• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

NFd6yHL.gif

Previous PoliGAF Threads:

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print
PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World/You are already Kay Hagan
PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout
PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1
PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PoliGaf 2012 |OT6| OBAMA
United States Election: Nov 6, 2012 |OT| - Barack Obama Re-elected
PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi
PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.
PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down
PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control
US PoliGAF 2012 | The Romney VeepStakes: Waiting for Chris Christie to Sing…
PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

PoliGAF 2011: Forum member gridlock causes inaction on thread title naming crisis
PoliGAF 2011: The 112th U.S. Congress is now in session: Want some graphs with that?

Poligaf episode 2010: The Empire Strikes Back
PoliGAF 2010: On our way to November 2
PoliGAF 2010: Home Of "By The Time I Get To Arizona"

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA Checkin' Off His List
PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

---

PoliGAF Wall of Shame from the previous thread:

9mm1HOo.png

Diablos

Fucking Christ, who DOESN'T the NRA want armed?
Really stupid. I hope Democrats capitalize on this (they probably won't, at least not in a useful way) because I could not think of a better example to show that the GOP is trying to have it both ways in regards to protecting us against terrorists.

Tarkus

Thread title is a joke on a talking point by a crazed Fox news correspondent. I see no foul. Detractors are doing exactly what ISIS wants.

Mmm, that new OT smell.

But seriously though, if San Bernadino really is the result of religious extremism... god, I feel bad even thinking like this, but if it really was, that's an opportunity. Tying opposition on gun control to weakness on national defense could be the impetus needed to finally get it passed.

Mmm, that new OT smell.

But seriously though, if San Bernadino really is the result of religious extremism... god, I feel bad even thinking like this, but if it really was, that's an opportunity. Tying opposition on gun control to weakness on national defense could be the impetus needed to finally get it passed.

This is thinking like Dick Nixon right here, good work.

Working with 300,000x27 data matrices is a pain in the ass on this shitty laptop...

Why must you wound me so? ;__;

TBF, I think college liberals would be better served thinking more like Dick Nixon. Great energy from young liberals, but no good political strategy whatsoever.

You took the "think like the devil" thing a bit too far tho imo.

Mmm, that new OT smell.

Its not going to happen. A paris, god forbid, wouldn't either.

We've made a choice.

HylianTom

Banned
Niiiice.

I'm sitting in an MRI control booth all day, so I'm able to post while the machine's timer ticks-down on autopilot..

Bowdz

Its not going to happen. A paris, god forbid, wouldn't either.

We've made a choice.

Indeed. I'm of the camp that thinks the failure to pass legislation after Newtown is indicative that gun control won't be passed until Democrats control massive majorities in all branches (i.e. no time soon).

Diablos

Inaction is one thing, but voting to completely defund Planned Parenthood and take away health insurance from millions while voting down bills to help prevent terrorists from getting their hands on weapons is just perverse politics. It's embarrassing and sad that this is what happens in my country.

benjipwns

Banned
Christie can't lose
By A.B. Stoddard - 12/02/15 07:33 PM EST

Nine months ago a savvy political junkie told me Chris Christie would soon announce a presidential campaign, simply because he had to.

Making our way through the nation’s capital, my cab driver made his case: running was the only way for the New Jersey governor to clean up his image and come out ahead. He didn’t have to win, or even come close, he just had to do well.

As the cabbie predicted, Christie joined the crowded field late, when most of the campaign money and talent was already spoken for. The result, two months before voting, is an indisputable improvement in his image.
Despite his baggage with the GOP base for embracing President Obama after Hurricane Sandy, his ethical cloud under Bridgegate and the nine downgrades that ratings agencies have handed down to New Jersey, Christie has grown as a candidate. He’s stood out in debates and come from the back of the pack to become a contender in New Hampshire in a year when that state’s primary is likely to matter more than the Iowa caucuses.

By any standard, Christie is doing well. His actual poll standing in New Hampshire is still quite low, but a surge is anticipated in light of his growing crowds and support from key Republicans in the state, along with the coveted endorsement of the conservative Union Leader newspaper. Christie has saturated the state not only with events — nearly 50 town halls in 50 days — but also with hours spent behind the scenes, which led to endorsements from more than 100 state leaders who say no other candidate has put in even close to as much time wooing key Republicans there as the two-term governor has.

Trump still maintains the lead in New Hampshire and every other state, and Christie has not been shy about criticizing him. While he has toned down his trademark blunt talk, what he still offers up seems far more civil and reasonable next to Trump’s controversial bombast. When asked about Trump’s trumped-up story about “thousands and thousands of Muslims celebrating” in Jersey City after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Christie said point-blank this week that the real estate mogul’s statements are factually wrong: “I know it, and he knows it.”

Trump will surely target Christie soon, likely attacking him on his record. The Union Leader endorsement already prompted complaints that the admiring editors hadn’t bothered to study his record at home, according to an editorial in the Star-Ledger, which stated that lawmakers in New Jersey can no longer get their phone calls returned as Christie focuses on his campaign instead of his job. “This editorial confirms my worse [sic] fears about this presidential race,” wrote Tom Moran. “It’s all about performance, not substance.”

That may or may not be true, yet at this point my cabbie was right: The nomination, a Cabinet position or another great job await Christie if he keeps playing it smart. There doesn’t seem to be any downside.

NH insiders bemoan Rubio's non-existent ground game

LACONIA, N.H. — As Senator Marco Rubio has climbed the polls, the Floridian lacks one element that has proved to be pivotal for previous winners of New Hampshire’s presidential primary: a robust ground game that can generate enthusiasm and support when voters go to the polls.

On Tuesday, Rubio and a super PAC supporting his candidacy started an onslaught of 1,900 television advertisements — approximately $2.8 million worth — on the state’s top station. But underneath the buzz, GOP activists in New Hampshire are grumbling that Rubio has fewer staff members and endorsements than most of his main rivals and has made fewer campaign appearances in the state, where voters are accustomed to face-to-face contact with presidential contenders.

“For much of this year, Rubio just hasn’t been here,” said Belknap County Republican County chairman Alan Glassman, who is not backing a candidate.

Ten GOP candidates have spent more days in New Hampshire this year than Rubio so far, according to a tally from WMUR-TV. Among the top tier of Republican candidates, only retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson has spent less time in the Granite State. In what has become an unusual campaign, Rubio, businessman Donald Trump, and Carson have not invested as much in a ground operation as earlier leading presidential candidates.

Rubio’s campaign insisted it has a significant presence throughout the state and said he will increase his appearances. After two public events on Monday, he returns to New Hampshire Friday and again next week.

On Monday, at a midday town hall meeting in the Lakes Region, Rubio took the stage 65 minutes late. He apologized for his tardiness, blaming “traffic in Miami,” and promised to speak for only a few seconds before taking questions.

James Gaisser, a 55-year-old carpenter from Sandwich who plans to vote in the GOP primary, came to Monday’s event on the way to a doctor’s appointment in Gilford, but he left after waiting an hour for Rubio.

“He is not helping himself with barely showing up and then being late when he does,” Gaisser said. “In New Hampshire, we see this as a unique opportunity for us to see him, but also for him to see us, and introducing himself. He looks good on television, but if he keeps this up he is blowing it.”

A review by the Globe found that Rubio’s staff remains small compared to other top campaigns. He has seven paid aides in New Hampshire — a size more in line with what struggling candidates have.

Other campaigns have double that number: Trump has 15 paid aides in the state, while Carson has 10. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush recently revealed he had increased the state staff to 20 people.

Bush is also opening four offices in the state for a total of five; Rubio has one.

Rubio’s relatively small staff means the campaign relies on other groups to host events and build an audience — another key component in generating excitement for a campaign.
Most of his recent visits include a single town hall meeting and another event, such as a business tour or a speech to the local Chamber of Commerce.

“It is a risky strategy to do what Rubio is doing,” said New Hampshire-based Republican consultant David Carney, who served as the White House political director under President George H.W. Bush. “If something bad happens, then his entire house of cards will crumble. He needs personal relationships here and people willing to fight for you when times get hard. Otherwise the people with him now because he is winning will go to the next person who starts winning.”

20151204030709280.png

NeoXChaos

PoliGAF 2016 Republican Nomination Winner Prediction Sweepstakes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wKbdijaOwa_gPNJYrGktcaa9l2qRmKiUb0OAZ9Qw2J4/edit#gid=0

Trump
Plinko 8/19/15
B-Dubs 8/19/15
Poodlestrike 8/19/15
Jack Remington 8/19/15
Makai 8/19/15
SourShoes 8/19/15
Fenderputty 8/31/15
HylianTom 8/31/15
RastaMentality 9/10/15
brainchild 9/13/15
Melkr_ 9/20/15
RustyNails 9/21/15
Avon Barksdale 9/27/15
tanod 9/28/15
eBay Huckster 9/30/15
Coriolanus 10/2/15
zou 10/2/15
NSQuote 10/2/15
Samarecarm 10/2/15
Ecotic 10/2/15
SL128 10/2/15
Brookshi 10/2/15

Bush
NeoXChaos 8/19/15
kingkitty 8/19/15
ErasureAcer 8/19/15
titiklabingapat 8/19/15
Y2Kev 8/19/15
Trouble 8/19/15
j_k_redtail 9/22/15
SexyFish 10/2/15

Rubio
Frank the Great 8/19/15
Farmboy 8/19/15
ItWasMeantToBe19 8/20/15
KMS 8/20/15
BertramCooper 8/31/15
NYCmetsfan 9/16/15
Black Republican 9/22/15
PantherLotus 9/23/15
Giant Panda 9/23/15
HylianHistorian 9/23/15
Diablos 9/23/15
neurosisxeno 9/24/15
GnawtyDog 9/24/15
*RDreamer 9/27/15
*Cheebo 9/27/15
*Ignatz Mouse 9/27/15
*Ivysaur12 9/27/15
Snake 9/27/15
Bronx-Man 9/27/15
Maledict 9/28/15
Officerrob 10/2/15
*Bowdz 10/2/15
AnotherNilks 10/2/15
Hopfrog 10/2/15
cartoon_soldier 10/2/15
pigeon 10/2/15
Yellowtail 10/2/15

Cruz
JesseEwiak 8/19/15
Manmademan 8/20/15
*PhoenixDark 9/27/15
Roland_Gunner 10/2/15

Kasich
thepotatoman 9/22/15

Carson
Joey Fox 9/27/15
*FiggyCal 10/2/15

Not Chosen
Fiorina
Huckabee
Gilmore
Patacki
Santorum
Graham
Paul
Christie

Dropouts
Walker
Perry
Jindal

Game Over
Retromelon 8/19/15
*Aaron Strife 9/27/15

*If your candidate becomes the nominee you get a shoutout in future PoliGaf OT OP's.

Teggy

Was this posted about the Obamacare/PP bill?

Senators voted 52-47 to pass the bill. Two moderate Republicans — Susan Collins of Maine and Mark Kirk of Illinois — joined Democrats in opposing the bill. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., was absent.

Not very presidential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom