• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: The 112th U.S. Congress is now in session: Want some graphs with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
capitol-building-picture.jpg

101103-reid-boehner-hmed-3a.grid-6x2.jpg

8o6ncl.jpg

Your 112th U.S. Congress (1/3/2011- 1/2/2013)
congress.jpg

congress_2.jpg

What to expect for 2011-2012:
Filibuster Reform
Repeal Health Care Reform
Repealing Financial Regulatory Reform
Hearings on EVERYTHING
Stopping 'wasteful' spending
Tax Reform

How Congress finished 2010:

DADT Repealed
START passed
Food Safety Bill passed
9/11 First Responders Health Care
Tax Cut Extension passed

PoliGAF's Rich Political Conversation and Debate Historical Index
PoliGAF 2010: Whoever wins, we lose
PoliGAF 2010: On our way to November 2
2010 - PoliGAF 2010: HOPE Fades, but CHANGE doesn't happen in a day

President Obama's First Year
2009 - PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA Checkin' Off His List | Posts: 46,835 | Views: 1,390,139
2009 - PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way | Posts: 25,681 | Views: 967,487

The 2008 Election
2008 - PoliGAF After Party Thread of Harsh Realities | Posts: 11,623 | Views: 433,164
2008 - PoliGAF Election Day 2008 Thread of A New Dawn in America | Posts: 16,858 | Views: 623,393
2008 - PoliGAF Interim Thread of 2008 Early Voting | Posts: 22,020 | Views: 925,562
2008 - PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP) | Posts: 20,508 | Views: 574,791

The 2008 Campaign
2008 - PoliGAF Debate #3 Thread of Hey Joe, where you goin' with that plunger in your hand | Posts: 7,013 | Views: 286,013
2008 - PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot) | Posts: 13,895 | Views: 544,879
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of Post #7323 (LAST DAY TO REG. IN CO,FL,IN,MI,OH,PA,TX,VA) | Posts: 8,422 | Views: 341,146
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of VP Debate 2008 Trainwreck-in-slow-motion Popcorn Party Edition | Posts: 5,951 | Views: 224,876
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of First Debate Election 2008 - GAF doesn't know shit | Posts: 9,359 | Views: 334,198
2008 - PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts | Posts: 25,810 | Views: 812,183

2008 Primaries, Conventions, and He Said/She Said
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions
2008 - PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of THE END and FIST POUNDS (NYT: Hillary drop out/endorse Saturday)
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of Obama's Victory Lap and Smoking Hopium in Internet Dens
2008 - PoliGAF Thread of toothless Hill-Billys (75,000 in Portland for OBAMA post #3599)
2008 - PoliGAF Official May 6th Primary Thread (All I need is a Hirracle, all I need is you)
2008 - PoliGAF Official April 22nd Primary Thread (Democrat Apocalypse)
2008 - PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Phenomic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...g/220px-US_House_apportionment_(20090626).png

Why does this look this look wrong to me. I swear if we have more Republicans in the house the red dots should look like they are outnumbering the blue dots. This doesn't seem to be the case. I might have to count them because I swear either it's correct and I'm going insane or the distribution looks off. Or maybe the colors are just backwards which would probably make the most sense.

eznark

Banned
Huh, can't believe I posted that often.

If Obama is to be believed you can probably add tax code reform to agenda items.

first page!

I kinda think Boehner could be interested in getting things done, dunno about his caucus though. McConnell is a complete pos though, I don't see him being a faithful partner in bipartisan shit

Here's to the new year. That House pic is funny. The Republicans turned Blue?

We'll see what happens this year. I expect a fair bit of bipartisan proposals getting passed. Obama wants to show he's doing things to prepare for reelection, and Republicans want to also show they can get things done. We shall see.

SlipperySlope said:
Here's to the new year. That House pic is funny. The Republicans turned Blue?

We'll see what happens this year. I expect a fair bit of bipartisan proposals getting passed. Obama wants to show he's doing things to prepare for reelection, and Republicans want to also show they can get things done. We shall see.
Yea. Missed that obvious error.

Ravidrath

I'm pretty curious and apprehensive about how this year will go, politically.

Part of me thinks that having congress divided will be a good thing, but Issa and some of the Republican blowhards make me think it will be a dark, if potentially productive, time.

Issa's already saying shit like the Obama administration is "on of the most corrupt administrations," which I find... difficult to believe. And after they kept chiding Democrats for trying to "litigate the past," no less - if they're not careful, they might bring about Bush administration investigations.

I think the Tea Party will likely turn out to be all bile and no bite, because they have no ideas, just raw emotion.

SlipperySlope said:
Republicans want to also show they can get things done.

Given how upset they are that there was a productive bipartisan lame duck session, I'm not so sure about this.

A number of Republicans are now talking about abolishing the lame duck period all together, as if less time to legislate will help anything, or this is the first time anyone passed anything in it.

I don't think this has any chance of getting anywhere, of course, but it's indicative of their general mindset.

eznark

Banned
The lame duck session is pretty damn antiquated. What sense does it make to let people legislate who have just been voted out of office by their constituents? Also, I fail to see how it would result in "less time to legislate." Sure the existing Congress would leave earlier, but presumable they'd start earlier as well.

It's pretty clearly going to be on the same path as the filibuster though. One party will push it, the other party will abuse it, then both parties will start to think about changing it.

GhaleonEB

I think that as hard as the tax compromise was last month, that's likely to be better than any "compromise" in the next two years. GOP is going to be on full mode to sabotage any recovery efforts ahead of the election.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They obviously need to either change when the general election happens (talk about the reason to vote on the first Tuesday in November being antiquated) or change when congress gets seated.

ToxicAdam

I see 4 righties in the top 20. Our plans to take over poligaf are slowly coming to fruition. muhaahaha

Free SiameseDreamer!

Chichikov

reilo said:
They obviously need to either change when the general election happens (talk about the reason to vote on the first Tuesday in November being antiquated) or change when congress gets seated.
I think giving new congresspeople time to get their shit together is not a bad thing.
I really don't think that having a couple of month every 2 years when congress is lame is such a terrible thing.
It's not like they work 356 days a year anyway.

And yes, I agree that it should only be called into session when there's an emergency.
That being said, when you consider the levels of partisan procedural crap that going on in Washington, I think you can't really fault the dems for doing what they did.

ToxicAdam said:
I see 4 righties in the top 20. Our plans to take over poligaf are slowly coming to fruition. muhaahaha

Free SiameseDreamer!
Not if you guys keep falling like flies in the gaming side.
Speaking of which, what do you think about Move vs. Kinect?
Any controversial thoughts about that?
;)

As expected, it looks as though the GOP will use the raising of the debt-ceiling as a tool to extract 'reforms' on Social Security and entitlements.

The Hill
Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday that he "will not vote for the debt ceiling increase" unless it's accompanied by spending and entitlement reform.

On NBC's "Meet the Press," Graham said he wants to see spending back at 2008 levels with cuts in discretionary spending.

"Let's see if we can find bipartisan reform on Social Security before we raise the debt ceiling," Graham said.

Calling the debate a "good opportunity to find common ground," the senator said it was necessary to begin enacting the debt commission's recommendations on entitlement reform "before it's too late."

Noting that President Obama initially came into the tax deal with Republicans "whining," Graham said, "I hope he will continue to embrace the middle when it comes to spending and entitlement reform."

And I hope the rumors aren't true about Obama trying to out-austerity the GOP at the SOTU.

eznark said:
The lame duck session is pretty damn antiquated. What sense does it make to let people legislate who have just been voted out of office by their constituents? Also, I fail to see how it would result in "less time to legislate." Sure the existing Congress would leave earlier, but presumable they'd start earlier as well.

the length of the session is antiquated, sure, but it is a necessary function even today. there needs to be SOME gap between elections and seating the new legislature. it takes time to move out of offices, the freshman representatives must go through orientation, they must prepare to move to DC, etc.

it certainly doesn't need to be two months long, but there will always be a lame duck session.

eznark

Banned
Chichikov said:
And yes, I agree that it should only be called into session when there's an emergency.
That being said, when you consider the levels of partisan procedural crap that going on in Washington, I think you can't really fault the dems for doing what they did.

I agree 100%. As with the filibuster, representatives should do everything in their power to advance the ideas and principles they campaigned upon. If the people don't like it they'll decide. If legislators don't like it, change the rules...and bring on the hilarious unintended consequences.

What is this talk about the lame-duck session being antiquated? Representatives are elected to a two-year term, usually starting around the first of the year. Should legislators stop legislating after an election even though they still have two months left on their term?

eznark

Banned
Incognito said:
What is this talk about the lame-duck session being antiquated? Representatives are elected to a two-year term, usually starting around the first of the year. Should legislators stop legislating after an election even though they still have two months left on their term?
uh, they are talking about changing the start date, your comment is nonsensical

eznark said:
uh, they are talking about changing the start date, your comment is nonsensical

uh, who is?

shit, :lol @ my phrasing. yes, it is indeed nonsensical. replace 'term' with 'session'.

Honestly, that GOProud guy has at least somewhat of a point, ideologically speaking. The GOP may not have been welcoming in the past, but there are probably a LOT of gay folks out there who honestly believe that conservative economic policies are better for the country and that that is more important to the day-to-day lives of the gay community than the civil rights issue, which is all but won in the long-term at this point. It's unfortunate for them that the GOP is the only viable conservative economic party in the country, but should they be forced to vote against those principles (i.e. economic ones) that they consider important simply because the old fogies of their party haven't accepted them yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom