• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump holds town hall that's totally not debate prep you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

Why is he still picking fights with TV personalities? It seems to be his great passion. Probably the least "presidential" thing he could possibly do is rumor monger about Joe Scarborough, and go after John King for his lack of career mobility, yet he can't help himself. It's hilarious, and so obviously self-destructive.

I can't wait to see him act like a complete and utter fool on Sunday! Without teleprompters, he is just unhinged. Hopefully its worse off for him than the last debate. I really hope Anderson does a good job, but I don't know. The last 2 moderators have been awful.

I agree that I hope Cooper does a better job than Holt ultimately did, but in a lot of ways, just letting Trump go off is probably as good as not honestly. Hillary has already shown that she doesn't really react to even the craziest shit (outside a sprinkling of humor here and there to the really out there stuff, like the temperament shit Trump touted last debate), so he'll look and sound even more unhinged when his opponent is entirely unfazed and continues on in a calm, collected manner.

tuffy

So is this debate going to be the one where Trump cracks and calls her a bitch on national television, or is that getting saved for debate #3 when Trump reaches his frustration apex?
It seems hard to work that into the second debate due to the format. But in the third she can really mop the floor with him one-on-one so that's when he'd finally crack.

Sean C

So is this debate going to be the one where Trump cracks and calls her a bitch on national television, or is that getting saved for debate #3 when Trump reaches his frustration apex?
It seems hard to work that into the second debate due to the format. But in the third she can really mop the floor with him one-on-one so that's when he'd finally crack.
I'd lay decent odds there won't be a third debate.

tuffy

The third debate's going to happen even if it's just Clinton answering questions from the moderator next to Trump's empty podium. He might not show, but that's basically admitting it's all over since there won't be any chance to change the trajectory of his losing campaign after that.

Sephzilla

The third debate's going to happen even if it's just Clinton answering questions from the moderator next to Trump's empty podium. He might not show, but that's basically admitting it's all over since there won't be any chance to change the trajectory of his losing campaign after that.

Yeah, I don't think we'll get Trump no-showing a debate. I think even he and his advisers are intelligent enough to know that skipping the final debate would come across as a concession of defeat. Maybe.

Mahonay

Banned
It's hard to imagine a scenario now where Donald doesn't get rocked even harder than in the last debate. He's been busy giving Hillary even more material to use against him. Clinton was nervous at the start of the last one, I don't see that happening this go around.

I think if Trump were going to drop out of any of the debates, he would've done it earlier, especially when he was on the 'it's rigged' shit the first time. I kind of believe it would have, but his recovery numbers made him cocky and thought he could do it.

It's hard to imagine a scenario now where Donald doesn't get rocked even harder than in the last debate. He's been busy giving Hillary even more material to use against him. Clinton was nervous at the start of the last one, I don't see that happening this go around.

Eh? I thought she was rock solid all the way through, and I thought that was the general consensus. She's like the real life version of Amanda Wall, she's The Wall.

Yeah, I don't think we'll get Trump no-showing a debate. I think even he and his advisers are intelligent enough to know that skipping the final debate would come across as a concession of defeat. Maybe.

If it's one thing we should know by now. it's that no one can reason with Trump.

It's telling that Clinton, who resoundingly won the first debate, is nonetheless spending her week studiously preparing for the next one.

Meanwhile Trump, the person who needed to be spending time feverishly studying for the next round, is spending the week holding rallies and doing superficial debate prep, like this town hall. Doesn't he have a rally with Paul Ryan tomorrow, the day before the debate?

Zach

Artist's conception
1004019.gif

Well done, Ithil.

Mahonay

Banned
I think if Trump were going to drop out of any of the debates, he would've done it earlier, especially when he was on the 'it's rigged' shit the first time. I kind of believe it would have, but his recovery numbers made him cocky and thought he could do it.

Eh? I thought she was rock solid all the way through, and I thought that was the general consensus. She's like the real life version of Amanda Wall, she's The Wall.
She just seemed to be sticking too hard to a script and not going after Trump as hard as she did once the debate got past the first 10 minutes or so.

I mean she murdered Trump in that debate, there's no fucking question in that. But even then it feels like she could fuck him up even more this time.

She just seemed to be sticking too hard to a script and not going after Trump as hard as she did once the debate got past the first 10 minutes or so.

I mean she murdered Trump in that debate, there's no fucking question in that. But even then it feels like she could fuck him up even more this time.

I don't think she really has too. This next debate his biggest pitfall will be getting into an argument with an audience member asking a question. If starts going crazy like he did Holt on the Iraq War bit on some random ass person asking a question it will be a complete disaster.

Loxley

Considering Hillary knows where Trump can attack her (economy and taxes, etc) I feel like the next debate will probably go even better for her. Especially since he and Pence have given her a number of new and exciting things to work with.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't think she really has too. This next debate his biggest pitfall will be getting into an argument with an audience member asking a question. If starts going crazy like he did Holt on the Iraq War bit on some random ass person asking a question it will be a complete disaster.
Trump is definitely more likely to defeat himself in this scenario with out Hillary having to do a whole lot.

Considering Hillary knows where Trump can attack her (economy and taxes, etc) I feel like the next debate will probably go even better for her. Especially since he and Pence have given her a number of new and exciting things to work with.

But what about that bomb Wikileaks dropped this week? That should give Trump... oh wait.

Nah, that's pacing. Attacking your opponent nonstop in a debate is not really the best strategy. She actually attacked Trump very little in that entire debate if you go back. Just like speech-giving, there's a certain beat and rhyme to debate. Just going full flame-on for 90 minutes would exhaust the audience, make your opposition sympathetic, and probably worst of all, would set a precedent early-on that you may not be able to hold up for the entire allotted time.

Mahonay

Banned
Nah, that's pacing. Attacking your opponent nonstop in a debate is not really the best strategy. She actually attacked Trump very little in that entire debate if you go back. Just like speech-giving, there's a certain beat and rhyme to debate. Just going full flame-on for 90 minutes would exhaust the audience, make your opposition sympathetic, and probably worst of all, would set a precedent early-on that you may not be able to hold up for the entire allotted time.
I guess Trump just pisses me off to the point that my blood was boiling at the start of the last debate, listening to Trump say all sorts of bullshit with out getting shut down for straight up lying. He definitely did get called out more as it went further in, but yeah you're right.

johnsmith

remember me
Apparently one of the questioners was Al Baldasaro, the guy who was investigated by the secret service for saying Hillary should be shot for treason.

Oh noes...he's prepping for the debate you guys!! What a scoundrel.

There was mic problems for him...confirmed by the debate committee. It could have affected the audiences cheers if they couldnt hear him as well.
Crowd is not allowed to cheer, boo, or make any noises during the debate. Besides, people from the debate said they could hear him just fine as he talked louder to "compensate". Doesn't change the fact that what he said were lies or outrageous claims that have no basis in reality.

No he's right, first five minutes or so you could hear it in her voice. I'm later she was thinking, "Why the hell was I so nervous?"

I can understand it too, even though Trump is a clown, she not only had to win, but excel.

daveo42

Banned
Can't wait for him to complain about how hard the moderator is on him this upcoming Sunday, making him answer questions about difficult subjects like his past, his lack of hard plans on anything, his views on women and foreigners, and more.

Some of those questions...it was like they were tossing him volleyballs from 2ft away and not calling any strikes even if he whiffed.

digdug2k

I have a feeling this debate is going to be entirely about Bill Clinton's penis.

UCBooties

I'm not totally willing to write off the Sunday debate. The townhall format sets Clinton up for extremely loaded audience questions as well. A midwestern mother asking "how dare you call me any my family 'deplorable?'" is not going to be a good look now matter how well prepared Clinton is for the line of attack.

Put another way, I'm certain that Trump is going to lose because he is simply incapable of giving cogent answers to discreet questions, but I'm not convinced that Clinton is going to win. They could both come out of debate looking bad.

Also, never forget the ridiculous curve that Trump's behavior is graded on. If he manages to keep his temper and string three sentances together for most of the debate with no major gaffs we're going to get 5 days of stories about how "composed" and "presidential" he was.

Exile20

I'm not totally willing to write off the Sunday debate. The townhall format sets Clinton up for extremely loaded audience questions as well. A midwestern mother asking "how dare you call me any my family 'deplorable?'" is not going to be a good look now matter how well prepared Clinton is for the line of attack.

Put another way, I'm certain that Trump is going to lose because he is simply incapable of giving cogent answers to discreet questions, but I'm not convinced that Clinton is going to win. They could both come out of debate looking bad.

Also, never forget the ridiculous curve that Trump's behavior is graded on. If he manages to keep his temper and string three sentances together for most of the debate with no major gaffs we're going to get 5 days of stories about how "composed" and "presidential" he was.

After the Kaine/Pence debate. Substance doesn't matter.

Pence won on style alone. He had nothing to say and lied the whole time.

JZA

Answering questions coming from a crowd friendly to your platform can't be anything like being questioned by your direct opponent. It's like a quarterback practicing with his own team's cheerleaders on the defensive line.

lenovox1

That doesn't mean she was nervous. She certainly didn't appear nervous.

I can only assume she was merely waiting on which direction Trump would steer the debate and calculating when she could get her preplanned jabs in.

They do prescreen these questions. There won't be any loaded language like that. Only questions that can apply somewhat equally to both candidates.

No follow through that's why. What do you expect from a woman who's been fighting ISIS her ENTIRE ADULT LIFE

He's going to need a lot more prep:

CuIPPILVIAEkMqg.jpg

The way Trump speaks creates a field that supresses the brain functions of those who are exposed to it. After enough exposure, your IQ drops to the same level as his.

Someday science will figure out how it works.

I can feel it working. It's tremendously powerful. Just tremendous. I can't wait for him to lose, and get lost, so my IQ can go back to normal. Loser. He's such a loser. Sad!

I'm less concerned about that now than before the 1st debate. There were articles written about how Hillary was planning to get under his skin, and ones stating he just needed to be calm go "win", and he still couldnt hold it together for 20 minutes.

He can't even field a question on his running mate winning without going off on looney tangents.

I think all Hillary needs to do is mention that he lost the 1st debate and he'll lose this one.

I was feeling nervous before the first debate for the same reason-- all Trump has to do is not piss himself and the media will be falling over themselves to talk about how steady and composed he was.

But what are the TV ratings for this debate projected to be, compared to the first one? Half? He bombed the first impression. Even if he rights the ship, it may not matter now simply because no one undecided is watching anymore.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

If Trump doesn't show for the third debate than it'll be open season on the Republican party.

"Donald Trump doesn't release his tax returns, he lies, he cheats, he blusters, he insults, he makes wild promises, he breaks his promises and he doesn't even show up to the debate. Why is he even running for President? He's running because the Republican party chose him as their best nominee for President. That raises issues of trust and judgment and ability not just for Donald Trump but for the whole of the party that nominated him, that supported him, that endorsed him; that nominated a delusional, narcissistic, untrustworthy, incompetent, cheating, lying, loudmouthed asshole for the greatest office in the world. Don't vote for them."

UCBooties

If Trump doesn't show for the third debate than it'll be open season on the Republican party.

"Donald Trump doesn't release his tax returns, he lies, he cheats, he blusters, he insults, he makes wild promises, he breaks his promises and he doesn't even show up to the debate. Why is he even running for President? He's running because the Republican party chose him as their best nominee for President. That raises issues of trust and judgment and ability not just for Donald Trump but for the whole of the party that nominated him, that supported him, that endorsed him; that nominated a delusional, narcissistic, untrustworthy, incompetent, cheating, lying, loudmouthed asshole for the greatest office in the world. Don't vote for them."

Oh please, let me have this dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom