• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of VP Debate 2008 Trainwreck-in-slow-motion Popcorn Party Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
JoeBiden.jpg
vs.
SarahPalin.jpg

JoeBidenYoung.jpg
vs.
SarahPalinYoung.jpg

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

Be there for the smash-up of the century!

In the red corner, Sarah "Moosehunter" Palin, the shoot-from-the-gut hometown girl who can see Russia from her home and lists the following as inspiration for her political careers: Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost. Her long list of accomplishments including asking a librarian about banning books, incurring a $20,000,000 dollar debt on the people of Wasilla and saying "thanks, but no thanks" to the Bridge to No---hahaha.

In the blue corner, Joe "Clean and Articulate" Biden, the never-shut-up gaffe warrior, touting his vast array of foreign policy experience and his love of white teeth. Now the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, he told Bush "sure we'll go to war in Iraq", but then scolded him really sternly for not having a great strategy! He also called Slobodan Milosevic a war criminal to his face!

DETAILS

Link

Sen. Joe Biden from Delaware and Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, the vice presidential nominees of the Democratic and Republican parties, respectively, will debate each other at 8 p.m. (CDT) Oct. 2 in the Washington University in St. Louis Athletic Complex, according to the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD).

This is the first time the University will host a vice presidential debate. It's the fifth consecutive presidential election that the University has been selected by the CPD, the event's sponsor, to serve as a debate host.

The debate will be moderated by Gwen Ifill, a longtime correspondent and moderator for nationally televised public broadcasting news programs. Ifill, who serves as moderator and managing editor of PBS' "Washington Week" and senior correspondent for "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer," also moderated the CPD's 2004 vice presidential debate between Vice President Dick Cheney and Sen. John Edwards, held Oct. 5 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

This debate will include foreign and domestic policy. Under the format, each candidate will have 90 seconds to respond to a question, followed by a two-minute discussion. That is tighter than Friday's presidential encounter, when the candidates had up to five minutes to mix it up.

ROUND 2

With the first presidential debate behind us, this one should probably be the one where we receive our epic lulz.

FIGHT.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Embarrassment city incoming.

The shark sees blood in the water.

I think if Palin wins, if she lands some YouTube moment zingers, Obama will be in serious trou --

PFFFAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Sorry, I just couldn't finish. What's his lead again?

RubxQub

Hall of Shame from Previous Thread:

1. RubxQub 220
  2. StoOgE 210
  3. Tamanon 204
  4. GhaleonEB 167
  5. AniHawk 141
  6. reilo 135
  7. Zeliard 127
  8. gkrykewy 127
  9. Ether_Snake 125
  10. speculawyer 118
  11. CharlieDigital 112
  12. Chiggs 108
  13. Dax01 105
  14. artredis1980 102
  15. SpeedingUptoStop 102
  16. Cloudy 96
  17. BenjaminBirdie 94
  18. Gary Whitta 91
  19. Tobor 90
  20. Trakdown 88
  21. Hitokage 84
  22. kkaabboomm 74
  23. Fragamemnon 72
  24. pxleyes 70
  25. grandjedi6 69

I imagine this thread's PPP is going to be off the charts and could break GAF with the amount of stupid that is going to be coming out of a certain someone's mouth at the debates on Thursday.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Of course, I'm on a plane that night. Maybe they'll stream it in-flight instead of some awful film. Then again, the incredulous head shaking after Palin's responses could throw off the plane's balance and doom us all.

1 - i made the list!

2 -
If it is bolded that means Tina Fey ADDED this to Palin's original answer
If it is struck through this means Tina Fey didn't say this part of Palin's original answer
Other than that, here is Tina Fey basically saying the exact same thing Palin did, which makes me sad

That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, we're ill about this we're saying hey why bail out fannie and freddie and not me? position that we have been put in where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those that who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, to help um helping the it's got to be all about job creation, too, also to shoring up our economy and putting fannie and freddie it back on the right track. and So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending cause barack obama, you know has you know we've got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans also having a dollar value meal at restaurants, thats gonna help. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. that, you know, also This bailout is a part of that.

remember, she did this wednesday. she has to go from THAT, which even tina fey didnt have to change much, to ready to debate the chairman of the foreign relations committee in 8 days.

right.

RubxQub said:

1. RubxQub 220
  2. StoOgE 210
  3. Tamanon 204
  4. GhaleonEB 167
  5. AniHawk 141
  6. reilo 135
  7. Zeliard 127
  8. gkrykewy 127
  9. Ether_Snake 125
  10. speculawyer 118
  11. CharlieDigital 112
  12. Chiggs 108
  13. Dax01 105
  14. artredis1980 102
  15. SpeedingUptoStop 102
  16. Cloudy 96
  17. BenjaminBirdie 94
  18. Gary Whitta 91
  19. Tobor 90
  20. Trakdown 88
  21. Hitokage 84
  22. kkaabboomm 74
  23. Fragamemnon 72
  24. pxleyes 70
  25. grandjedi6 69

I imagine this thread's PPP is going to be off the charts and could break GAF with the amount of stupid that is going to be coming out of a certain someone's mouth at the debates on Thursday.
I'll see if I can get past 105 this time. With Palin, anything's possible!:lol

AniHawk

z5c1ptpffu-rsv6zdulnew.gif

...Essentially, suspending the campaign didn't work.

Also, in 2000, Al Gore and George Bush were tied at this point in the election. In 2004, Kerry and Bush were tied at this point in the election (both Gallup).

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I'm not American, so feel slightly outta place in these threads, but this is going to be fucking classic.

AniHawk said:
z5c1ptpffu-rsv6zdulnew.gif

...Essentially, suspending the campaign didn't work.

Also, in 2000, Al Gore and George Bush were tied at this point in the election. In 2004, Kerry and Bush were tied at this point in the election (both Gallup).
And Biden is going to embarrass Palin come Thursday.
What a week it will be.

Nabs

Bush to speak in about 3 minutes.

This Biden / Palin debate will be monumental. I can't wait to see the spin FN puts on it.

devilhawk

What that poll shows is that no one really has an idea of what the bailout plan is and what each politician (or group) thinks about the specifics.

AniHawk

devilhawk said:
What that poll shows is that no one really has an idea of what the bailout plan is and what each politician (or group) thinks about the specifics.

It does show that most people seem to rest the blame with the Republicans though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AniHawk said:
It does show that most people seem to rest the blame with the Republicans though.
Only marginally. The only real message there is that people are going NOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO PAY TO KEEP FINANCIAL MARKETS AFLOAT.

devilhawk

AniHawk said:
Well that may be true. What I noted is that Obama is higher than the Dem congress members despite having little differences in views. The Republicans in congress had totally different reactions than Bush yet have a similar polling number. Just thought that was interesting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
syllogism said:
Research 2000/kos tracking 51-42. Sunday's sample was +11
Mixed feelings about this, actually. While a well padded lead is great, you'll have lazy asses who will look at it and say "eh, no need to vote after all", affecting turnout sensitive states like NC.

syllogism

Hitokage said:
Mixed feelings about this, actually. While a well padded lead is great, you'll have lazy asses who will look at it and say "eh, no need to vote after all", affecting turnout sensitive states like NC.
If he has a lead like that on nov 4, that hardly matters unless you really really really want to win NC

AniHawk

Hitokage said:

Agreed there. Though could the opposite hold true too? Where it stunts Republican turnout? Either way, this is where I expect Obama's ground game to really be in full swing. And Gore actually rallied against Bush every time Bush got an 8-10 point lead in October in 2000. Not that McCain is similar to Gore.

RubxQub

Hitokage said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzuIHjQYW2c

Inject this into their system.

One thing Palin will have going for her, something in front of her to snarl at. I predict she'll have a few good one liners, and everything else will bumble around.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'll be watching this for sure :D
As a Brit I hadn't really bothered to get too caught up in the whole American Presidential thing but I decided to watch the first McCain/Obama debate and thoroughly enjoyed it.
This should be 20 times better though because from what I've seen of Palin she's a religious nutjob (at least in my book she is) and I love watching psychos in action.

Downside is the country will implode be if he loses while being +10 in some polls.

No gas lines at least. A lot of cars will be upside down, and on fire.

RubxQub said:

1. RubxQub 220
  2. StoOgE 210
  3. Tamanon 204
  4. GhaleonEB 167
  5. AniHawk 141
  6. reilo 135
  7. Zeliard 127
  8. gkrykewy 127
  9. Ether_Snake 125
  10. speculawyer 118
  11. CharlieDigital 112
  12. Chiggs 108
  13. Dax01 105
  14. artredis1980 102
  15. SpeedingUptoStop 102
  16. Cloudy 96
  17. BenjaminBirdie 94
  18. Gary Whitta 91
  19. Tobor 90
  20. Trakdown 88
  21. Hitokage 84
  22. kkaabboomm 74
  23. Fragamemnon 72
  24. pxleyes 70
  25. grandjedi6 69

Yeash, and I thought I posted here a lot.....

RubxQub

ViperVisor said:
Downside is the country will implode be if he loses while being +10 in some polls.

No gas lines at least. A lot of cars will be upside down, and on fire.
Absolutely. It would be a clear case of closet racsim.

"I would vote for Obama!"

*goes behind curtain and yanks lever for McCain with fervor*

This type of shit is very possible, which is why a lot of supporters say that Obama needs to be considerably ahead in the polls in order to avoid this.

That being said, I don't necessarily think the polling data has been dramatically different than how Obama performed in the primaries. There were a few surprises, but nothing crazy (like NH). I'd say a couple points of padding should erase the racist polling fibbers.

Prediction time:

Palin will do better than expected. But will still be considered ignorant of national and foreign policy issues.

mclem

GhaleonEB said:
SpeedingUptoStop said:
The Palin couric interview critical analysis made my local news tonight, god damn.
For some reason, hearing this makes me very happy. Palin ridicule is reaching critical mass.
I've been thinking of this a while, and I'm wondering: Just how big a part is Tina Fey playing in this election? Thinking back to the first SNL sketch, Palin was faltering at the time but if I remember rightly she was still pretty favourably viewed. That first SNL sketch was significant in that it was a major name - a major *female* name, crucially - showing that it was Okay To Mock her. And when people saw that it was Okay To Mock her, they started seeing the flaws.

Tina Fey may have had a significant role in changing the direction of this election.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Yeah, she is being painted as an idiot everywhere. The thing about throwing a woman or a black man up to this task is that since you are chartering new ground, you can't just put anyone up there, because if they are a fuck up, its going to be a long time before another like them comes and takes their place as a viable candidate.
For a black guy, possibly, but I don't think that's true for a woman. The country has *seen* a more-than-viable, extremely competent woman already come quite close to this role, it's become very clear that there are much better options out there.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
FF_VIII said:
BUH GAWD IT'S GONNA BE A BLOODBATH!

STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD!

HE'S BROKEN IN HALF!
lawblob said:
Prediction: The Alaska Disasta' goes down in the first round!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I got off work Thursday, so this will be absolutely glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom