• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of VP Debate 2008 Trainwreck-in-slow-motion Popcorn Party Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Random anecdote:

I've mentioned a couple times in these PoliGAF threads that my father, who has been a lifelong republican voter, is planning to vote for Obama this fall. I went over to his house for dinner last night and found out that he's actually been out canvassing for Obama in the past couple weeks. He lives in a somewhat rural area and was telling me about a house he visited over the weekend where the guy he was talking to was planning to vote for McCain because, "they don't call it the White House because of the paint job." =\ Given the area, something like that doesn't really surprise me, but it still makes me angry.

Shiggie said:
I was about to post this but It took me a while to realize there was a new thread. I think it was an honest slip up.

I'm sure it was.
Honest or not though, slips like that during the wrong telecast could really hurt Obama amongst the retard vote.

Bill Maher's cavalcade of awkwardness promo-ing Religulous starts tonight.

MON. Conan
TUES. The View & The Daily Show
THUR. Jimmy Kimmel

He will be sure to slam Palin to the max and jokes about how old McCain is.

Good times all around. TIVO THE VIEW SPECIFICALLY.

Shiggie said:
I was about to post this but It took me a while to realize there was a new thread. I think it was an honest slip up.

I thought it was a clear admission of his deep seated prejudices against the democratic candidate and not at all related to the fact that the next word in that sentence after "Obama" started with an "S".

so_awes

Banned
SarahPalin.jpg

what's up with her right (or left, depends on your perspective) side of the face? it's all puffed way up compared to the other side....

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
so_awes said:
SarahPalin.jpg

what's up with her right (or left, depends on your perspective) side of the face? it's all puffed way up compared to the other side....
It's the devil trying to get out.

Max Payne, we need your help.

Snaku

Banned
Man I hope I'm home in time for the debate. Going to the Rays first playoff game on Thursday, and it's a 2:30 game.

Hitokage said:
Only marginally. The only real message there is that people are going NOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO PAY TO KEEP FINANCIAL MARKETS AFLOAT.

I think that a BIG part of the public's hand-wringing and reluctance on this issue is because no one has really A) explained why this is necessary RIGHT NOW in simple terms and B) framed the debate properly, mainly because no one wants to really own this issue in any regard. The burden of leadership on this should have been borne by the Bush administration, who was both at the same time unpopular and not running for re-election, but oh god how did I get here I am not good with securities and no one trusts him anyway. Thanks Iraq!

syllogism said:
If he has a lead like that on nov 4, that hardly matters unless you really really really want to win NC

The fate of the NC governor's house, along with several other very key races in the Senate (MN-Senate, MS-Senate, OR-Senate) in other states, is very dependent on Obama not just winning, but winning convincingly, even in blue states.

Coattails are powerful and I'd like to be riding them for a change in a presidential election.

Barrett2

Fragamemnon said:
I think that a BIG part of the public's hand-wringing and reluctance on this issue is because no one has really A) explained why this is necessary RIGHT NOW in simple terms and B) framed the debate properly, mainly because no one wants to really own this issue in any regard. The burden of leadership on this should have been borne by the Bush administration, who was both at the same time unpopular and not running for re-election, but oh god how did I get here I am not good with securities and no one trusts him anyway. Thanks Iraq!

Yeah, I think you make a good point. Bush's lack of leadership on this has been insane. Casually strolling out to the White House lawn for a handful of 4 minute speeches where he casually tells Americans we need to nationalize 15% of the economy within the next week.... that kind of thing is so massive, I think Americans are justified in being angry that the politicians have not done more to explain this.

And once again, let us reflect on how the situation would be different if Clinton were still President with this happening. Republicans would be trying to have him arrested & impeached within days of this all happening.

pxleyes

Banned
RubxQub said:
Hall of Shame from Previous Thread:

1. RubxQub 220
  2. StoOgE 210
  3. Tamanon 204
  4. GhaleonEB 167
  5. AniHawk 141
  6. reilo 135
  7. Zeliard 127
  8. gkrykewy 127
  9. Ether_Snake 125
  10. speculawyer 118
  11. CharlieDigital 112
  12. Chiggs 108
  13. Dax01 105
  14. artredis1980 102
  15. SpeedingUptoStop 102
  16. Cloudy 96
  17. BenjaminBirdie 94
  18. Gary Whitta 91
  19. Tobor 90
  20. Trakdown 88
  21. Hitokage 84
  22. kkaabboomm 74
  23. Fragamemnon 72
  24. pxleyes 70
  25. grandjedi6 69

I imagine this thread's PPP is going to be off the charts and could break GAF with the amount of stupid that is going to be coming out of a certain someone's mouth at the debates on Thursday.

I made the list! Bout freaking time.

KRS7

The Chosen One said:
*was still refreshing old thread*

No Kidding. When a new PoliGaf thread is created it should be mentioned and linked in the last post of the old one. It isn't that hard.

Looks like Citigroup is indeed buying Wachovia's banking operation:

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/citigroup-nears-a-deal-for-wachovia/?ref=business

Updated 8:11 a.m.: Citigroup has agreed to buy Wachovia’s banking operations in a government-brokered deal, a move that that would concentrate power within the nation’s banking industry in the hands of a few giant lenders, The New York Times’s Eric Dash and Andrew Ross Sorkin reported Monday morning.

As part of the deal, Citigroup will absorb up to $42 billion of losses on Wachovia’s $312 billion pool of loans — but the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation will absorb losses beyond that. In return, the banking giant has given the FDIC $12 billion in preferred stock and warrants as compensation.

This is a tragic loss for Charlotte and I hope that Wachovia employees can keep their (good) jobs there. Somoene needs to start talking about how, when this is all sorted out, we could have as much as 40% of the nation's deposits tied up in four or five megabanks. Not only would they be too big to fail, they would almost be too big to audit IMO. :eek:

lawblob said:
And once again, let us reflect on how the situation would be different if Clinton were still President with this happening. Republicans would be trying to have him arrested & impeached within days of this all happening.

They would be calling for his head.

Like I've mentioned before, I know there are a lot of people who say it's not fair to place the blame on the president alone, but at the same time, the guy has the power of line item vetoes, the power to appoint members of the cabinet and staff, and the power to communicate with and influence the citizens.

The president is like an NBA coach; he has the ability to put the right players in the game at the right time to help the team succeed. He has the ability to dictate the pace and style of the game with his play calling. And at the end of the day, he is the only one who's success measured by wins and losses. We measure players by championships, points, rebounds, assists, and steals. We measure coaches by how many games they win; ultimately, when a team loses, the "L" falls squarely on the shoulders of the coach.

Bush deserves an "L" for his performance during this crisis and for his lack of preventative action. I'm more certain than ever that this will go down as one of the worst presidencies in the history of the US. Two unfinished wars, the loss of global influence to countries like China and Russia, the Katrina mismanagement, and one of the worst economic meltdowns in history.

SupahBlah

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
They would be calling for his head.

Like I've mentioned before, I know there are a lot of people who say it's not fair to place the blame on the president alone, but at the same time, the guy has the power of line item vetoes, the power to appoint members of the cabinet and staff, and the power to communicate with and influence the citizens.

Line item vetoes are unconstitutional.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fragamemnon said:
Looks like Citigroup is indeed buying Wachovia's banking operation:

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/citigroup-nears-a-deal-for-wachovia/?ref=business

This is a tragic loss for Charlotte and I hope that Wachovia employees can keep their (good) jobs there. Somoene needs to start talking about how, when this is all sorted out, we could have as much as 40% of the nation's deposits tied up in four or five megabanks. Not only would they be too big to fail, they would almost be too big to audit IMO. :eek:
And is Citigroup really in good enough shape to take this one right now? I thought they were iffy?

Rasmussen: O-50, M-45

Obama steady at 50, McCain up one. Ras showing a five point spread feels about right for the race at this point.

ArtG

RumpledForeskin said:
Hmmm Sunnny in Philadelphia vs last part of debate.

I think I just might get more laughs from the debate this thursday.

I don't know about that one.

Rur0ni

Fragamemnon said:

Obama steady at 50, McCain up one. Ras showing a five point spread feels about right for the race at this point.
I can live with this (day to day MoE). Depends on what the trend is by Thursday.

kaching said:
And is Citigroup really in good enough shape to take this one right now? I thought they were iffy?

Citigroup was smart and started writing down shit heavily last year while there were still investors looking to buy into banks if the price was right and credit hadn't almost completely seized up. So they are in decent shape. Wells Fargo, who had a fraction of the derivative holdings and never did the whole 'crazy mortgage madness' in the first place was also involved in the talks to buy Wachovia's banking arm.

What Joe must do, is what Charlie Gibson did, with the Bush Doctrine. I have a feeling that Sarah likes for the other person to make points and she piggy backs them. So if Joe is smart he should be general with his opening statements and specific after Sarah has had a chance to retort.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, the R2K/Daily Kos looks nice today.

+9 with a +11 for Sunday only polling.

McCain needs a game changer worse than he did before the debate.

RubxQub said:
Hall of Shame from Previous Thread:

1. RubxQub 220
  2. StoOgE 210
  3. Tamanon 204
  4. GhaleonEB 167
  5. AniHawk 141
  6. reilo 135
  7. Zeliard 127
  8. gkrykewy 127
  9. Ether_Snake 125
  10. speculawyer 118
  11. CharlieDigital 112
  12. Chiggs 108
  13. Dax01 105
  14. artredis1980 102
  15. SpeedingUptoStop 102
  16. Cloudy 96
  17. BenjaminBirdie 94
  18. Gary Whitta 91
  19. Tobor 90
  20. Trakdown 88
  21. Hitokage 84
  22. kkaabboomm 74
  23. Fragamemnon 72
  24. pxleyes 70
  25. grandjedi6 69

I imagine this thread's PPP is going to be off the charts and could break GAF with the amount of stupid that is going to be coming out of a certain someone's mouth at the debates on Thursday.

I feel like such a loser ;.;

Man sucks this is thursday. I'm going to completely miss it. :/

StoOgE

Fragamemnon said:

and Ras has a Republican lean of about +2 on their daily tracking poll while Gallup is about neutral and R2K has about a +2-3 Dem lean, so the race is right around 7-8 points most likely.

syllogism

Fragamemnon said:

Obama favorability went up by a point, so he probably had another very good night

Rur0ni

StoOgE said:
and Ras has a Republican lean of about +2 on their daily tracking poll while Gallup is about neutral and R2K has about a +2-3 Dem lean, so the race is right around 7-8 points most likely.
Rasmussen was supposed to be the best pollster of 2004 though. More accurate than Gallup that is at calling the election.

StoOgE said:

Yep, that's how I see it too. I think it would be a seven point Obama win if we had the elections today, which translates into a 350-375 EV landslide.

StoOgE

Rur0ni said:
Rasmussen was supposed to be the best pollster of 2004 though. More accurate than Gallup that is at calling the election.

Not their daily tracker, their actual polls were much better.

Hitokage said:
Only marginally. The only real message there is that people are going NOOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO PAY TO KEEP FINANCIAL MARKETS AFLOAT.

Fragamemnon said:
I think that a BIG part of the public's hand-wringing and reluctance on this issue is because no one has really A) explained why this is necessary RIGHT NOW in simple terms and B) framed the debate properly, mainly because no one wants to really own this issue in any regard.

Some of us are opposed to the bailout because it is not going to work.

Rur0ni

StoOgE said:
Not their daily tracker, their actual polls were much better.
Ah then I stand corrected, but wouldn't they adjust accordingly for 2008? "We failed in daily in 2004, let's make these adjustments to more accurately reflect blah blah"

Edit:

Cheebs said:
Their daily tracker was spot on iirc. I followed it every day.

>:O

Cheebs

Rur0ni said:
Ah then I stand corrected, but wouldn't they adjust accordingly for 2008? "We failed in daily in 2004, let's make these adjustments to more accurately reflect blah blah"

Edit:

>:O
I went and checked, they got the outcome right in 2004 in their tracker.

Cheebs said:
Their daily tracker was spot on iirc. I followed it every day.

It was definitely good in 2004. They key thing this year is that the ground game turned out +2-+2.5 for Bush in 2004, and this year Obama will likely get a similar boost to his side.

Also, some commentary on the race from the "unnamed campaign official" from the Obama camp:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...es-he-can-win-White-House-by-a-landslide.html

But his aides are convinced that he has a strong chance of winning no fewer than nine states won by George W.Bush in the closely contested 2000 election, including former Republican strongholds like North Carolina, Virginia and even Indiana, which have not voted Democrat for a generation.

David Axelrod, Obama's chief strategist, said last week that Obama had "a lot of opportunity" in states which Mr Bush won four years ago.

But in private briefings in Washington, a member of Mr Obama's inner circle of policy advisers went much further in spelling out why the campaign's working assumptions far exceed the expectations of independent observers.

"Public polling companies and the media have underestimated the scale of new Democratic voters registration in these states," the campaign official told a friend. "We're much stronger on the ground in Virginia and North Carolina than people realise. If we get out the vote this may not be close at all."

VA and NC represent an ambush by the Obama team that McCain was ill-prepared for. I think the McCain camp was ready for a hard play at Ohio and Colorado, but Team Obama's stubborness to expand the map has really put the McCain campaign offbalance in VA, NC, IN, and Florida.

StoOgE

Rur0ni said:
Yeah, and it will grow if the race remains stagnant. Though history shows a tightening of the race in the final weeks.

Actually, 529's model takes that tightening into account when he does his calculations.

If the race were tommorow with these numbers it would show Obama even more likely to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom