the details,” she said, so he'll know which Iowans herd more Trump voters to their neighborhood precinct than volunteers for Ted Cruz, Ben Carson or any other candidate can lure in.

“And I know he does nice things. So I know you will be recognized. And a lot more could happen; we don't know,” Goertz said, tantalizingly.

This tease - it reminds me of Monty Hall on Let's Make A Deal, where the Mystery Box is being dangled in front of the contestant. It could be anything!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit. Guys I'm in trouble. The last day to sign up for Obummercare is tomorrow and I need help.

I recently lost my job, and with that, so went away my health insurance. This happened in the beginning of October. Since I'm jobless, and incomeless, can I qualify for medicaid, or is there a period I have to wait after I lost my job?
even if this is the end of your special enrollment period you still have till the end of open enrollment which is January 31st (don't know how this affects penalties but, self reporting lol) If you qualify you can apply for medicaid at any time.

I suggest you contact your state exchange for info, if one exists. They should be able to tell you if you qualify for Medicaid as well.

Diablos

Trump is a juggernaut. Kind of crazy, really. This entire year has been dominated by Donald Trump when it comes to politics.

If this man becomes President, the US will never be the same.

I really hope Trump doesn't and instead becomes a catalyst for the beginning of the end of the GOP as we know it.

Bowdz

It will be interesting to see if Trump has achieved the critical mass required to defeat right wing talk radio. Hearing Levin and Limbaugh come out in defense of Cruz makes me wonder if this group will be the vanguard of his destruction or if he is truly indestructible and can attack Cruz with impunity.

I don't know why the media makes such a big deal out of it, I mean we've seen people from Jersey cheering for worse organizations than Al Qaeda.

8uo9PFj.gif
Can we make a "white people celebrating gifs" thread? Perfect compliment to the dancing one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like how trump's campaign so far has been just a collection of apprentice retreads. Omarosa? Lol!

pigeon

Banned
Assuming that is true, how large a voting block do you think Sandernistas who would also vote for Trump are, pidg?

Small. To be clear, I'm talking specifically about supporters of both Sanders and Trump. If you support just Sanders, that's potentially reasonable. Supporting just Trump is less so, but at least consistent.

HylianTom

Banned
There were grumblings around the conservative newsosphere yesterday about how Limbaugh was finally turning on Trump.

Limbaugh now appears to be attempting a smooth-over:
"I Didn't Turn on Anybody!"
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3372917/posts

I am dumbfounded that the GOP frontrunner may be getting-away with criticizing Cruz, let alone criticizing Scalia from the left on the issue of race. Remarkable.

Meanwhile, from PPP:

Iowa!
Trump 28
Cruz 25
Rubio 14
Carson 10
Bush 7
No one else over 3%!

Bowdz

There were grumblings around the conservative newsosphere yesterday about how Limbaugh was finally turning on Trump.

I am dumbfounded that the GOP frontrunner may be getting-away with criticizing Cruz, let alone criticizing Scalia from the left on the issue of race. Remarkable.

Meanwhile, from PPP:

Iowa!
Trump 28
Cruz 25
Rubio 14
Carson 10
Bush 7
No one else over 3%!

Excelente.

HylianTom

Banned
I tuned into El Rushbo last week and he's definitely being weirdly cautious when talking about Trump. It was very out-of-character for a bloviating douche like him.
Rush seems smartly aware that there's very little that'll take down Trump (during the primaries, at least) - and that a huge portion of his audience won't take kindly to him becoming another one of the anti-Trump voices in the chorus. It's evidence that he's aware of the dynamics of this, well.. frenzy.

Meanwhile, Fiorina is adding to the funny pile as well:

Fiorina tells dog: 'Obama ate one of your cousins'

Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina plays with puppies in a new video, suggesting that they stand in for her GOP rivals as she prepares for Tuesday night's debate.

"Ya know, President Obama ate one of your cousins," Fiorina tells a dog in the Independent Journal video before turning to the camera and adding, "Vote Republican."

The video shows the former Hewlett-Packard CEO feeding the canines treats and touting the benefits of having dogs instead of cats, saying dogs can be "your own security detail."

In a version of the video posted to Facebook, Fiorina plays with a puppy who is wearing a jacket that has a peace symbol, saying, "I like your little peace sign. It's very cool. Our Republican primary voters might not like them, but ..."

Hexa

Rush seems smartly aware that there's very little that'll take down Trump (during the primaries, at least) - and that a huge portion of his audience won't take kindly to him becoming another one of the anti-Trump voices in the chorus. It's evidence that he's aware of the dynamics of this, well.. frenzy.

Meanwhile, Fiorina is adding to the funny pile as well:

Fiorina tells dog: 'Obama ate one of your cousins'

I can't watch youtube videos right now but based on that description what the hell? That's just... what?

NeoXChaos

Meanwhile, from PPP:

Iowa!
Trump 28
Cruz 25
Rubio 14
Carson 10
Bush 7
No one else over 3%!

People are forgetting about the Democratic Primary.

On the Democratic side Hillary Clinton continues to be the clear favorite in Iowa. She’s at 52% to 34% for Bernie Sanders and 7% for Martin O’Malley. Sanders leads 47/40 with younger voters, but that’s not enough to make up for Clinton holding a 64/20 advantage with seniors. She leads by pretty similar margins of 19 points with liberals at 56/37 and 22 points with moderates at 52/30. And she also has comparable leads with both women (21 points at 55/34) and men (15 points at 49/34). Clinton’s favorability rating is 73/19 while Sanders’ comes in at 65/23.

You guys think its over don't you?

you qualify for ACA all year if you have a hardship exemption (moving, job loss, etc). as for medicaid, as you know it depends on the state you live in. hope it's not a red one!

Holmes

I don't think so. Call your state exchange and you will tell them your projected annual salary for next year, and if you'll be below a certain amount (which is more or less the poverty line), you can qualify for Medicaid or whatever it's called in your state. Also you can get dental now, and the cut-off date for that is January 31st. Also it'll be busy today.

It's annoying to give a projected salary when you don't know what your job will be though, but lowball it. My job is seasonal and ends in May, and I will get another job afterwards, but I don't know what it will be, so I just assumed it'll be minimum wage (god forbid) and made my calculations based off of that.

I still think Cruz wins Iowa but if Trump pulls that off he may really sweep through the primary. Tonight's debate will be fascinating / terrifying.

yep. alternately, it would be fascinating to see how Trump's supporters react if he lost in Iowa. become more entrenched and thus more likely to vote?

yep. alternately, it would be fascinating to see how Trump's supporters react if he lost in Iowa. become more entrenched and thus more likely to vote?

I watched a bit of Fox News yesterday and they kept pushing the idea that "Iowa is Iowa" and doesn't actually matter. The media will continue to point to Santorum and Huckabee wins in Iowa if Cruz wins, Trump supporters will probably do the same.

Holmes

I don't know why it makes me so mad when I look at Carson's face, it looks like it's been stung by a bee. And he talks a little slowly. Argh.

I watched a bit of Fox News yesterday and they kept pushing the idea that "Iowa is Iowa" and doesn't actually matter. The media will continue to point to Santorum and Huckabee wins in Iowa if Cruz wins, Trump supporters will probably do the same.

i agree, but how many of Trump's voters are well versed in this? especially if he's attracting new voters out of the woodwork. i don't necessarily see them watching the tremendous and high energy Donald losing in Iowa and thinking to themselves, "oh, it's just Iowa."

i agree, but how many of Trump's voters are well versed in this? especially if he's attracting new voters out of the woodwork. i don't necessarily see them watching the tremendous and high energy Donald losing in Iowa and thinking to themselves, "oh, it's just Iowa."
From what I read Trump campaign is lot more organized in Iowa, with booklets and pamphlets being distributed on how to caucus. Unlike the establishment losers like jeb and rubio, Trump has not forsaken Iowa. I think Cruz and Trump are gonna butt heads for sure there.

In the end iowa caucus measure the "excitement" factor of voters more than anything else and that will play to Trump's strengths.

The Adder

Banned

Why do I get the feeling we're being given the old bait and switch?

Trump the obvious nomination only for Cruz to come up from behind on actual votes, not through a brokered deal.

Cruz who is just as bad, if not worse, but more subtle.

Right leaning independents who haven't cued into that fact who would hesitate to vote for someone like Trump now can vote Republican without feeling guilty because "see, they didn't go with the bad one".

Republicans still lose the election, but they may keep the Senate and will certainly keep their House seats anf it's business as usual in Washington.

Trump loses Iowa / wins NH: status quo, Trump still in the drivers seat

Trump wins Iowa / loses NH: CHAOS

Trump wins both: it's over

Trump loses both: Trump in deep shit

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

This is what irritates me about you: you take a minority of Bernie supporters who through a strange series of connections think Trump is their second best choice and generalize it as being a large number of alleged progressives legitimizing Trump. Not all Bernie supporters are self identified progressives. Hillary supporters like you are the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom